September 22, 2014 | 707 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Mally Beauty - Poreless Face Defender

rated 5 of 5 on 9/5/2014 3:48:00 PM More reviews by babycat1973

This is one of the most amazing products that I have ever encountered. It's like a primer, but it's not. It's like a powder, but it's not. It's in a league all of it's own! This looks like an opaque acrylic block, it's hard and at first you don't see how on rather that will transfer to your face. But it does! It blurs lines, does wonders for pores and mattifies skin perfectly. Seriously, I have fairly oily skin, but my face was still matt at 7.30pm after applying it at 8.30 this morning! I've been using it for a few weeks now and the results have been the same every day. I am surprised to read that some people feel that it dries their skin and accentuates wrinkles; I find that it does the exact opposite. I suppose we're all different, hey. To conclude, I don't think that I'll ever be without this stuff again, it's wonderful.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/16/2014 11:44:00 PM More reviews by bitterrose1025

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I purchased this after hearing such great things about it. It is expensive! But I splurge and I'm glad I did. I do I think it is a must have, not sure. It lives up to it's claims. It does keep my face from being a grease ball through out the day. It doesn't leave me powdery or cakey either. However, you can over it and give your face a kinda white cast. I usually don't like silicone type products on my face but this didn't break me out. If you have oily skin and have the extra money to spend on something like this, I say give it try.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/16/2014 6:33:00 PM More reviews by antolin1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have a love/hate relationship with this product. I have come to find it doesn't work with all foundations. But for those foundations/products it does work well with its truly an HG item.

I have dry skin and I use moisturizing BB creams and oil based foundations. I also hate the matte look with a vengeance and abhor having to set my face with powder bc I have to sit with that damn mattified look until it all soaks and blends (which takes quite a while for me). I also can't stand having to spray may face to make it more dewy and less matte when wearing foundation, but it also drives me crazy that my wonderful BB cream leaves way more shine than I prefer. Enter Mally Poreless Face Defender ($40) to solve these issues.

This works wonders with my uber moisturizing Clinique BB cream; it tones down the shine and keeps me from having to pile on powder which totally negates the purpose of buying and using a tinted cream with nifty ingredients to benefit my skin and allow it to breathe. It also works great with my NARS cream foundation compact. Using it with these two products it actually makes my skin look a lot better IMO and I get no buildup. However, this does NOT work with my liquid foundations - I have no idea why. It smudges and picks up/lifts the liquid foundation off which is really strange bc its the Nars and BB are lighter and tend to fade throughout the day. Another issue I have is that the case is lame and cumbersome and I do feel this is overpriced for what it is. Regardless, this is a life saver for summer months when I want to give my face a break from heavy foundations bc it is such a yin to the yang of my uber shiny BB cream.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/15/2014 2:05:00 PM More reviews by 4eyes

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Such a neat idea, but this was a miss for me. It's a silicone type primer intended to be used instead of a powder compact OVER your makeup to kill shine. It does totally blur and mattify your face beautifully. HOWEVER:

**Strike one: The container was a little too big and boxy to easily carry in my purse, I've heard there's also a travel version, so that may help.

**Strike 2: the applicator sponge is at least twice as thick as you need and DOES NOT FIT IN THE COMPACT. It's a good inch thick and abt 2 1/2" long. What am I supposed to do, carry the sponge around in a separate ziplock baggie? I know, I know, the travel version, but the Sephora I shopped at didn't have the travel version in stock and in fact the saleslady who sold this to me didn't even tell me there WAS a travel version for purse. I really would've liked to have known that before dropping a good $40 on this. I need a powder/blotter/mattifier I can apply all day, I am not Beyonce. I don't have an entourage following me around carrying my bulky mu and freshening my mu for me.

**Strike 3: the results were inconsistent over makeup. You have to dab just the rt amt. Too much and you have a cakey mess and it lifts off your mu, or balls up. Too little and you don't get the mattifying, oil-killing effect. I could not consistently produce a good result. That's the kiss of death for me. I also tried it under mu and that was a little more consistent but ....After using several times, I noticed that my skin looked dehydrated (aka, superficial dryness wrinkles). I re-read the ingredients and noticed that one of them is SILICA. Silica is used to DEHYDRATE things (dry flowers, keep shoes from getting moldy, dry a damp basement, etc.) It sucks up water, not oil. Not good.

Too bad. I won't be re-purchasing. A young person w/ very moist skin, living in a humid climate, using the travel version, who maybe wears it alone and doesn't need to worry about this messing up her mu, might like it better. If it was reformulated to be less drying and easier to give consistent results, and with a smaller, easier to use applicator, I would be interested.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/1/2014 7:05:00 PM More reviews by invisiblemonstar

I LOVE THIS STUFF. It's perfect! I've seen it on QVC, and one day in Ulta I picked up Mally's 'bullet-proof essentials' kit on a whim, which contained this and a couple other products. I was skeptical of an 'invisible' powder, and it's mattifying potential. But I was blown away the first time I tried it! You have to be careful not to overuse this product, or it might look a little... too flat? If that makes any sense. I use a wedge sponge, dab it in the product, and blot it on my face, and viola! the shine DISAPPEARS. I'm not overly oily, but I get shiny very easily and this completely masks it. It's phenomenal! If you're even thinking about investing in this product, do it!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/16/2014 10:04:00 PM More reviews by ARLOPEZ324

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I saw one of my favorite beauty vloggers use this product and I had to run to Ulta and buy it. It's pretty expensive, but being that I have EXTREMELY oily skin (not just t-zone oily, but all over oily) I had to give it a shot. I was expecting some type of miracle product that makes your pores disappear like the vlogger said it would, that unfortunately was not the case. There is an appearance of a decrease in pore size, but I don't know, I was expecting better. It does get rid of the oil, but only for an hour or so. Then afterwards, I feel as though my skin was even more oily than it was before. I was honestly a little disappointed with this product. I know there really is no miracle product out there to reduce the size of my gigantic pores, but I guess I just had my hopes up.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2014 12:38:00 PM More reviews by bteaster5

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Other

My "cannot live without" product. Bans shine all day.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/31/2014 3:53:00 AM More reviews by mmherman

I usually use Wet N Wild Reserve Your Cabana powder to set my foundation. I have no complaints about it. It sets my makeup and gives me a nice glittery glow. I like it, but that doesn't stop me from wanting to try new things. And believe me I wanted to try Mally's Poreless Face Defender ever since I saw it years ago on QVC.

It just looks so different. I could have had a holy grail status powder and I would have said, "FU HG powder... for just a second.... because I'm trying this new stuff....I love you and I will be back to you" *kisses*.

So does heaven sing when I use this odd silicone suspended jelly-like powder? No, there is no heavenly choir. Does it set my foundation and make it last for a few hours? Yep, it sure does. Can it get cakey and make me look old if I get a lil to zealous or heavy handed? Yep indeed it can and does. Does it blow my Wet N Wild Cabana powder out of the water? Nope. I would say they are comparable. The finish is different. Mally's Face Defender is more natural looking, but it has about the same lasting power as a setting powder. It does look better than a traditional setting powder that isn't tinted or invigerated with some luminizing properties, but it isn't the "revolution" Mally claims it to be. It is just a different option. A unique looking option, but not the end-all-be all option.

That being said I like the compact the product comes in. The sponge is nice. I wish it wasn't so hard to get replacement sponges and I wish they weren't so expensive. I would buy more, but I am not forking out $25.00 for 3 sponges. Sorry chick. Not happening. I will just try to wash out my sponge I got with the foundation because I think it is probably the best applicator for this product. I don't think brushes would work well, but I haven't tried them to be honest. I don't think fingers are a good option either.

My one real complaint is that the product gets kind of gross looking after a few uses. It seems to pick up any old foundation on the sponge and makes the product look murky. I'm not a germ-a-phobe, but I imagine if you are the murky quality might give you the heeby-geebies. It isn't a deal breaker for me. I can easily clean it up with a cottonball, but it does remove some product. I think if I was more vigilant at keeping my applicators clean I wouldn't have the issue.

So overall I think this is a nice product. Not earth-shaking or anything, but still nice. This is again another product that you can live without, but I think is worth trying if you are a fellow makeup junky. :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/25/2014 9:27:00 AM More reviews by PianoGirl1985

I am on the fence with this product. On one hand it trully is fantastic in the beginning when you first dab this stuff on your oily areas and poof! oils are gone and the face looks flawless. However what bothers me about this product is that after several hours of wearing it my face becomes even more oilier than it was. As I look in the mirror it seems fine and still no visible pores but if I touch my face i can feel a layer of sleek greasiness. What's up with that?! The only explanation I can think of is this silicon based product sits on top of the skin, minimizing the look of pores and makes the face appear shine-free but since it doesn't go anywhere I can FEEL the product on my face blended with the oils and perhaps that's what makes it feel so greasy. I'll continue to use this since there's nothing better on the market so far but I am keeping my eyes open for other things.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2014 5:38:00 PM More reviews by ltgee

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

i am always hesitant to purchase makeup with silicones in it but i had to try this based on such awesome reviews and mally's super cute youtube videos! and her comment about, "no more setting powder because it ages you", is SO true, now that i am 38 & have lost some oils on my cheeks and around my eyes, i cant wear setting powder anymore, it just looks too powdery.

sells for $40.00 i believe but i got this for $20.00 after it went on sale and i got an additional $10.00 off coupon AND free shipping. the compact is HUGE and there seems to be a lot of product. the sponge is big, yes, but its wonderfully soft and bouncy. i use this only on my super oily t-zone and i swear, this is the only product i have used thus far in my life that actually, truly WORKS! i stay matte! no more greasies by lunchtime, its 2:30 pm and i still look great!

i put the compact and the sponge in a ziplock to take back and forth with me to my bf's house. not a big deal. i think she just came out with a travel sized one? i will get my hands on that!

i am impressed and am now looking into her cream foundation :)