Mally Beauty Poreless Face Defender

3.8

Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Dimethicone, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, PCA Dimethicone, Silica.

on 2/20/2015 7:35:00 PM

This is a silicone gel pressed into the compact, and is supposed to help minimize the look of pores and fine lines, and protect makeup from morning till night.

I really wanted to try this product, because Emily (emilynoel83) is always raving about it. I got it from QVC, along with some other Mally products. I have tried it several times, and I am really disappointed. I have combination skin, and I wanted this to help control oil, keep the foundation matte, and minimize pores. Well, the product did NONE of that.

This product accentuates every pore, fine line, and dry/flaky spot you may have. When you first apply it, the makeup actually looks really good, but after about 2 hours or so, the problems start - this product actually breaks up the foundation and makes it look splotchy; it also settles into pores and fine lines. I have applied it exactly how Mally suggests - dabbing it on gently with the sponge that is provided. The amount of product also makes no difference - I have tried using a little and a lot.

Overall, not really worth the price of $40. For people with normal skin, it might work. It breaks up the makeup on oily skin, and it sticks to flaky spots on dry skin.

on 12/31/2014 1:07:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Wow! I was pleasantly surprised by this product. This stuff does everything the Porefessional doesn't: it hides pores, isn't greasy, and actually keeps your skin matte. FYI I have ridiculously oily skin... I'm talking oily after two hours. This stuff definitely buys my makeup some time throughout the day, and makes my makeup look totally flawless.

I bought this in the Mally package sold at Ulta, but will definitely buy the full sized version when I run out.

My first review pls be kind... I have oily skin and sweat a lot but this product keeps everything in place!

on 11/18/2014 12:37:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I've tried setting powders and blotting tissues to minimize the shine and oily look I get on my forehead and around the nose with no success until I got this product to try. Can I just say how much I recommend it to anyone that has the same problem as I do with shine. The product goes on clear, it's easy to apply and it really controls the shine like no other! The only negative it the package it's very bulky and also the sponge that comes with so it, I do believe it now comes in a traveling compact but for its price might as well splurge on the regular one! love this product

on 10/1/2014 6:49:00 PM

I have an oily t-zone. I would even say that at certain times, it is very oily. This product, which I picked up as a beauty steal at Ulta, does a good job of keeping the oil at bay. I would say that it does a better job with some foundations than with others, which is why I can't give it a 5. Today, for example, after using this approximately 8 hours ago, I have gotten oily to the point that I required a powder or blotting paper touchup twice. This is a typical result with the foundation I used today, which is MAC face & body. For some reason, the result was better with Laura Mercier TM, and I don't even use the oil free version. It is also a little bit clunky to carry around for touchups, especially since the sponge it comes with is phenomenal. Overall, I definitely recommend this product and will purchase it again.

on 9/5/2014 3:48:00 PM

This is one of the most amazing products that I have ever encountered. It's like a primer, but it's not. It's like a powder, but it's not. It's in a league all of it's own! This looks like an opaque acrylic block, it's hard and at first you don't see how on rather that will transfer to your face. But it does! It blurs lines, does wonders for pores and mattifies skin perfectly. Seriously, I have fairly oily skin, but my face was still matt at 7.30pm after applying it at 8.30 this morning! I've been using it for a few weeks now and the results have been the same every day. I am surprised to read that some people feel that it dries their skin and accentuates wrinkles; I find that it does the exact opposite. I suppose we're all different, hey. To conclude, I don't think that I'll ever be without this stuff again, it's wonderful.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I purchased this after hearing such great things about it. It is expensive! But I splurge and I'm glad I did. I do I think it is a must have, not sure. It lives up to it's claims. It does keep my face from being a grease ball through out the day. It doesn't leave me powdery or cakey either. However, you can over it and give your face a kinda white cast. I usually don't like silicone type products on my face but this didn't break me out. If you have oily skin and have the extra money to spend on something like this, I say give it try.

on 8/16/2014 6:33:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I have a love/hate relationship with this product. I have come to find it doesn't work with all foundations. But for those foundations/products it does work well with its truly an HG item.

I have dry skin and I use moisturizing BB creams and oil based foundations. I also hate the matte look with a vengeance and abhor having to set my face with powder bc I have to sit with that damn mattified look until it all soaks and blends (which takes quite a while for me). I also can't stand having to spray may face to make it more dewy and less matte when wearing foundation, but it also drives me crazy that my wonderful BB cream leaves way more shine than I prefer. Enter Mally Poreless Face Defender ($40) to solve these issues.

This works wonders with my uber moisturizing Clinique BB cream; it tones down the shine and keeps me from having to pile on powder which totally negates the purpose of buying and using a tinted cream with nifty ingredients to benefit my skin and allow it to breathe. It also works great with my NARS cream foundation compact. Using it with these two products it actually makes my skin look a lot better IMO and I get no buildup. However, this does NOT work with my liquid foundations - I have no idea why. It smudges and picks up/lifts the liquid foundation off which is really strange bc its the Nars and BB are lighter and tend to fade throughout the day. Another issue I have is that the case is lame and cumbersome and I do feel this is overpriced for what it is. Regardless, this is a life saver for summer months when I want to give my face a break from heavy foundations bc it is such a yin to the yang of my uber shiny BB cream.

on 8/15/2014 2:05:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Such a neat idea, but this was a miss for me. It's a silicone type primer intended to be used instead of a powder compact OVER your makeup to kill shine. It does totally blur and mattify your face beautifully. HOWEVER:

**Strike one: The container was a little too big and boxy to easily carry in my purse, I've heard there's also a travel version, so that may help.

**Strike 2: the applicator sponge is at least twice as thick as you need and DOES NOT FIT IN THE COMPACT. It's a good inch thick and abt 2 1/2" long. What am I supposed to do, carry the sponge around in a separate ziplock baggie? I know, I know, the travel version, but the Sephora I shopped at didn't have the travel version in stock and in fact the saleslady who sold this to me didn't even tell me there WAS a travel version for purse. I really would've liked to have known that before dropping a good $40 on this. I need a powder/blotter/mattifier I can apply all day, I am not Beyonce. I don't have an entourage following me around carrying my bulky mu and freshening my mu for me.

**Strike 3: the results were inconsistent over makeup. You have to dab just the rt amt. Too much and you have a cakey mess and it lifts off your mu, or balls up. Too little and you don't get the mattifying, oil-killing effect. I could not consistently produce a good result. That's the kiss of death for me. I also tried it under mu and that was a little more consistent but ....After using several times, I noticed that my skin looked dehydrated (aka, superficial dryness wrinkles). I re-read the ingredients and noticed that one of them is SILICA. Silica is used to DEHYDRATE things (dry flowers, keep shoes from getting moldy, dry a damp basement, etc.) It sucks up water, not oil. Not good.

Too bad. I won't be re-purchasing. A young person w/ very moist skin, living in a humid climate, using the travel version, who maybe wears it alone and doesn't need to worry about this messing up her mu, might like it better. If it was reformulated to be less drying and easier to give consistent results, and with a smaller, easier to use applicator, I would be interested.

I LOVE THIS STUFF. It's perfect! I've seen it on QVC, and one day in Ulta I picked up Mally's 'bullet-proof essentials' kit on a whim, which contained this and a couple other products. I was skeptical of an 'invisible' powder, and it's mattifying potential. But I was blown away the first time I tried it! You have to be careful not to overuse this product, or it might look a little... too flat? If that makes any sense. I use a wedge sponge, dab it in the product, and blot it on my face, and viola! the shine DISAPPEARS. I'm not overly oily, but I get shiny very easily and this completely masks it. It's phenomenal! If you're even thinking about investing in this product, do it!

Popular Primer/ Correctors