September 3, 2014 | 431 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Smashbox - halo yellow color correcting hydrating powder

rated 2 of 5 on 5/29/2013 5:39:00 AM More reviews by annie992

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I found it discounted for $25 and decided to pick it up. The packaging is very poor as the lid doesn't secure on in any way and can slip off easily and spill any of the extra powder you may have shaved off. It was NOT hydrating to any degree and I found it to be pretty drying actually. In terms of color correction- it was OK, it seemed to wear off within an hour or two which was disappointing for such an expensive product.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/9/2013 10:55:00 PM More reviews by kaicg

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This saved my life! It was the morning of my birthday and I had an allergic reaction along my entire jaw, it was broken out and an angry red (it resembled stage 3-4 acne!) How was I supposed to go out?! I decided to try this out in hopes of being able to at least go out in public for my birthday (I was that self conscious at the time). I paired this with dermablend from vichy and they worked together beautifully. You couldn't even tell! It really exceeded my expectations. The only downside is that I haven't really needed to use it much since.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/24/2013 7:11:00 PM More reviews by shimmergirl1123

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Found this at my CCO and had to get it as I have been dying to try a yellow powder. I LOVE the packaging of Smashbox Halo, so I really enjoyed this packaging as well. The shaver is just so convenient for dispensing the perfect amount if powder. I like the yellow tone of this a lot, but I find that you have to use a very light hand with this powder. If you pack it on too much it is very difficult to blend. Also, doesn't really do much in the oil-control department, which is what I look for in a setting powder. I can only use this with my really mattifying foundations that keep me pretty matte anyway. I would recommend this for anyone with dry skin though!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/18/2012 2:11:00 PM More reviews by azmuslima

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have mixed emotions on this product! I love that you sheer off some powder each day and its freshly ground/milled for you. I also like the coverage this gives me when i apply over a concealer under my eyes since the yellow counteracts my dark circles and hides them well. On the otherhand I hate that after a few hours it settles in creases and/or wears off and doesnt look good as the day goes on. This powder is ridiculously expensive for a fair to mediocre product.I think the packaging and novelty of instant powder grinding sold me and the actual product is not what it's promised to be. Will not buy again

rated 2 of 5 on 5/28/2012 9:39:00 PM More reviews by puggy1234

When you first put this on, there is a difference in how you skin looks. I think this wears off pretty quickly though. A few hours into my day, my skin looks back to normal. Not sure of the trick. It is a VERY expensive product that doesn't do a whole lot. Although, it did not irritate my skin. I'm not sure if I will re-buy. I will try the clinique version to compare.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/26/2012 9:54:00 AM More reviews by NancyM

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Other

This product wins the "most wasteful packaging of all time" award. It's got a snap on lid and if you leave any loose powder that you've shaved into the upper part of the container, it pops out and blows everywhere the next time you open it.

You have to dump out any powder you don't use during application to make sure you don't make a holy yellow mess everywhere.

I have rosacea and sometimes I just need a little touch of yellow to neutralize the red. I thought this would be just the thing but no.

On top of the packaging, the powder is too heavy. Unless you use a teeny, tiny amount and fluff it on to your face, it looks cakey.

Side note: Don't buy products you've never tried before at a store that doesn't accept returns on opened products, especially if they're as expensive as this one.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/24/2012 5:34:00 PM More reviews by sharenb

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This stuff is GREAT for daily wear. I've always had certain red areas around my face (my nose and forehead) and this actually neutralizes everything! This is also great for days I want to skip foundation because it evens out mine skin tone without adding actual color (it goes on quite translucent) and never appears cakey or powdery! Its just such an awesome finishing powder and has never made me break out either.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/21/2011 10:24:00 AM More reviews by maliastyle

Find my review of the original Halo (I'm NC25 and found a perfect match in Light) and you'll see I am madly in love with it. I'm not a Smashbox fiend by any means, so I had no idea there was even a color correcting version. When I discovered it, I knew I had to have it.

Halo Yellow comes in a smaller container, and instead of the flip up opening, comes with a twist-off lid. The shaving system is still there, which I love, because I can really control how much I want to use, and there's virtually no mess when I travel.

For fairer girls who found Fair too pink, and Light to be just somewhat off, Yellow should be perfect. It doesn't work extremely well as a color corrector - it just doesn't have enough pigment. Yet as a finishing powder it's wonderful, because while it's very yellow in the pot, it's actually got a transluscent finish (with a yellow undertone). This doesn't diminish redness on its own, but certainly helps (on a scale of one to 10, it's probably a four).

Having said that, if I use my Sonia Kashuk flat top brush, I can pack on this color where I'm pink, then buff out with a larger powder brush. This method takes longer, and I have to make sure I'm really moisturized, or else it looks artificial and obvious. But it works.

At $45, is it worth it? Probably not for everyone, but the mix of this and the regular Halo in Light works for me so well that I'm getting my money's worth.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/14/2011 7:36:00 PM More reviews by blast56

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I bought this to even out my skin tone and unfortunately it made my oily skin break out in these strange yellow pimples. I am not prone to pimples even though my skin is oily. That aside, there wasn't a huge noticeable difference in toning down the slight redness that a good foundation won't fix. The packaging is clever with shaving the right amount but in the end it just didn't do as promised for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/8/2011 8:08:00 PM More reviews by Katie75007

I *LOVE* Halo (the original); I have been using it religiously since it debuted, so I was excited to try the corrective yellow version. My skin isn't extraordinarily red, but it was recommended to me to even out my complexion. I wasn't disappointed! I love that it hydrates (it really does), softens and leaves a flawless finish, just like the original. It makes my face appear brighter and smoother. I love it!