July 25, 2014 | 1784 users online

Fragrances - Diptyque - Olene

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/25/2013 6:38:00 PM More reviews by sarahfeeni

This is my third fragrance from Diptyque. I am not a huge perfume person and though I have an insanely strong sense of smell, I am not super skilled in describing in exact precision what a perfume smells like so bear with me :)

Olene is the goddess of flowers so, as other reviewers have said, this is a pure floral perfume. Jasmine, honeysuckle and the tiniest bit of gardenia are what I smell but to me there is no one scent which dominates.

It is EXTREMELY strong. I had a sample bottle which took me a while to get through. After purchasing the actual bottle I had to realize how much more product you get from one pump vs the tiny sample bottle. I way overdid it the first time I used it and it started to give me a headache. I had to change clothes to avoid getting a headache (and I really don't ever get headaches). My clothes smelled amazing the next day though! So the lesson with is (for me at least) is to use it lightly. A little goes a LONG way. I am glad I purchased the smaller bottle.

Truly, this is a gorgeous scent and I am glad I finally have it.

I miss the old Diptyque bottles. Not a fan of the new oval shape. But I love the labels and those haven't changed.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/1/2013 10:43:00 AM More reviews by Elinorcordelia

Really gorgeous scent - people also comment on my perfume when I wear this, though someone did once ask me if I was making jasmine tea! I agree with some other reviews that at first it is a little strong, but after a moment it is a truly gorgeous smell. So summery, and quite unusual. Adore diptyque!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/27/2012 1:52:00 PM More reviews by wigsnatcher

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

Best points:
-Long lasting with inoffensive sillage, really wears more like an EdP rather than EdT
-Excellent jasmine note - not too ferral like Lust by Lush, but definitely intense enough to please lovers of this flower
-Classy, sturdy bottle
-Good for day wear, especially in the spring
-Perfect for attaining that fresh, clean femme smell

Not so great points:
-The opening note is VERY strong and VERY rotten smelling
-The dry-down is gorgeous but pretty basic; this is a non-distinct fragrance despite the oodles of jasmine
-Left me slightly headachey - beware migrane sufferers!

I bought my bottle for 50% off, which I think was worth it. I don't think I would have been willing to pay full price for this.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/31/2011 5:08:00 PM More reviews by countess77

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have a big bottle, and use it mainly in the summer when I go to evening parties or weddings. So thatīs why I wouldnīt re-purchase, becuase it is a big bottle. But, I like this very floral and summery scent. Let me tell you a story; at work an iranian woman approached me telling me that I smelled like the garden in her childhood home, of orange flowers. I think it also smells of honeysuckle. Very feminine and a bit sweet.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/16/2011 2:25:00 PM More reviews by pansylady

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I clearly remember the day I first sampled this lovely fragrance- it was a warm, beautiful September day in Stockholm-
As Olene wove a wonderful comforting aura around me, I felt a sweet waveof nostalgia- it took a little while, but then I realized why- Olene is a scent double for Camay, a soap which was very popular when I ws a child- How I loved the softly fragrant pink, yellow, blue and white soap bars with a pretty cameo of a woman's head in profile embossed on them- thanks for bringing back this lovely aroma, Diptyque!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/1/2011 12:37:00 PM More reviews by Thewhitefeather

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Other, Other, Cool Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

A review below mentions this smells like Mock Orange Flower (which naturally smells exactly like Neroli) but I have to disagree. Neroli is one of my favorite fragrances and I do not find it as the main note here. This is a lovely white floral; a gentle blend of many white flowers, neroli resemblance is down to a minimum, or at least no more than equal billing with the gardenias, jasmines and other white breezes which abound in this fragrance. A beautiful, graceful white flower blend, not unique, not out of the ordinary, but in some way it's more beautiful than most.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 8/26/2010 6:35:00 AM More reviews by tntntn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Although they tend to be linear, I mostly love Diptyque fragrances. Maybe I have a short attention span but I quite like one-dimensional fragrances, if the note is interesting, pretty or unusual enough. Olene isn't particularly nice or interesting to me. It's a very loud white "JASMINE!!!! HELLO!!!! I AM WEARING JASMINE!!! DID I MENTION THE JASMINE??" floral.

It reminds me of the 1980s - not Grace Jones and Wall Street, but the "classy 1980s" when it was hip to decorate your home with Pierrots. Thing is, even though it makes me feel like I'm a bob-haired Manhattan gallerist hosting a dinner party with Talking Heads playing in the background, it's not what I want from life in 2010.

8 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/6/2010 4:29:00 PM More reviews by haddison

This should be renamed Syringa, because the scent is a perfect recreation of that flower (Philadelphus lewisii), also known as mock orange. Lighter than orange blossom, with a honeysuckle note. It immediately brings back warm summer days, with white blossoms along woodland paths breathing forth their sweetness.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/12/2009 8:03:00 PM More reviews by dtangled

I am hooked on Olene and I think in general all Diptyque products are totally underrated. Everyone in America overlooks them which is a total mistake - this is a company that has been devoted to fragrances for 60 years! The fragrances are on the expensive side but last a long time. Olene is a light and fresh narcissus and jasmine scent. I have a special spray technique learned from one of my chic London friends: four spritzes on each arm so the smell wafts out pleasantly as you move but never overpowers.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/28/2008 3:26:00 PM More reviews by mybeautyblog

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Olene has a lot of white flowers, wisteria, narciss, and for me a lot of jasmin. It is not heavy nor sweet, and though it might be quite simple, it is a perfect uncomplicated white floral, but not a tad boring or too less unsophisticated. The packaging is lovely, the price not so much. I am lemming for longer for it as it gives me a kind of inner strength and good modd to take things more simple:-) I also like Chasse aux Papillons, which is softer and sweeter, but they go in a similar direction.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No