Emu Oil

4.5

Emu (dromaius novaehollandiae) oil

Skin: Very Oily, Deep Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I haven't had this long enough to attest to its effects. My initial review is on the basics.

After doing research, I paid extra (about $10 more) for the "certified" version at a vitamin store. The non-certified versions have extra, unnecessary ingredients which lessen its efficacy.

There's absolutely no scent which I love. It is on the greasy side but it absorbs quickly into your skin. My bottle comes with a dropper that kind of makes a mess.

This products thickens if stored in less than 65. The instructions say to heat it up in the sun or place the bottle in some hot water to liqify it. I keep mine in my restroom and after only two days, it has thickened considerably.

It reminds me of jojoba oil, but this is more greasy. Nevertheless, it is more emollient than jojoba oil.

I am using it for some acne issues and to try to thicken my hairline by massaging it in every other day. I will update my review in a month or so to report on if it's something working.

This is the best skin moisturizer I have ever ever ever EVER used. Getting used to the fact that it is the fat from an animal might take several applications to get used to, but when you do you will be astonished at how incredibly soft and supple your skin will be. To be honest I do not think I will ever go back to conventional moisturizers, because this is my holy grail oil! I use the EMU oil from Sprouts and it is non greasy and sinks into the skin in minutes. It also helps hyperpigmentation which is amazing. LOVE!

I've tried a lot of oils and emu oil is by far my favorite. It's hard to find an oil that moisturizes acne prone skin without clogging, most of the "safe" oils are too drying (grapeseed) or just don't moisturize enough (maracuja). This one actually seemed to penetrate and do something other than being greasy. It grosses me out that it's from an animal, but I use lanolin for my lips and that's animal based as well so I just try not to think about it!

Skin: Very Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure

SUPER hydrating, feels a little greasy but still pretty light for being an oil. The best moisturizing oil I have found.

Skin: Very Dry, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Fine

wow. what a great oil for dry skin types. have read alot about emu oil. as far as i know, correct me if i am wrong but emu oil and copper peptides are the only ingredients that are proven to thicken skin? anyways, i have such thin skin and i hate it. like anyone else here i am in the pursuit for my best skin. its all genetics for me. my mother has very paper thin skin. and i also believe STUPID dieting over the years has played a part in the thinness of my skin. the third thing is i think i abused lactic acid during uni years. ugh, the things we do. its also of course very dry and i cannot exfoliate too often, more than once a week can somethimes cause redness and stinging even when done gently.
did i notice a difference with emu oil? YES!!!
i had alot of the redness around my nose and darkness around my eyes lighten with this. i don't ever rmbr having even a patch of dry skin while using this. i sometimes would mix three drops with my paulas choice mask/moisturizer OR would use it straight up alone.
its not super cheap compared to like almond or olive oil but i feel like its justified. it sinks in really quick whereas olive oil would just coat my skin it was gross. the brand i use is called kalaya and it comes in two sizes in a pump bottle of glass. it says safe for babies on the packaging. it has no smell and feels luxorious.

on 7/25/2014 1:25:00 PM

Emu Oil is filled with omegas that actually penetrate subdermally. No fragrance, and repairs the worst dry skin. In the winter I mix a couple drops in with my Paula's Choice moisturizer and my face is dewy and glowing.

on 4/8/2014 6:26:00 PM

I just wanted everybody to know that this stuff is AMAZING for burns, like, seriously miracle stuff.

I purchased some National Treasures MSM Emu Oil cream from Selfridges because I had read great reviews and wanted to give it a try for my problem skin. I did use it as a face moisturiser a few times but didn't really like it for that particular use - so I was a little annoyed that I had wasted money on yet another product.

One day I was use hot tongs to curl my hair and I burnt my forehead, really quite bad - it was very noticeable and so painful and I was going on holiday a few days later, so I was more annoyed than I usually would be! Unfortunately this happened whilst I was away from home but the next day, when I got home, I remembered reading on the Emu Oil cream label that it was for burns, so I layered it on THICK to my burn every 30 minutes (not exaggerating) and it was gone within a couple of days, in time for my holiday! I was so pleased.

I actually stupidly burnt my forehead with my tongs again a couple of months later (I should learn how to use them properly), this time I was in the US and didn't have my Emu Oil with me - the burn took AGES to go, even using other creams such as Aloe Vera gel, etc.

Honestly, Emu Oil is a truly miracle product for burns, I couldn't believe how quickly it got rid of my nasty forehead wound!

I will forever have a pot of this in my beauty cabinet!

on 4/7/2014 3:16:00 PM

PROS:
Leaves skin plump and moisturized, making wrinkles less prominent
Can use with dermarolling because it's all natural
Doesn't break me out
Soothes redness

CONS:
Feels like oil on your face (duh)
It is oil squeezed from an animal (yuck)

Worth it? Definitely! I've tried every oil possible and this is definitely the best!

Update: Still awesome, I just forgot to say the brand I use is Emu gold and it works great, don't know if there are better ones for cheaper, but definitely don't buy anything more expensive than this!

on 3/25/2014 6:37:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Worst thing I could have done was to use emu oil on my face. I ended up with the worst acne that has left scars that I'll never get rid of unless I laser. I could only suggest sparing use on your face. I still think it would be excellent for eczema and psoriasis.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

I've used this in the past then went off and tried many other things but have since gone back for two reasons one its completely natural and second it doesn't break me out but provides excellent moisturizing . As i have combination/sensitive/cant make its mind up skin I use this oil as my winter moisturizer and only at night. I love love love this and will be using it for many years to come =)

Popular Face Skincare Products