April 18, 2014 | 1831 users online

Fragrances - Tom Ford - Black Orchid EDP

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2014 9:10:00 AM More reviews by spaflam

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I got a free spray sample of this from Sephora and there is no way I will purchase a full bottle. It is very strong and complex and also long lasting (I can still smell it the next day - and you need to showere to get it off.

I loved the top note(s) initially - with a sweet floral with a gourmand quality but the woodsy/cinnabarish base notes do not work on me at all.

Too heavy, and way too sexy for work.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/2/2014 4:06:00 PM More reviews by fabulyss

A very strong and long-lasting fragrance. You'll still smell it the next morning (it's arguably better the 2nd day). I've been nursing a 1.5ml sample for years because this is too strong to wear everyday and I ended up sort of forgetting about it. Fast-foward to a couple of months ago when I attended a fundraiser for a local theater (that had a celeb in attendance) at a super trendy nightclub when I suddenly smelled Black Orchid in the air. At first I assumed a passerby was wearing it (this fragrance is immediately identifiable) but then I realized the scent wasn't dissipating...the club must have sprayed it all around before the party had started. One could argue that dousing a club in expensive perfume is a cheesy way to convey class and sophistication but for some reason it totally worked. Smelling this perfume as an "outsider" made me realize how evocative and powerful the scent actually is when it's in the right setting. In my opinion this is meant to be worn for a sexy evening out with dim lighting and great music blaring. It also begs to be worn with vintage or leather - it's not a jeans and a t-shirt fragrance. I will continue to purchase only sample vials of this because I could never plow through the 3.4oz bottle (plus A LOT of people wear it now so it's not terribly unique). And a side note: for all of you that like this one, give FM's Portrait of a Lady a try too.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/13/2014 10:38:00 AM More reviews by nekroze

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is my very first scent review here not because this is the best one I have ever smelled but because it is so overrated. I wanted to get this for my boyfriend and maybe for myself. The worst thing about this scent ( or any other) that it feels really synthetic. The notes tangle and not in a good complex sophisticated way. Powder,chocolate and flowers do not combine to create a unique scent, I just feel each one creating a cloud of different cheap diffusive scent . It didn't linger either which is not a good thing at this price. I would have maybe loved it a little better if it wasn't so praised but the truth is the scent is nowhere near being a niche perfume.
Each to their own but you don't become a femme fatale by wearing a scent. Tom Ford likes to use sexuality for his marketing and looking at the comments he is very successful since we all know that sex sells. There are thousands of unique smells on the world and I can assure you if the "sex" had a smell it would be something more unattainable than a bottle that is sold in Sephora with %30 discount for Valentine's day. Because yes, it is marketed well and everyone buys the same things.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/11/2014 6:14:00 PM More reviews by McSwimmer

Sorry to those who like this fragrance (and there seems to be a lot of you) but I think this scent belongs in the same nasty category as "Angel". This should be a banned substance (and that's also what I thought about "Angel" when I tried it on). When I first put Black Orchid on, it smelled like strong cough medicine. After it was on a while, it started smelling like Vicks Vapo-Rub. It would definitely work the same as Vicks because it cleared out my nose and sinuses. My mom used to rub Vicks on my chest when I was young if I got sick. That's the exact scent I'm getting now--as I sniff my wrist. This is a huge NO for me. Ugly bottle too.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2014 5:04:00 PM More reviews by MakeupMomma

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I got a sample of this fragrance with my recent Tom Ford order from Nordstrom.com. When I first sprayed it on I was overwhelmed at how strong it is. This is not a sweet, delicate scent. At first I disliked the scent and wanted to wash it off immediately, but my daughter said it was pretty so I decided to give it a chance. I'm so glad I did! Within an hour I loved it and I'm planning to buy a full-sized bottle.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/7/2014 1:00:00 PM More reviews by Swimblock

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

The first time I sampled this I thought it was gorgeous so I sampled it again to make sure I wanted to purchase it but the 2nd time, after about 7 hours it developed a scent that I did not like at all. I've learned in the past that scents change on me so I always sample several times before purchasing. In this case, I will stick with the scents I love: Shalimar Ode de Vanilla, Samsara, Prada Infusion d Iris EDT, Hanae Mori Butterfly EDP, Chantecaille Kalimantan and Chanel No 5 Eau Premiere.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/5/2013 4:41:00 PM More reviews by perfumista1

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

If you like Thierry Mugler's Angel or Black Cashmere, you will probably like Black Orchid. There's plenty of dark chocolate, incense and patchouli in it. It's complex, and the notes keep coming out over the course of several hours. This isn't something I'd wear to work because the sillage lingers all day, through the night and into next morning. It took me a day to get used to it, because I usually buy mature lady fragrances and this one is unisex. I thought it was too masculine at first, but by drydown I appreciated it's artsy composition and bold statement.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/5/2013 4:30:00 PM More reviews by julia178

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Black Orchid is a standout fragrance in my collection, by far the boldest of them all. To me, Black Orchid is a true masterpiece which is definitely not for the faint at heart. This is not meek or timid or understated, but a somewhat in-your-face heady fragrance. That said, it is always elegant in my opinion. Others have described the notes very well, let me just add that it is the about the only rose fragrance I have found to date that won't turn sour on my skin. What makes Black Orchid so appealing to me is the mixture of fruit and patchouli. This creation is blended so well that it borders on magic. Since its inception in 2006 I have used it on and off but this winter I have really started to wear it on an almost daily basis. The bottle is also a true piece if art. It is an art deco inspired black glass flacon with ridges and a polished gold label, it feel expensive and stylish. It is also practical because the black glass protects its precious contents. An all around winner, $155 for 3.4 oz/100ml spray. Note: Years ago, there was a Black Orchid Finishing Dry Oil which was a fantastic body oil to layer with the fragrance or to use on its own. Unfortunately it has been discontinued, but I am still hoping for it to return someday - see separate review if interested.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/29/2013 2:40:00 AM More reviews by staciarose22

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I rarely give a 5 star review that ticks all the boxes, but this is impressive. This is a very womanly perfume. Bold, powerful, and full bodied sensuality right from the start. When I think of the woman who likes this perfume... She's ageless, a bit mysterious, very feminine, likes lingerie, and isn't afraid to express her wants and needs in life. I liked perfumes like this at 19, but for many girls/women this can intimidate them. They feel it sends a certain message or might scare men off. Well, the men who do notice it are more sophisticated and appreciate good taste (gay or straight, it doesn't matter). I've had both comment on it. Most women wear this for specific moods or occasions, but I can see it as a signature in the fall and winter. From the look of the bottle it's meant to be sleek yet classic. The Art Deco design was very appealing to me, since the details are both glamorous and simple.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/22/2013 9:35:00 PM More reviews by dragongirl26

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I received a sample of this fragrance from Sephora, and have been sitting here trying to decide my thoughts about it. It was a little off putting and overpowering at first, reminding me a lot of Velvet Tuberose from Bath and Body Works. it's different, though, in that after wearing it for about half an hour, Im getting more notes of sandlewood and vanilla, which I really like. I tend to gravitate towards mature fragrances, so I will try this one a few more times before I decide whether or not to purchase.