August 21, 2014 | 1418 users online

Fragrances - Tom Ford - Black Orchid EDP

rated 5 of 5 on 8/17/2014 12:46:00 PM More reviews by DiaryofaDyme

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Love it or hate it, you can't argue with the fact that this fragrance is extremely well executed. Though I've heard some say that women under 25 will have a hard time pulling it off, I will gladly step up to the challenge, as I would be happy to wear this museum-piece of a fragrance. It is a balmy and spicy fragrace that also manages to stay close to the skin( and blended surprisingly well with my skin's chemistry). Some notes I smell are patchouli, Gardenia and of course, orchid. And don't even get me started on the bottle- it's elegance would complement just about any vanity.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/11/2014 2:14:00 AM More reviews by 2labs

Nope. I sprayed some of this on myself and almost gagged. I got the distinct smell of wet dirt and faeces…..with bite. I wasn't willing to leave it on (and offend others in the process) long enough to see whether or not I enjoyed the dry down.

On the positive side, I quite like the bottle.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/8/2014 9:52:00 PM More reviews by HollyWould123

I've used several samples of this perfume on and off for a few months now. It's a (very) strong, musky scent. It's unique and sexy even, especially for a night out. It may now be appropriate for every day use to the office, etc. because it is quite prominent. It lasts all day and all night, staying strong throughout. Sometimes when I'm wearing it and catch a whiff of it I love it and other times it makes me sick. I find men in general love these strong musky scents on a woman, especially if there's any hint of vanilla within them. However, I haven't really come across many men who like this as it is too strong. I suppose this all comes down to personal preference and what the occasion is, like with any fragrance choice. As far as the strong scents go, I'd go with Burberry Touch or See by Chloe over this one. Not only are those a little more gentle on the senses but also on your wallet!

rated 3 of 5 on 5/22/2014 10:51:00 AM More reviews by snkatha

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Black

This perfume is weird! I used one spritz on my arm & didn't need to move it to my nose to smell it. There's an almost citrusy herbal smell that hits me between the eyes. This juice is strong & has monster sillage. The drydown gets smoother, deeper & the chocolate scent comes through. There's also a mossy, mushroomy scent, it smells like something dank & green in the best way! Then i get the patchouli. Sometimes i get a whif of the dark mushroomy smell, other times the green herby note, other times i get the deep chocolate scent. This perfume is a morpher! I can definitely see why this perfume is so well known & loved almost as much as it's hated. This perfume has a personality with a capital P! The reason i gave it 3 stars is that while it's beautiful, i'm afraid it isn't very me! I love that it isn't very feminine, i can definitely see a guy wearing the heck out of this! Great scent, but not for me.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/7/2014 7:20:00 AM More reviews by su

I tried it today, I liked it though it seems quite masculine and heavy for summertime. Maybe I'll try this next winter. By the moment, I still prefer Violet Blonde.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/6/2014 10:32:00 AM More reviews by Nancygia

My review is for migraine sufferers, like me, who may not be able to wear most fragrances due to the propensity to wind up incapacitated from it. I received a broken sample atomizer of this, so I was able to smell it without actually spraying it. It is VERY strong (it got it on my finger and it is still strong after I washed my hands) and masculine, and would thus likely trigger a migraine.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2014 9:10:00 AM More reviews by spaflam

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I got a free spray sample of this from Sephora and there is no way I will purchase a full bottle. It is very strong and complex and also long lasting (I can still smell it the next day - and you need to showere to get it off.

I loved the top note(s) initially - with a sweet floral with a gourmand quality but the woodsy/cinnabarish base notes do not work on me at all.

Too heavy, and way too sexy for work.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/2/2014 4:06:00 PM More reviews by fabulyss

A very strong and long-lasting fragrance. You'll still smell it the next morning (it's arguably better the 2nd day). I've been nursing a 1.5ml sample for years because this is too strong to wear everyday and I ended up sort of forgetting about it. Fast-foward to a couple of months ago when I attended a fundraiser for a local theater (that had a celeb in attendance) at a super trendy nightclub when I suddenly smelled Black Orchid in the air. At first I assumed a passerby was wearing it (this fragrance is immediately identifiable) but then I realized the scent wasn't dissipating...the club must have sprayed it all around before the party had started. One could argue that dousing a club in expensive perfume is a cheesy way to convey class and sophistication but for some reason it totally worked. Smelling this perfume as an "outsider" made me realize how evocative and powerful the scent actually is when it's in the right setting. In my opinion this is meant to be worn for a sexy evening out with dim lighting and great music blaring. It also begs to be worn with vintage or leather - it's not a jeans and a t-shirt fragrance. I will continue to purchase only sample vials of this because I could never plow through the 3.4oz bottle (plus A LOT of people wear it now so it's not terribly unique). And a side note: for all of you that like this one, give FM's Portrait of a Lady a try too.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/13/2014 10:38:00 AM More reviews by nekroze

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is my very first scent review here not because this is the best one I have ever smelled but because it is so overrated. I wanted to get this for my boyfriend and maybe for myself. The worst thing about this scent ( or any other) that it feels really synthetic. The notes tangle and not in a good complex sophisticated way. Powder,chocolate and flowers do not combine to create a unique scent, I just feel each one creating a cloud of different cheap diffusive scent . It didn't linger either which is not a good thing at this price. I would have maybe loved it a little better if it wasn't so praised but the truth is the scent is nowhere near being a niche perfume.
Each to their own but you don't become a femme fatale by wearing a scent. Tom Ford likes to use sexuality for his marketing and looking at the comments he is very successful since we all know that sex sells. There are thousands of unique smells on the world and I can assure you if the "sex" had a smell it would be something more unattainable than a bottle that is sold in Sephora with %30 discount for Valentine's day. Because yes, it is marketed well and everyone buys the same things.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/11/2014 6:14:00 PM More reviews by McSwimmer

Sorry to those who like this fragrance (and there seems to be a lot of you) but I think this scent belongs in the same nasty category as "Angel". This should be a banned substance (and that's also what I thought about "Angel" when I tried it on). When I first put Black Orchid on, it smelled like strong cough medicine. After it was on a while, it started smelling like Vicks Vapo-Rub. It would definitely work the same as Vicks because it cleared out my nose and sinuses. My mom used to rub Vicks on my chest when I was young if I got sick. That's the exact scent I'm getting now--as I sniff my wrist. This is a huge NO for me. Ugly bottle too.