September 2, 2014 | 1751 users online

Eye Primer - Coastal Scents - Shadow Worx Matte Eyeshadow Primer

rated 1 of 5 on 1/10/2013 4:15:00 AM More reviews by Labloah

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've not been very impressed with this at all. It just doesn't cut it for me. For starters, shadows aren't nearly as vibrant as they are over a quality primer, that was my first let down, though they are just slightly more vibrant than if worn alone. Secondly, every time I've worn this, I've experienced creasing, fading and on occasion, large sections of shadow wearing away in big blotches, whic I've never had with any primer before, even cheaper one. I have a pretty energetic, high activity job in a reasonably humid climate and I need to wear long wearing make up to last through the day (not just eye primer, I need long wearing foundation, eyeliner, lipstick etc. if I want to have any hope of it sticking around for the better portion of my workday). Sadly, this just doesn't do that at all. I've used this with high quality shadows too and it's acted almost like a glue and congealed or taken away big creases and clumps of shadow, and these are the kind of shadows that perform beautifully even on their own, but have just been ruined by this primer.

As for the product itself, it comes in a squeeze tube, with a flat top lid that you can stand the tube up on, or just lay on it's side. It has an almost grainy feel to it initially, but it does spread out smoothly on the lid, and has a decent ability to blend out to cover a reasonable sized area. It's a very light flesh colour coming out of the tube, but practically colourless when on the lid. The amount you get is quite generous, 20ml/0.676fl oz, almost twice the amount you would get with the TFSI or UDPP. It's dead cheap, so I guess if it doesn't work for you, it's not a huge loss.

It ended up that I only used this if I knew I was only going to be wearing makeup for a few hours, or if I just planned on a quick trip out and it wasn't important that my shadow last for hours. But even then, it was so unpredictable and I never knew when it was going to pull its patchy clumping act, so I ditched it all together.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/6/2012 1:29:00 AM More reviews by DressageDiva

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I have not tried UD or Nars or Lorac, which are good, well, excellent per the reviews.

I love loose es powder so I need a primer. This one is good, bad and indifferent, depending on the day.
It seems to work best with loose pigments that aren't too glittery, but seems to be useless with darker colors. I work in a busy environment. Most days I will get warm enough to sweat, though my eyelids aren't excessively oily, I notice fading.

It comes in a squeeze tube and I recommend mixing it up by massaging the tube or sometimes clear liquid comes out.

I have been using it for 6 months at this writing and a lot is left. You don't need much and on me (nw20) it can look a little orange. It can look cake-y too, and will crease on its own if you apply too much.

I have MAC prep and prime which does a better job of making your shadow base more uniform in color. Shadow Work is transparent, and since my lids have some discoloration here and there it is a bummer.

I like the prep and prime better, and to me they last about the same.

I also use MAC es base in Bat Black for darks and Maybelline 24 hour Tattoo as a white base.

SW is ok, for the $8 price you get a lot, and I wasn't expecting a strong adhesion like pixy epoxy, but to stop fading and marking on my upper lid, etc which it does do, except on "heated" days.
It's hard to completely fault, I comped the ingredient list for SW and UDPP and it's obviously a dupe, so it could be the general formulation versus the Coastal Scents product.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/24/2011 12:28:00 AM More reviews by ohsoglam

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have really oily lids and I was looking for a primer that would give me long lasting shadow at a good price. Enter Coastal Scents Shadow Worx. It has a little bit of an oilier (sp?) texture than I'd like but, despite this, it is still very effective. I've learned that less is more with this primer. It is similar to TFSI in terms of texture but it lasts much longer than TFSI, in my experience and you get more for your money. I caught this product on sell for 25% off so it was around $11 and some change. It really grabs the shadows and keeps them in place. Great product. I would repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/8/2011 8:21:00 PM More reviews by bdgreen74

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I have the original shadow wox, the one with shimmer, and I like it well enough. I love that it's shimmery, but it seems to depend on what brand or type of shadow I use on how well it works. ELF pressed shadows, it creases in less than 5 hours, MAC pressed shadows, it held up a bit longer maybe 8 hours, NYX pearl pigments and pressed shadow, it lasted pretty much til I took it off. It works great with coast scents loose pigments and micas and Ulta pressed shadow, it seemed to depend on what color I was using. The darker the color and the more metallic the color, the worse it creased. I don't know if I would actually buy this again. Probably not just because I don't want to have to think about what shadow I'm going to use and whether or not I can use this primer with it. I really do like it, but it's just so hit or miss.
Update: I got rid of this. Just didn't work for me at all in the end.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/31/2011 7:43:00 PM More reviews by yuyu122

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

It works, but I can notice some creasing after 10 hours. It doesn't last MY whole day...

This is the second primer I have ever used. I tried Mary Kay Eye Primer, and for me it worked better than shadow worx. The MK one made my eyeshadow last more than a day. I realized that when I was in a party the whole night and the day after I still had the ES perfect with some minor creasing that I just smudged out.

Maybe that was because the wheater was colder then, and now it's being hotter... but... still I won't buy again, because MK works better for me...

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/12/2010 10:36:00 PM More reviews by BCbabe

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Amazing! I've tried several eyeshadow bases, from MAC to Too Faced to L'Oreal HiP to Lise Watier and Lancome but nothing really had me settled that it was "The One". On a whim, I ordered the Coastal Scents Shadow Worx Matte primer and have used it for the past week. I must say this is the closest to being "The One" than anything I've tried. After about 12 hours of wear, everything else keeps me shadow looking fairly good, but I'd still get the collection of shadow in the tiny lines in my crease, and if I had to go out that night I'd have to smooth it out with my finger and/or reapply shadow. This stuff from Coastal Scents comes in a squeeze tube with a tiny tip. Excellent! You use a teeny tiny amount for both eyes and even though it has a peachy look when you squeeze it out, it goes on invisibly and dries as you pat it in. Apply your e/s and it not only helps intensify the shadow but holds it well into the night... like most primers BUT this one just seems to do an even *better* job of it. The reason it's called "Matte" is because it won't add shimmer to your matte shadows. There is a Shimmer version available which I will most definitely be trying next. That one does have a pearly champagne finish that can also be used as a highlighter. The reviews on the site say to "be prepared to be amazed" and I most certainly am!