October 31, 2014 | 777 users online

Eye Shadow - New York Color - Individual Eyes 938U Union Square

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 on 11/9/2013 2:38:00 PM More reviews by Primpology

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I'm really impressed with this quad. I picked it up yesterday at my supermarket and this morning I got to play with it. I love the textures of the shadows. There are two mattes, one super soft shimmer and the plum is a matte with a tad bit of sparkle. I'm ecstatic to see more and more mattes making there way to the drugstore aisles. I used the "primer" as more of a base and skipped on the illuminator as I'm just kicking around the house today. I'll test that part later on down the road. I'm definitely going to be picking up the set for green eyes next week... I have brown/green hazel eyes and this quad is a great neutral for fall. I give it 2 thumbs up!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/22/2012 9:06:00 PM More reviews by next1

I actually really enjoy this quad, i think the colors are great all really pigmented except for the highlight color which is the matte cream color at the beginning of the palette. Its not pigmented at all and pretty chalky. But i remedy this but using the shimmery/glittery cream illuminator that everyone seems to hate which i did too at first but i found a way to make them both useable by layering the powder highliter over the cream one. It takes away the annoying glitter chunks in the cream and really helps the powder cling the cream and show up really well. I also really like the nude colored ”primer.” However i dont think this is a primer at all, i think its more of a base, meaning that this does creasd on without an actual primer underneath like
Tfsi. I also really like this layered underneath my concealer and sometimes also use this as a lip primer. Thats my eyeball up above anx I know its not the best pic but I just wanted to show how pigmented the shadows are, I only used the shimmery bronze color and the matte highlight color. So u can see the colors can be sheered out pretty well or built up to be prettg dark like near the lashes and outer corner. Anyway, hope this helps!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/27/2012 10:06:00 PM More reviews by sweetiesweetie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

My first eyeshadow palette LOL. It comes with a primer, which pretty much taught me to use primer from the veeeeeery beginning c:

Even now, I think the primer is very good. Too bad they don't sell it separately. Or change the illuminator with the primer c; haha

I think the lightest/highlight is a bit chalky. My favorite is definitely the crease color though! Very soft. It would have been nice to have a mirror, but it's cheap so it's okay c:

Will not repurchase because I know there are a lot more neutral palettes out there that are better (wnw comfort zone anyone) besides, this has a good amount of product so I do think it'll last a while.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2012 6:31:00 AM More reviews by cheeky

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

After reading these reviews, I realize that the illuminator that is included in this quad is not very popular. However, it's the reason I bought this. I had tried out a friend's before purchasing, and found it looked really pretty on my cupids bow, and inner tear duct area. I would never use it in any other areas though, too shimmery/glittery. I also like the primer that this comes with, very creamy and would probably look nice on my under eyes. I don't normally wear eyeshadows, but these are nice colors, I will probably get the most use out of the lightest one. I wish I could depot this quad, I'd keep the illuminator separate as I know I will be using it the most, but it seems like a messy process.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/9/2012 12:08:00 AM More reviews by LauraAronson

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Use it love it, on my third purchase. I go through the two lighter colors fastest and have leftover dark when I'm done, but it's still a great value. The primer works well, the white highlighter is good for dark area above the tear ducts.I buy the kit for green eyes although my eyes are brownish-hazel, because the colors for green eyes are softer.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/28/2011 12:39:00 PM More reviews by mlq490

This palette is okay. It's one of the better items in my mini New York Color haul.The colors are pretty but not super pigmented. They work well together and can be used for a dramatic or subtle, daytime look.
I really like the colors included in this, although they're pretty standard for a neutral drugstore colors. There's a matte highlight shade, a matte light brown, a shimmery deeper brown, and a plum color (which can be blended into the browns to intensify them without making it look like you have purple on) that's also shimmery, a cream "illuminator", and a great creamy primer.
The only thing I hate about this palette is the iluminator. It's filled with chunky glitter that ends up all over my face and on your eyes it almost feels a little greasy. I guess the logic behind having the iluminator is to allow you to have a matte or shimmery look if you have the iluminator under the shadows and over the primer, but the iluminator is so bad you don't really get that option.
It's nice to finally have small, drugstore palette that includes a primer. I've tried not using the primer, and I found the primer really allows the eyeshadows to have good staying power and makes them more vibrant.
The eyeshadows don't have the best texture. They feel a little chalky and hard to me, but they're still useable.
Overall, I can tell this is a cheap (although for $5, you could buy more eyeshadow in other brands like wet n wild or elf) product that is just okay, nothing special about it.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/30/2011 4:53:00 PM More reviews by sloanepeterson

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is a pretty good little palette for the price! This one, #938 Union Square, is created for brown eyes. I got it even though I have green eyes because I was looking for good, cheap neutrals.

It has four shadows, an cream e/s primer, and a cream illuminator. This palette comes with a little clear card over it that recommends where you should apply the colors

The lightest shade is a highlighter that I frequently use for allover the lid. It is a matte, flesh-tones color. This one can be a little bit chalky if you put it over the primer. But if I blend the primer well over my lid, this doesn't happen.

The second color is a light, matte brown. This makes a great lid color or crease color if you are using the "highlighter" shade allover the lid.

The third color is a slightly shimmery, darker brown. Again, a beautiful crease color if you are using either the highlighter shade or the light brown on the lid.

The fourth color is a dark, aubergine purple. This color is great in the crease if you have used the brown colors to blend up on the lid. It is better to use as a hard-crease color and for the outer corner. It also makes a pretty eyeliner if you want to use it with an eyeliner brush or wet.

The three darker colors blend the best, while the lightest color must be worked with a little not to look chalky.

I recommend this palette for anyone looking for neutrals on a budget. I got this at 40% off at Riteaid, which frequently has this deal on NYC. So I only paid about $3 for this $4.99 palette. This is a good product, as far as ds products go. It is better quality than some of the Revlon eyeshadows I've tried.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/8/2011 3:50:00 PM More reviews by newyorkcolourgirl

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

In short:
I like this product. The packaging is sturdy, the colors are nice (but why do brown eyes get the dullest colors! don't be afraid to try this product in Central Park for green eyes and Bryant Park for blue eyes). The sponge applicator isn't great, you can buy your own brush. Useful info: there are 2 matte colors and two with a bit of shimmer, and the primer and illuminator are creamy. The primer allows the eyeshadow to have good staying power. Honestly, I don't like to use the illuminator much, mostly I use it for the inner corners of my eyes.This is a great $5 eyeshadow palette, but it is kind of bulky so annoying to carry around in a purse.
This eyeshadow gives you a nice, neutral look.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/30/2011 1:14:00 AM More reviews by Christinaann5

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

i love these NYC Custom Eye Palettes. they are so pretty in the pan & on my eyes. i love Union Square since it has nice neutral shades plus that deep cranberry that is unique & can def add a bit of drama to a day look. what i love about these palettes is also that they come with a sort of creamy "Illuminator" which is pretty decent as well as a really good eye primer. the primer is more of a thicker creamy primer not like say UDPP those are more of a liquid based cream.. its hard to explain. so on to the breakdown....
Price:** these palettes will cost you $4.99 at your drugstores or Walmarts/Targets. this is an older version bc they have come out with i think a few new palettes. but for under $5, you get 4 awesome shadows as well as a primer & illuminator.
Shades-**
they are labeled on the plastic covering so ill go from that from top to bottom
Crease/Contour- a gorgeous dark cranberry burgundy shade that is great for your contour/outer v area, it looks beautiful on brown eyes or anyone really
Crease/Contour- a satin dark bronze shadow that is really good for contouring as well or even all over this shade is really pretty, its a dark true bronze shade
All over Lid- my favorite color bc its the best blending color a matte mid tone cool brown, like chocolate milk its been a lifesaver for me since its almost like mac wedge
Highlighter- a matte skintone shade its def great for a brow highlight color, can be used for everyone & its nice bc it can tone down your look bc sometimes we all need a matte highlight
Pigmentation/Texture/Staying Power-** so these are freaking awesome in pigmentation. i find them all to be soft & easy to apply to my eyes. they are soft not chalky. you get 3 matte shadows which sometimes drugstore companies can make matte shadows horrible causes but no not these, they did a great job making soft pigmented matte shades as well as the 1 shimmer/satin bronze which is pigmented!!! so with different finishes, you have many combinations to come up with. they staying power is awesome too! i find with my primer & a cream base, these will last at least a good 8 hours or more. ive played around with them on their own, and they last around 5-6 hrs which is pretty amazing so use the primer or your own and theyll stay put! gosh i love these!!

Now onto the extra goodies:
Illuminator- its a more thicker cream like consistency that i find is great for putting right in the inner tear duct area. it opens up your eyes & gives you the sexy eye look. ive even used it as a base & it works but its a bit dry so sometimes its hard for shadows to stick to it so they suggest placing it on your brow bone even & its def pretty for that too! even right along the very outside of your brows, gorgeous! just apply a thin layer so it dont look obvious or cakey. This can be a tad too dry in formula. It varies slightly. If you get a good one, it works great. Otherwise, you may have to mix it up a little bit bc it seems the top layer gets drier.
Primer- i like this primer & it def works doing all the jobs a primer should do.. that being preventing creasing of your eyeshadows, increasing the vibrancy of shadows & increasing the staying power of your shadows so they stay put without fading or disappearing, also it helps with evening out eyelid areas of hyper-pigmentation or veining. its a skin tone color & it can be a tad thick but if you apply a very thin layer it will work. ive ran test on it w/ the shadows in the palette w/ it & w/out it & it def works as well with my other shadows in my collection. Reminds me of the NYX Eyeshadow base in Skintone.
Packaging-** i love these palettes. they are great for makeup lovers/collectors & esp for beginners or newbies like me. its a clear lided compact with a black back to it. the front is labeled with the product name as well as the shade. then on the black back.. they have included a diagram of an eye & how to apply these shadows. the sticker lifts up as well for even more detailed info and how tos. because inside with the shadows you get a great removable plastic cover that is labeled over the shadows of where to place them.
so this is the most unique and helpful palette ive bought & its unbelievable that they are so affordable! its awesome! i love this palette & ive come up with so many diff looks with these four shades & i use this alot!!! its def a great neutral everyday palette!! i have bought a few more of these bc i think they are so pigmented & smooth & worth so much more! id def suggest these for anyone that loves affordable makeup like myself. these palettes are so gorgeous & are super convenient & practical! you got everything you need to do a whole bunch of diff looks, great for travel or on the go makeup users!

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/29/2011 7:45:00 PM More reviews by Yumixx2

Because I bought this when I started wearing makeup, I didn't know what exactly to expect. It seemed good at first since it had custom shades for brown eyes. However, the all over lid color wasn't that noticeable and the purple was dark. The included liquid eye shadows were just a disappointment.

Edit-December 11, 2011
Just found out the two under spaces were primer and illuminator! Didn't know that before, so I'm giving in a star, er, lipstick.