January 31, 2015 | 1897 users online

Lip Treatments - eos - Lip Balm sphere -medicated tangerine

rated 1 of 5 on 1/2/2015 1:29:00 AM More reviews by coloryouclingto

Hate is too nice a word for this product. It's awful. Does nothing for my lips, and I've given it four days already. If anything, it's DRYING. The packaging is ridiculous, and application is a joke. You might as well be rubbing your lips on a pool ball.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/30/2014 2:39:00 PM More reviews by ironicsymphonic

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought this out of desperation looking for something to help my severely dry, cracked, peeling winter lips. Nothing else was doing it, and my lip situation was seriously painful. Everything just seemed to sit on top of my lips. I decided to try this because you always see people with the egg-shaped containers, and I figured maybe its popularity meant there was something to it.

I bought the medicated tangerine flavor at Target and it didn't feel like it was doing much for the first day or two - just sitting on top, same as everything else. Then, on the third day, I noticed some of the flaky skin on my lips peeling away while I was in the shower. I used my fingertips to lightly exfoliate my lips, and all the dead skin came away cleanly and painlessly. My lips have been mostly smooth ever since except for some light flaking. They aren't cracking or splitting anymore. (It's been about a week.)

I'm not a fan of the round packaging. I like tiny wristlets and clutches so this is a little awkward to carry, but for something that works, I consider that a negligible detail. I'm fine with the slightly medical, fruity smell, and I like the flavor, which lingers even after most of the balm is gone. My mouth doesn't hurt anymore, so I'm happy! Recommended.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/9/2014 2:33:00 AM More reviews by toohautetohandle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Most EOS balm spheres have the same ingredients/claim, with the exception of the lemon drop (also contains SPF 15) and this tangerine one (labeled "medicated"). A bowl of these balms were at the register when I was checking out, and I saw that there was a color I hadn't seen before (orange), saw that it was tangerine scented (I love citrus-scented lip balms), and saw that it was medicated (sounded like it would be more moisturizing than the others) - so I added it to my purchase.

I opened it and applied it and immediately detected a medicinal scent under the tangerine. It took me a minute to identify it, but I realized it smelled like Carmex. I looked closer at the label and saw that the additional active ingredient is phenol (0.5%). This is the same ingredient Carmex uses. I know there's a lot of controversy around Carmex; some people swear by it, others say it seemed to work at first and left their lips drier in the longer run. A simple google search of "phenol lips" yields article titles like "Chapped lips...could your lip balms be making them worse?" and "Know which ingredients in lip balm actually cause dry lips".

Despite that, I can't say I'm surprised this is labeled "medicated" because that doesn't usually mean "gentle" or "moisturizing". I was kicking myself to assume that's what the label meant, but since when did EOS decide to be more medicinal? I've always thought of them as the anti medical balm with their cute packaging, fruity scents, and focus on simple hydration.

Anyway, phenol is an antibacterial agent that essentially strips a layer of skin where it is applied. Maybe this is intended for short-term use to kill bacteria on the lips before switching back to something more moisturizing. After all, this is kind of a form of exfoliation, and exfoliation is essential for smooth skin/lips. You just can't over exfoliate or it will dry your skin out.

This is good in theory, but I think it really comes down to personal preference/experience. If you love Carmex, you'll love this. Same active ingredient, same texture, less of the medicinal scent. If you found Carmex to irritate or dry your lips out in the long run, you'll probably find the same is true of this.

I personally have never used Carmex much because I hated the scent (okay, and the ugly packaging). I like the other EOS balms but haven't found them to be very moisturizing long-term (they feel moisturizing when on but the moisture doesn't seem to last when the balm wears off). This tangerine one, however, seems to provide lasting moisturize. It also seems to apply a little thicker than the others, which I like. I'm not sure whether the longer-lasting moisture is a temporary effect of the phenol and it will end up drying my lips out, or whether it's real moisture due to the other ingredients (multiple oils) in the balm, but time will tell. For now I'll keep using it because I don't have to apply as often as with other balms.

I've only had it a few days but I wanted to give my initial thoughts. I'll update if anything drastic happens with it one way or the other.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/23/2014 6:11:00 PM More reviews by RM83

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I liked this product. I didnt have any adverse reactions at all. The smell is definitely stronger than other flavors but it didnt bother me, I kind of liked that it was stronger. I didnt like that it did get super dirty looking after rolling around in my purse, as someone else mentioned. I typically applied right after showering and it helped keep my lips moisturized.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/22/2014 5:34:00 PM More reviews by Potatomonk

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This flavour, as well as the other ones in the EOS Smooth Sphere line really don't do a very good job. All of them wear off quickly and don't moisturize enough, leaving my lips a tad drier than when I began. This one is especially unpleasant in the sense that it contains phenol. Phenol is the stuff that makes this "medicated" and gives it that menthol-esque scent and flavour. Phenol is also not the best for your health as it happens to be an ingredient in paint stripper. It does make this antibacterial, but since these things are supposed to be "natural" and "organic" the fact that in high doses that might kill be isn't really a selling point. Of course, many many things we do everyday can kill us if it is in a high enough dose, but I don't think they even should have gone for a medicated lip balm in their line. Doesn't Blistex and Chapstick do the same thing? I did give this two lips for the fact that it smells delightfully fruity (probably fake) and I quite enjoy the shade of orange they made the sphere plastic. I would not recommend this, nor would I buy it. I borrowed this from a friend once who said she didn't want it! Hope this helped, and take care :-)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/11/2014 9:59:00 AM More reviews by ckb

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is my least favorite of the eos balms. It smells/tastes too medicinal and it doesn't slip as much as some of the others do. I feel like I'm putting on a hard chapstick --- minus the long-lasting moisture.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/11/2014 9:35:00 AM More reviews by ihearteos

This Eos lip balm has medications in it, which really helps heal dry, cracked, or chapped lips in the winter. Some people find the smell of the medicine mixed with the fruity and yummy tangerine scent a bit overwhelming at first, but once you start to use it, it becomes more natural and not as opaque. In my opinion this is the most moisturizing lip balm from the entire Eos line, which is why I love it so much. However, it is only available in the United States, which was a slight disappointment.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/26/2014 9:45:00 PM More reviews by FreakingTurtle

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It has the worst smell. Out of all the EOS balms. It feels nice on my lips everything is really good and what I expect from them, but the smell is horrible. I can smell the tangerine, but I also smell plastic, which I font enjoy. I keep the product cause I have a collection of the balms. So I don't want to throw it out, I'll end up using it, my nose might get uses to the smell.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/11/2014 12:15:00 AM More reviews by MakeupManiac5699

Ugh, I wanted this to work so badly. The smell, packaging, and texture on my lips is great. BUT, this caused me to have a GIGANTIC allergic reaction. My lips were swollen and the underside broke out in a painful rash that covered half my chin. I feel like all medicated lipbalms do this to me because Babylips Dr. Rescue did as well, although not to this degree ugh, why, lips? Why? :(

rated 5 of 5 on 5/31/2014 12:13:00 AM More reviews by Shopah0lic21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Black

Moisturizing, smells good, and tastes good! I have to keep myself from licking this stuff- oddly enough I like the taste and smell. It's medicated, so some people aren't going to like the smell. Overall I love this balm and am glad I purchased:)