April 16, 2014 | 965 users online

Tinted Moisturizer - E.L.F. - Studio Tinted Moisturizer SPF 20

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 on 3/27/2014 11:28:00 PM More reviews by diosmar82

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Grey

This is your basic run of the mill TM. I usually end up reaching for this because its quick and always have it on hand. I just use it to give my skin that balances skin tone since I have some hyper pigmentation. This is a definite re-purchase for me because its so cheap and always handy. Hasn't broken me out in the 3 yrs I've been using it.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/16/2014 1:21:00 PM More reviews by anglmill

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

There are some pros and cons to this product, but for the cost I was not disappointed. I used it as a lightweight foundation all over my face, but I also had to use a concealer for breakout areas and a powder to set (neither are ELF brand). I have acne-prone skin, so I was a little worried it would break out my face like some of the other reviews have mentioned, but I did not have an issue with that. The first time I used it (I got it in the "Nude" shade), I thought it wasn't dark enough when first applied, but it actually continues to oxidize or whatever for a few minutes after it's on your face, and darkens up to the right shade. This makes it easy to use too much and then later realize you've over-applied it, so you have to be careful with that. I really liked the lightweight feel, it is not cakey at all and doesn't look like you are wearing foundation. But if you are looking for something with heavier coverage that is long-lasting, then you will either need to use it in combination with other products like I did, or just go with a different foundation. One other thing that I don't like (but it's not THAT big of a deal) is that on the tip it can get this dried up rubbery piece of leftover product that you have to wipe off before the next use, which is kind of annoying.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/12/2014 1:11:00 PM More reviews by macabremakeup

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I bought this tinted moisturizer online in the lightest shade. I have experience with the flawless finish foundation so I suspected that like the "Porcelain" foundation, this would also be too dark for my fair skin And it was. I had to add in white foundation to make it match. The product blended in ok (I've used other products that blend much better, for the price, I can't complain too much). I have normal to combination skin and within an hour or so of wearing this moisturizer, my skin began to feel and look very oily. I was shiny and I had to powder over the tinted moisturizer several times throughout the day to control it. I reach for another tinted moisturizer over this one as a result. The price is good and I like the packaging. It is hygienic and easy to use. I even like the consistency of the product, which is a little thicker than other tinted moisturizers (which can have a watery consistency while e.l.f's is creamy). If you have dry skin or can find a correct color match it could be a good tinted moisturizer for you, it just didn't work for me.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/1/2014 10:26:00 AM More reviews by lovelymallie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Wow, this is the weirdest thing.
My sister actually bought this in the shade porcelain (their lightest shade), but since the colour didn't match her, she gave it to me.

When I put this on my face, I was shocked by the colour. It's actually pretty ridiculius that this is their lightest shade. I'm NC15-20 in MAC, and it looked horrible on me. Waaaay to orange and dark! Maybe an NW30 or something?

But not only the shade was off, the texture was off as well. It didn't blend into my skin at all. I waited and waited, but it kept looking unatural, and if I touched my skin the product moved around. And I don't have oily skin? My skin usually sucks up all of the foundation or whatever I'm using, because it's pretty dry. With this it was the weirdest thing I've tried. Like it just sat there on top of my skin like.. I don't even know.

Horrible product.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/18/2014 1:57:00 AM More reviews by Lr1336

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I feel like this tinted moisturizer is a hit or miss depending on your skin and which color you get. For me it didn't give almost any coverage but I still used it for a couple weeks because the ingredients were good for my skin. It didn't break me out but it didn't really improve anything either. I think you really have to try this yourself in order to judge it (it's only $3 so you won't be regretting much if you don't like it).

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/6/2014 6:19:00 AM More reviews by antolin1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

It's interesting to me that there are so many bad reviews on this product. This stuff really is not bad at all, it's just not amazing.

Pros:
The price point is obviously great ($3). I love that it contains Aloe, Cucumber and Vitamins A, C & E, and that its SPF 20. It glides on smoothly via finger application probably due to the silicone (so its smooth like a primer). This gives me a lot more color than my Missha BB cream does (which is more grey-ish) but definitely not as much coverage. But being as how I purchased this just to wear when I have to run to the store real quick or don't wanna scare my neighbors with my naked face when I am in the laundry room or grabbing the mail on days I don't need foundation, I am good with the super light and breathable coverage. I also dig the fact this stuff is so light in coverage that I can actually go a bit darker in shades than I would be able to do with foundation (unlike a lot of other reviewers I didn't turn orange at all). I am NC25-30 and Nude worked well for me, but so does Sand provided I manipulate it with a lighter powder.

The Cons:
I am not thrilled Mineral Oil is the second ingredient. Not at all. While I do not break out and I know that Mineral oil has a worse rap than it should bc its actually kinda beneficial for dry skin, I do have large pores and I am not down with messing with them by way of clogging em up and making them even bigger in the long run. It also contains parabens which is totally lame and unnecessary. The shade availability for this stuff blows - its either more orange toned or red brown and that is lame. I expected a dewy finish but this didn't happen, sigh. The color is also not build-able at all and if you try it just ends up kind of a mess. The biggest problem is that it just isn't as moisturizing as it should be or claims to be which leaves me scratching my head because it IS a moisturizer, right?

I think for its price it is definitely worth a try and if you hate it you're not out much at all. I personally will continue to re-purchase just for those days I don't have to dress to impress but still wanna smooth my skin and get some sun protection.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/29/2014 1:19:00 AM More reviews by snoozykat

They say you get what you pay for and this is the truth with this TM. I wasn't expecting much but it was just awful. I don't even want to go on in this review. But I paid two bucks so I can't complain.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/28/2014 11:30:00 PM More reviews by hmhanke89

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Oh this is what I get for making an uninformed impulse purchase from the fancy new ELF display at my Walmart! I bought the lightest shade. I've got cool toned fair skin but self tan my body and neck, so I like my face makeup to have yellow or at least neutral undertones to blend so I'm not walking around with pink face, yellow/brown body. The lightest shade turned me straight up orange! Not cute. Plus the bottle kept leaking out every time I opened the cap. But at least it was only $3, so I can't be too mad I guess.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/15/2014 4:22:00 PM More reviews by GlossyGal05

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

One word - terrible.

At first when I bought it, I liked it. I found that it was light and easy to apply. As time went on, the color seemed to change and the product started to set into the lines in my face. Then the product itself began to become clumpy and just disgusting.

I instantly threw it away - no product should do that! It just shows that the ingredients inside are not good for your skin.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/12/2014 7:14:00 PM More reviews by Staaarlit

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

Performance -- Some people seem to like this product because of its supposedly lightweight, tinted property. A tinted moisturizer is meant to deliver light coverage. It ought to be similar to a BB cream, without all the skincare benefits. However, this product did not provide a light coverage, and instead, it seemed to dissipate as I smoothed it over my skin. I'd have to use a lot of product to retrieve that light-coverage look. Sort of contradicts what I'm going for when I want to use a tinted moisturizer, right? Useless...

As for the color, I had high hopes for it. Skin tone is light; undertone is yellow. I did not want to believe the reviews that said this product would oxidize to an orange hue, since many more reviews praise it for its yellow undertones. I thought it would fit me well, given that most drugstore face makeup/foundations target pink undertones. Unfortunately, this product does oxidize to an orange color. Not attractive, unless maybe if you're into that orange look for the summer.

To sum it up? Terrible performance.

Price & other -- Super cheap for a tinted moisturizer, but it's a product that fits the saying "you get what you pay for." Yes, this has spf 20, but the sunscreen is not entirely reliable. If you're truly concerned with sun damage, don't look to this product for that 'protection'. The packaging is another positive thing, but there is no point of great packaging and price if the product itself fails miserably to deliver.

So yeah, cheap price, but I would not repurchase and would definitely not recommend.