April 19, 2014 | 1803 users online

Shampoo - Alterna - Bamboo smooth anti frizz

rated 4 of 5 on 1/26/2014 11:13:00 PM More reviews by HollyWould123

I received a sample of this and decided to pair it with my Agave Smoothing Conditioner. I combed my hair, added some John Frieda Frizz Ease & a small amount of TRESemme hairspray, and let it air dry. Usually when I let my hair air dry, it takes me a little extra maneuvering when getting ready, but I do this every so often so as to give my very long, wavy, moderately frizzy hair a break from heat damage! When I used this shampoo with the above mentioned, I did notice less frizz. The formula itself is a bit thick for a shampoo, but I kind of like this because it somehow made it seem rich & luxurious. The smell is nice, not overpowering. I'm not saying it's a miracle, but I'm definitely willing to purchase a full sized bottle and stick with this regimen on days when I allow my hair to air dry or in humid climates!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/6/2013 2:12:00 PM More reviews by JenniAdventure

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm so glad I found Alterna. I started with the Bamboo Shine S/C but still had some frizz issues. I use the Anti-Frizz shampoo and the Bamboo Shine conditioner and let my hair air dry. (Also, for reference, I use Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Hydrocream Whip to "scrunch" my waves. Love.)

I'm pretty sure I've found the winning combo for my hair. I tend to play with my hair during the day (which is a huge no-no for curlies!) But with this combo, I actually like the smooth waves I have on day 2 and 3.

Smell of the shampoo is great. I'm also very glad to support sustainable products that are mindful of their impact on earth.

The only reason I didn't give it a 5 is because this shampoo is a little thick (so is the Alterna color shampoo) and a little tough to squeeze out of the bottle...but maybe I'm just weak in the morning! :)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/4/2013 2:06:00 PM More reviews by Regitzelokke

This is an amaaaaazing shampoo! I have really long hair so I really need some good hair care to take care of my hair! The smell of this is wonderful and my hair is very soft and smooth after use!
It is really expensive, but I do think that it is so good that I would repurchase - give it a try!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/19/2013 12:41:00 PM More reviews by izzybella

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was expecting miracles out of this shampoo (and matching conditioner) based on the positive reviews here, but this is just a run-of-the-mill shampoo for me. I do love the scent but I didn't find it particularly good at combating frizz - in fact, my hair feels drier and the ends were tangled after shampooing. I think I'll stick to the kendi oil, which is fantastic for softening dry hair and has the same great scent.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/3/2013 11:03:00 AM More reviews by annalynn77

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Tried many shampoos before finding this gem.. It's gentle to your hair, cleanses well and the anti frizz benefits are noticeable.. I happen to also use the same conditioner an love it. Don't care to much for the twist up tops as product gets trapped between the bottle and the cap that's my only complaint..

rated 3 of 5 on 2/13/2013 9:36:00 AM More reviews by nyp

It's definitely better than the cheap shampoos, it doesn't upset the ph balance of your hair (so I think). I still think it's too expensive though. The packaging is so bad. I had to keep it upright all the time, it leaked on furniture in a B&B and stained it. I don't know how to explain it but when you undo the lid, at the top of the bottle there are two little plastic things that stick up and it looks like the top of each are melted down. I don't know how but they seemed to have "burst" before I even took it home. Shampoo leaks from there. I had to buy another bottle by the time I realised and same thing happened. Poor packaging.

My hair was less frizzy but still frizzy enough to be embarrassed by going out without styling it properly.

For me it's not worth the price tag.
I use Moroccanoil shampoo and conditioners now and so much better (honestly).

rated 4 of 5 on 9/25/2012 9:20:00 AM More reviews by myrtoula12

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I love both the shampoo and the conditioner. Hair are really almost frizzy free after using these products even with no heat styling at all. Huge difference when using these compared to othe products. I dont think it;s so pricey compared to other alterna products or all other salon brands and it's definatelly worth the money. I love that is sulfate and paraben free. Also both products do really hydrate hair. I do find though they work much better when combined. Another user mentioned that alterna conditioners are not moisturising. I disagree. I find Alterna conditioners and treatments more hydrating than every other brand i have tried. My hair dont really like protein and i believe alterna doesn;t have protein in the bamboo line that's why ly hair likes it so much. I will try the shine shampoo and conditioner in the future. I would definatelly reccoment the smooth anti frizz.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/13/2012 8:14:00 PM More reviews by Australianforbeerk2k3

This shampoo is wonderful, and I notice a huge difference when I use it vs. when I do not. When I use it, my hair is smooth, easier to blowdry, frizz-free, and full of body. When I don't, it frizzes and is very unmanageable. This shampoo also protects my color, and it isn't tested on animals, which I appreciate! I highly recommend - I've tried many shampoos but always come back to this one, as it provides obvious results!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/25/2012 8:22:00 AM More reviews by lchoe

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is my favorite out of the Alterna Shampoos (I've been using this brand off and on since 1998) and I have purchased this after using samples from Sephora. As I have long stick-straight silky hair (korean) 3" past my shoulders, I would never have thought of a shampoo with "smooth anti frizz" working well for me b/c I don't have any frizz and I look for shampoos that give me body & fullness (I associate smooth w/ flat hair). My favorite Sephora rep recommended this shampoo to me & wow, I am glad she did.

The $20 price is reasonable for Alterna (other Alterna shampoos cost $32 - $50 for 8.5 oz). Like most Alterna shampoos, you only need a tiny amount of shampoo for a full lather. My scalp felt so clean (but not dried out), the shine factor was good but what I loved was that my hair had decent BODY & when I moved, my hair would SWING which I love (nice surprise)! I LOVE how Alterna shampoos keep my scalp CLEANER LONGER than most other shampoos without drying out my scalp/hair and this shampoo did not disappoint in that factor. Overall this shampoo is reliable for a good hair day & I use this when I have an important event & my hair needs to look its best.

*ONLY culprit (why I gave this a 4 instead of a 5) for this shampoo is that this is HIGH up on the EWG Website for potentially health harming ingredients (www.ewg.org, measures health hazard ingredients in our toiletries). Alterna Shampoos have ranked 7 - 9! (10 is the WORST) on the EWG Website I do not feel comfortable washing my hair/scalp frequently w/ harm causing chemicals (your scalp pores are large so it/your body soaks up anything you put on it) which Alterna Shampoos are abundant in so I save this shampoo for rare occasions. I use Trader Joe's Tea Tree Oil Shampoo (no sulfates, almost no parabens) for most of my shampoo needs (great results and only a 4 on the ewg website). Trader Joe's other tea tree products: conditioner & body wash are AMAZING & only $3.99 for 16 oz (it is very RARE for me to use low priced items).

I do not use the Alterna Conditioner & Masques as over & over (since 1998), I have found their conditioning products to be WEAK and not effective. My favorite Sephora Sales Associates agree with me on this one (exception for them: they love Kendi Oil, but this is too heavy/greasy for my straight hair).

Other Alterna Shampoos I have used):
~ALTERNA Luminous Shine Shampoo, $20 for 8.5 oz - left a yukky film/coating on my hair and my hair was not that shiny after using this.
~ALTERNA Caviar Moisture Shampoo, $32 for 8 oz, *warning - after 3 uses, this made my hair from neck down so brittle & snarled, I had to immediately get a trim to cut off the damage (my stylist was in shock that a shampoo could cause such damage), 7 - 9 rating on ewg.org

I am 46, have fine (but lots of it) long (3" past shoulders), Korean, black, straight hair. I also use: Kerastase Bain Miroir 1 & 2 Shampoos, Kerastase masques (MasquIntense, UV Defense), Bumble & Bumble (Super Rich Cond.), Joico (K-Pak deep conditioners), Redken (Extreme Conditioner, All Soft).

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/24/2012 11:49:00 PM More reviews by italiana800

I finally gave in to buying this shampoo, with the matching conditioner. I will start off by saying I do not like the smell of this shampoo at all. Something about the smell makes me nauseous, it's gross. The conditoner on the other hand, smells a lot better & I can tolerate it. Besides that, this shampoo felt very nice on my hair & it gently, but effectively cleaned my scalp & hair very well. I think this shampoo removed a lot of the build up from hair products. This has not dried my hair out so far, & this did leave my hair really smooth, with almost no frizz in sight. This did not eliminate 100% of the frizz, but it did make a lot of it less noticeable. This shampoo/conditioner is very expensive, especially for the amount you get. I have very thick, naturally curly hair....so I'll be done with this bottle in 3 weeks tops. Which, really doesn't justify the price of this. So overall, I'm not sure if I would buy this again. This did work well, but it wasn't anything amazing. Definitely not HG material. I still gave this a rating of 4 out of 5, because the product itself was pretty good. I just know I can find something that's just as good as this shampoo/conditioner, for way less that comes with a way higher amount of product.