Diptyque Eau Duelle

3.9

on 9/25/2014 4:55:00 PM

this just smells like cheap incense on my skin. no vanilla. nothing sweet. very disappointed

Subtle, spicy (peppery) vanilla scent. Not too in your face. Love it!!!

on 3/3/2014 7:20:00 PM

Someone recommended it so I sprayed it on in the store. At first was like, "ew" then it grew on me. I refuse to pay for it, but everytime I go to the store, I spray it all over me. Lower the price and I'll buy it.

on 10/14/2013 2:54:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Sorry folks, I hated this one. Normally rich, woody vanillas are right up my alley but Eau Duelle leaves me feeling queasy. The vanilla has a distinctly indigestible feeling--sickly sweet and slightly nausea inducing. It's not a badly made perfume, but obviously there is some aromachemical in it that does not agree with me.

on 8/25/2013 12:12:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Warm

As a former diptyque employee, I must confess that their scents are not for me. I can totally appreciate the artistry and timelessness of the fragrances, but would never really buy them of my own volition...with the exception of Eau Duelle. I am a die hard gourmand scent wearer. Since diptyque fragrances are largely derived from natural essences, foody scents are out of the question. Duelle is the closest they do to a gourmand scent and it is absolutely divine. Another reviewer put it best: this is vanilla, all grown up. The bitter burst of black tea and juniper keeps the fragrance's opening lively and interesting. The cardamom and saffron elements are completely unique IMO and not something everyone's nose can detect; very subtle and warm. Overall, the scent fades to a delicate incense, which reminds me of Indian holidays at home with my family. This EDT is incredibly sophisticated and since the vanilla in question is bourbon vanilla, it does not err on the side of BBW or anything generic. I would never relegate this perfume to a season. It is always perfect to me and blends beautifully with other diptyque scents. A must for vanilla-lovers everywhere.

on 3/26/2013 2:50:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Eyes: Violet

Eau Duelle, AKA a "vanilla for grown ups", manages to stand up from the innumerable crowd of vanilla fragrances thanks to a spicy-musky-resiny combination that delivers something quite unique: besides a concrete, sweet but not sugary bourbon vanilla as a top note, I can smell spices, namely cardamom, pink pepper, juniper and saffron; then come a bunch of resins to give it substantiality: elemi, olibanum, ambergris... and a squeeze of bergamot, plus black tea, to add some sharpness and prevent the baker's shop effect. The musky base adds warmth and skinlike effect.
It's a nice and pleasant fragrance, but it somewhat lacks some personality. It's the kind of fragrance one would wear at a Sunday function, or at a job interview. It would be lovely as a scent for my favourite body lotion, but I go for something wilder when I have to chose a fragrance.
So, even if I agree in calling this a "grown up vanilla", I'd leave it for the younger girls (in fact, there's also a slight bubble gum and candy impression in the overall effect).

on 2/11/2013 10:29:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Certainly not "young" and fresh, but more mature and ridiculously elegant. Starts out as a light, but distinctly apt version of Fendi's old Theorema; a beautiful, Oriental, Spicy fragrance. As far as I can tell it was discontinued. Betsey Johnson's Eau de Perfume ripped it off, but in a much less classy vein. Eau Duelle is definitely a higher-end version of it to start. Much more subtle. Then, it begins to change once it settles. Following the initial stage, we have a nutmeg vanilla with a hint of caramel. Still Oriental, still spicy, yet subtle. Very soft. The nuances of it really have to be sniffed. Then a Cedar Vanilla comes out with notes of Nutmeg spice. Almost a milky quality to it. Smooth, soft and spicy, but rich. Your mileage may vary depending on the your chemistry. UPDATE: After sniffing it on and off for about a month, I totally fell in love. The cedar/sandalwood vanilla steadily began to charm me and now I am looking to find a larger bottle of it on Ebay. While I wouldn't pay the retail price for this for any fragrance, I would jump at the chance to get my hands on another decently priced bottle.

on 12/21/2012 11:08:00 AM

This is sooo pretty but I have to ask...does this not remind anyone of POTL? It's a dead-ringer to me and much less expensive. Plus, I love the fact that it comes in a solid form for travel. Love this!

on 9/21/2012 9:21:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I love this. I keep coming back to this, winter or summer, and that's saying a lot since I'm always checking out new scents. Never really considered myself a vanilla person (still don't) but the vanilla note in this isn't sickly sweet at all. The combo of (not sweet) vanilla and incense is addicting. I only wish it lasted longer. I saw diptyque recently announced a series of "intense" or parfum versions of some of their EDTs but sadly this one is not one of them :( Gave it a 5 for price because I see myself finishing the bottle pretty soon, from always reapplying. But I'll very likely repurchase The packaging is gorgeous as with all diptyque products. Love that you can see the backside of the front picture through the bottle when you turn it around.

on 9/21/2012 4:33:00 PM

I really like Eau Duelle ....... it is very light and not very long-lasting but on my skin I pick up the vanilla and musk ........ I just wish that it lasted longer as I find myself having to refresh during the day, however, it is a nice everyday fragrance and great for those who don't like stronger scents...... not one of my favorite vanilla's but very close ...... I will repurchase.

Popular Fragrances