Diptyque Eau Duelle

3.9

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

Eau Duelle EDP:
Oh, yeah. Forgive my layman’s nose, I’m just going to lay it out there flat:

On one side, Eau Duelle is a beautiful, smooth, rich, gourmand (but not juvenile) vanilla, which, to me, strikes me as very feminine. On the other side, the dry, almost parched, herbs, dry pine and woods, maybe some pepper come across as masculine to me…the key words for me here are “dry” and “herbs”. I’m used to the sweeter, more feminine type of vanillas (Hypnotic Poison for example…and I feel like there is some similarity between the vanilla in HP and Eau Duelle), Eau Duelle seems quite “natural”…doesn’t seem as on purpose. I smell it and I don’t automatically think “perfume”…it’s a little more tactful than that…”effortless”? I always think spices help meld a perfume to one’s own skin…maybe that’s what’s happening in Eau Duelle, maybe the tact and more natural scent of Eau Duelle is what makes it so sexy to my nose.

I find the EDP to be linear after about 10 minutes, there’s not much change on the skin. Eau Duelle EDP wears reasonably close to the skin…I think you might choke yourself in your perfume before you choked out someone else. I have a fairly sensitive nose, and can tolerate two pumps (most perfumes I can barely stand one pump): one in my hair, one on the back of the neck, although, if in close proximity to others (public transit during rush hour), please, just stick to one pump. Wear is a reasonable: six hours on the skin, before it becomes so faint that most won’t notice it.

Packaging is classy, substantial and beautifully androgynous, in a glass bottle with a black label and black accents (I can’t tell if the actual glass on the bottle is a slightly darker than the EDT..the EDT comes with white accents). The cap actually clicks into place, so there’s no worries about it opening while in transit. While the bottle may not keep step with marabou trim and hot pink, this bottle will be equally at home on your dresser, or your man’s.

I don’t know if the EDP comes in a smaller bottle than what I have: 2.5 fl oz or 75 mL for $140 at the time of writing…I hope it does. Nevertheless, I’m a huge fan…Eau Duelle may have become my new HG.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

A great vanilla spice, more vanilla than spice and woods, but all are present throughout the fragrance's wear, especially frankincense. A unique fragrance element. Also the unique aspect of juniper lends a subtle fruitiness that does not take away from this being a subtle vanilla spice, but gives it an almost green effervenscence that makes the fragrance at least approachable for warm months as well as colder, at least for me, but I am not a traditionally fruity/sweet floral/sugary summer fragrance person, so that's something. Got this for my Mom as it is more vanilla than overtly purely woodsy or spicy, which is what I would have preferred slightly to what this actually is, a more vanilla fragrance, and she likes some vanilla to her woods and spices sometimes too. To note, she likes Burberry Brit and was a fan of the original formula of Bath and Body Works Warm Vanilla Sugar befire the modern formula with added shea butter that diluted the scent and BBW classic but usually unavailable White Tea and Ginger.

Note. This review pertains to the Eau de Toilette of this fragrance. Eau de Parfum is said to be different in ratios of the notes, though all notes are still present and are the same. I have not smelled/tried the EDp.

on 9/25/2014 4:55:00 PM

this just smells like cheap incense on my skin. no vanilla. nothing sweet. very disappointed

Subtle, spicy (peppery) vanilla scent. Not too in your face. Love it!!!

on 3/3/2014 7:20:00 PM

Someone recommended it so I sprayed it on in the store. At first was like, "ew" then it grew on me. I refuse to pay for it, but everytime I go to the store, I spray it all over me. Lower the price and I'll buy it.

on 10/14/2013 2:54:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Sorry folks, I hated this one. Normally rich, woody vanillas are right up my alley but Eau Duelle leaves me feeling queasy. The vanilla has a distinctly indigestible feeling--sickly sweet and slightly nausea inducing. It's not a badly made perfume, but obviously there is some aromachemical in it that does not agree with me.

on 8/25/2013 12:12:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Warm

As a former diptyque employee, I must confess that their scents are not for me. I can totally appreciate the artistry and timelessness of the fragrances, but would never really buy them of my own volition...with the exception of Eau Duelle. I am a die hard gourmand scent wearer. Since diptyque fragrances are largely derived from natural essences, foody scents are out of the question. Duelle is the closest they do to a gourmand scent and it is absolutely divine. Another reviewer put it best: this is vanilla, all grown up. The bitter burst of black tea and juniper keeps the fragrance's opening lively and interesting. The cardamom and saffron elements are completely unique IMO and not something everyone's nose can detect; very subtle and warm. Overall, the scent fades to a delicate incense, which reminds me of Indian holidays at home with my family. This EDT is incredibly sophisticated and since the vanilla in question is bourbon vanilla, it does not err on the side of BBW or anything generic. I would never relegate this perfume to a season. It is always perfect to me and blends beautifully with other diptyque scents. A must for vanilla-lovers everywhere.

on 3/26/2013 2:50:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Eyes: Violet

Eau Duelle, AKA a "vanilla for grown ups", manages to stand up from the innumerable crowd of vanilla fragrances thanks to a spicy-musky-resiny combination that delivers something quite unique: besides a concrete, sweet but not sugary bourbon vanilla as a top note, I can smell spices, namely cardamom, pink pepper, juniper and saffron; then come a bunch of resins to give it substantiality: elemi, olibanum, ambergris... and a squeeze of bergamot, plus black tea, to add some sharpness and prevent the baker's shop effect. The musky base adds warmth and skinlike effect.
It's a nice and pleasant fragrance, but it somewhat lacks some personality. It's the kind of fragrance one would wear at a Sunday function, or at a job interview. It would be lovely as a scent for my favourite body lotion, but I go for something wilder when I have to chose a fragrance.
So, even if I agree in calling this a "grown up vanilla", I'd leave it for the younger girls (in fact, there's also a slight bubble gum and candy impression in the overall effect).

on 2/11/2013 10:29:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Certainly not "young" and fresh, but more mature and ridiculously elegant. Starts out as a light, but distinctly apt version of Fendi's old Theorema; a beautiful, Oriental, Spicy fragrance. As far as I can tell it was discontinued. Betsey Johnson's Eau de Perfume ripped it off, but in a much less classy vein. Eau Duelle is definitely a higher-end version of it to start. Much more subtle. Then, it begins to change once it settles. Following the initial stage, we have a nutmeg vanilla with a hint of caramel. Still Oriental, still spicy, yet subtle. Very soft. The nuances of it really have to be sniffed. Then a Cedar Vanilla comes out with notes of Nutmeg spice. Almost a milky quality to it. Smooth, soft and spicy, but rich. Your mileage may vary depending on the your chemistry. UPDATE: After sniffing it on and off for about a month, I totally fell in love. The cedar/sandalwood vanilla steadily began to charm me and now I am looking to find a larger bottle of it on Ebay. While I wouldn't pay the retail price for this for any fragrance, I would jump at the chance to get my hands on another decently priced bottle.

on 12/21/2012 11:08:00 AM

This is sooo pretty but I have to ask...does this not remind anyone of POTL? It's a dead-ringer to me and much less expensive. Plus, I love the fact that it comes in a solid form for travel. Love this!

Popular Fragrances