Emjoi Prestige Epilator

4.3

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This product makes me feel like a grown up. Epilating is something that a grown up, European type, classy lady would do. I've graduated from razors, to waxing, to this. Welcome to being 40. Warning: this review is long, but it's a complicated product so bear with me.
I was looking for a way to cut down on shaving time. I need to shave 3x a week and frankly, it was a pain; I need my shower time to contemplate the universe, not shave. I had tried waxing and am too inept to do it at home, and too cheap and busy to do it at a salon. So after exhaustive internet research, most of it here on MUA, I ordered this, directly from the company. It was over $130 Cdn when I got all the shipping and duty in.
The actual product looks awesome. Mine is a little red shaver type looking thing. It comes in a white bag with a cleaning brush, a loofah and all the warranty/instructions paperwork. The tweezer head looks a little intimidating but it is small enough to travel with...but I won't have to, more on that later.
MUA walked me through the initial few uses. I shaved and then waited 2 days so the hair was long enough to grab but it was less painful. Think about pulling your head hair at the roots vs the long ends...see? For the first 2 weeks, I used this every 2 days for about 15 mins to gradually work through all the hair growth cycles.
Pain is about a 3 out of 10. I can handle that. But you know yourself; if tweezing your eyebrows is a big deal, maybe this isn't for you. If you are a member of Fight Club, you probably won't even notice this baby.
Standard cautions apply: smooth, dry skin with no lotion on it, and hold the skin taut. If you are nervous or have a low pain threshold, try it after a shower so your pores are more open, or pop an ibuprofen 20 mins prior to. Scotch works too but may impair your abilities to operate motor driven appliances.
After 6 months, I use this once a week, for about 10 mins. Now the travel tip: my hair is now so fine that I could skip a week. I am shortly travelling for 2 weeks and am not packing this, or any razors; awesome! More room for makeup in my bag!
Some details: in an ibuprofen fueled haze I tried this once on my bikini line. I've given birth twice, I thought I was tough. OMFG. So no. There is Nair in my cupboard for that and we aren't going there again. Having said that, I use this on my underarms with no excessive pain. I have not used this on my face.
Bottom line: this little gadget is awesome. It was worth every penny, it has made my life easier and makes me feel better about not buying and throwing out those expensive Intuition razor heads. In weird news, I saw it in the Hammacher Schlemmer catalogue recently. You know, that weird one with all the insanely expensive head massagers and 8 ft Darth Vader Christmas inflatables for your lawn. But don't believe the weirdness; it actually works.
If you want detailed step by steps, feel free to PM me.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Wonderful epilator. I bought it years ago and barely used it, mostly because I got myself too worked up over the notion of multiple oscillating tweezers pulling out body hair. Although that may sound terrifying, when you actually get over the mental fear of it, it's not that bad. If you're short on cash to get your arms and legs waxed but still want the look of it, then give this a shot. I got it on sale for less than $30 from what I recall which wouldn't even cover half a waxing session. Plus it's in the convenience of my own home and on my schedule.

Some pointers:
Make sure your skin is clean and without lotion.
Hold the skin taut.
Lightly glide the epilator over your skin.

I've learned so much from makeupalley that I wanted to contribute too. I hope this helps.

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

This is my first epilator... although I'm no stranger to having the hair ripped out of me (via wax, threading), I had never thought about an epilator (until a recent threading experience made me realize... why am i paying this woman to make me cry seriously a brazilian wax is nothing compared to getting some threading done on your face)... SO i did some research. I didn't need a full blown professional model.... I'm not particularly hairy... my legs are practically bald and mostly light brown/blonde.... So this unit has 21 tweezers which I figured was more than adequate (and i was right). I get psoriasis and eczema when I shave my legs, and horrible irritation under my arms... so waxing has been how I avoid patches on my legs and rashes under my arms. but it's not CHEAP when you add it all up. SO for $49 at Sallys, it's worth it (considering i'll never do that threading again) one visit for legs, pits and lip w/tip. The legs... easiest thing to epilate. I was thrilled... it was not even much of a pinch. I thought... this is a piece of CAKE. My underarms .... not so bad to epilate.... it's a little nerve wracking at first... you think it's going to kill ya.... it's not. There's a more noise w/the unit... the clacking of the tweezer thingies that is a little off putting at first & it makes you think... oh this is gonna hurt. It's truly not that bad. The face... stung more than anywhere else. BUT i suppose that's not so surprising since I just decided the blonde fuzz has to go & have never really done any waxing or anything (besides that gawd awful threading)... SO all in all. I recommend it, if you're not too squeamish and can handle a lil 'no pain no gain'. I used a lil after care to make sure i dont get any ingrowns (which i'm prone too).