Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque

3.7

Deionized Water, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter)*, Argan Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Emulsifying Wax, Sea Kelp Extract, Panthenol (Vitamin B‚Äź5), Essential Oil Blend, Avocado Oil, Lonicera Caprifolium (Honeysuckle) Flower (and) Lonicera Japonica (Japanese Honeysuckle) Flower extract, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Hyssopus Officinalis Extract, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Leaf and Equisetum Arvense Extract, Soybean Oil, Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Seed Oil. *Denotes Certified Organic Ingredient.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I like this masque when my 2b/2c fine, low porosity, wavy hair is really dry, but I don't think it works any differently for my hair than the conditioner in the same line does. I like both products, but don't think having both is necessary (at least for me).

I will use this sometimes for 30-40 minutes before I shower if my hair feels really dry, but if I just want to use it because it's been too long (maybe a month) since I've used a moisturizing mask, I'll use it for 10 or so minutes while I shower.

on 3/21/2015 4:52:00 AM

To begin, I have bleached my hair twice, the second time damaged my hair reallu bad so i am on the look out for hair treatments that make my hair manageable again, Used all of this. Didnt enjoy the smell, It kinda gave me a headache... Ive tried to leave this from 5 to 30 min.. Nothing made a difference my hair was really rough after use. It was really thick and hard to work through my hair. Will not repurchase again.. I tried really hard to talk this product... Tried to add olive oil, and add my daily conditioner to make it work but nothing helped.. Now im using something i like much better.

on 3/18/2015 9:35:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

There's an annoying learning curve here. It's pretty close to pure whipped shea butter -- not creamy and nothing buttery about it, as the name implies. Without ingredients that provide slip, this can be tough to work through the hair and it encourages tangling... which can be a dealbreaker for some.

The catch! This only works for me because I follow with a really good blow dry spray that detangles. Without that spray, my hair would be unmanageable after this mask.

Once blow dried, my hair is softer than it would have been if I used any other conditioner.

If you like the idea of this mask, but want something more cosmetically elegant... look into Phyto Ultra Nourishing Mask or Neutrogena Triple Moisture. It makes the process less of a hassle, and has similar benefits.

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

This product was recommended to help with the dryness of my daughterís hair. This Masque left my daughters hair brittle, tangled and very dry feeling. I immediately put a deep condition in after unsuccessfully attempting to comb through her hair but it still feels brittle and tangles easily. I can tell it's going to take a few deep conditionings to restore her hair to a normal ph balance. Based on the reviews, this product is a hit or miss and most of those who "Love" it aren't using it as directed, but rather mixing it with water using it as a leave-in, adding oil to combat the dryness, etc. I'm sorry but if I have to tweak a product that much (at this cost), it's a failure.

on 1/23/2015 10:59:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Packaging was the worst ever. You have to stop in the shower, unscrew the lid, try to not get water in the masque while you desperately try to scoop some conditioner out without falling over (I have a problem with this). Consistency isn't too thick, they could put it in a darned tube or something. That being said, I wouldn't buy it in a tube anyway. It did not make me feel like my hair was "deep treatment" anything. I got this on sale BOGO at Rite Aid so the price wasn't bad but honestly, my daughter's 97 cent conditioner does a better job than this stuff. Sulfates win the day again.

on 12/17/2014 9:17:00 PM

I cut my hair to my chin June 2014 to start fresh and grow healthy hair. It's now December 2014 and my hair has grown a little past my collar bones. I've had 1 trim within these 6 months, all I had to cut was a quarter inch (that's all I needed trimmed in 6 months!) I give this hair masque 90% of the credit for the growth and current health of my hair. The other 10% of the credit goes to eliminating heat and finger combining my hair or using a wide tooth comb instead of a brush. Mexican American with dark, straight/wavy hair (just to let you know my hair type) I use it once a week on days where I'm not going out because it is very heavy and makes my hair oily a day after washing. The only con I can think of is the smell, to me it smells like those little white powdered donuts.

I have many Shea Moisture products that I absolutely love, but this is not one of them. I used up the whole tub, but did not notice anything particularly special about it. I really love the matching shampoo to this product, and think it actually makes my hair softer than this masque.

The mask is thick in texture, yellow, and smelled just o.k. I noticed when I applied it to my hair in the shower, it felt like it disappeared almost. Although the texture looks thick, it didn't feel that way once applied. Also, I could not brush through my hair after applying this. I usually apply a deep conditioner, and then comb through it in the shower and let it sit - then wash it out. This masque just would NOT detangle my hair, and I could not comb through it. I had the same issue once I got out of the shower. Because of that, I won't be repurchasing.

on 10/18/2014 2:16:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

This was just an ok hair mask. It left my hair some what moisturized but it wasn't anything a regular conditioner couldn't do. I've tried using this in combination with other oils and using it overnight to see if I would get better results. For the price I would definitely not repurchase again. And so the search for a HG deep conditioner continues...

Skin: Oily, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I give this product a B. I find that when I use it as a moisturizer for protective styles (namely buns) in conjunction with oils it conditions my hair, and mixed in with creamier conditioners as a deep conditioner it works really well...but alone...I agree with the masses, it is pretty blah. I like to mix this conditioner with Aussie Moist or Pantene's new deep conditioner (I cannot remember the name)...I mix the two and apply all over my head, add some coconut oil, and sit under the drier for 20 to 30 minutes. I think because this product has a large amount of natural shea butter it can weigh down the hair and make it dull...but with a more slippery conditioner I feel like it breaks up that "build up factor" and penetrates the hair and still rinses clean. I hope this helps someone!

on 10/7/2014 11:26:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I'll admit I only tried this once, but it was so horrible that I didn't want to even bother with it again.
I've started embracing my natural curls rather than fighting with a straightener every morning, which means I use more conditioner than I'm used to and was in search of a hair mask as a weekly treatment. I love the ingredients in this mask and the smell, but it coated my hair and made it weirdly stringy and weighed down. My hair felt horrible and barely curled at all, though I made sure to rinse out all of the product.
The only reason this is getting a 2 instead of a 1 is that I suspect my hair is too fine for this to be an effective treatment. The ingredients are great and it smells wonderful, is a good price, but just not for me at all.

Top Rated Shea Moisture Products