Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque

3.6

Deionized Water, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter)*, Argan Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Emulsifying Wax, Sea Kelp Extract, Panthenol (Vitamin B‚Äź5), Essential Oil Blend, Avocado Oil, Lonicera Caprifolium (Honeysuckle) Flower (and) Lonicera Japonica (Japanese Honeysuckle) Flower extract, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Hyssopus Officinalis Extract, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Leaf and Equisetum Arvense Extract, Soybean Oil, Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Seed Oil. *Denotes Certified Organic Ingredient.

on 8/17/2015 8:25:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

i used this hair mask about once a week for two months, and i've come to the conclusion that it does literally the opposite of what it's supposed to. it left my hair dry and frizzy which is odd as hell considering it's supposed to, i quote from the website, "deeply moisturize and repair dry, damaged or over-processed hair"? it smells ridiculously good though, but unfortunately, the good scent is not enough to keep me using such a garbage product.

on 7/6/2015 6:12:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I've had this for about nine months. I bought it to use as a treatment mask to help combat my dry hair and crunchy ends. After years of experimenting, and taking part in online hair forums, and learning as much as I possibly could about hair and what moisturizes it, I consider myself relatively in the know. With ingredients like this I thought it would certainly work better than it did.
And this stuff sucks. It did absolutely nothing for my hair. Not as a leave in, and not as a mask and not as a conditioner. I've used it as a prewash treatment, I've used it as a hair mask wrapped with and without heat, and I've even left it on my ends overnight. Absolutely offers no moisture to my thirsty hair. Also, a squeeze tube packaging would be much more practical with this type of product. People are bound to use this in the shower and it just gets water inside of it and degrades the product further.

I would not repurchase at all. And I will stay away from all Shea Moisture haircare products. I do like their lotions tho.

I've found some amazing hair masques for moisture, some very reasonably priced (Aussie, One 'n Only, L'Oreal, Neutrogena) and a few high-end (Moroccanoil, Matrix) and I thought I would like this one.

Its claims are sought after and ingredients are highly raved about, but it's my first experience with using raw shea butter in a product so I had high hopes that my super parched strands would love this!

My hair is has a large curl pattern that can be styled naturally curly or wavy. It's medium textured but highlighted/processed so the ends are course and rough. I use minimal heat, maybe once a month, but my hair is still prone to breakage.

I know that many people say that "protein overloads" are a myth, but if I use ANY product with protein, my ends will be stiff, and retaining moisture afterwards is a HUGE task. In my experience, protein sensitivity can simply NOT be written off as a "myth" - as my hair does absorb protein more easily than it absorbs moisture.

I picked up this masque as an effort to give my hair a super dose of moisturizing properties. It failed to deliver as much as I wanted to love it. I tried it as directed, as a deep conditioner in the shower, and also as an overnight treatment. It didn't do much if anything to add moisture to my hair.

I was disappointed in the texture (a bit runnier than I expected), as well as the scent. It does smell like clay. :(

I won't repurchase, and will stick to my HG deep conditioner for moisture, the Moroccanoil Intense Hydration Mask.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

First time I used it, I only put it on for about 20minytes in the shower and combed it through. I didn't feel like it did much. A few weeks later, I wanted to give it a try again. This time, I combed it through on towel dried hair then used a thin towel to soak in hot hot water and rang it out, wrapped it around my hair and let it sit for about 30minutes. Rinsed with Luke warm water and after doing it this way my hair was so soft !! It actually made a huge difference. I do this once every two weeks and it's the best I've used so far. I am Mexican and Italian with wavy/curly hair that tends to get very dry easily.

on 5/5/2015 2:49:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Worst deep treatment I have ever used!! I picked up 2 different treatments from this brand and one was great but this was horrible! It smells like play-doh and is too thin to do anything. I tried it 3 different times and my hair felt worse than before after each shower. If you don't like having hair that feels like straw you should skip this one!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I like this masque when my 2b/2c fine, low porosity, wavy hair is really dry, but I don't think it works any differently for my hair than the conditioner in the same line does. I like both products, but don't think having both is necessary (at least for me).

I will use this sometimes for 30-40 minutes before I shower if my hair feels really dry, but if I just want to use it because it's been too long (maybe a month) since I've used a moisturizing mask, I'll use it for 10 or so minutes while I shower.

on 3/21/2015 4:52:00 AM

To begin, I have bleached my hair twice, the second time damaged my hair reallu bad so i am on the look out for hair treatments that make my hair manageable again, Used all of this. Didnt enjoy the smell, It kinda gave me a headache... Ive tried to leave this from 5 to 30 min.. Nothing made a difference my hair was really rough after use. It was really thick and hard to work through my hair. Will not repurchase again.. I tried really hard to talk this product... Tried to add olive oil, and add my daily conditioner to make it work but nothing helped.. Now im using something i like much better.

on 3/18/2015 9:35:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

There's an annoying learning curve here. It's pretty close to pure whipped shea butter -- not creamy and nothing buttery about it, as the name implies. Without ingredients that provide slip, this can be tough to work through the hair and it encourages tangling... which can be a dealbreaker for some.

The catch! This only works for me because I follow with a really good blow dry spray that detangles. Without that spray, my hair would be unmanageable after this mask.

Once blow dried, my hair is softer than it would have been if I used any other conditioner.

If you like the idea of this mask, but want something more cosmetically elegant... look into Phyto Ultra Nourishing Mask or Neutrogena Triple Moisture. It makes the process less of a hassle, and has similar benefits.

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

This product was recommended to help with the dryness of my daughterís hair. This Masque left my daughters hair brittle, tangled and very dry feeling. I immediately put a deep condition in after unsuccessfully attempting to comb through her hair but it still feels brittle and tangles easily. I can tell it's going to take a few deep conditionings to restore her hair to a normal ph balance. Based on the reviews, this product is a hit or miss and most of those who "Love" it aren't using it as directed, but rather mixing it with water using it as a leave-in, adding oil to combat the dryness, etc. I'm sorry but if I have to tweak a product that much (at this cost), it's a failure.

on 1/23/2015 10:59:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Packaging was the worst ever. You have to stop in the shower, unscrew the lid, try to not get water in the masque while you desperately try to scoop some conditioner out without falling over (I have a problem with this). Consistency isn't too thick, they could put it in a darned tube or something. That being said, I wouldn't buy it in a tube anyway. It did not make me feel like my hair was "deep treatment" anything. I got this on sale BOGO at Rite Aid so the price wasn't bad but honestly, my daughter's 97 cent conditioner does a better job than this stuff. Sulfates win the day again.

Top Rated Shea Moisture Products