Shiseido Nourishing Mascara Base

4.3

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

i have really straight short asian lashes so mascara primer is a must for me. i really liked how this primer really held my curl well. i've used dior, urban decay and lancome lash primers and this shiseido one beats the others in terms of holding a curl. it also does a good job of lengthening, however its not as volumizing as some of the other primers. this is still however one of my top lash primers. however my local sephora doesn't carry this in store. so it makes it harder for me to readily buy it.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I am a big believer in lash primers. I have tried many, and for the last few year have been using the Dior primer. After reading glowing reviews for Shiseido's primer, I decided to give it a try. I do enjoy the gel consistancy, but I don't find this primer to add any length or volume. It helps with creating a smooth base for my mascara, but that's about it. I will definitely go back to Dior once I'm finished with this tube. What a shame, as I was really hoping to like it. I love Shiseido's skin care line and foundations so I had high hopes. Too bad.

on 2/19/2015 10:34:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I like mascara primers. I have very long lashes, but they're so straight and slightly sparse, so I am looking for something to hold curl and provide volume.

What it comes down to for me is that this isn't worth the price. It's clear and easy to apply. It was so-so in the volume department, but I think it provided no benefit in holding a curl on my stubborn lashes. It left my lashes feeling drier than normal and was difficult to remove.

I'm thinking now of experimenting with layering mascaras instead.

on 1/23/2015 9:39:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Bought this impulsively after reading review after review saying this helps hold a curl. I have thin, straight lashes and I cannot stand wilted curl. However, I also hate waterproof mascara for its difficulty in removal. Over the years I have waded through mascaras which do or do not wilt curl and if they do, they are not even a contender. As for primers, I have tried those by Tarte, E.L.F., and Dior in the past. All were thick white creams that weighed down my lashes and didn't do anything great otherwise. So I was skeptical of the Shiseido. But it is different. It is a gel, not a cream, and it really does lock in the lift (much like a brow gel would hold brows in place). After this and mascara, my lashes stay almost as curled as when freshly curled, all day. Hooray! Now, I can't really say it does anything amazing for adding volume, but I'm sure it isn't hurting either, being an extra layer. It does not ADD any problems like clumping or sticking together, though. One thing I'm not crazy about is that it dries pretty stiff, and so once it is dry, it's a little harder to really layer on mascara. It's a bit like trying to comb your hair after hairspray - I have trouble getting the mascara brush wedged into the lashes well. But this is not a dealbreaker. Maybe because of that it should be 4 stars, but I'm just so excited that it holds a curl AND removes easily that I am inflating my rating.
EDIT: I had to come back and sing the praises of this product even more...it is a GAME CHANGER for me. I have been trying many mascaras on top of it, high and low end, including some I had put in a drawer because I didn't like them. This base makes any mascara better. I am getting good results no matter what I use on top. It allows me to do what I never could before: layer more than one coat without weighing down the curl. So I can play around to get the drama I want. I am actually a little sad that the search is over for the HG mascara. It wasn't the mascara that needed finding, it was this primer!! Woot!

on 7/17/2014 6:53:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is a great mascara primer. I've recently switched from using nothing but waterproof mascara to normal, washable mascara and discovered in doing so that my lashes do not hold a curl AT ALL without the waterproof formula. I turned to this primer for a solution. While it still allows the curl to fall out a bit, it does still keep them relatively curved. While I'm not blown away, it's better than nothing. It does seem to add a bit of thickness to my lashes as well. The formula is more gel-like than normal mascara but goes on smoothly, and the brush is a great shape that is easy to use and allows you to coat every lash. I will definitely purchase this product again because the end result is much better with it than without it, but I do wish it completely prevented the curl from falling out. But that might just be my individual lash problem.

on 5/26/2014 3:59:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

simple the best really. it prevents the mascara from bleeding down to raccoon eyes. it also helps adding thickness to the lashes. it lifts the lashes, helps to hold the lashes stay up. a must have to any asian dead straight lashes. with this, any mascara you use would work much better.

if i dont use this mascara base, i would need waterproof mascara, otherwise, it would bleed. but who would want to use waterproof mascara everyday, it is so drying to the lashes and very hard to remove.

some people said that this new formula of mascara base is not as good as the old one, i disagree. it seems to be less drying to the lashes and the brush is thinner which is a lot easier to apply to me monolids eye shape.

on 5/25/2014 7:36:00 AM

Great product- really holds a curl, lengthens and adds volume. Works well as a base for all he mascaras that I have used in combination with this product so far.

on 5/19/2014 10:34:00 AM

One word: AMAZING! Turned my asian, thin, straight lashes into falsies!! I paired this primer with my Heroine Make Kiss Me Long & Curl Mascara. The Long & Curl mascara itself is great with lengthening, keeping a curl, and remaining smudge proof all day... But it isn't great in the volume department. The Shiseido Nourishing Mascara Base was exactly what I needed! I only used one coat of this before putting on 2 coats of mascara and I didn't get any clumping.

on 3/22/2014 5:26:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

I have been using this product for over 9 years, yes really! Iíve tried them all, and would always run back to this Shiseido one. It goes to show if itís not broke then donít try and fix it.

This mascara helps make crap mascara look a million times better; it holds curls all day and night until youíre ready to remove your make up. It adds some fibres to thicken lashes; itís just too wonderful.

I found over the years the formula seems to have change ever so slightly, the packaging has improved.

on 2/26/2014 11:35:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I have been through two tubes of this, finishing up my third now. I have no issues with my lashes holding a curl, or smudgy mascaras. But I love the length this product gives my lashes! I would use 3 coats of my regular mascara to achieve the length I desire, but one coat of this, and one coat of mascara and I am good to go. Totally worth the extra step, imo!

The only con of this product... It tends to make my mascaras flakey after awhile. Through out the day, I notice a few specks of mascara below my eyes. But they are very easy to swipe away with my finger, and do not disturb the rest of my makeup or smear.

I think I only have this issue when the product is at the end of it's lifespan, about 3 or so months, and is in need of replacing. I will keep repurchasing though, the length it gives is totally amazing and worth it.

Popular Mascaras