August 21, 2014 | 1142 users online

Mascara - Shiseido - Nourishing Mascara Base

rated 4 of 5 on 7/17/2014 6:53:00 PM More reviews by lisasuem

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is a great mascara primer. I've recently switched from using nothing but waterproof mascara to normal, washable mascara and discovered in doing so that my lashes do not hold a curl AT ALL without the waterproof formula. I turned to this primer for a solution. While it still allows the curl to fall out a bit, it does still keep them relatively curved. While I'm not blown away, it's better than nothing. It does seem to add a bit of thickness to my lashes as well. The formula is more gel-like than normal mascara but goes on smoothly, and the brush is a great shape that is easy to use and allows you to coat every lash. I will definitely purchase this product again because the end result is much better with it than without it, but I do wish it completely prevented the curl from falling out. But that might just be my individual lash problem.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/26/2014 3:59:00 AM More reviews by hippodeem

simple the best really. it prevents the mascara from bleeding down to raccoon eyes. it also helps adding thickness to the lashes. it lifts the lashes, helps to hold the lashes stay up. a must have to any asian dead straight lashes. with this, any mascara you use would work much better.

if i dont use this mascara base, i would need waterproof mascara, otherwise, it would bleed. but who would want to use waterproof mascara everyday, it is so drying to the lashes and very hard to remove.

some people said that this new formula of mascara base is not as good as the old one, i disagree. it seems to be less drying to the lashes and the brush is thinner which is a lot easier to apply to me monolids eye shape.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/25/2014 7:36:00 AM More reviews by saliu

Great product- really holds a curl, lengthens and adds volume. Works well as a base for all he mascaras that I have used in combination with this product so far.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/19/2014 10:34:00 AM More reviews by shayv90

One word: AMAZING! Turned my asian, thin, straight lashes into falsies!! I paired this primer with my Heroine Make Kiss Me Long & Curl Mascara. The Long & Curl mascara itself is great with lengthening, keeping a curl, and remaining smudge proof all day... But it isn't great in the volume department. The Shiseido Nourishing Mascara Base was exactly what I needed! I only used one coat of this before putting on 2 coats of mascara and I didn't get any clumping.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/22/2014 5:26:00 PM More reviews by gloomyle

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have been using this product for over 9 years, yes really! Iíve tried them all, and would always run back to this Shiseido one. It goes to show if itís not broke then donít try and fix it.

This mascara helps make crap mascara look a million times better; it holds curls all day and night until youíre ready to remove your make up. It adds some fibres to thicken lashes; itís just too wonderful.

I found over the years the formula seems to have change ever so slightly, the packaging has improved.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/26/2014 11:35:00 PM More reviews by Gwiyomi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have been through two tubes of this, finishing up my third now. I have no issues with my lashes holding a curl, or smudgy mascaras. But I love the length this product gives my lashes! I would use 3 coats of my regular mascara to achieve the length I desire, but one coat of this, and one coat of mascara and I am good to go. Totally worth the extra step, imo!

The only con of this product... It tends to make my mascaras flakey after awhile. Through out the day, I notice a few specks of mascara below my eyes. But they are very easy to swipe away with my finger, and do not disturb the rest of my makeup or smear.

I think I only have this issue when the product is at the end of it's lifespan, about 3 or so months, and is in need of replacing. I will keep repurchasing though, the length it gives is totally amazing and worth it.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/22/2014 1:16:00 PM More reviews by PatentlyPink

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have stick straight Asian lashes, not short oddly enough, that almost hang down. This product is amazing. One coat under any mascara and my lashes hold a nice curl all day long with the use of a lash curler. Minus a lippie because you need to cover it all(or it looks grayish and odd) and with my last 2 tubes, the formula looks a bit watery and performs ever so slightly not as well as in the past. Still very good and recommended.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/17/2014 12:40:00 AM More reviews by ocelot1

I bought this since I don't use waterproof mascaras anymore but still needed something to hold the curl I made with my shi eyelash curler. Even though it held a curl, it leaves these weird fiber bead things on my lashes that clump up my mascara and i don't know what's in it but it makes my eyes itch like crazy. So sadly I could not use this for my eyelashes anymore. I use it to set my eyebrows and have to wipe the wand so it doesn't leave those weird flaky bead fibers

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/27/2014 4:39:00 AM More reviews by HottSauce

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I can finally give my over worked eyelash curler a break!!! I carry an eyelash curler always with me. I curl my lashes 2-3 times a day, after I already curled and put mascara on from the beginning. My Asian straight, pointed down lashes cannot hold a curl what so ever even with waterproof mascara and I tried everything. My lashes would droop back down. Until THIS. It gives length, volume, and curl holding abilities that last the whole day. I cannot imagine my lashes without it now. HG status. Will definitely buy again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/24/2013 1:30:00 PM More reviews by GacktCamui

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've had this on my Sephora shopping list for years and I finally decided to get it...and it's turning every mascara into the mascara of my dreams. My eyelashes don't hold a curl unless I'm using a waterproof mascara. All non-waterproof mascaras that claim to hold a curl fall flat on me. Why don't I just use waterproof mascaras? Because 1) they are so tough to remove, and 2) I don't need them for the waterproofing qualities. As much as I want and love curled lashes all the time, they are just not worth the effort and lash loss I will ultimately suffer.

But this...! This base holds a curl like a waterproof mascara but doesn't require intense or rough cleansing. I can take it off with any make up remover wipe and it doesn't make my lashes fall out.

I was using Maybelline Full n Soft waterproof as a curling base for other mascaras and even that, despite it's claim to be easy to remove, was still difficult for me. I would find at least 1 - 2 lashes on my make up wipes.

I did not know that they reformulated so I can't speak to that. But I can I am very impressed with the current formula.

It retails for $24 and I plan to repurchase for many years to come. My only regret is not purchasing sooner; I could've spent many more years in lash curl bliss!