January 27, 2015 | 1870 users online

Mascara - Hourglass - Film Noir Full Spectrum

rated 2 of 5 on 1/27/2015 3:10:00 PM More reviews by itzlina

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm one of the rare ones that did not like this mascara. It's so disappointing because Hourglass has some really nice products, but I disliked the mascara so much that I made a point to write a review for it. However, after reading all the rave reviews here I think you need to have long, full lashes to really appreciate this mascara. I have short, stubby, stick straight lashes that need a drier formula so that's why this product didn't work for me. I found it to be very thick and wet, clumped up my lashes and weighed down my barely there curl. I don't know if it's waterproof, but I wouldn't recommend it to those with oily lids because the wet formula will most likely give you raccoon eyes.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/23/2015 9:51:00 PM More reviews by biancastefani

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

"Your eyes are so pretty! You look like a Disney Princess."

LET ME TELL YOU THERE IS NO GREATER COMPLIMENT FOR A 90'S BABY.

First, a description of my lashes: naturally curled and pretty darn long but not as dense as I would like and thin to the point I would call them scrawny. I wear glasses about 30% of the time and live in my contact lenses for the rest, making my eyes relatively sensitive and extreme: sahara dryness one minute, flooding the next.

Now a bit about the Film Noir: a "full spectrum" mascara that claims to lengthen, volumise, curl and define while being water-RESISTANT but not water-PROOF. Suitable for sensitive eyes and contact lens wearers, and infused with vitamin B5 and chamomile/vegetable oils to condition.

I first notice that it adds a bit of length: enough to get my lashes up to my brows. There's a slight increase in volume which looks very natural and definitely work-appropriate but the highlight of coat #1 is the curl. Now, I did say my lashes are naturally curled. Well this curls them even more and holds the curl up, even without the use of a curler. (Please don't count the number of times I say that word.)

On the second coat, I can see a huge difference. Length doesn't change, however my lashes are definitely much thicker and the lashline looks fuller while retaining definition. It's not clumpy at all and doesn't look false or spidery. Third round, still no clumps. And this layer was applied around 5 hours after, which makes this mascara perfect for the work-to-play transition.

The petite brush makes it so easy to get to the roots and wiggle without leaving too much residue on the lid, while the synthetic "pinwheel" bristles help to separate and define and coat each lash individually. The texture of the actual mascara is almost like a gel. Definitely not dry but not so wet that it takes an eternity to set.

At the end of the day there are no smudges, no flakes and there is no resistance when cleansing with bioderma. I also found that less lashes were falling out during removal and with prolonged use, my lashes were growing even longer and fuller than ever before.

I always chuck out mascaras after 6 months of use and found that even with daily wear, the tube had only started to dry out a little bit after the 4th.

Priced at 25 is quite reasonable for something that looks so good, feels so good and does such good things to your lashes. If you're looking for the super-thick-ultimate-false-on-false lash effect, it may take you a bit of time to build up to your desired effect. But if, like me, you're looking for fluttery, flirty lashes that frame your eyes and make them look bigger and brighter, you're in for a treat.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/19/2014 9:39:00 AM More reviews by flairgirl8

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

While I did find this mascara to be flake-free and conditioning, it was too thick and clumpy of a formula for me. It did give me volume, but in a tarantula lash sort of way. I also did not like the mascara wand, finding it to be too basic and cheap in appearance. I like a big daddy of a mascara wand, such as Smashbox full exposure or Pacifica mascara. The mascara lasted all day and was easy to remove.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/13/2014 9:50:00 PM More reviews by VeruskaRai

Hands down a five star mascara. I really lives up to it's name as full spectrum. I get long, lush, thick, separated, blacker and conditioned lashes. A completely flake free and conditioning formula. It almost seems like it's oil based but it was out fine when I wash my face. The best part is the brush, it hugs every lash!

rated 2 of 5 on 8/30/2014 6:25:00 AM More reviews by Fluffytia

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Received a sample size and absolutely LOVED this mascara at first. Gave wonderful stand-out lashes without any drop or smudging. Unfortunately, after 2 weeks (of use about 3 times a week) this mascara had dried out and thickened to the point of being unusabled. SOOO disappointed. Glad I didn't bite the bullet and buy the full size version. Saved myself 25. You have been warned.....

rated 5 of 5 on 7/15/2014 11:34:00 AM More reviews by Prettygal15

I love this mascara! I have gone through so many different mascaras and this has by far been the best. It doesn't give me racoon eyes, it gives good coverage and isn't clumpy. I really enjoy all their products. I have been using this for over a year now and I can't imagine my life without it. It's good to use to layer on and the formula isn't super thick. The lady at the sephora counter turned me onto this and I'm so happy she did.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/19/2014 2:37:00 PM More reviews by OMGURTEEF

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was so excited to try this mascara after reading such positive reviews for it. However, it did nothing to add volume to my thin, sparse, yet long lashes. I was so disappointed!
First off, the consistency is too wet. The brush is lovely, but with such a wet formula, it just cannot deliver the right amount of product to build volume. Pair that with the fact that this mascara is not super black, but rather a dark gray color, and you've got a pretty underwhelming product. It also is not buildable in the slightest. More than two coats yields clumpy, spidery lashes. No bueno.
Price-wise, this was pretty up there. I think I paid $28 for it. Sad.
Packaging is beautiful and with a better formula, I'd bet the brush would make it a knock out of the park.
Too bad. Back to Sephora it went.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/4/2014 10:44:00 AM More reviews by ginaxav

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I like this mascara. It's more expensive than my normal favorite, Smashbox Full Exposure, but it's a good bit cheaper than Younique False Fiber Lashes, which seem to be everywhereeeee. This mascara has a small brush which is a little odd and not the mascara trend these days, but maybe it should be because it's perfect. Two coats and my lashes are are long, fuller, and they are not crunchy, flaky, or clumpy. Full Exposure does get a little crunchy, Benefit THey're Real always clumped for me, and I think we all know how Younique lashes look. Hourglass really has set the bar high. I love their ambient light powders and blushes and now that I've gotten to try this mascara I'll probably start trying more things from their line. I have yet to not like a single product of theirs that I've tried.

2 lippies off for price as described, one off for packaging because it's pretty blah. I'd rather spend money on product than on packaging but I'd still expect something prettier.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/4/2014 3:48:00 PM More reviews by jscott7196

GET READY LADIES, this is a long on lol I've been on the fence about writing this review because I just don't know how I feel about this mascara. I don't love it and I don't hate it either. Which for the price leads me to not repurchasing cuz it just doesn't WOW me. I'm an avid lover of benefits they're real because it really does it all: length, volume & curls. I got this because I'm a mascara junkie and saw it was on special with a few different things on qvc and since I've been wanting to try this brand I figured I should purchase. So the first time I used this I HATED it. The formula is so wet that it's literally a mess to use and makes your lashes stick together like you wouldn't believe. So I threw it aside and went on with my life. Well fast forward a month or so later; I picked this up again just to give it another try. At this point the formula was starting to dry out some so this time when I used it I actually like it. It does make your lashes super black and gives a ton of volume which I love but it really isn't that separating so I do have to go over my lashes with a separating mascara such as covergirls clump crusher which is fabulous for that. So with that being said it's not a horrible mascara but u do have to let it dry out some before it becomes workable. It's definitely a mascara you have to work with to look good which isn't worth it for me for how expensive it is. Alas I will be going back to my HG benefit mascara.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/18/2014 6:21:00 PM More reviews by ceeryan

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

CRAP. I was hoping I wouldn't like this product.

I got this in the Best of Hourglass set because I was running out of my mineral veil primer and also wanted to try the N.28 Primer Serum (really helping my dry skin while on accutane) - they're pricey, but then I saw the set which had both primers plus the Film Noir mascara and a pretty lipgloss. The mascara got great reviews, so I figured it would save money instead of purchasing all the products separetly.
And I say I was hoping I would hate the mascara because it IS expensive.. but dammit, I just love it. I sometimes (foolishly) am quick to think that the bigger the brush, the longer, more voluminous it makes the lashes. Not in this case.. The brush is rather skinny, but the bristles seems to be densely packed -- yet they do the best job of separating lashes I have ever seen!
One coat is amazing and perfect for day time.. you can easily add coats for more intensity either upon first application or later on when transitioning from day to night .. and NO clumping! Thick, but not spidery.
The formula is nice, wet but not too wet, becoming sloppy. I almost always have to go back in with a q-tip to clean up smudges, which is a pain because then sometimes I need to touch up eyeshadow, which falls onto the lashes and makes them less black/intense.. NOT HERE.
I have decent natural lashes, but after curling them and applying this mascara, I looked straight ahead while tilting my head down -- and I swear, my eyelashes almost touched my eyebrows. But they somehow looked completely natural. MAGIC.

It comes of easily with coconut oil. I can't speak for the tube drying up quickly, I've only had it for a week, but I'll update the review should I find myself dissatisfied there. Honestly, I think I'll find cheaper alternatives to other expensive products I use in order to keep buying this. Think I found my HG mascara, unless of course someone finds a drugstore one that works as magnificently as Film Noir Full Spectrum :)

Lonnng review short: WORTH IT.