December 21, 2014 | 1703 users online

Mascara - Hourglass - Film Noir Full Spectrum

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/19/2014 9:39:00 AM More reviews by flairgirl8

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

While I did find this mascara to be flake-free and conditioning, it was too thick and clumpy of a formula for me. It did give me volume, but in a tarantula lash sort of way. I also did not like the mascara wand, finding it to be too basic and cheap in appearance. I like a big daddy of a mascara wand, such as Smashbox full exposure or Pacifica mascara. The mascara lasted all day and was easy to remove.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/13/2014 9:50:00 PM More reviews by VeruskaRai

Hands down a five star mascara. I really lives up to it's name as full spectrum. I get long, lush, thick, separated, blacker and conditioned lashes. A completely flake free and conditioning formula. It almost seems like it's oil based but it was out fine when I wash my face. The best part is the brush, it hugs every lash!

rated 2 of 5 on 8/30/2014 6:25:00 AM More reviews by Fluffytia

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Received a sample size and absolutely LOVED this mascara at first. Gave wonderful stand-out lashes without any drop or smudging. Unfortunately, after 2 weeks (of use about 3 times a week) this mascara had dried out and thickened to the point of being unusabled. SOOO disappointed. Glad I didn't bite the bullet and buy the full size version. Saved myself 25. You have been warned.....

rated 5 of 5 on 7/15/2014 11:34:00 AM More reviews by Prettygal15

I love this mascara! I have gone through so many different mascaras and this has by far been the best. It doesn't give me racoon eyes, it gives good coverage and isn't clumpy. I really enjoy all their products. I have been using this for over a year now and I can't imagine my life without it. It's good to use to layer on and the formula isn't super thick. The lady at the sephora counter turned me onto this and I'm so happy she did.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/19/2014 2:37:00 PM More reviews by OMGURTEEF

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was so excited to try this mascara after reading such positive reviews for it. However, it did nothing to add volume to my thin, sparse, yet long lashes. I was so disappointed!
First off, the consistency is too wet. The brush is lovely, but with such a wet formula, it just cannot deliver the right amount of product to build volume. Pair that with the fact that this mascara is not super black, but rather a dark gray color, and you've got a pretty underwhelming product. It also is not buildable in the slightest. More than two coats yields clumpy, spidery lashes. No bueno.
Price-wise, this was pretty up there. I think I paid $28 for it. Sad.
Packaging is beautiful and with a better formula, I'd bet the brush would make it a knock out of the park.
Too bad. Back to Sephora it went.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/4/2014 10:44:00 AM More reviews by ginaxav

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I like this mascara. It's more expensive than my normal favorite, Smashbox Full Exposure, but it's a good bit cheaper than Younique False Fiber Lashes, which seem to be everywhereeeee. This mascara has a small brush which is a little odd and not the mascara trend these days, but maybe it should be because it's perfect. Two coats and my lashes are are long, fuller, and they are not crunchy, flaky, or clumpy. Full Exposure does get a little crunchy, Benefit THey're Real always clumped for me, and I think we all know how Younique lashes look. Hourglass really has set the bar high. I love their ambient light powders and blushes and now that I've gotten to try this mascara I'll probably start trying more things from their line. I have yet to not like a single product of theirs that I've tried.

2 lippies off for price as described, one off for packaging because it's pretty blah. I'd rather spend money on product than on packaging but I'd still expect something prettier.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/4/2014 3:48:00 PM More reviews by jscott7196

GET READY LADIES, this is a long on lol I've been on the fence about writing this review because I just don't know how I feel about this mascara. I don't love it and I don't hate it either. Which for the price leads me to not repurchasing cuz it just doesn't WOW me. I'm an avid lover of benefits they're real because it really does it all: length, volume & curls. I got this because I'm a mascara junkie and saw it was on special with a few different things on qvc and since I've been wanting to try this brand I figured I should purchase. So the first time I used this I HATED it. The formula is so wet that it's literally a mess to use and makes your lashes stick together like you wouldn't believe. So I threw it aside and went on with my life. Well fast forward a month or so later; I picked this up again just to give it another try. At this point the formula was starting to dry out some so this time when I used it I actually like it. It does make your lashes super black and gives a ton of volume which I love but it really isn't that separating so I do have to go over my lashes with a separating mascara such as covergirls clump crusher which is fabulous for that. So with that being said it's not a horrible mascara but u do have to let it dry out some before it becomes workable. It's definitely a mascara you have to work with to look good which isn't worth it for me for how expensive it is. Alas I will be going back to my HG benefit mascara.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/18/2014 6:21:00 PM More reviews by ceeryan

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

CRAP. I was hoping I wouldn't like this product.

I got this in the Best of Hourglass set because I was running out of my mineral veil primer and also wanted to try the N.28 Primer Serum (really helping my dry skin while on accutane) - they're pricey, but then I saw the set which had both primers plus the Film Noir mascara and a pretty lipgloss. The mascara got great reviews, so I figured it would save money instead of purchasing all the products separetly.
And I say I was hoping I would hate the mascara because it IS expensive.. but dammit, I just love it. I sometimes (foolishly) am quick to think that the bigger the brush, the longer, more voluminous it makes the lashes. Not in this case.. The brush is rather skinny, but the bristles seems to be densely packed -- yet they do the best job of separating lashes I have ever seen!
One coat is amazing and perfect for day time.. you can easily add coats for more intensity either upon first application or later on when transitioning from day to night .. and NO clumping! Thick, but not spidery.
The formula is nice, wet but not too wet, becoming sloppy. I almost always have to go back in with a q-tip to clean up smudges, which is a pain because then sometimes I need to touch up eyeshadow, which falls onto the lashes and makes them less black/intense.. NOT HERE.
I have decent natural lashes, but after curling them and applying this mascara, I looked straight ahead while tilting my head down -- and I swear, my eyelashes almost touched my eyebrows. But they somehow looked completely natural. MAGIC.

It comes of easily with coconut oil. I can't speak for the tube drying up quickly, I've only had it for a week, but I'll update the review should I find myself dissatisfied there. Honestly, I think I'll find cheaper alternatives to other expensive products I use in order to keep buying this. Think I found my HG mascara, unless of course someone finds a drugstore one that works as magnificently as Film Noir Full Spectrum :)

Lonnng review short: WORTH IT.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/21/2014 3:01:00 PM More reviews by xpudding

Age: Unknown Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Love this mascara! I'm a contact lens wearer, and my eyes get irritated very easily. No issues with fallout or eye irritation with this mascara, and I love how long, thick, lifted, and soft it makes your lashes look (no crunchy, spidery, cakey lashes!). I only gave it a 4 rather than a 5 because I do find that it dries out faster than some of my other mascaras.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/14/2013 5:03:00 PM More reviews by StretchyElephant

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Absolutely love this mascara! I like full thick separated lashes, no clumpy spider lashes for me! This mascara gave me exactly that, and it was nice and black. Every lash was intensified, and even when I first opened the tube the formula was never too wet or gooky. I've never had such great results with a mascara. My lashes are dark and long-ish already but really nothing to write home about...this mascara gave me extra-beautiful fluttery lashes that everyone noticed!
I'd love to say that it's my HG but it's far too expensive for me to purchase on the regular, but just know that it's COMPLETELY worth it if you're thinking of splurging. I used this mascara for as long as I possibly could; even when it was finally too dried out I washed and still use the brush. I used the mascara by itself and in tandem with some of my other favorites (Jordana Best Lash Extreme, Clinique High Impact Mascara, Buxom Lash) as well as with mascaras I hated and the results were always beautiful. I agree that drugstore mascaras can of course give you big beautiful lashes, but this blew every mascara I've used out of the water and definitely justified the expense. When I can I WILL repurchase!