Hourglass Film Noir Full Spectrum

4.1

on 7/30/2015 7:22:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

The best mascara I've ever used. I have tried just about all the drugstore brands over the years, and have been stuck on Lancome for quite sometime now. Received this as a sample in an order from Nordstrom and fell in love the moment I put it on.
The brush is perfect. Slightly concave in the middle. The formula is smooth, virtually no clumping whatsoever, no sticking, it's perfect.
In my opinion it does not seem to be a thickening mascara, but it added tons of length which is typically what I look for in a mascara anyway.
I will absolutely purchase this when the sample runs out.

on 6/5/2015 3:04:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I had a deluxe sample of this mascara, and the first few times I used it, I was in love. I kept looking at my lashes, they were beautiful! Long, curled, not clumpy, just perfect. I thought I had found the perfect mascara. Then another time I used it, too much product came out on the brush and I was unable to get it back in the tube, so I tried to make the best of it by trying to space it out between my two sets of eyelashes as best I could. It was horrible, super clumpy and goopy. So I thought it was me or my application technique or something. I didn't want to throw it out because I had such great results at first, so I decided to give it another go.

The super goop happened again, and I had to stick the wand back into the tube and the excess product came overflowing out of the top, so I had to get a tissue to clean it away, it was very messy and disappointing because I didn't want to waste any product. So that was the second time. I still didn't want to give up on it, so I tried it again tonight, and same thing, tons of excess product on the wand and couldn't get it back into the tube, and instead of tissuing off the excess from the top of the outside of the tube, into the trash it went. Darn.

So when it worked it worked really well, and when it didn't, it was horrible. I won't try it again, sadly. Now I'm going to try Lancôme Grandiose.

Also, if you do want to take a chance and buy this mascara, do not buy it on Amazon where it retails for $41.99. You can buy it from Sephora for $28 for the same size product.

Good luck, and thank you for reading my review. I hope it was helpful.

on 4/19/2015 1:58:00 AM

This is the best mascara I've used yet (I've tried a reasonable amount but not heaps!). On my lashes its adds length, some volume, some separation and it also lifts my dead straight lashes which no mascara has achieved yet. My lashes are terrible at holding a curl but this mascara does okay, better if I concentrate the product more on the ends of the lashes. It looks grey in the tube but dries to a true black and it also doesn't smudge on me (unless I have a very rich eye cream underneath).

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This is my go-to mascara.
Cons:
- Does tend to flake/smudge after +8 hours of wear. That being said, I have yet to find a mascara beyond a tubing or waterproof mascara that doesn't have the same problem, so I'm not knocking a star off. I think anything more than 8 hours is impressive.
- Doesn't come in waterproof or brown. Again, not something worth knocking stars for.

Pros:
- The wand. the hourglass shape is PERFECT for applying even coats. I get volume, length, and some curling action. The fact that I get a fair amount of all three elements in one mascara is pretty amazing. One coat is natural, two is glam. That skinny little wand makes more magic than Harry Potter.
- Doesn't give spidey-eyes.
- wand is thin enough to use on lower lash line without any crazy mishaps.
- Formula is rich, pigmented, and dries quickly.
- Doesn't irritate my contact-lens-wearing eyes.
- Washes off easily, doesn't dry like cement on lashes.

on 1/27/2015 3:10:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

I'm one of the rare ones that did not like this mascara. It's so disappointing because Hourglass has some really nice products, but I disliked the mascara so much that I made a point to write a review for it. However, after reading all the rave reviews here I think you need to have long, full lashes to really appreciate this mascara. I have short, stubby, stick straight lashes that need a drier formula so that's why this product didn't work for me. I found it to be very thick and wet, clumped up my lashes and weighed down my barely there curl. I don't know if it's waterproof, but I wouldn't recommend it to those with oily lids because the wet formula will most likely give you raccoon eyes.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

"Your eyes are so pretty! You look like a Disney Princess."

LET ME TELL YOU THERE IS NO GREATER COMPLIMENT FOR A 90'S BABY.

First, a description of my lashes: naturally curled and pretty darn long but not as dense as I would like and thin to the point I would call them scrawny. I wear glasses about 30% of the time and live in my contact lenses for the rest, making my eyes relatively sensitive and extreme: sahara dryness one minute, flooding the next.

Now a bit about the Film Noir: a "full spectrum" mascara that claims to lengthen, volumise, curl and define while being water-RESISTANT but not water-PROOF. Suitable for sensitive eyes and contact lens wearers, and infused with vitamin B5 and chamomile/vegetable oils to condition.

I first notice that it adds a bit of length: enough to get my lashes up to my brows. There's a slight increase in volume which looks very natural and definitely work-appropriate but the highlight of coat #1 is the curl. Now, I did say my lashes are naturally curled. Well this curls them even more and holds the curl up, even without the use of a curler. (Please don't count the number of times I say that word.)

On the second coat, I can see a huge difference. Length doesn't change, however my lashes are definitely much thicker and the lashline looks fuller while retaining definition. It's not clumpy at all and doesn't look false or spidery. Third round, still no clumps. And this layer was applied around 5 hours after, which makes this mascara perfect for the work-to-play transition.

The petite brush makes it so easy to get to the roots and wiggle without leaving too much residue on the lid, while the synthetic "pinwheel" bristles help to separate and define and coat each lash individually. The texture of the actual mascara is almost like a gel. Definitely not dry but not so wet that it takes an eternity to set.

At the end of the day there are no smudges, no flakes and there is no resistance when cleansing with bioderma. I also found that less lashes were falling out during removal and with prolonged use, my lashes were growing even longer and fuller than ever before.

I always chuck out mascaras after 6 months of use and found that even with daily wear, the tube had only started to dry out a little bit after the 4th.

Priced at £25 is quite reasonable for something that looks so good, feels so good and does such good things to your lashes. If you're looking for the super-thick-ultimate-false-on-false lash effect, it may take you a bit of time to build up to your desired effect. But if, like me, you're looking for fluttery, flirty lashes that frame your eyes and make them look bigger and brighter, you're in for a treat.

on 11/19/2014 9:39:00 AM

While I did find this mascara to be flake-free and conditioning, it was too thick and clumpy of a formula for me. It did give me volume, but in a tarantula lash sort of way. I also did not like the mascara wand, finding it to be too basic and cheap in appearance. I like a big daddy of a mascara wand, such as Smashbox full exposure or Pacifica mascara. The mascara lasted all day and was easy to remove.

on 11/13/2014 9:50:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hands down a five star mascara. I really lives up to it's name as full spectrum. I get long, lush, thick, separated, blacker and conditioned lashes. A completely flake free and conditioning formula. It almost seems like it's oil based but it was out fine when I wash my face. The best part is the brush, it hugs every lash!

on 8/30/2014 6:25:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Received a sample size and absolutely LOVED this mascara at first. Gave wonderful stand-out lashes without any drop or smudging. Unfortunately, after 2 weeks (of use about 3 times a week) this mascara had dried out and thickened to the point of being unusabled. SOOO disappointed. Glad I didn't bite the bullet and buy the full size version. Saved myself £25. You have been warned.....

on 7/15/2014 11:34:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I love this mascara! I have gone through so many different mascaras and this has by far been the best. It doesn't give me racoon eyes, it gives good coverage and isn't clumpy. I really enjoy all their products. I have been using this for over a year now and I can't imagine my life without it. It's good to use to layer on and the formula isn't super thick. The lady at the sephora counter turned me onto this and I'm so happy she did.