November 26, 2014 | 1255 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - E.L.F. - Studio Makeup Mist & Set Spray

rated 5 of 5 on 11/22/2014 9:22:00 PM More reviews by esotericsquirrel

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

It keeps things in place which is important. This is the first time I tried a setting spray. It's better than the powders. I could even reapply moisturizer or sunscreen without disturbing the underlying makeup - including rouge, concealer, foundation and eyeshadow. A lot of times, using a silicone primer causes these items to slide off more quickly but this is not the case with the spray.

Moreover, it transforms non-waterproof mascara (specifically, Nicka K Extreme Volume) into waterproofoid and prevents panda eyes. It has no smell, and doesn't feel sticky, but I'd be surprised if it didn't contain a hairspray-like polymer.

The first time I tried it, I used a heavy hand. But after a few days of using it, I found that even a spritz or two - so long as the entire face is within the spray area - works. I wouldn't trust this to keep my makeup on while swimming but under normal conditions it's a good idea to use.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/14/2014 6:41:00 PM More reviews by letsburnbridges

PROS: Each pump of spray releases a decent amount of spray - not too much or too little. The scent is very fresh, which is always pleasant. The spray is not sticky at all, and doesn't make me oily or break out. This spray retails for $6 at my local Target, which is super affordable, especially compared to other setting sprays on the market. Even though the bottle appears on the smaller side, it definitely lasts you a while. Lastly, I do find that it holds my makeup better than when I haven't set my makeup with the spray.

CONS: If my mascara isn't completely dried by the time I spray my face, my mascara transfers under my eyes.

FINAL THOUGHTS: The product is very user-friendly both in functionality and accessibility. Just a small disclaimer: My makeup typically doesn't move around a lot to begin with, but I can still see the difference when I use the spray and when I don't.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/28/2014 9:03:00 AM More reviews by HollyWould123

Firstly, I feel that half the battle with setting sprays is the packaging/bottle/spray pump. You can have liquid gold in the bottle and if the pump isn't good, the product is basically useless. E.L.F. has their spray on point; the distribution of product is a perfect, fine mist. In fact, I have saved the empty bottle in case I purchase a spray that has a crappy bottle.
Secondly, I have only been using a setting spray on and off for about a year. I find the multiple uses confusing and feel like I'm not using them properly. Generally, I use them to set my face makeup or when I am completely done and want to get rid of whatever excess powder is on my face. I know many people use them as toners, prep, etc. Because I have oily skin to begin with, I am often afraid I'll end up with a dewy look only to find it looking like a greasy mess less than an hour later. But that's my battle and not the product's fault, obviously.
I did feel this helped evening out/setting my makeup and refreshing later on. It didn't irritate my skin and the scent is a barely noticeable fresh scent. Definitely a repurchase for me!
Considering this bottle is only $3, there's no way you could go wrong. If you hate it that much, you could always just use it as a makeshift Fix+!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/19/2014 5:27:00 PM More reviews by Ashleyjune10

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This will have a permanent spot in my makeup bag! First off I have night mareish oily skin. I watch a makeup tutorial where the girl sprayed this on before she used her primer. It very much helped with the absorption of oil. You let it dry completely and then proceed with your normal face routine. afterwards, spray it and set your makeup. love this. thanks ELF

rated 4 of 5 on 10/12/2014 8:44:00 PM More reviews by elitegymnasticsxo

I love this spray! I used the UD spray before I switched to this. Honestly, this is the same. It keeps my makeup in place. The reason I bought this is because, I don't like using powder. It gives my face makeup the powdery look and this gets rid of it. That is all for this review basically. It keeps my makeup in place, and it takes away the powdery look.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/4/2014 10:35:00 AM More reviews by mkeddie

I have a fairly oily tzone and this didn't do much for me. Still had to blot my face a couple of hours later. Also after using this for a couple of days I got zits where I never get them, top of my cheeks and under my eye. Stopped using this and no more zits!!!

rated 3 of 5 on 9/26/2014 8:47:00 AM More reviews by acatcalledbellatrix

This is one of the only facial sprays I've tried as I wear false lashes and have found spraying things on my face during the day only weakens the lash glue and they start to come off. In Australia this is AUD$8 a bottle and I've found that for the price you can get a lot better sprays around. It doesn't really do much except feel nice and refreshing on the face. I haven't found it to keep my makeup on longer but it does take the cakiness away.

I have found that using this too often did cause my skin to break out in a rash so I'm not sure if there is a irritant in the ingredients.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/25/2014 2:39:00 PM More reviews by theginger11

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This must have been reformulated because the old kind smelled horrible. Like I was misting myself with toxic waste. Now I love this stuff. In the morning after I moisturize I spritz a bit of this on my face and it sucks up the oil without drying me out. Then I apply my makeup and do an additional spritz on top. I only have to blot my T zone in an eight hour work day. For $3 this stuff works amazing!

rated 3 of 5 on 9/25/2014 9:03:00 AM More reviews by Lorreid

$3 is still $3... I was shocked that this setting spray did an okaaay job for the price. I'm rather oily and I do see a difference when I use this, honestly anyone would - the consistency is sticky as it should be for normal 'dewy' , slightly natural finishes.

For all you heavy foundation users, this spray is far from 'matte' ...
It will help neutralize a powdery finish; however DO NOT SPRAY DIRECTLY TO FACE. As recommended, spray a few sprits and push your face into the mist.

Do allow a good 5 minutes for this to settle. Not effective for touch ups during the day.
** I am dark, medium with yellow undertones - a co worker of mine uses this and is combo/dry, porcelain with neautral undertones, we get the same effect of this spray.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/31/2014 7:49:00 PM More reviews by akmcarpenoctem

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

DO NOT spray this directly at your face. I don't know why someone would. Spray it in the air and walk into it with your face.

When I got this in the mail, it had leaked a little bit and the bottle was all sticky. Despite that (eww why would I want to put something sticky on my FACE?), when I actually used this for the first time, it did not make my skin feel sticky at all. It felt refreshing and did take away some of that powdery finish.

However, I don't feel like it improves the longevity of my makeup at all. Honestly, I don't even really notice a difference in my makeup between the days I choose to use it and the days I don't.

Overall, I like it, but it's certainly not a rave product. It's okay, it's cheap, and it doesn't irritate skin at all.