August 27, 2014 | 914 users online

Blush - MAC - Hark the Heraldry Face Kit (A Tartan Tale)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2010 9:22:00 PM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I had a gift certificate from my birthday and my friend wrote that I was only to spend it on MAC (she and I are both "afficionadoes"). So I figured it was time to use this as my birthday was last month!

I had been thinking for some time about getting Dame blush as I talked another friend into getting it and she loved it. I figured I'd get it when/if I ever finished up my Desert Rose blush (I hit pan on it ages back but it is still going strong). But now I had this gift cert. to use up and was thinking about maybe getting Pink Swoon or Dame but then the new MAC Tartan Tales came out with this palette of 3 blushes, one of which I was already thinking of getting and I figured I'd at least check it out. I decided to buy Hark the Heraldry since it's LE and I can get Pink Swoon just about any time. While Dame seemed a bit light and powdery in the store, I figure I can "work with it" to make it work better. Plum Foolery is a lovely colour for fall and winter - a nice flush of colour that looks like I've been out walking in the snow. And this is my first Beauty Powder. I'm looking forward to using it a lot. Three very good blushes in one set seems like excellent value for the price. And while the packaging is just a bit boxy, it is actually quite clever and the 3 pans of blush are held together neatly and there is a pretty good mirror in the case as well, which is a great touch.

Update: I don't know if the blush formulations in this LE are different from the permanent line products, but I'm having a devil of a time getting ANY of the Dame blush to show up on my brush, let alone on my cheeks. I've always liked DAME when I've tried it (regular compact) in the store and even got my best friend to buy it. But with this one, I can't even rub any colour off with my finger - when I went to swatch it, NOTHING came off. I finally took my Pur Minerals Chisel Brush - quite dense and stiff and almost scratchy - to scratch up the surface of the thing so it would release some colour! This seems to have worked though I actually have to use the Pur Minerals brush to transfer the colour to my cheeks. I know this isn't the case with the regular Dame blush. It was quite disappointing but at least now, I've got it to work!

Another update: Well, at least Dame is working for me now (after basically "sanding" the surface to get some colour to come off) and it looks very pretty but I've notice that the small, rectangular shape of the 2 blushes in the top of the compact (Dame and Plum Foolery) makes it hard to get your blush brush into just the one pan. Not the end of the world but I do have to use a fairly small brush and can't really swirl and move it around to pick up just the one blush. I've changed my "yes" to a "no" in answer to "Would you buy this product again?"

rated 5 of 5 on 11/14/2010 11:23:00 PM More reviews by breakupovertea

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This face kit is great. All the colors are very wearable on very fair skin and buildable for darker skin tones. I was afraid that Plum Foolery (the darkest shade) would be a bit much for my NW15 skin, but it's very flattering and more sheer than I expected. Oh So Fair is my favorite shade in this palette. It gives me a very light natural flush. All three powders are good quality, soft, and pigmented. I cannot comment on how these blushes compare to other MAC blushes because this is my first MAC blush purchase, but based on the quality of these I will definitely be purchasing more MAC blushes in the future. I anticipate that I will get a lot of use out of this compact. I really like all three shades. I think the packaging is very cute. However, the compact itself is kind of hard to open. I would definitely recommend this if you have fair skin or are cool toned. All three shades are suitable to everyday wear.