October 1, 2014 | 1388 users online

Treatments (Face) - ASAP Clearskin Gel

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/11/2014 10:13:00 PM More reviews by izzybella

I've been trying a slew of skin resurfacing serums lately, and this is one of them. It makes my skin softer, smoother, and glowier, but I haven't noticed any lightening of my dark spots. I don't find it to be too harsh on my skin, but I wouldn't use it every night to avoid drying out my skin. Used every other night however is no problem. I wouldn't repurchase this though, because I have a couple other skin serums that achieve the same results.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/12/2013 6:59:00 AM More reviews by TB1234

I was given the cold sell on this product with a microderm at Essential Beauty. I was very excited to use this proyduct as I'd had quite a nasty hormonal breakout. It did work the first night and dried the offenders out - but I found that it also broke me out. It may have been too strong, or perhaps my acne was too strong at that point in time - however- the one thing I think that works the best (I don't know why there is no tab to write a review on the product which is why I signed up at MUA) is the Skin Doctors Gamma Hydroxy. It makes the texture of your skin SO much smoother, and I really think it is helping clear my acne. It does feel a little greasy on your skin the first couple of days, but stick with it, as it's just your skin adjusting. MUA. Please please make a spot for this product to be reviewed!
As far as the clear skin gel is concerned, its great to use in conjunction with the Gamma Hydroxy.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/4/2013 6:33:00 PM More reviews by Meleh

I've just bought my second tube of Clearskin Gel, I love it! It has made a HUGE difference to my skin. Since using this product my hormonal acne has gotten so much better, and the breakouts I do still get seem to heal/disappear a lot faster. It's gradually fading my acne scars, and I've noticed my skin is a lot smoother and less congested. I use this twice daily, morning I apply then leave it to dry before applying oil free moisturizer and makeup. At night I apply it before bed. I don't experience any irritation from it. Would definitely recommend this product to anyone suffering from acne/congested skin/scarring etc.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/17/2012 7:20:00 PM More reviews by reverendgreen

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

I've been using this for a few years now. I use it somewhat sporadically but there's no doubt when I use it regularly that my skin is in better condition. Over the last few weeks, I've been using it nightly and my skin is less congested, more even toned and is slowly clearing up from a severe breakout.

Essentially this is an AHA/BHA gel designed to lift sebum from the skin and to exfoliate. Given the nature of glycolic, lactic and salicylic acids, it can sometimes sting when you apply it and overusing it can irritate the skin. However, used properly it will give you smooth skin, remove blackheads, treat pimples, fade hyperpigmentation, and generally improve the tone and texture of your skin. I've noticed that it seems to speed up the life-cycle of my pimples. Usually my blemishes take forever to reach a head then heal but when I use this, they heal a lot faster. It also helps my post-acne marks fade much quicker.

As I mentioned, Clearskin Gel (like any product with this percentage of AHAs and BHAs) can be irritating. When I first started using it my skin dried out and was flaky. I was told to expect this though and after a week or two the dryness disappeared and my skin started to look great. Back then I was only using it once every two or three nights; I now try to use it every night and it doesn't dry my skin out. In fact it helps get rid of dry patches. It can still sting and make my skin itchy but it calms down quickly and that problem can be solved entirely by layering a soothing gel on top. I also take a break after using it a few nights in a row, otherwise I'll have over-exfoliated my skin and it can become red and sore in a few spots. So a warning to people with sensitive skin: be careful with how you use this product. Use it sparingly and give your skin time to adjust.

I wouldn't call Clearskin Gel an overnight miracle product. You do notice quick results after going through an initial week of adjustment, however after that the visible improvements are more gradual. The best gradual effects are on post-acne hyperpigmentation and blackheads. You won't notice them disappearing overnight but give it one or two months and you'll realise how much your marks have faded and how small, clear and blackhead-free your pores are. I still get pimples after having gone through quite a few bottles of Clearskin Gel but the overall condition of my skin has improved enormously. I've gone from someone with severely congested skin and hormonal acne, to someone whose acne is only mild and who otherwise has fairly clear, smooth skin. I wouldn't be without this in my bathroom drawer.

NOTE: I contacted the company to find out the percentage of glycolic and salicylic acids present in the product. 15.5% glycolic complex and 2% salicylic. The rest of the ingredients are reassuringly simple; other than the AHAs and BHAs, it's just water, green tea and bilberry extracts, and a thickening agent.

UPDATE: As of 2014, Clearskin Gel is now marketed under the name 'Clearskin Body Gel'. It's the same product, same ingredients, same percentage of actives, just under a different name and marketed for a different use. I've been using this product for almost five years and haven't noticed any change in its performance. Even after all these years, it still gives me clearer, smoother and brighter skin. Maybe ASAP was getting feedback that it was too strong for the face so they've decided to market it for the body? Not sure, but I still use this on my face and it's great.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 12/30/2011 5:12:00 AM More reviews by rigantona

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have recently had a terrible flare up of hormonal acne and had heard great things about the ASAP Clearskin Gel here and on other forums.

Whilst i think this product does work well for generally exfoliating and drying out acne, i think that for some skin, like mine, it is way too harsh. I went from simple hormonal outbreak to additional dry, scaly patches and my skin was a wierd combination of woefully dehydrated and overly oily.

I did try to vary my application, i.e. every day, then every second day then 3 times per week, then once per week, but nothing helped alleviate the irritation.

So, in a nutshell, i definitely think this product does exactly what it claims to do, however, those with sensitive skin should use with extreme caution and re-hydrate appopriately.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/14/2011 1:29:00 AM More reviews by staceybrennan

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've been using this product for 6 months on a daily basis concentrating on the congestion on my skin. About once a week or so I will go to sleep with it slathered across my entire face. I've noticed a significant difference - I barely have any skin problems now. I highly recommend this product!

rated 3 of 5 on 11/29/2010 9:40:00 AM More reviews by Inca78

I used this product a while ago, and while I am an advocate for the ASAP range (cleanser, exfoliator, serum and moisturiser are AMAZING) I am kind of indifferent about this gel. I didnt notice a major improvement, but I didnt notice anything worsening. I also probably didnt use it as it was supposed to be, as I onyl used it once every week or so.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2010 6:07:00 PM More reviews by Shamisen

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I've been using this on my chin for a few weeks now.
I think that initially it made my congestion improve. I'm not so sure if it's continuing to improve or not though. It's not getting worse at least.

EDIT I started using this again lately and I do think my skin is doing better than it used to. I'm just applying it on my chin where I get congestion and my congestion does seem to be improving.