October 20, 2014 | 964 users online

Fragrances - LUSH - Gorilla Perfume - The Smell of Freedom

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2012 11:02:00 PM More reviews by GlamDiva

The Smell of Freedom gives me an impression of neroli, jasmine, iris, subtle spices, with light woods in the background. I'm reminded of India. Beautifully blended composition, though I prefer the rollup to the juice in this fragrance. The solid rollups are a great way to try the Gorilla fragrance line, and I like some of them better than the sprays. They must be worn to be adequately appreciated, and Smell of Freedom is a great example of this. Aficionados of vintage fragrances will recognize the quality of ingredients. For young perfumistas mostly familiar with today's mainstream fragrances are in for an epiphany when they get a whiff of the quality in the Lush Gorilla line. IMO the Lush Gorilla fragrances are among the very best available today, beautifully done, niche quality. Head and shoulders above the mainstream, and better than many other niche fragrances.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/21/2012 10:14:00 PM More reviews by MissJenn909

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

(This review is about the SOLID version of this perfume).
The Smell Of Freedom is a very interesting Lush perfume. In the tube, it smells quite citrussy with a spicy/woody undertone. On my skin, however, the perfume's jasmine notes come out quite strongly along with the sandalwood scent. It is quite a warm, unisex fragrance. It is a nice smell, but not one of my favourites and while I will finish this tube, I will not repurchase.
-EDIT-
The smell of this really did not work for me, even after trying to like it. I have put it in the bathroom as a room air-freshener type of thing. Sorry Lush, not one of your best.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/5/2012 3:18:00 PM More reviews by moorkitty

This is an intriguing predominantly lemon grass/verbena with a hint of iris, which dries down to a gentle spicy sandalwood. You can barely smell the neroli in there, it sort of gets drowned by the leather. This is one of the best of the Gorilla perfumes, made with quaity ingredients, unfortunately it doesn't last long enough and it is a little too unisex for my taste, although it is well done. If you are looking for an interesting scent, this is certainly worth a try.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2011 3:58:00 PM More reviews by hollyms

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Well, this is one of my least favorite Lush perfumes. It is right up there with Breath of God when it comes to masculinity, and even though I usually adore masculine scents, this really isn't something I want to smell on myself. Upon application, it was pretty offensive (as all Lush scents are at first until they settle down), but after a while it cooled down into a note that smelled strictly of cloves and soap. Eh. Only two hours later, and I could barely still smell it on my skin. If I dug my nose into my forearm I could still detect some of the soapy smell... all it smelled like was my skin was very fresh, like just out the shower. There's no way anyone else would be able to smell this one me. Will not be wearing again - I'm sure it smells lovely on someone else's chemistry.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/6/2011 4:12:00 PM More reviews by felgoj

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Notes: Lemongrass, lemon myrtle, neroli, jasmine, ginger, fire tree, clove, black pepper, sandalwood, oudh, orris.

The Smell Of Freedom is stranger than fiction. I was told by 2 Lush SA's that The Smell Of Freedom smells differently on everyone & that it doesn't smell good on most ppl (lol, what a funny admission to make to a customer!). They said everyone's different body chemistry brings out & emphasizes some different aspect of the scent's notes, & truth be told it is chock full of a mosh-posh of scent notes, so individual results can be quite a toss-up.

But all they had to say to me is that on some ppl it smells spicy & I was interested in testing it - my body chemistry likes spicy/peppery scents. I liked how it developed on my skin, though I seriously cannot describe this scent at all - there's nothing in particular that I can put my finger on, not even any distinct pepperiness - it's an interesting blend of notes that develop in layers & mingle beautifully, so I bought the mini size spray to give it a test run. I believe they said the little spray I bought (1/3 oz) is EDT & the bigger 1oz spray is a stronger EDP. Where scents are concerned, I need to start small & resisted the sales push. If I fall in love w/this scent I can always buy bigger next time.

I know that scents can be hard to describe but this 1 completely stumps me & that's why I call it stranger than fiction. I think that's what Lush/Gorilla Perfume should have named it instead! I categorize it as sultry, rich but not overbearing, very complex but pleasing, & mature but not old-lady musty, & absolutely unisex - it's a little bit masculine, reminiscent of a little leather maybe? Not too woodsy, not overly musky, & just very well-balanced. It kind of smells primal, but not animal. IDK - like they said, everybody's going to get a different reaction. Try it out w/an open mind & a discerning nose & give it a chance. Allow it develop over several hrs, even if you don't immediately like it, b/c it will change over time - then decide.

I rate this 4 b/c I haven't been wearing it long & haven't fallen in love w/the smell. I need to become more familiar w/it to determine if it'll grow on me further or if I'll tire of it quickly. It's not an instant 'love' scent for me. But I am really impressed by it, to be truthful, & I like the uniqueness of it. I'm very into sweet florals of late (Marc Jacobs Lola & Daisy, Coty Exclamation), so I need more time to connect w/this scent. It's definitely worth trying.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/17/2011 4:24:00 PM More reviews by slok87

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This opens with bright but unobtrusive lemongrass; it is really, really nice and continues on this way until it settles into a subtle, slightly sweet, woody-lemony-herbal fragrance. This hugs close to the skin. I kept needing to sniff my wrist because this is a very addictive and lovely smelling fragrance, but it's not very strong and quickly fades into a very hard to notice scent. This is an absolutely lovely fragrance and I fully support anyone who wants to wear it, but the length of time I personally end up enjoying this clocks in at under 30 minutes, so my interest in wearing this is killed. I've only tried the liquid perfume, though, and is what Ive reviewed here, not the solid.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/3/2011 11:21:00 AM More reviews by zeynepd

This is a nicely priced and pleasant fragrance, especially when I compare it to more expensive colognes I have tried recently - Kurkdijanís Acqua Universalis which is just any cologne with good lasting power and a hefty price tag and Cologne pour le matin i.e. horrendous thyme oil. In comparison to these, Lush is a light, refreshing, relaxing scent with a prominent lemongrass note. I love lemongrass, so I like this a lot. It opens up a bit like gin, reveals some saltiness that is a bit like tequila but achieves a sparkly, easy to wear lemongrass in the end. The drydown is sweeter and spicier but still energetic. My FB candidate in this category is Penghalionís Eau de Verveine, but I can see myself buying one of those chic 9 ml sprays. Good job, Lush. 3.5

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/5/2010 9:36:00 PM More reviews by atomic_girl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

The Smell of Freedom starts off with citrus, floral notes, and herbs, and dries down to light woods. Gorgeous, and unlike many of Lush's fragrances, not too obtrusive. I love the fact that these are available in solids and small sizes - the 9 mL size comes in a nicely practical little metal tube. Notes: lemongrass, lemon myrtle, neroli, jasmine, ginger, fire tree, clove, black pepper, sandalwood, oudh and orris.