July 25, 2014 | 1754 users online

Hair Color - Mehandi.com -- Ancient Sunrise Celebration Henna

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2012 9:56:00 PM More reviews by tito_barf

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I'm going to comment on this henna as a comparison to other henna products, as you can find excellent info about using it and its results elsewhere.

I use the Medium Brunette mix of henna and indigo. It is an excellent, high quality henna! Well-packaged, with good gloves and even an application bag. I've previously used boxes from health food stores, and while they did give me okay results, they were also clearly less fresh and effective than the henna from Mehandi. They were chunkier, smelled far worse, and the indigo in the mix (pre-blended) didn't have much of an effect.

Mehandi's henna is very finely milled, and you blend the ingredients (VERY easy to do) as you need them, as indigo needs a different activation time than pure henna.

Yes, it's rather expensive and shipping isn't cheap, but it's worth it! Also, I'm able to split a full box into 2 treatments, as my hair is only chin length.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/25/2011 9:09:00 AM More reviews by hiddencat2

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I used to henna my hair in high school and loved the coppery red. After a few years of doing wild things with my hair, I let it grow out undyed. Liked the natural color I hadn't seen in years (sort of a coppery brown) and then about two months ago decided to try henna again. I read up on the importance of using body art quality henna, and ended up buying 500g of Sudina henna Ancient Sunrise from mehandi.com.

I have to say, I LOVE the color from it! It starts out very coppery but then oxidizes after a few days to a rich auburn on me. I get tons of compliments from friends and strangers alike on the color and it doesn't fade.

My first batch I mixed with 200g, lemon juice, orange juice, vinegar and water (just what I happened to have around. Let it sit overnight, applied in sections from back to front, wrapped in saran wrap and left on for 4 hours. I have just past shoulder length hair and had a lot left over so froze it to use again. My first batch was too thick and pasty, so yesterday when I redid the henna I added water to make it more yogurty in consistency. First time using it I rinsed (and rinsed and rinsed and rinsed) in the shower, and yesterday I filled the tub and lay down to swish my hair around and it came out much more quickly (with less splatter on my shower curtain). And my hair feels so soft while rinsing the henna out!

I use a wooden spoon as a spatula to apply with a tongue depressor to get the hair around my hairline (I'd missed a few spots at my temples the first time around), and disposable gloves. I still got a bit or staining around my hairline, but much less the second time around and ime it does fade in a couple of days. I focused on getting most of the henna on my roots for the second go but did apply it through the length because it's just easier than roots only for me. Second time around I used a plastic cap over the henna then topped that with saranwrap- easier to cover all my hair along the hairline to keep the henna moist that way.

I don't think I'll ever use anything else on my hair color-wise. Because it's a stain, your highlights stay lighter and brighter naturally so it's not a flat color at all. Did I mention the compliments I get on the color? It's been about 2 months since I first colored it and folks at work still talk about how much they love the color. It's definitely a Project to do but well worth it.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/9/2011 10:30:00 PM More reviews by saffronia

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have been using various hennas from Mehandi.com for the last three years. I have been completely blown away by the results I've gotten every time. Celebration has been what I've used lately. I had mousey, ashy brown hair with a bit (a very small bit) of auburn and newly sprouting white. I had been getting it professionally colored a gorgeous reddish-copper color for a few years as the ashiness was not looking so good on me. The salon results were beautiful, but each time I would get it colored I would feel burning on my scalp and would often get some scabbing a day or so after. My hair was also getting drier and harder to condition. My hairdresser (who is also my good friend) was concerned and said I should look into henna as "the good stuff professional henna tattoos are done with" could give me a similar result color-wise. I did some research and decided to go with Mehandi.com's henna. The website is full of invaluable information, a fantastic forum, and an easy-to-use online shop. The henna available is VERY affordable; one box will do four root jobs for me. I love being able to do my roots on my own time for little money (roots are all I've needed to color for the last two years--it is that permanent on my hair). My hairdresser is extremely pleased with my results and with the wonderful condition of my hair--thicker, shinier, and so very smooth . She is looking into offering henna colorings at her salon for anyone wanting a natural red/auburn hair color. I must say, never have I been stopped on the street and told I have beautiful hair...until I started using henna. This is it for me.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/1/2010 9:38:00 AM More reviews by OmToast

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I almost don't want to write this review, as I don't want too many people to see it, try the stuff, fall in love and keep buying it. I want it all for me!

I jest. Sort of.

I've been henna'ing my hair for about 8-9 months this go-round, using the Yemeni henna available from Mehandi.com. For my most recent order, however, I did not see my usual stuff and instead purchased the Ancient Sunrise Celebration, because it was listed as having the highest Lawsone (dye) content of the hennas available on their site and I am about 45% dye-resistant grey, at this point. The Yemeni henna I had been using (and with which I was very happy) turned my greys a medium copper color, and the rest of my dark brown hair a dark auburn, with very coppery highlights. It was a pretty combination, especially for summer and with a bit of a tan, however I'm quite pale in the winter, with very rosey cheeks, and a cooler red/auburn looks best on me in this situation. This stuff is PERFECT. I mean, it's henna Zen. Mere hours after rinsing (and therefore just beginning to oxidize) my greys were already a mid-tone garnet, and the rest of my hair stayed at about the same color level of auburn, but with more garnet highlights/luminosity instead of the previous copper. It is *so* gorgeous. The super-added bonus is that this was, hands down, the CREAMIEST, finest-sift henna I've ever seen. As a result, rinsing was a breeze. It took about 1/2 the time to rinse, and left no (zero, nada, zilch) mess behind in the shower. I was shocked -- and obviously very pleased.

My preparation/application technique has always been essentially the same: 100g henna for full-head application on my shoulder-length, thick, coarse, wavy/curly hair, mixed with approximately 1C red wine vinegar (until henna reaches thick/stiff paste consistency). Cover with plastic wrap and let sit for dye release. With the previous henna, I got good dye release in about 14 hours; with the Ancient Sunrise Celebration I was good to go after about 10 hours, despite slightly cooler ambient temperatures, so dye release with this definitely seems faster and considerably stronger than with the Yemeni henna. Once I got good dye release, I mixed with warm water to a super-creamy yogurt consistency, then added about 2TB olive oil. I applied thickly to roots/closest 3 inches to my scalp, then squished remainder through the length of my hair, leaving the last inch or two bare. Wrap with plastic wrap, cap with a plastic bag (excess knotted with a hair elastic), secure perimeter with paper towels or cotton wool to prevent leaks, top all *that* with a spandex skull cap and . . . go to bed. It stayed on for about 8.5 hours, during which time all the henna sort of squishes down to the bare ends, which is why I never bother henna'ing them beforehand. This method is also very forgiving of uneven application: if you missed spots, it all squishes together with the heat of your body and the excessive timeframe, and looks perfectly even in the end. It also prevents you from losing vast swaths of daylight to henna application, although I freely admit it's never my best night's sleep. In the morning, I rinse it out with the assistance of some cheap condish (V05 kiwi clarifying works great, and is a complementary scent) and then spend the next 2-3 days keeping it dry and applying coconut oil intermittently. The addition of the olive oil to the henna *really* helps cut down on post-henna dryness, though, to which I'm quite prone.

In all, I will absolutely continue purchasing this batch henna until they run out. It is the best consistency, dye release, and color I've ever seen in a henna. And at just shy of $10/100g, it's also fabulously inexpensive. I buy 500g at a time (5 x 100g sacks) and it lasts me the majority of a year, since it *does not fade* I only do a full head application about every 3rd month or so, to boost shine and reduce frizz. Interim root touchups only take 50g.

18 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No