April 17, 2014 | 1414 users online

Powder - Avon - Smooth minerals pressed foundation

rated 2 of 5 on 1/25/2014 1:13:00 AM More reviews by maybom

Hmmm, a majority of the reviews for this product seem positive and I wish I could agree. I only use powder foundations and this one was on sale so I tried it. I got the color 'Nude' and it was just a little lighter than my natural face color, no biggie. What I don't like is the formulation. I apply the product with a large kabuki brush and it looks cakey when applied. It also settles into my fine lines and pores. I've also applied it using the included puff (which I thought was a little cheaply made) and got the same result. The product doesn't oxidize though, lasts all day and provides buildable coverage (that ends up caking on me). Wouldn't repurchase because of the formulation. My HG powder foundation is still from MUFE (I only wish it wasn't so expensive!)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/21/2013 5:32:00 PM More reviews by j0j0

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Always on the lookout for a really good mineral powder, and this did not disappoint! I love the finely-milled texture, and the color match was perfect (light beige). For reference, I am light/medium with pinky/cool undertones. I chose the pressed powder vs. the loose powder because I believe the pressed version will last longer for me. I didn't bother applying with the enclosed sponge, but used my E.L.F. fluffy powder brush with pretty awesome results.
The finish is so pretty! Evens out skin tone wonderfully and looks very natural - not too "powdery". I have an oily t-zone, and I did have to do a light touch-up after about 4-5 hours, but I'm not going to complain because I just love the way this makes my complexion look. Very nice stuff!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2013 7:34:00 AM More reviews by andToto2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

I'm always looking for a great powder foundation. I like my Colorstay (the formula I use of that depends on the time of year) but sometimes I just want the lighter feeling of a powder foundation. The reviews on here and on Avon.com are so glowing, I decided to give it a try. It's quite nice in most respects. As someone else mentioned, it makes my skin itch a bit when I first apply it, but that goes away quickly. It is quite natural looking, it covers fairly well, and doesn't look very dry on my skin, as many powders and powder foundations can, especially in the winter when I am much dryer. The one thing that I don't like about it is the sheen that it leaves on my skin. I guess you could call it a glow, but whatever you call it, it's just kind of an unnatural finish. It's not extreme, but it's there. It holds up well on my skin throughout the day, and seems to hold shine at bay quite well.I still haven't figured out the best way to apply it for me. The applicator that it comes with doesn't thrill me. I have tried the E.L.F. Studio foundation brush, didn't like the way that worked out. I am fair to light, and I bought this in light beige. I was afraid the Ivory would be too pink and a bit too light. The light beige matches my skin quite well. All in all, it is quite good. But Maybelline Pure Stay powder foundation is still the best powder foundation I have tried at any price point.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/3/2013 6:25:00 PM More reviews by blackpoppy26

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

A little cakey, and really shows dry skin and lines but stays on my face well and feels nice..I would use this if im popping to the store or going for a jog.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/28/2012 8:44:00 AM More reviews by bimini156

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Grey, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Can't believe I hadn't reviewed this yet. I have ordered at least 4 of these. My 22 year old daughter loves it also. She wears it as a foundation. For me as a foundation it was only so-so. What I love this for is touch ups during the day. I keep one in my purse, one in the downstairs bathroom and one in the upstairs bathroom. I just use the included pad on my T-zone. I think it gives a beautiful finish. I think I usually pay $8 for this on sale. A really great product from Avon. I have the color light beige and this is a good match for my NC25 complexion.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/8/2012 10:14:00 AM More reviews by AyameAngel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is the first compact foundation I've ever had that I've hit the pan on. The color I have is in the lightest shade in 'Soft Ivory' and it's a tad to dark for my skin because I'm literally white as snow.
The coverage is medium and applies smoothly and evenly with the puff it comes with, if you want lighter coverage a powder brush will do the trick.
Overall, I love this product and would recommened it to anyone.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/12/2012 9:53:00 AM More reviews by dddoxie

If you're looking for a 'dupe' for MAC MSFN that doesn't break you out in huge cystic acne (like it did me), look no further than this product.

The finish is very similar to MSFN, a satiny finish with the ever-so-soft sheen. Buffs into the skin beautifully and leaves a very natural finish.

i love the way this wears too. Doesn't break down like other powders do. Lasts quite a while without requiring touch ups. Only have to blot about 1x/day too.

The product is a nice consistency; not too powdery but a bit 'stiffer' so that it doesn't create a lot of mess when applying.

I got Light Beige and it's a great match for my NC20/25 skin.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/15/2012 8:46:00 PM More reviews by DonnaJazzhands

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I love this foundation. It's perfect for my oily skin, and the coverage is great. I bought this powder in the fairest color which I believe is called "Soft Ivory" and it mixes very well with my pale skin. Probably the best part of all is that it's a pressed powder, so there is no swirling, tapping, etc. that comes with the mess of loose minerals. No more makeup stains on my clothes! The powder also has very subtle light reflecting pigments in it, so even oily skin types can achieve that "dewy" and "fresh faced" look with this powder. All this for the price of $11.00! I even went back to Avon.com and repurchased this since right now it's only $7.99! I'm very happy with this makeup.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2012 11:28:00 AM More reviews by heathermrm

In my ongoing quest to replace one of my HG foundations (EM pressed powder in Fairly Light - the version in the white plastic compact) that has been d/c which sucks!! I have emailed the company several times over the past 6 months and while they say they do plan on bringing it back, they don't know when.....sigh....

Based on a few recommendations from the skb, this is one of the options I elected to try in addition to a few others (Palladio, NYX, Laura Geller - see separate reviews)

I am NC 15 (for those of you not familiar w/ EM). I purchased online for around $10 and I purchased in 2 colors since I wasn't sure which would be best for me - I got in T03 light beige (too light for me = up for swap) and T04 nude = perfect match.

The bar to be met is VERY high: I am looking for highly pigmented (to cover my slight/blushing rosacea), non-drying, easily blendable, reasonable $, long lasting/wearing and non-drying. This meets all my criteria EXCEPT the price and the fact I need to perform 2 steps for best application (see below). Also as w/ all my mu, I do set w/ Urban Decay All Nighter (f/k/a Skindinavia Dance!) and w/ this, it does last 12 hours, but I haven't tried w/out the UD All Nighter = I cannot comment on how long-lasting it is w/out. I may try this in the near future tho and if so, will update.

I have applied both using my EM flat brush and my slightly dampened BeautyBlender sponge. I find I get the best coverage if I use the EM brush first and f/u w/ the BB on my more troublesome spots 2nd.

I will probably re-purchase unless EM finally makes good on their promise to bring back my HG.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/21/2011 1:58:00 AM More reviews by Hachiko8

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I actually liked this powder because of the natural looking and flawless finish that it gives. It didn't give me breakouts. The first time I tried it, my face became a little itchy but then the itchiness didn't last for long. I have an oily and sensitive skin so I thought It wasn't for me. But then I continued using it because it reduces the shine on my face. And later on, I found out that the culprit was the toner that I use because when I stopped it, the pimples subsided too. I just don't like the powder puff that comes with it. So I use another applicator instead of the original one that comes with the packaging. Just an advice: this is not good for very dry skin because it has a tendency to settle into lines and pores. If you have dry skin, better put on moisturizer first or if you're not comfortable with applying moisturizer before makeup, better wet the sponge applicator first. That works for me and gives a glowing, and dewy finish...Hope they won't discontinue this.

Update: My face broke out a few days ago and this is the culprit. I learned that once you've been using this foundation for a long time, the skin will develop an allergic reaction, I don't know if it's with the formula or the minerals. I was kind of skeptic at first but then my aunt confirmed my suspicion. I recommended this powder to her and she's been using this on her sensitive acne prone skin for sometime until she told me she also broke out lately..I have to switch to a new product..