September 2, 2014 | 1972 users online

Treatments (Eye) - Lancome - Genefique Eye Cream

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/3/2013 8:06:00 PM More reviews by cathykl

I got the full size jar as a gift. It looks pretty on my bathroom counter but that's about it. I hate the horrible jar packaging, and the slightly lumpy watery gel-like "cream" that dries out my under eye area and dries out in the jar after several uses. It actually made my under eye area so dry that I noticed skin cracking from my eye area down to the bottom of my cheeks and thought it was some weird lines that appeared overnight, and the dryness "pulled" my eyes down, like a tight mask. When I applied normal moisturiser this thankfully went away. I've never had such intense dryness from an eye cream of all things. Which brings me to - oddly this contains denatured alcohol, so it competes with my hand sanitizer and they share a similar smell and texture.

I tried using this in the summer for a couple of weeks to see if anything would change, then tried again in the fall. No positive changes appearance-wise in terms of hydration, fine lines, circles etc, plenty of negative changes though - like increasing dryness, skin peeling and cracking and irritation. Used alone this also made my eye area feel itchy and red for about 2 days - not a good thing. My husband kept asking me if I was ok because my eyes looked like I "had been crying".

All that being said, I have found one use for this that doesn't involve the bin: when mixed with a heavier moisturiser such as Vaseline or shea butter or my Boots Botanics Organic hydrating eye cream, it makes them lighter and more easily and quickly absorbed therefore useable in the morning prior to applying make-up. I try not to do this often and by using only a tiny amount of Genefique, hopefully the other creams offset the negative effects of the alcohol, including the dryness and irritation.

If you want to prevent or soften fine lines -please do yourself and your skin a favour a check out some much better and more effective options such as:
NeoStrata Bionic Eye Cream w/4% gluconaloctone (an exfoliating eye cream w/ antioxidants)
Olay Pro-X Eye Restoration Complex (silky texture, perfect for am & pm and I use this with Vit C serum under the eyes)
Vaseline, Argan oil, shea butter and CeraVe or any mild unfragranced creams or serums are also great options and will keep the eye area looking soft and more youthful than this overpriced cr*p.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/11/2013 8:58:00 AM More reviews by coconuty

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

yuck!! stings my eyes badly!! really harsh for your skin, especially for your delicate eye area. gave me puffy, watery eyes. made me wanna cry when i first saw myself in the morning. had to return it.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/5/2013 9:03:00 PM More reviews by MakeupForAll

I wanted to like this product as I really love the promotions that Lancome has and this eye cream is much better price than the La Mer eye cream I normally use. I have to start by saying that I have somewhat sensitive skin and dry skin. If you are the same, I don't recommend this product. First, its definitely not that moisturizing. Second, I think the ingredients are a little strong, and it caused me to get allergic reaction around one of my eyes. (I want to specify that this happens to me with a lot of eye creams that have anti-aging properties)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/3/2013 1:58:00 PM More reviews by tswope57

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I would buy this product again if it fit into my budget. Unfortunately with 2 kids needing help with college loans, that doesn't happen often :) It is very smooth and silky and blends into skin without being greasy. Very lightweight and moisturizing. Having said that, it feels very similar to ProX Eye restoration which is my "go to" daily eye cream so I'll probably keep using Olay ProX.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/1/2013 3:41:00 AM More reviews by Pocketchic

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I almost finished the little jar so now I feel ready to write a review about it. I don't have wrinkles but I do have hereditary dark circles. Personally I don't believe there is a product that could help with that because it's part of your genetics and no product that only penetrates the outer epidermis could ever fix that. Having said that, I do like this cream but I would not repurchase because it's quite expensive and I do not think this one is better that the other eyecreams I have tried including Lancome Absolue Premium BX, Kiehl's Midnight Recovery, Vichy LifActive Eyes, Vichy LiftActiv Retinol HA Eyes. And these are just the last few ones I tried and remembered :)

I liked:
- the packaging; very chic
- the unobtrusive smell
- the creamy consistency
- how quickly it absorbed into my skin. Very important for my morning routine
- how hydrating it is

Nothing I didn't like about this product, but due to the steep price and lack of specific benefits I would not repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/25/2013 4:18:00 AM More reviews by jumbojuice

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I got a sample with GWP. Mine had a lumpy pudding like texture that makes it look like it's old and ruined, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I have been using this for about a week and I can't tell if it's doing anything. Have I given it enough time, does it actually work, etc, etc, I can't comment on that. It does glide on beautifully and makes my eye area feel wonderful. I wear this at night, I feel it's too rich to wear during the day.

I don't think I would buy it by itself. I don't have enough proof that it justifies the price, but I do really like it as a cream for the eye area.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/28/2013 2:15:00 AM More reviews by misstv

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I use this at night after I apply Dior Eye Essential. In just a week, it has great reduced the appearance of my fine lines. I'm only 26, but have fine lines under my eyes already as the eldest of six children. I think you need to use this in conjunction with an eye serum that works for you to get the best out of it.

That said, I think it's a bit too pricey. I have no problems splurging on skincare (Dior Eye Essential is god's gift to women), but it's far too rich/thick for me to ever consider using it during the day, so I don't think I can justify re-purchasing when it runs out. I bought this from Strawberrynet as a part of a set, with a 50ml bottle of the Genifique Youth Activating Serum. I got the pair for $186, so it's not too bad. That said - the serum does absolutely nothing for my oily skin that still breaks out from time to time.

NB: The name on my tub is 'Genifique Youth Activating Eye Concentrate'

Edit: The skin at the outer corner of my eye became red, shiny and sore after weeks of using this cream. My eyes wept at night (the only time I applied the cream) and I woke up with a lot of 'crusties'. My upper eyelids also puffed up and became red, dry and scaly. Two - three weeks later the skin has finally healed after I stopped using this cream and applied Lucas's Paw Paw ointment (red tube) morning and night to the affected areas after cleansing. I won't be repurchasing - will send the almost still full tub to my mother. Maybe it will work for her dry, mature skin. I had the same reaction to Dr Lewinn's firming eye cream. I suspect my eyes aren't fond of products that contain retinol.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 3/21/2013 11:53:00 PM More reviews by mandyrubin

I bought genifique and it did nothing, it isnt worth the money at all. I also researched it a little after no results to find that it has little to no active ingredients. It is riding on the Lancome name to sell it.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/21/2013 11:22:00 PM More reviews by nicizzy

I've been using this for about a year now and I haven't seen the results I was hoping for. My normal regimen includes Genifique serum followed by Genifique night cream (which is fabulous, a mini face lift in a jar), Genifique Eye Light Pearl, then after the Light Pearl has absorbed, the Genifique eye cream.

The cream is more of a lotion and it doesn't feel nourishing as it goes on. I've not really seen any difference in my eye bags or eye wrinkles. In contrast, the Lancome Renergie eye is the total opposite - it's rich and nourishing and instantly brightens and perks up my whole eye area.

I plan to switch over to the whole Renergie line when I'm finished using my Genifique products though I suspect I won't be able to live without the Genifique night cream for very long simply because I love it so much. But I won't be repurchasing the Eye Light Pearl or the eye cream.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/21/2012 8:21:00 PM More reviews by tdhx0

Super moisturizing and helped reduce my dark circle and puffiness. The skin around my eye area drinks this up, I love it!