July 22, 2014 | 2158 users online

Polishes - Hard Candy - Beetle

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/6/2013 4:03:00 AM More reviews by crickett85

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I just love this polish for many reasons. It's NOT a GLITTER Polish, it's a Metallic Duochrome, perfectly flat, easy to work with, doesn't require any "glitter tamer" (like many really heavy glitter polishes do if you don't want to end up with lumpy fingernails) plus several coats of clear laquer. No,just apply Sally Hansen Bottom Coat, Wet 'n Wild Top Coat (or sometimes no top coat), generally 2 coats of Hard Candy Beetle to completely Opaque and you are DONE!

Actually, although called a Duochrome, this is really a Multi-Chrome as it flashes several colours, Green, Gold, Plum, Purple among them. It looks different in different types and levels of light and as you move your hands.

Durability, very good. It doesn't have any rough edges like glitters to catch on things so even under normal wear with washing the dog, hand washing dishes, playing with the dog at the dog park (about every day), house cleaning, it usually lasts me a good 4 or 5 days and I do a lot with my hands. Plus, once I get a few little chips, I tend to completely re-do the mani instead of just repairing it when I could just repair.

I love the way that it appears to be so many different colours as you turn your hands and/or in different lights. A friend of mine said that she had thought for a few seconds the other day that I had two different colours of nail polish on because one hand appeared to have a plum shade and the other green and then I moved the other hand and she realized that the polish actually appeared to change colours. Now I have to give her a bottle of the Beetle from my stash because she's in love with it too and......it's discontinued. Of course, she pretty much guessed that I had a stash. I do, when it went on clearance, I picked up 23 bottles.

A brief history on Hard Candy for those who think of this as just a cheap brand. It actually started out as a brand only sold in exclusive boutiques in Hollywood and in such stores as Nordstroms. There was a star some years ago on a talk show who, when asked about her nail polish, mentioned it was Hard Candy and their sales just went off the charts! In fact, butter London and Zoya, Smashbox and Bobbi Brown cosmetics had NOTHING on Hard Candy. Unfortunately, their marketing did not keep up with the times and they simply did not evolve. So, a few years ago you would have been paying top dollar for their brand. But, they fell off the grid. Then Walmart picked them up along with a few Ulta stores. And their prices went down to about one third of what one used to pay for Hard Candy.

O.K. Enough of the history lesson. My point being, this nail polish is actually very high quality product from a company that was doing high quality and 3 Free years ago and was sold in Nordstroms WAY before they were sold in Walmart.

So, my 5 lippies goes to Hard Candy Beetle for 3 Free, Color (love the Duochrome and theirs is MUCH better done than most) and durability. Now, good luck finding a bottle. I think eBay still has a few.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/20/2012 8:44:00 PM More reviews by cheeky

I absolutely love this color. It was about $6 from walmart. I usually don't like polishes like this, but it looks great on my nails, and is very unique (despite there being some very close dupes to it haha). I got compliments on this, it definitely stands out, and the staying power is great. It's really shiny even without a top coat, and looks exactly the same on your nails as it does in the bottle. hard candy has really impressed me with their polishes lately, and i'll definitely be trying out more.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/24/2012 6:25:00 PM More reviews by heyjoni

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

After I read that Beetle is similar to Rimmel's discontinued Zeitgeist, I had to investigate and unfortunately had to go to Wal-Mart, where I grabbed the last one off the shelf. While they both share a similar unique greenish gold-burgundy-purple ever-changing duochrome shimmer, Beetle contains sparkly microglitter and ultimately not a dupe. It is, however, a mesmerizing polish that I can easily keep staring at... even if it's still no replacement for my beloved Zeitgeist. Beetle is very sheer and definitely takes 3 coats if you want opaque coverage. The price is good, but it can show wear after a couple days.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/16/2012 11:31:00 PM More reviews by Jexka

I don't usually go for heavy glitter polishes, but this duochrome looked so beautiful I couldn't resist. Beetle is a rusty purple shade with a green and yellow duochrome. It's unique, gorgeous, and the name is very fitting. I find myself staring at my nails so often when I wear this and twisting my hand around just to watch the polish change colors!
For a glitter polish, this applies very smoothly and dries evenly. One of my biggest issues with glitter polishes is that they dry down to an uneven, gritty texture, but Beetle does not. It's pretty shiny on it's own, but with a super glossy topcoat, this shade is amazing. The formula is pretty thin, but it's usually opaque in two heavy coats. I was also very surprised that I had no issues with this polish being streaky.
The only downside to Beetle is that it doesn't last too long. I know it's only around $4-5, but I have some other Hard Candy polishes that last longer. I usually get minor tip wear after only about 2 days and I usually chip by the 4th or 5th day. It's disappointing, because I'm super anal about my nails and as soon as I get a decent sized nick in just one nail, I have to take it all off and redo them. But this polish is so pretty and unique that I will continue to wear it quite often, despite this one little issue. I definitely recommend this as a very cheap duochrome shade, since those can be pretty hard to find at drugstores!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/18/2012 8:05:00 PM More reviews by a29105

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This is the most unique and captivating color that's I've come across at the drugstore. I saw this at Wal-Mart for $4 and had to give it a try. The name fits it perfectly. It is as close to the color of beetles' wings that a cosmetic company will get. It takes about 3 coats for it to become fully opaque, but most of my other nail polishes do as well. If I had to compare the formula to other drugstore polishes, I would say that it's pretty close to Revlon's creme formula polishes: smooth, non-streaky, and fast-drying. I would buy this while you still can. It isn't discontinued, but there was only one left at my Wal-Mart so it must be pretty popular. I would buy it again if I had to.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/17/2012 9:29:00 AM More reviews by 2ksmom

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is an interesting polish, just not really my cup of tea. It’s a pink/green duochrome with pink microglitter. I found it at Walmart with the Hard Candy cosmetics for $4. I was shocked at how sheer this is; I needed 3 coats to get bottle color. On the plus side, though, it dries very quickly (I was able to do base coat, 3 coats of ‘Beetle’, and a top coat in under an hour). It applies easily, not thick or gloppy as sometimes glittery polishes can be. Wear time is decent, I had some tip wear by day 3 and chipping by day 4. I’ve gotten compliments on this shade. I’ll use it time to time, perhaps more in the spring/summer. I just prefer darker shades (reds, purples, browns, greys) with a crème (or the occasional shimmer) finish. This is just a little out of my comfort zone, so for that reason I wouldn’t purchase again. Probably better suited for the ‘younger’ crowd, anyways!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/31/2012 3:21:00 AM More reviews by kbastow

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Overall I love this color because it is unique and affordable. On the downside, the formula is thin, took 3 coats to even out and I had tip wear after only 1 day (w/ a topcoat). Kind of a bugger to get off but not as bad as some glitters, for the price, I would still buy it again.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/5/2012 11:06:00 PM More reviews by nilorac123321

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I ADORE this nail colour.
It's so pretty, it applies beautifuly, and dries very fast.
I get people asking what colour it is all the time. It's kind of my staple.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/15/2011 1:08:00 AM More reviews by kimbuyah

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Other Eyes: Blue

I love Beetle! My cat loves Beetle! A giant wolf spider chased after me while I was trying to paint Beetle on my nails.( It was him or me & I had to pulverize him with a folder I found nearby & he was in a few pieces & still trying to hop over & eat me & it was one of those times when you wish you had one of those Creme' Brulee torches because that mutant spider would not die easily & killing him destroyed my freshly painted mani but it's a great polish. It's a little sheer so it takes a few coats but it's best to spare some hassle & put on dark base first. I've liked Sapphire in the Snow but I am finding Color Club Wild At Heart to be a great base for many polishes. Beetle is very very multichromey. I've heard of it being compared to Rimmel Zeitgeist but I can't agree because that's like apples & oranges or beetles & spiders, they are completely different textures but both polishes have a big color assortment, Beetle is just more of a glitteryish polish & the other smooth. I have gone through 3 bottles & I have a healthy back up of these, I never want to be without a Beetle. It wears pretty well & it's stunning with 230 over it! The best part is that you can easily get Beetle for only $4! I've seen it on Ebay for $12 in listings that also say, "Rare" "VHTF", "Limited Edition", Bull donkey!! You can get it on Walmart.com for $4 & they deliver it free to your door. Why do I feel like I've reviewed this before? Anyway, it's a fabulous polish with a really cool effect.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/4/2011 1:17:00 AM More reviews by nosemdy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I totally love this shade. It makes my nails rock and I have been complimented a lot when I wear it. I am going through my second bottle, it's just amazing :)