October 1, 2014 | 1789 users online

Polishes - Creative Nail Design - Shellac - Fedora

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/31/2013 10:26:00 PM More reviews by ladykestryl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this color and this was the first gel mani, I ever had for my birthday a couple of years back. Sadly, this brand only lasted about a week before terrible chips started to show. For the money paid, this should have lasted more than a week! I will not have this done again, in this brand. This is terrible, because the color is so pretty.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/8/2013 12:40:00 PM More reviews by AoifeC21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Hey all, this is my first post so please, bare with me. I'm Aoife (prounounced E-FA) and Im from Ireland. I'm a HUGE beauty/makeup geek and I am always buying and trying new products.So you'll find me posting about new products I have bought and tested and giving my thumbs up or thumbs down on them.

So yesterday, I was out with my friend and I decided okay I need my nails done. I am not messing when I say I REALLY needed them done. Firstly I am a D.I.Y gal so I will always do my own nails, I thought hmm its time for a change and I have been dying to try the Shellac nails so I did. So I went into a salon in shopping centre (mall) called Sugar-dolls and got them done there. Now, I have short nails ( I sometimes bite them, oops ) so the girl said I would be better off going for a strong, dark colour, so I did. I chose number 34 from the colour wheel which I think was called Midnight swim. Its a gorgeous dark blue colour, almost black with a hint of glitter in it. I wanted to go for a summer colour but she knows best right? Although the girl who did my nails was not chatty AT ALL ( bit rude? ) I would get them done again, providing I get a different and friendly artist.

Have you tried the shellac nails? Let me know if so..

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/25/2013 6:39:00 PM More reviews by Jhulagurl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Chipped the first day of application! Shellac does not last near as long as gelish gel color. The fedora color chipped after only hours after they were applied, not worth the extra money!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/12/2012 1:17:00 PM More reviews by chaifreak

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love Shellac in general (I've tried lots of colors, and would also recommend Rock Royalty if you like darker colors!!), and Fedora is probably one of my top picks! It's a gorgeous burgundy/wine/brown color. Makes my nails look pretty perfect for weeks, and keeps them strong. I am notoriously hard on my hands, and the mani still holds up pretty well. LOVE. :)

Tips for shellac:
Definitely find someone who is GOOD at doing shellac. I had a few not-so-great manicurists before I found THE one. If you're OCD about your nails (like I am), it's important you find the right person to do your shellac.

Also, moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. Shellac is gel, and if it gets too dried out, it'll flake & peel faster. Be sure and keep hand lotion/cuticle oil around! :) Solar Oil (by CND) works quite well w/ the shellac, but really anything will do!

Try it! :) Hopefully you'll love it as much as I do!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/24/2012 4:52:00 PM More reviews by ltgee

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

ok i am in love with shellac! i got it down last Thursday and it is fabulously still chip free and ultra shiny. i was going to get lincoln park after dark (opi)) but the girl told me they now carry shellac and if i wanted to try it. its awesome! she tried to match it as close as possible and this was the closest. fedora is like a purple brown with translucent red shimmer underneath (you'd have to be in the right light to see the shimmer). its a shade too purple to be taupe-y i suppose? its really lovely and i will do it again in a heartbeat. i havent done the removal yet but how bad can it be-i use to wear gels and it involves the same it seems, soaking and scraping. love it! going to try the red next time.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2011 4:51:00 PM More reviews by january28

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

A friend had mentioned this line and I decided to give it a try at the salon. I had romantique and another coloour mixed. It turned out really well. NO CHIPS, SUPER GLOSSY, ALLOWS YOUR NAIL TO GROW LONG! My nails never grew cause it would always chip/crack/break. After having Shellac on, it grew so long!

I bought my own shellac set and lamp and i've done it for a few friends and for myself. its the best nail polish product ever!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2011 8:47:00 PM More reviews by FrizzBgone

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I love the colour. If you like OPI's Lincoln Park After Dark, you will probably like Fedora. It is really close. I have tried Shellac and Gelish and so far, I prefer the Shellac. The removal process is much simpler, with little scraping.

Edited: unfortunately I had to stop using Shellac. I think it is a great product for occasional use, but be cautious doing back to bak manicures. Even though you don't have to soak in acetone that long, it is extremely drying to your nails. For someone who already had weak, brittle, splitting nails, the "small" amount of acetone did my nails in. I started to see white spots on my nails after they removed the product. Thankfully an ethical nail tech told me I shouldn't be using Shellac anymore. My nails had gotten so dry that she was concerned they would split down into the nail bed. If someone tells you the acetone won't harm your nails because it is a small amount and for only a short time, it is not true. Occasional use is fine, but you shouldn't do back to back manicures with Shellac. The nail tech who told me to stop said they recommend evert third manicure at most, be Shellac (assuming you get a manicure every 2-3 weeks). Because I applied the solar nail oil on my nails constantly throughout the day, it likely allowed me to get away with it as long as I did.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/25/2011 10:04:00 PM More reviews by Gemstone221

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Green

Wow. I don't think I'll ever go back to normal manicures again.
Shellac keeps my nails looking 'manicure fresh' for days. (I'm on day 13 and aside from normal nail growth, the Shellac looks perfect). I also think the Shellac protects my nails from wear.
Fedora is also a great winter color! It's kind of a dark eggplant/burgundy hue.
I had my first Shellac done at a salon, and it was a bit pricy, but well worth the $.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/18/2010 11:40:00 PM More reviews by jimsland

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I'm in love with CND's Shellac manicures. I've had 3 and they've all lasted more than 2 weeks. This last color is quite dark so didn't think I'd make it. 18 days before a chip.

Fedora is a cool dark brown, with purple and burgundy undertones. It's quite gorgeous. I really want to layer it with Strawberry Smoothie (check out their site for layering options - http://www.cnd.com/shellaclayering/).