July 31, 2014 | 1789 users online

Skincare - Body - Shea Butter-100% Pure, Raw

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2013 12:19:00 AM More reviews by MsVengeance

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

My favorite facial moisturizer has shea butter as a main ingredient which lead to me discovering all this propaganda online about how shea butter is such an amazing cure all for anything from scars to pimples to wrinkles--I was like sign me up!!! I ordered raw unrefined ivory shea butter off of amazon and it came in a giant sticky slab which was wrapped in a plastic bag and enclosed in a bubble envelope. Over time i have learned to use it under my eyes, on my lips, and occasionally, on the back of my hands ONLY. Don't get me wrong, I actually really love this stuff as an eye cream but now I'm stuck with a bunch of broken dreams and a giant slab of eye cream...

On it's own---which is the only way I use it bc I really don't care to read any more propaganda for recipes or instructions on how to mix it--it Is INCREDIBLY occlusive and sticky! I don't even use it as a body moisturizer (like I said it's sticky!) because it'd get all over my clothes, and I would never in a million years suggest putting this stuff on your face! I couldn't even use this on my face during a 6 month course of accutane. I don't believe the people suggesting that are using straight shea butter....either that or I would guess they maybe used it for a week or two and never bothered to update about the breakouts they subsequently suffered... I mean, sure there's ARE occasional people who are exceptions to the rule but this stuff is not exactly conducive to clear skin because while it may be good for it, it doesn't let it breathe (the texture is similar to petroleum only stickier).

UPDATE: I raised my rating a stick bc I recently found an acceptable way (for me anyway) to use this in the shower: I keep a small chunk of it in the shower and break off a little bit of it and mash it onto my shower puff before adding olay shower soap (the liquid kind) and lathering up. It moisturizes me this way without making me feel all greasy and nasty afterwards.

Also, if you're thinking about ordering shea butter consider getting it certified organic bc "unrefined," all natural," and "raw" products still contain pesticides and chemicals...I mean, personally I wish I'd just skipped this one but if you're going to order it you might as well get the kind that hasn't been sprayed with chemicals.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/7/2013 10:42:00 AM More reviews by organicmoon

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This stuff is incredible! Always on the hunt for a moisturizer for my dry, sensitive, acne prone skin and I will now never use anything else but raw shea butter. I tried the Nubian Heritage brand b/c I wanted to try something before sending off an order in case I didn't like it. I picked this up from Walmart in the ethnic hair care section. After standing there forever reading ingredient lists I knew I picked the right one. Ingredients: Raw shea butter, extracts of frankincense and myrrh, vitamin e & essential oil blend. Nothing that causes breakouts or irritation. The scent is highly comforting and not strong, just pleasant. I was gonna order raw, unrefined shea butter online b/c you can get a better price for more quantity but I thought if it didn't work out I didn't want all this shea butter sitting around. So I bought this to try for under $7 for 4oz. Plus can reuse the container when I'm done. Since I started using this in the height of summer my face was slightly oily at first. I have dry skin so I wasn't use to that. After several days I learned to apply just a little, let it melt then apply a little more if I needed to. It's easy to overdo. Now after 2 months of use I have 3/4 of the jar left. Mostly I use on my face but sometimes after showers I take the extra time to put all over my body. Most nights before bed I apply on my feet and hands for really soft skin in the morning. I wash my face with a few drops of Bronner's liquid castile soap on a microfiber cloth, rinse, spray on homemade toner of chamomile and green tea, let it dry then apply this butter. My skin hasn't looked this good ever! Even before I started getting acne in early adolescence. My stubborn nose blackheads are gone, my acne scars are mostly faded and my wrinkles (yes, I have them) are softening. I have a really deep, stubborn one on my forehead that is less noticeable everyday. My skin is not perfect and I still have the occasional breakout (mostly along my jaw line, but not on my face anymore) which I do believe comes from stress and it hasn't cleared up all hyperpigmentation and scars but it is better. First 2 weeks I didn't notice much just that my skin felt good and properly moisturized and then one day BAM! My face was more luminous and clear and not irritated. Like I said not immediate results but pretty damn close. I don't have to wear any foundation any more which is something I never thought would happen. Hot days I will put on a little loose powder or maybe some concealer under my eyes but it's not necessary. Bye Bye Colorstay! (just kidding I will keep it around for special occasions). Everyone should get some raw shea butter. This has essential oils which are good for the skin and also I think some are put off from the actual smell of shea butter but if it works so good I guess nobody should be complaining. I have used NH blacksoap before and while it didn't clear my acne it didn't make it worse but I really enjoyed using it on my body. I will always have a jar of this around but also will be ordering more from Amazon b/c it's cheaper and you get more and I want to use this on my entire body and 4 oz won't last long if I used it like that. I also started putting this on a spider vein I was developing on my inner leg next to my knee just to see what happened and it really is getting smaller. I didn't even think that would work. PLEASE understand I have never had good skin and unfortunately I had just kind of accepted it and then this happened. Give it some time, don't over apply and give it a few seconds to melt so you don't drag it across your face. Great on eyelashes at night, on scalp as a treatment before washing (my hair and scalp were freaky soft), after wash as a leave in conditoner, on cuticles and nails etc. Get some!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/12/2012 2:41:00 PM More reviews by mua_freak

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

i can use this on my face and i dont break out. and that says alot because nearly everything makes me break out. i only use it at night because it can get greasy, but it is the best moisturizer ive found yet.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2012 5:53:00 PM More reviews by Maite5468

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Holy Crap why didn't I try this sooner!! I've only been using it for 2 days but my feet, hands, and lips r super soft and moisturized!! I bought a big 8oz container of RAW UNREFINED Shea butter from Ghana West Africa (yellow in color) for about $8 from my local beauty supply store (I think the brand is Asante Naturals). It's definately gonna last me forever cuz u only need a small amount (maybe like a pea size) melted in your hands for each area u want to moisturize. I got some weird dry patch on my neck (maybe a rash) and I've been putting this on it a few times a day and it's keeping it very moisturized and keeping it from peeling! I even put a little on my face last night mixed with my retinol cream (cuz sometimes it dries me out a little) and I woke up to a glowing, soft, smooth face!! I didn't put a lot cuz I'm very acne prone and I was afraid it would clog my pores but so far it hasn't. I did research and RAW UNREFINED Shea butter is suppose to have a nutty smell, and it's suppose to be either beige or yellow in color depending on where it comes from, AND it's suppose to be non-comodegenic.....so I knw mine is legit!! Love it! I put some in a little jar (like the ones sephora uses for samples) to keep in my purse as lip balm.....did I mention my lips are xtra smooth and soft!!! Everyone needs a tub of this stuff in their homes!!!! I'm trying to make my fiancÚ put it on his dry feet now lol

rated 4 of 5 on 11/24/2011 7:16:00 AM More reviews by Dutchgirll

For a while now I have been slowly trying to change my beautyproducts to more natural and organic products. Thats how I found out about shea butter and I bought 2 tins of raw unrefined Ugandan shea butter. This products smells horrible and I can't seem to get used to it. The reason I am still very excited about it is because it makes my skin so supersoft!
You just take a bit from the tin and put it in the palm of your hand, rub it untill it warms up and becomes an oil. Use this oil for any dry part of your body or just put it all over your body as a body lotion. I have quite dry skin on my legs and used this products and my skin was really supersoft. In the morning I rub it on my hands aswell and it keeps my hands soft throughout the entire day without having to reapply. Eventhough its really cold outside here, normally making my hands very dry, and eventhough I wash my hands many times during the day, especially when cooking. Absolutely amazing! To get back to the smell; I apply this in the morning on my hands and after a long day and handling garlic in my hands when cooking I still fainly smelled the shea butter at the end of the day!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/15/2011 2:25:00 PM More reviews by gaelicas

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

After trying everything out there, paying outrageous amounts for products that didn't work, I think this is the best moisturizer I could find for my feet and hands... And the price is unbeatable. I use it at night when I'm watching tv: I apply a thick layer to the skin and then I put on a pair of socks and gloves to avoid making a greasy mess. When I go to bed, my hands and feet are silky soft and stay that way the morning after. I also use it in winter when I have craked lips. I don't apply shea butter on my face because I have oily skin and acne, and I am prone to pore clogging, but I guess this should be a great option for those with very dry skin.

I use refined shea butter from Now Foods (similar to the L'Occitane one) because it has been deodorized and the texture is very soft (I don't like the natural scent of raw shea butter or the rough texture).The price is also amazing: I bought a big jar of 7 oz. on iHerb.com for 7.63$. If you use the code LOP266 at checkout you will get a 5$ discount on your first order.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2011 8:18:00 AM More reviews by Jewelx17

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Caution to those that are highly prone to acne like myself. I am currently using african black soap with great results but I did notice drying like many that use it. It was recommended to use raw unrefined shea butter along with the soap. Everywhere I read, I heard nothing about great things and it claimed it was non-comedogenic meaning non-pore clogging. I should've known better than to apply this to acne prone areas knowing how my skin is. It's solid in room temperature for god's sake! How is that not pore clogging? Yes it warms up with body heat but only after vigorous rubbing and I am not constantly rubbing my face, lol. I'm sure a lot of people don't have problems with clogged pores but I'm speaking for people with my skin type. I've read that even some people with acne prone skin get great results from this but if you are constantly working to keep your pores clean like me, stay away from this. My skin was looking pretty good until I tried this. I didn't realize it was this for a week and a half until I figured it out. I first thought it was the african black soap. I thought it stopped working or something. The shea butter even made my back break out. It is now clearing already since I stopped using it 3 days ago. I also didn't find this that moisturizing. It would sink into the skin and then feel like nothing. A plus side to this is that surprisingly, it doesn't leave a greasy texture. I like other shea butter products but I think maybe 100% pure is too much for me. Either that or I bought a bad quality butter.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/2/2011 5:09:00 PM More reviews by godpsent

Age: Unknown Skin: Oily, Deep Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Black

great all around moisturizer. hands down.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/7/2011 10:49:00 PM More reviews by MzSiStarr

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I use this head to toe. I use this to moisturize my skin and hair. Keeps both soft and looking great. I buy it pure and unrefined from my local beauty supply. I like the yellow kind and it comes in a nice sized tub for around $5. Lately I've been whipping it up with Aloe Gel that I got from Trader Joes to make Shea-Lo (fantastic moisturizer, and the texture is so divine) Shea Butter is def one of mother nature's gifts. A staple in my beauty routine <3

rated 5 of 5 on 2/2/2011 2:08:00 AM More reviews by llamadu

I use this on my face and body and on my baby too.
We both have sensitive skin and have allergic reactions to ingredients in soaps and lotions. We switched over to using raw African black soap and unrefined ivory shea butter. This has worked very well for us.

I have acne prone combination skin, and my breakouts have lessened a lot since I have switched from my old cleaner and moisturizer to African black soap and shea butter.

Whether or not you are looking for an all natural moisturizer, I think this does a good job. Just remember to heat up the shea butter by rubbing between your hands.

The yellower varieties of shea work well too, but leave yellow marks on sheets and other laundry, so I opt to use the ivory.