December 21, 2014 | 1960 users online

Styling Products - Hold It! Super Hold Freeze Spray

rated 1.0(1 review)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2010 6:56:00 PM More reviews by user24678

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This was another recent purchase at Sally Beauty Supply, and another hairspray fail. I wanted something super, super strong for my volumized, backcombed style. I usually use CHI Helmet Head and love it but at $15-$20 per bottle and considering how much I use, it gets quite pricey. This spray is fairly strong (in comparison to other firm sprays), but I still found I needed to use a fair bit of it (probably enough that it works out to be about the same price as my CHI Helmet Head, since they're only about $5 difference in cost and the CHI bottle is bigger). The main issues I had with this spray were... 1) The sprayer really sucks. It says on the cap that the sprayer is new and improved, and I can't imagine how bad it was before because it's still terrible! Most of the time, all that comes out is air, and then you get an occassional burst of wet spray. 2) It totally eliminates all the shine from my jet black hair and makes it really matte and dull, possibly even a bit white-ish. I've definitely had sprays leave a worse white cast, but really, any amount isn't tolerable. 3) I didn't realize it until my scalp at my part started burning, but this contains sunscreen! I'm allergic to chemical sunscreen! Nowhere on the front of the bottle did it advertise a sunscreen. I'm not sure what the sunscreen's purpose is for. Is it supposed to help prolong your colour and shine? If that's it, it's pretty pointless since it creates a sheer white coating on your hair! 4) It also doesn't smell very good, but not super strong so I could have tolerated that if it hadn't been for the other issues. I will be returning this spray and would not recommend it if you have dark hair or sensitive skin, or if you really need and appreciate a good quality sprayer. I'm only giving it a 2/5 because it is stronger than most other supposedly freezing sprays.
Edit 10/18/2010: I've been trying to just use this up in my underlayers in conjunction with better sprays on top and near my scalp, just trying to save the trip back to return this. It really doesn't hold as well as I originally thought! You mostly get air and you have to go over each area sooo many times before it actually holds. I'm not finding it as white as the first time I used it (maybe the formula was still unsettled, despite the initial shake) unless I spray too close (which is hard not to do because otherwise the spray rarely reaches your head), but the hold sucks and the sprayer sucks and the formula is sticky, sticky, sticky for a good half hour or more before it fully dries and sets. Ick!

Edit 11/10/2010: I just thought I'd add that my bathroom floor was still so sticky days later after using this stuff that if I stood in one spot for a few minutes, I'd go to step away and my socks would be glued to the floor! I always get some hairspray buildup on my floor with any sprays I use so I wipe it down at least weekly, but never have I experienced anything as sticky as this spray!