Mastey Traite Shampoo

4.2

As of May 2011: Aqua/Eau/Water, Panthenol B5, Methyl Gluceth-20, PCA, Rice Amino Acid, (Mastey NMF); Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Grape Seed Extract (Vitis Vinifera), Sunflower Seed Extract (Helianthus Annuus), (Mastey UVABLOC); Sulfoalkyl Amides & Esters, Disodium Cocoyl Glutamate, Decyl Glucoside, Glyceryl Stearate, Cetearyl Glucoside, Glycereth-2 Cocoate & Benzoic Acid, Parfum/Fragrance.

on 2/20/2015 12:58:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Ive been using this shampoo for 20 years in rotation with my favorite, Biolage Moisturizing Shampoo (as well as THE BEST CONDITIONER IN THE WORLD: Biolage Conditioning Balm). This shampoo is cone free and sulfate free... which are huge pluses!
All of these older salon-quality hair products were developed before silicones became the cheap (and damaging) rage. Since the 80's, silicones became a trend that has unfortunately stuck, and they are now in almost every hair product, giving everyone's hair amazing slip, but imparting ZERO real nourishment or conditioning. In fact, all they really do is coat your hair in plastic and suck the moisture right out of your would be luscious locks. You end up with dry hair, overly oily roots, and you mistakenly blame your body chemistry for it. But its not YOU. Its silicones. The oiliness seems out of control too because your natural nourishing hair sebum will sit on top your hair, instead of sinking in. The oil cant soak into your hair because the silicones act as a suffocating seal against them. I wish this trend would go away, because as much as I love my tried and true silicone free products, I can't fulfill my product junkie cravings as easily and the silicone laden industry has turned me into a sherlock holmes-like detective and researcher. I have to hunt down ingredients online, and learn new crazy long words all the time. But I digress... (so far every review ive done I talk about silicones, but like my mother (the queen of repetition), I repeat myself to get the word out so that maybe eventually it will help cause a revolution. If people stop buying cones we can end this brutal reign of bad hair).
This is an interesting shampoo in that it feels luxurious and ultra moisturizing when you use it. The texture is almost like whipped cream. Its delicious looking (and some would say delicious smelling... I personally enjoy the coconutty pina ciolada fragrance). Texture is unlike anything Ive ever used. But in the end, its just a simple reliable shampoo that wont strip your hair, and suds extremely rich lather while still being sulfate free. The effect is a no frills, get your hair good and clean, yet still very gentle, shampoo. Over time, your hair will become healthier and stronger using this shampoo but there wont be any instant miracles blooming in the shower or after. This is why I love it. Safe, effective, reliable, and luxurious to use. It may or may not be worth the price tag for you. But for me, knowing how hard it is to find something sulfate free and silicone free that performs this well, I think the price is fair.
In my opinion, if you have damaged hair, this is the perfect shampoo to use to prep your hair for a great nourishing conditioner. It wont cause build-up, it will be gentle, and it gets the job done safely without sulfates. If you really want to see miracles try it in conjunction with the biolage conditioning balm I mentioned previously (see my reviews).
Packaging: I think that this shampoo should be in a jar (I suppose I am in the minority, I love jar packaging) because its SO thick it can be hard to wrestle this stuff out at times.

on 3/9/2013 12:03:00 PM

This product smells great and has a nice whipped texture. However, beware of major tangles. I have medium length wavy/frizzy hair and this left it in knots. I had to put in the conditioner as i was rinsing the shampoo out just to unravel the nest. The Mastey moisture conditioner provides major slip which was my saving grace. Will not buy again because cannot afford the breakage of hair that comes with the knots.

on 9/12/2012 5:18:00 PM

HG!!! I have a sensitive scalp and medium length, FINE shoulder length hair. I stopped using sulfates after reading they could contribute to my scalp dermatitis. I picked this up at Winners for $13 for 1 Litre, a great price for a sulfate free shampoo. It lathers well, rinses well and I love the scent. However here is the magic. I recently went 4 months without a trim while growing my hair out for a wedding I was in. Usually I trim every 6-8 weeks. After 4 months I had MINIMAL split ends. Although my Aphogee Green Tea spray does help, this was the only new addition to my routine. I'd buy this just for the rich lather and scent alone though, its great. Look for the large bottles with the pumps, some have them, some don't.

on 9/10/2012 12:08:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

Traite is, without question, the best sulfate-free shampoo I've ever used. Many other SLS-free shampoos are just plain pathetic when it comes to actually cleansing the hair and scalp. To me, those shampoos are basically useless. Traite is amazing in that it's sulfate-free and actually thoroughly cleanses my hair. It has this really cool creamy texture, yet it somehow manages to create a lather and doesn't weigh down my fine hair whatsoever. It smells so yummy, like pineapple and coconut. Very beachy. This is such a wonderful, underrated shampoo and I wish more people knew about it.

on 9/4/2012 11:56:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have had this shampoo for awhile but it wasn't until I made a commitment to use only sulfate- and paraben-free hair products that I started to use this consistently. It is a creamy, but watery consistency that gives a bit of foaming but leaves hair clean, not weighed down. I have used up this bottle and will definitely get another. Great product.

on 5/9/2012 4:45:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I bought this based on the reviews and because I was looking for something SLS-free. This feels very thick, almost like whipped cream, and feels very nice. However, it left my hair pretty tangly and made my scalp itch. I'm not sure whether that has to do with one of the ingredients, or whether it wasn't removing oild/build-up properly. I have fine and pretty oily hair, so this might be better for those with dry hair.

on 3/28/2012 9:58:00 AM

I simply cannot express how much I love this shampoo. I am a habitual high-end product user (formerly Kerastase, current [pre-Mastey] B&B wear & care), but was looking for a sulfate-free shampoo in an effort to remedy minor breakage and drying problems. Granted, my hair is in really good shape to begin with, but after just a couple of days using this shampoo ("pre" washing the roots with a small bit of the Mastey Traite, followed by a second full wash, followed by my usual B&B Mending conditioner) my hair looks and feels utterly fabulous. It's never been this soft aside from the day of a salon treatment. I also have a really oily scalp - so much so that my hair historically looks like it badly needs a wash by dinnertime (after a morning shower). I don't know what this shampoo is doing differently, but I haven't had any oiliness issues since I started using it, either. The product switch was also motivated by a desire to bring down my product costs, and for me this shampoo is the value of values. I love the shampoo so much I may even try out the Mastey conditioner when my B&B runs out!

on 2/25/2012 10:49:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

GRAIL!!! After years of searching for a shampoo that is truly sulfate free, yet lathers well, yet won't strip the moisture from my naturally dry hair - this is the one! I It's very rich and creamy, as is the lather, and has a very light coconut scent. It even kept my hair from tangling! When I used my conditioner after and rinsed, my hair felt like SILK! My hair dried soft, light and clean - no heavy residue to make it greasy again too quickly ( I was still waiting for a catch, you see)! I know this product has been around a while, so I've read, but in my little town, I only first saw it in winners the other day... I plan to go back and buy them out before it's gone!

on 11/26/2011 9:32:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I colored my hair about a year ago as I was trying to save money on salon visits. Big mistake as the color kept fading and I had to keep reapplying color to cancel out brassiness, so my hair became quite dry. I tried expensive products like Bumble & Bumble but those contain sulfates and I wasn't getting the results I wanted that justified such an expensive product.

So my local beauty store recommended Mastey Traite and I tried a sample of it. It smells really good and my hair was actually very manageable and had body. This is even better than Pureology, and I'm just glad that I have found a more inexpensive sulfate-free shampoo. It's very creamy and smells tropical and suds well for a sulfate free shampoo. So glad that I found this. It's nice when you find a good product such as this because it's something you can stick with.

on 9/7/2011 12:02:00 AM

thank you, mua! without all the reviews, I'd probably never look into this shampoo. this is one of two shampoos (the other is redken all soft) I can use without breaking my face out. I do find it a bit drying, but nothing conditioner can't help with.

Top Rated Mastey Products