November 26, 2014 | 1759 users online

Sunscreen - Neutrogena - Healthy Defense Liquid Moisturizer SPF 50

rated 5 of 5 on 7/30/2014 11:59:00 PM More reviews by thereisalwayshope

Fantastic! Goes on without the dreaded white cast even with a very high SPF! I would recommend this to anyone!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/23/2013 10:01:00 AM More reviews by carrie79

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm pale and freckle very easily, so I need a high sunscreen in my daily moisturizer. This works great under my makeup or just on its own.

I rebought this just recently and realized this time around that I really like the smell. It's slightly powdery, but nice and clean smelling.

I've never had any breakouts with it and have noticed my skin is smoother since starting to use it again. Previously, I was using Neutrogena's liquid sunblock under Cover Girl BB cream, but my skin was getting dry. This has fixed that.

The only thing is that it doesn't really have any major skin enhancing ingredients. But my main needs are moisture and sun protection, and sometimes anti-aging ingredients bother my skin anyway, so for now, this is my go-to moisturizer each day.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/21/2012 12:05:00 PM More reviews by MorganAiden

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Black

This is a pretty good moisturizer. Given that it has such a high SPF it doesn't really leave me greasy or shiny. It absorbs right into my skin leaving behind no residue. The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't do much for the look/feel of my skin. I realize it's primary function is to serve as a sunscreen but, I like a product to be multipurpose.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/7/2012 4:15:00 PM More reviews by nyneeve

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This sunscreen is amazing! I've been using this almost daily for a few months now and I love it. I have very fair, acne-prone, sensitive skin and chemical sunscreens tend to turn my face into a red, irritated mess but this one doesn't bother me at all. It's very lightweight (the consistency is thin and runny) and I only need to use about a dime sized amount for my entire face. It sinks into my skin fast, moisturizes very well and doesn't leave a white cast. It also works great under makeup. I feel like my foundation lasts longer when I wear this under it.

The only complaint I have is it does leave my face looking a tad shiny. Not nearly as much as some other sunscreens I've tried though. It's perfect once I put my makeup on or use a little powder over it. :)

This is the only sunscreen I'll use on my face from now on. I'll definitely be repurchasing.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/19/2012 12:42:00 AM More reviews by jennibell72

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This product is awesome. I have combination skin and it gives just the right amount of moisture without making me too greasy or dry. This product is better than most of my way more expensive mositurizers and I find that my foundation clings to my skin nicely through the day rather than sliding off. I actually prefer this moisturizer over many of my makeup primers due to it's ability to work so well under makeup. My skin looks dewey, not greasy, through the day and my foundation lasts an extra long time, even longer than when I use regular makeup primer!!! Love this stuff!!!

rated 3 of 5 on 12/30/2011 4:30:00 PM More reviews by YellowLantern

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I wish I loved this as much as some others do, but I bought this liquid sunscreen because I hoped it would make my skin less oily than traditional lotion sun screens. For me this is still very moisturizing and definitely gives me a greasy face once applied even if I only use about a dime sized amount for my whole face (which is probably not enough to get the full 50 SPF stated on the bottle since you always need to use ridiculous amounts of product to get the SPF on the label). The plus side to using a liquid is that I find this very easy to spread evenly over the face. I do not notice any white cast to this product either which is nice.

Normal to dry skins will probably like this more than oily/combination types though that's not saying much since those skin types always do better with these kinds of emollient sun screens than other skin types. For oily skins this is just another over-moisturizing sun screen no better or worse than most other kinds of sun screen.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/25/2011 5:18:00 PM More reviews by cbenjamin313

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is the best sunscreen I've ever used. I'm biracial but freckle so I use sunscreen every day and high SPF during the Texas summer. This sinks right into the skin and doesn't leave a whitish cast to the skin. I highly recommend this to olive and darker skinned women who want to protect their skin without looking ashy!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/5/2011 9:00:00 PM More reviews by SweetMoonbeams

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I'm a fair redhead and need a sunscreen everyday. I'm all about prevention, but hated wearing sunscreen under makeup because I could never find one with a high SPF that didn't make the foundation look "off". This is perfect for me. It has a slight floral scent to me but it fades quickly and isn't very strong. This is the only moisturizer I use in the morning. I use Weleda Skin Food at night and don't cleanse my face in the morning, I just wipe my eyes with a damp washcloth to get rid of the morning crusties :) The Skin Food is so moisturizing that this sunscreen is the only thing I need in the mornings. For reference, my skin is combination, but the drier areas get patchy without proper moisturizing. With this regime, I don't get dry patches and my makeup doesn't accentuate them either. I'm really happy with this product and will continue to repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/17/2011 9:07:00 AM More reviews by SugarFreeSheila

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Color: None. Clear! No white cast at all.

Texture/Finish: Thin and watery. Applying the teaspoon (i.e., 1.2mL) derm-recommended minimum to the face alone, I would call the consistency of this sunscreen more oily than sticky. The finish is shiny, but not overly so.

Pill Factor: None. But given the above point, it might prove necessary to wear a thin, matte-finish foundation in an effort to cut down on the shine.

Eye Sensitivity Factor: I ask a lot of my sunscreens, and insist on applying SPF over the upper eyelid, as well as all the way up to the lower lash line - and being extremely comfortable with that straight to bedtime when I wash my face. No all-out eye sting from Healthy Defense Liquid Moisturizer SPF50 for me; however, I will say that I got that almost-watery eye feeling later in the day. Worth noting.

Protection: Helioplex is not as strong a UVA filter as Mexoryl (both are almost always paired with Avobenzone/Parsol 1789 in sunscreens); but overall, I would rate this sunscreen quite well for its U.S.-level filters and especially its cosmetic elegance. I've had better with Euro facial sunscreens; but in the U.S., I am accustomed to a LOT worse. So well done, Neutrogena.

Active Ingredients: Avobenzone (3%), Homosalate (4%), Octisalate (5%), Octocrylene (5%), Oxybenzone (4%)

Inactive Ingredients: Water, Glycerin, C12 15 Alkyl Benzoate, Cetyl Dimethicone, Silica, Styrene Acrylates Copolymer, Steareth 100, Ethylhexl Glycerin, Steareth 2, Dimethicone, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance, Caprylyl Glycol, Disodium EDTA, Diethylhexyl 2 6 Naphthalate, Xanthan Gum , Mannan, BHT, Beta Glucan (Oat Flour), Pentylene Glycol, Chlorphenesin

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/6/2011 11:06:00 PM More reviews by thecharm

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

This is my favorite chemical sunscreen. I'm generally really sensitive to stinging and heat when I apply chemical sunscreens, but I haven't had that issue with this sunscreen yet. I was intrigued by the claims that it is lightweight and "liquid," and I was not disappointed. It's a white liquid--think the consistency of a rather thin liquid foundation. It's not clear. It's not water. It's definitely "product," but a product that is easy to spread on my face. It doesn't seem to go on with a cast (but then, I am ultra pale.) Wonder of wonders, it dries quickly, it doesn't feel sticky or heavy, and it works very well under makeup! I hate it when sunscreen pills when I put foundation over it. This sunscreen formula is the least gross chemical sunscreen that I have ever tried. Hoo frickin' ray.