September 30, 2014 | 1004 users online

Hair Treatments - Oshima Tsubaki Oil

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/16/2014 11:32:00 AM More reviews by Natashia

I am a bit unsure how to rate this . I like the fact that the oil is pure , light , no scent and inexpensive . Yet I find it hard to use . I usually end up overusing leaving me with an oily look .

rated 5 of 5 on 4/5/2014 10:00:00 PM More reviews by yuia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Product Description: 100% Camellia Japonica seed oil from Japan is the natural way to restore moisture and sheen to hair with just a few drops.

Ingredients: Camellia Japonica Seed Oil

Pros:
- excellent cost performance (comes in 20ml/540 yen, 40ml/972 yen, 60ml/1404 yen and 120ml/2160 yen)
- you seriously only need a few drops; my hair is just over shoulder length and I use 2 drops
- easy to apply; rub oil on hands and run hands through hair
- gives natural healthy hair look and feel; don't expect salon finish
- next to no smell

Cons (but not really):
- I'm not sure if I could finish the 40ml bottle using only 2 drops at a time before the oil goes off but I'm glad that there are different sizes to choose from
- since this is so well-known and so popular, other companies have jumped on board. Kurobara has almost the same packaging as Oshima, I almost bought the wrong one until I noticed the kanji

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/14/2014 1:19:00 AM More reviews by lotusfairy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I forgot to write a review for this for the longest time. I found this at my local Chinatown for $20 plus tax. It makes a very good conditioning oil for me. It is very thick in viscosity and you will only need to use a little bit but this stuff is wonderful. It really makes my hair gleam and softens while controlling frizz. I have tried many oils from Joico, Redken, Dermorganic, etc and this remains one of my top five favorite oils because it actually sinks in well and conditions my hair. My hair is left feeling and looking healthy. I prefer to apply it to my wet hair and then let it marinate during the day before shampooing it out. If your hair is normal to coarse and on the dry side, you might like this. The bottle is glass and it has an opening for the oil to pour out from. It is also 100% pure camelia oil with a light scent so it's a good bargain.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/12/2013 10:27:00 PM More reviews by Fluffysealion

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I purchased this tsubaki oil for my dry ends. It gives me hair a nice shine and keeps it soft. I massage it into my wet hair after a shower. However, I find that it is a bit difficult to spread as once it touches the hair, it likes to stay in that spot. The spots where the oil settles also looks quite oily to me when it dries. I solved this problem by mixing tsubaki oil into other hair oils or creams and then putting it in my hair. This spread the product more easily and prevented my hair from looking oil.

I also use this oil on my face since I have dry skin. The oil is fantastic for moisturising my face and soaks straight in. It soaks in a little too well probably as I have to spread the oil really quickly over my face before it's all gone.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/6/2013 1:46:00 AM More reviews by r00ski

I didn't want to like camelia oil.

I bought it to put in the ends of my hair.. that's it! "I don't need any other facial oils. I've got a bathroom full of SK-II, La mer, et cetera. I'll only buy this for my dry ends of my fine hair and maybe use it as a hot oil treatment because I had read somewhere the island where camelia oil is harvested the japanese women there have ridiculously long hair because they do hot oil treatments with camelia oil all the time." Why use it on my face? I like spending lots of money on skincare.. I love the luxurious packaging, I love the glow my face gets, but I'm a hoarder of beauty products and especially hair care (born with weak baby fine hair, and have decided to try and grow it out to waist length so I need all the help I can get here) so after reading a few reviews I wanted to give this a try.

Anyway.

So I bought a bottle for about $20 from a guy from Japan vie eBay. It comes in a really cute bottle, not too big, but this stuff you only need a few drops off so it will last for aaaaages. So far so good. Put it on the ends of my hair. The consistency of it is obviously oily but not at all greasy. Then I read it's molecular structure is really close to that of skin (or something like that) so our skin just drinks it in. Also it acts as a UV barrier. So I tried to put it on my face.

If my SK-II cellumination cream didn't cost so much I would've thrown it out of the window then and there!

Seriously. 1 or two drops daily in the morning for sun protection and 1 or 2 drops at night to moisturize is all I need. Same glow as my beloved cellumination cream. This stuff is fantastic. Makes my skin sooooo soft and firm, and the bottle lasts forever and saves me so much money since it's so cheap. Don't overdo it with more than 2 drops because then it's just too much. 1 or 2 and it sinks right in. Amazing.

Just try it! This stuff is seriously the bomb. Can't see myself living without it from now on.

Next I will try it as a hot oil treatment for my hair.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/13/2013 5:17:00 AM More reviews by MichikoFliz

I accidentally bought the Kurobara brand that seriously looks exactly the same as this in terms of packaging. But it is also 100% tsubaki oil so I can't imagine the effects to be any different. I just finished the bottle and I really love it for its smoothing and softening effects. The oil is light and golden. I find it leaves my hair feeling smoother than when I apply coconut oil as a leave-in conditioner. It doesn't smell nice like coconut oil but that is a small drawback.

It is quite inexpensive (around $10 a bottle) and is worth it because I use 4 drops on my long hair and the bottle lasted me 7 months. I would repurchase, but this time I will make sure I get the Oshima brand to see if there is a difference.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2013 10:14:00 AM More reviews by fdl56

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This is a quintessential Japanese hair product that has been around for a really long time. I like to apply it on my damp hair and the next day my hair is smoother and shinier. Lots of shampoos/conditioners use this as an ingredient (like the Shiseido ones), but I think the real deal is better. I have shoulder long hair and 3-4 drops is good enough for me (sometimes it can get too greasy). A bottle lasts a long time and only costs something like $15 in Japan! There are also other brands of tsubaki oil but I've never tried them.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/15/2012 6:20:00 AM More reviews by Frostblade

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Amazing product. Better than argan oil.

I have to use about 5 drops for my hair because there is so much of it.

My hair looks better. I've used Fekkai, Phyto, Kevin Murphy products and my hair doesn't feel any better, but this makes a huge difference.

I put about 4 drops on my hand and rub them together and then I apply this to my hair and my hands don't feel greasy afterwards and it probably doubles as a hand cream for winter.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2011 11:18:00 PM More reviews by dll307

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This oil makes my hair super soft and shiny. I have thick, long, frizzy, wavy hair and I use the tsubaki oil once or twice a month as a treatment before shampooing. I completely soak my hair in the oil (about 3-4 tablespoons), comb through, and tie up for an hour or so. After a regular washing my hair feels super moisturized and looks shiny and thick. I also use a few drops on my ends after blow drying. I love that this oil is rich but has no smell. Great value as well.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/5/2010 4:48:00 AM More reviews by queenarach

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I used to have dry, wavy hair.
But after switching up my hairnets regime where I use about 6 drops for my hips length hair. I get smooth as silk hair that's easy to comb through, shiny, strong ends, and overall healthier looking hair.
This oil is very light, it's viscosity is that of a very light olive oil. The container is super easy to use, and the bottle will last you for ages. It is also supposed to be good for you face but I haven't been brave enough yet.