April 17, 2014 | 1720 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Root Rescue

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/27/2014 10:07:00 AM More reviews by marhope78

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Waste of money - I have a lot of graying at my roots and all this did was lightly tint them.... so they still stood out among my otherwise medium brown hair even after leaving it on 20 minutes instead of 10-15. The Clairol and Revlon versions are much better. I only tried this because it was on sale. Live and learn, I suppose!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/19/2014 3:54:00 PM More reviews by rushdoggie

Lots of negative reviews which surprised me. This is not meant to be a whole head color, just a quick touch up betweens.

I get my hair professionally colored mostly due to wanting good highlights and having hard to cover gray. But its pricey and I have a cut that doesn't require a lot of trims so I get 10-12 weeks out of each cut/color with the root touch up.

I have tried several shades that seems to be appropriate with my colored dark auburn with many highlights hair and all have blended well. I have hard to cover gray and it coats them and keeps it looking good so I can squeak an extra 4 weeks from my cut/color.

Surprised that so many complained about it being hard to apply, because I found it easy to use, yes you also have to squish the color down even with the applicator but it was overall less mess than the Clairol. Yes, its stinky but most haircolor is. No there is not a lot in there but its enough to cover my part and my temples and its quick and easy to apply.

Its on clearance at Target and Fred Meyer, I suspect its about to be discontinued and I am sad, the Clairol doesnt cover my grays.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/23/2013 6:12:00 PM More reviews by ouqtinvu

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I didn't read the reviews before I bought this in #4 - dark brown - interestingly enough the reviews for #4 are generally good so maybe they have a better formula for that one - Here's what I don't get - It costs as much if not more then a box of hair coloring. The only difference is the bottle and that comb-like top. You get very little product - I had barely enough to do the roots at my crown and the sides of my head. I found that comb applicator to be very annoying and ended up using my fingers to blend the color on - oh that's right - just like you do with regular hair coloring - anyway - it drips all over the place and it smells awful. I left it on 15 minutes then rinsed and shampooed out and blew dry my hair after using a whole lot of conditioner. First of all it's black - maybe it will lighten as I wash it - it covered most of the gray nicely but left some strands untouched which I don't mind because it looks more natural then solid black. I just don't get the point when for the same money or less you can buy a whole box of color to do your roots - believe me when I tell you they are stingy with the product. Not a color disaster but I won't purchase it again.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/26/2013 7:45:00 PM More reviews by beware5289

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I just got done using this. I bought the light golden brown. I hate the applicator, my hair kept getting tangled in it and it kept dripping all over. It says leave in 10 minutes, I left it for 15. I washed my hair and my gray roots were as gray as they were before. It did absolutely nothing. I've never used this product but I dye my hair all the time and this has never happened.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/5/2013 9:12:00 PM More reviews by Annyutka

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

Brief background on my hair:
I am blonde - naturally - but in the winter my roots (first 1-2" or so) grow out a lot darker than the rest of my hair does...yay au naturel ombre! Syke. I hate it. In the summer, though, or if I were to live in a climate where it's always sunny, my hair gets easily bleached by the sun super fast. But yeah, in the winter not so much and therefore the roots look like that light dishwater blonde color..also my hair is a coolish-toned blonde all the way through.
So I thought this would be a good winter pick-me-up for my strands, so I bought it. I applied it. It looked pretty darn a-ok! Yay for cheap, easy root dye! However, a few days later it began turning pretty brassy and developed into a fairly obvious WARM tone blonde, which is fine for someone with a warmer blonde color to begin with, but looked pretty "meh" with my cool tone hair. Luckily, it wasn't tooooo uber noticeable to the general population, but a hairdresser or anyone who's into hair would notice the discrepancy right away. Plus, it bothered me every time I looked in the mirror. Thankfully, it pretty much faded out but by that time spring had arrived and I could definitely have lived without it.
Not disastrous but disappointing. Sorry, kinda TMI and long.

Summary:
Overall this product is mediocre, IMHO.
Turns blonde/dark blonde roots warm (if cool/neutral) and fairly brassy.
Will not repurchase.
And the blue comb-y applicator blows, and if you have fine hair (like I do) or relatively dry hair, it could cause some difficulty pulling it through.

Reviewed on February 5, 2013
By Annyutka

rated 2 of 5 on 2/3/2013 7:24:00 AM More reviews by kngfrank

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Good price but washed out too quickly, even while using L'Oréal shampoo and conditioner designed for dry hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2013 6:11:00 PM More reviews by vacationprincess1

I am 53 yrs old and have been coloring my hair professionally since I was in my 30's. I have no idea what all the fuss is about regarding this product! It is AMAZINGLY quick, clean and effective and costs a lot less than going to a salon for a temporary fix. I used L'Oreals Root Rescue #4 and it worked perfectly that last week and a half before having to go to the salon for my monthly cut and color. I LOVE this product and will stock up on it to use every month. The color applied easily with little mess and matched my color perfectly. (What is this "orange" problem everyone is talking about)?
This product will be a staple in my household for years to come! Thank you L'Oreal!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/2/2013 8:45:00 PM More reviews by cjsmommasan

I really like this product:

~It does not stink as bad as most hair color
~I find the applicator really easy
~The price is great for a touchup
~Good gray coverage
~Color match is decent

I always buy it BOGO at Walgreens.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/13/2012 4:00:00 PM More reviews by jedipeach

despite the bad reviews, i decided to try it myself and be unhappy. well, let me tell you, this is the second time i buy it and it works great for my hair. i am 42 and mostly 60-70% gray/white hair. i color my hair every month for the past 5 years. i read lots of reviews about the color turning out red/orange or just overall bad. what i did do, is i covered my hair with coconut oil before coloring. i added the product on top of the oil and waited 25 min. for my resistant hair. it is barley enough to cover the important areas, but still plendy enough to rub all over the roots. i washed it off and wouldn't you know it...it turned out GREAT! it looks sooo natural!! and it blends in with the rest of my hair color. i also hightlight, but nonetheless, it blends in well. thanks to this product, i saved my badly dry hair 2 months of rest without having to color. both times of using this has turned out great. I do recommend. oh, i used the dark brown color. hope this helps anyone who is thinking of buying. i was scared at first because of the reviews, but i figured...i just recolor with regular hair dye and that would be the end. it is about the same price as a full bottle, and my husband thinks its silly to spend that much for a quarter of the product. i tell him i don't mind because my idea is to not color my entire hair as often.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/25/2012 6:09:00 PM More reviews by mam311

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I tried this color in medium brown, it did nothing. I kept it on for 15 minutes, still had plenty of grey hair when I was done. I only used it because I cant do my regular L'oreal Excellence color which takes 45 min. Anyhow, I wouldnt recommend this to anyone.