October 23, 2014 | 1227 users online

Palettes - Revlon - Multi-Use Palette

rated 4.0(1 review)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/3/2010 11:29:00 PM More reviews by RitaPerfect

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Black

This is the Multi-Use Palette that came out in the Suede Rhapsody Fall 2010 Collection. I was so excited when I spotted this at CVS because it looked so cute! It's a small and compact black square palette with a clear plastic flip top. There's a shimmery white highlighter shade on the top left, and a shimmer-free coral-salmon blush on the top right. The bottom contains a shimmery brownish-aubergine cream eyeshadow on the left, and a shimmer-free slate gray on the right. Then the bottom layer of the palette comes with an intense-looking red lip color that can be pulled out from the side. It also comes with a tiny lip brush.

I think the real winner of this little palette is the lip color. While it looks like a super bright true red shade (the exact type of bold red you would expect to see on a geisha), the blue undertone comes out rather nicely and tones the red down to a pretty berry-red shade. This stuff is highly pigmented, so I dab my finger in the pan once or twice and then gently tap it across my lips. Then I rub/blend out the color and watch as the color blooms into a stain-like finish. I know some people worry about red turning bright fuchsia on them, but this doesn't happen with this product (at least, not on me). The finish is a very sophisticated matte, so you don't have to worry about having overly glossy red lips that look too garish. I think this lip color is perfect for the wintertime!

The two eyeshadows aren't my favorites because they don't last long at all, but what can you expect from a cream formula, right? The brownish-aubergine is on the sheer side and doesn't do much for my NC30 skin tone, other than add a slight shadow and shimmer to my eyes. I was also hoping for a bolder aubergine color (it's more like cooked eggplant, really) but instead, it shows up as more of a brown on me. I also experienced creasing after a little while, but I haven't tried it with a primer yet. I think this color is nice if you're going for a professional and not too overdone look, and you're willing to do touch-ups throughout the day. The slate gray eyeshadow is shimmer-free, which I didn't like. I tried adding the shimmer white highlighter on top of it, but that just resulted it the gray being blended out completely since these creams have too much "slip" in them, preventing you from doing a blended eyeshadow look because they mix together or blend away other shades. However, if overlooking this fact, I did end up liking the slate gray because it is much more pigmented than the aubergine, so I am able to apply it to my lids more quickly without having to dip my finger in the pan over and over again to pick up more product. I have only tried these eyeshadows using my fingers, so I don't know if they will work better with a brush. I also have no idea if they will wear better if an eyeshadow primer, but it never hurts to try.

The highlighter and the brush were surprising loves for me. I didn't think I would have any use for such a tiny square of shimmery white cream until I discovered that it works really well as an inner corner eye brightener! It really helps open up my eyes and flatters any eyeshadow color that I'm wearing. I just dab a little bit of it with my finger and then lightly tap it into the inner corners. This is a lot easier than applying a powdered highlighter with a brush. I take extra caution not to smudge my eyeshadow, especially if I'm wearing one of the accompanying cream shadows (see the problem of overblending above). The shimmer particles are gold and rather noticeable, so I don't like using this on my face. I didn't have high hopes for the blush at all and I wasn't even planning on using it because I normally don't wear any coral blushes. However, this blush shows up on my skin as a pretty apple-pink color with a hint of warmth! It looks so fresh and girly! My only gripe is that I wish it would last longer.

Overall, this palette wasn't bad for only $6.99. I think Revlon comes out with some great limited edition items in their collections and they are worth collecting if you happen to like the colors or think the product itself is unique. It's the second option for me with this palette. I will continue to use this for the gorgeous wintery red lipcolor, the useful white highlighter, and occasionally the blush, but the eyeshadows will have to be things I just play with from time to time.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No