September 30, 2014 | 1930 users online

Styling Products - Kinky Curly - Spiral Spritz

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/23/2013 6:58:00 AM More reviews by LovelyNo5

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

At first I didn't like this. I applied it to almost dry hair and it made my hair stiff, dull and frizzy. I have curly, coarse hair to begin with and I don't like any kind of stiffness added. So the next time I applied it to towel dried hair and it was a completely different story. I put 4-5 spritzes of this gel/serum in my palms and smooth it over the hair, then another 3-4 spritzes and bend over to run my fingers through the hair from the nape and to squeeze up my curls. Then I put my hair up in a pineapple and let it dry like that for a few hours or overnight. This gives me shiny, bouncy curls for 2-3 days. Most of the time I add just a tiny bit of John Master's Pomade to seal in the moisture, and these two products work well together. I find that adding KCSS to dry hair (like on the 3rd day) doesn't work for me, I get stiff curls and they lose their sheen. It's better to just add some more of JM's pomade or just a spray of water or two to revive the curls.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/6/2013 6:50:00 PM More reviews by klban

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My good news about this product is that it does come thru for 2nd hair if I slightly dampen my hair and then rub it on my hands and and scrunch it in. I don't have to douse my head---I often just mist with water or even splash some cold water on my hair while I'm washing my face. It doesn't get too crunchy, seems to add some shine (which is great for my greyer curls) and will define my ringlets once again. And I agree, it is no spray--you have to pump it into your hand to apply.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/12/2012 2:47:00 PM More reviews by JCakuls

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Kinky Curly Perfectly Polished Nourishing Hair Oil Review:
(didn't know how to add it separately on MUA :)

This is an amazing blend of natural oils. It has no preservatives or synthetics listed in the ingredients, and it smells fresh and subtle, like a mix of apricots and nuts (apricot oil is one of the main ingredients, and so is argan oil). It hydrates the hair but it is very dense for a hair oil: one pump is too much for my hair (which is long, and I have a TON of it :) and it has no silicones, so there's no slip nor a lot of spreading, once applied, of the product on the hair: so use VERY little (like the size of a grain of rice) at first and apply to sections of hair, if you use it on damp hair that's ready to be styled. You may not need any other creams or defrizzers after using this, since it is straight-up oil.

Where this products REALLY knocks my socks off is it's awesomeness as a body oil. I apply one pump to each part of my limbs (one for forearms, one for upper arms/shoulders, etc.) and it sinks into the skin, but the oil also adheres to the skin without being sticky, and it feels almost magnetized to the dermis. So it feels like incredibly intense hydration. MAGNIFICENT. I've also used it in the shower as a pre-shave oil for my shins/calves (after blotting excess water with a washcloth), and then applying my shave cream (Alba botanical and Giovanni make excellent natural choices) and I am super-hydrated, nick-free, closely-shaven and with ZERO skin irritation. This may make the most fantastic body oil I've ever tried. Olive oil hydrates my skin, no doubt; but it leaves a coating on my skin (if I use it as a body hydrator) that seems to never fully absorb, even hours later, and grapeseed oil is wonderful but the same dilemma exists.

The pump dispenser works great; the top twists and locks so you can avoid it being depressed; and the amount is sizable so I can imagine it taking a few months to finish this container. So, SO worth trying - I love it!!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/15/2012 12:16:00 AM More reviews by SammyXO

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Firstly, this is in no way a *spritz*. Because the product is so thick and gel-like, the spray nozzle becomes in effect a pump nozzle, like on a serum. And that is how I like to use this product: as a silicone-free serum.

I find if I use this on dry hair, it can get crunchy, so I use this on towel-dried hair after all my other products. I put a few pumps in my palm with a drop of oil (jojoba, coconut, argan, etc), rub my hands together, and work it through my damp hair. It helps define my curls and waves without the intense hold of a gel.

I will say, however, that the price is just ridiculous for something that isn't an absolute miracle. I can't see myself repurchasing it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/22/2010 2:58:00 PM More reviews by OmToast

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

For reference, I have shoulder-length, wavy/curly hair that is extremely coarse and thick. I do not use chemical color. I love the KC line, and the spiral spritz is no exception. I like to wear my hair naturally . . . Large. . . And just generally crazy. But despite its coarseness and thickness, it's very heavy and the curl pulls out easily. SS totally knocks out the frizz, without taming my hair as much as the curly custard. I use as my primary styler, on damp hair. Just rake, shake, and scrunch. As noted, it's in a spritzer bottle, but it's a thin gel consistency, so you have to shoot it into your palms (i use 2-3 spritzes) and then apply. Despite rendering the name functionally questionable, it controls product amount really well, and i like it very much for that reason. Gives a great shine boost, too. A definite repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/8/2010 2:52:00 PM More reviews by nance8979

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love, love, love this frizz serum! I bought it protect against frizz (which it does well), but it has the added bonus of giving my curls a definition that they have not seen in a very long time. The only downside is that the "spray" bottle doesn't spray. It shoots out like a gun, so do not spray directly at hair. I squirt 5 or 6 shots into my hands and rub together and then run though my wet hair. I know some people use it to refresh second day curls, but that has not worked for me. But I will buy again and again for the frizz protection and definition! And at $12 for an 8 oz. bottle, it is a steal compared to other frizz serums that cost as much for only 2 oz.!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/1/2010 12:19:00 PM More reviews by finch96

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

For reference, my hair is bra strap length, curly/wavy (2c-3b...it's a mix), moderately coarse, moderately thick, and DRY. I use only demi permanent hair dye about every 8 weeks or so, and follow the modified curly girl method (meaning I use sulfate free shampoos for clariying and products with water soluble silicones). I purchased this at Target for approximately $11.99 USD.

I originally purchased this product to use it for second day hair, hoping to finally not have to completely re-wet my hair in order to wear it curly. This product is aloe vera based, and lightly lavender scented. It comes in a spray bottle, but the product does not dispense in an even, fine spray, as it is too thick for this. Instead it dispenses in a small, sharp stream. I found that the only way I could evenly apply it to my hair was to spray the product into my hand, rub it between my palms, and scrunch/rake in. It becomes slightly sticky as it dries, so you must work quickly when working with it because of this.

Unfortunately, it did not work for second day hair for me. I had to use so much product to make the curl 'bounce back,' that I had to hit my hair with the diffuser for a few minutes any way. This sort of nullified the idea of 2nd day hair, IMO. Once it dried, my curls were not as springy as they were the day before, but sort of stretched out and limp. If you think your curls are too tight, and want them stretched out, this might be ideal for you. For me, however, it gave my hair the appearance of a dying spiral perm, which I find very unattractive. I ended up wearing my hair in a clip the rest of the day.

As a mid day curl refresher, though, it is great! I use a few pumps (about 5 or 6) of the spray into my hand and scrunch it into my hair, and it refreshes my curls beautifully. It dries in about 10 minutes, with no visible residue or flakes. I also used it as a primary styling product on 1st day hair. I used it with a firm hold gel layered over it (HE set me up), and the results were wonderful. My hair was not weighed down, the curls were nicely formed and soft, and my hair felt divine to run my fingers through. Drying time was also considerably shorter.

My overall recommendation for this product is to use it as either a mid day curl refresher and/or use it as a primary styling product on 1st day hair. It is a nice product to have in your arsenal, and worth trying. Will most likely repurchase.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No