October 24, 2014 | 1596 users online

Gels/Soaps - Cetaphil - Restoraderm Skin Restoring Body Wash

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2014 10:45:00 PM More reviews by shandwork

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is a very good moisturizing, nonirritating BODY wash, I can't use it on my face with rosacea. After one use got rid of dry, itchy, ashy winter skin on my legs and arms. Have to agree with orther reviewers it is a bit pricey for a drugstore body wash, but coupons for $3 off can be found.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/19/2013 1:42:00 PM More reviews by lianegraham

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I absolutely LOVE this stuff. I have eczema and I'm really sensitive, so I love how gentle it is. It does foam up nicely, but I do find I have to use a lot, and it's not cheap, considering it's a drugstore item. I'm not sure I would repurchase at full price, but if I can't find something comparable at a lower price point than I don't really see another option.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/30/2012 10:06:00 PM More reviews by happymerlot

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Grey

This is one of the best body washes I've ever tried. It ended up not totally agreeing with my skin, but it's already a huge improvement over all the scented body washes out there. It has some wonderfully moisturizing ingredients, and no irritating essential oils, fragrances or dyes.

There is a little bit of lathering action, which may have been the culprit, so I've had better luck with Aquanil and CeraVe cleansers (which I use as body wash and face wash).

So even though I personally won't buy this again, I would recommend it if you're looking for a gentle, non-drying, non-irritating wash; this should be on your list of products to try.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/4/2012 12:55:00 PM More reviews by JessieWW

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have advanced rosacea and SD and tried this out of desperation as my face reacts badly to so many cleansers.
The FIRST time I used it, it seemed to work well and removed the dry patches of skin without causing a reaction.

The third time I used it, my face flamed and the rosacea stayed much worse for days. This is when I finally got bright enough to peel off the label and read the ingredients (Note: I hate companies hiding ingredients behind a label) and saw that tocopheryl acetate was in the middle of the ingredients--this is a skin sensitizer which means you can use it without problem at first and then it may hit you with repeated use.

From the truthinaging website: "Tocopheryl Acetate.....The CIR finds that there is strong evidence that it is a human skin toxicant, and in vitro tests on mammalian cells showed positive mutation results, linking it to cancer.

It has also been determined that Tocopheryl Acetate is a skin sensitizer that can instigate immune system responses that can include itching, burning, scaling, hives, and blistering of skin, according to The Natural Skincare Authority. A study published in Contact Dermatitis found that four cases of contact dermatitis were caused by cosmetic creams that contained Tocopheryl Acetate."

I wish more companies would pull tocopheryl acetate from their products--and it's found in many, many cosmetics.

NOTE: This does say body wash versus face wash, but my dermatologist said he'd recommended it to patients for their face.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/14/2011 9:30:00 AM More reviews by wallochj

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is a Godsend! It is by FAR the most moisturizing and gentle body wash my family has ever used. My son sees a dermatologist for his eczema that he has suffered with since birth. Before this, we could only use plain cetaphil and aveeno body oil in his bath. He is allergic to everything! This has helped his skin retain needed moisture and reduced the itching tremendously. I am currently using it on my acne prone face after it was dried out and irritated from a chemical peel. The flaking stopped and my face was soothed. HG for SURE.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/19/2010 12:29:00 PM More reviews by SusieQ40

This is pretty good stuff and lives up to its claims. However, it is fairly expensive (approx. $14) for what it is, and the Eucerin Calming Body Wash (shower oil) is equally as effective for about half the price of the Cetaphil Restoring Body Wash. I would definitely buy this again if need be if I could not find the Eucerin body wash in the gold bottle.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/19/2010 9:04:00 PM More reviews by specialkaye

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been trying to compile a "HG" list of products that my overly- sensitive, bad-natured, hissy-fit-having skin will agree to for a very long time.

All my life, I have suffered from what has been diagnosed as Cholinergic Urticaria (scratches appearing on skin after sweating/exercising) and Dermographism, where long, whelt-like scratches will present themselves on my back and arms for no apparent reason at any time. The scratches look as if someone/something has attacked your skin with a vengence. Needless to say, this causes terrible stinging, burning and inflamed skin and leaves the most unsightly marks.

On the days when these condition occurs (often, although it doesn't happen everyday and is not food-related that I can see), forget about taking a bath or shower because using soap and water on the skin can really be painful.

After having success with Cetaphil's bar soap and moisturizing cream, I decided to try the Restoraderm Skin Restoring Body Wash after finding it on sale at Target. Boy, am I glad I did.

Not only has my skin lost that tight, parched, hyper-sensitive feeling, but many of the old scratch marks on my back and arms seem to be lightening and fading as well. While I will never say it has cured my skin afflictions, this stuff has done more than I currently understand in limiting the occasion and amounts of those breakouts.

Many sincere thanks to Cetaphil; yesiree!! Yeah, this stuff is very expensive but, in my opinion, it's worth every penny. Finally I can add another product to years-long researched, but very, very short "HG" skincare list.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2010 6:07:00 PM More reviews by Bojangles

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Because there are two listings for this product on this website (see Cetaphil Restoraderm Eczema Moisturizing Wash), I am adding a note here too because I want to make sure you run, do not walk, to get this product (along with the moisturizer) if you have dry, sensitive, flaky, reactive skin. I wrote a longer review on the other listing. This product is amazing and it does what it says.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/29/2010 10:32:00 AM More reviews by janet1028

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This fragrance-free, non-soap body wash comes in a 10 oz. bottle and if you look at the Cetaphil website, you'll find coupons and specials. I've been dealing with patches of eczema and dry body skin for years. Most recently, I've been using Free & Clear which I love because of it's LACK of ingredients but it does leave me dry.

I've been using this for about a week and I have to say that it really lives up to the claims. It has a mild foaming action but rinses very thoroughly - which is a big plus for this type of cleanser. (No slipping in the shower which happens with so many other body washes!)

The real test will come in the winter but I think it is worth trying if you have dry body skin. My only negative comment is that 10 ounces is a pretty small bottle. Because I go to the gym, I usually take two showers a day. In a week, I've used a third of the bottle. It could be a serious chunk of change.
EDIT: As much as I think this is a quality product FOR THE RIGHT SKIN TYPE, I can't use it. It caused body breakouts in place that never had breakouts. Too rich, I guess. I've had to switch to Neutrogena's Body Clear to heal these blemishes.