Sephora Purifying Brush Shampoo

2.6

on 10/21/2013 12:40:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

This didn't do anything for my brushes. I used this on all of my brushes, including Sephora's and they got the basic clean, but not deep. I thought my brushes were stained, but the next time I cleaned them, I used my baby shampoo and it got everything and more out. I got the small sizeand it seems that it would last a while, but I mean, it didn't clean... I'd say this is good as a spot treatment, but they gave one already

on 7/29/2013 5:31:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I am so disappointed with this product (the Sephora Purifying Brush Shampoo). I bought this Brush Shampoo AND the Sephora Daily Brush Cleanser, and was told by the SA that I should use the shampoo about once a week.
I was excited about the shampoo and hoping it would make the brushes feel and look CLEAN.
It takes so much product (for each sponge/brush) it doesn't lather well, and I always have to use about 5 pumps of this for each large brush or sponge (twice) and then 3 pumps for the small brushes. I really need to find something better... and I will need one very soon since I have to use so much product! I thought Sephora's product would be a good deal and easy to use, since I find that to be the case with their cleansing water and wipes. Clearly this is not the case with the brush cleansers.

EDIT: As per the recommendations of several other reviewers, I went and bought a large bottle of plain baby shampoo and used this on my brushes the past few times. It is working much better and lathering extremely well. When my Sephora brush cleanser bottles are empty, I will probably refill them with the baby shampoo for travelling.

on 6/14/2013 1:01:00 AM

I like this but I feel like the $3 ELF one works just as good. It cleans the brushes well but many other products do too. It seems to take a long time to fully rinse from the brushes even if i use just a tiny bit. Don't think it's worth the $, but I do think their daily brush cleaner spray is.

on 3/4/2013 12:57:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Other, Cool

It seems people don't like this because it doesn't suds up much. I use no sulfate shampoo for my hair, which also doesn't suds, so I'm using to getting a clean without the bubbles. I thought it worked fairly well. I admit I'm lazy and didn't wash my brushes for a long time, and then I started breaking out (or maybe its pregnancy, who knows, but something is making me have cystic acne again). I had to do a deep cleaning on my brushes, and it did take more shampoo and I had to wash/rinse a few times for some of them, but again, there was a lot of build up. And it even got the dried gel liner off. The brushes dried well, not crunchy.

My only gripe is the pump mechanism feels very stiff and doesn't dispense much each pump.

on 1/17/2012 3:55:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I don't understand why I haven't read a positive review on this brush shampoo. They could have improved the formula since 2010. But I must say that, I LOVE this brush shampoo! It smells clean and a bit "floral-like." It disinfects (shampoo does not), and cleans so well. It is a bit pricey, but it is worth it! I have tried the ELF brush shampoo (terrible! You are better off using plain old Dawn), and MAC brush cleanser, and the Sephora is by far the best one to deep clean with. I have noticed that I don't break out as much after cleaning my brushes with this cleanser, as I did with using the ELF brush shampoo weekly. DO try this product out, it is awesome!

Skin: Dry, Tan, Cool

I have never used a makeup brush cleaner before, but I don't need to to see that this is not the best, in fact- pretty bad. It seemed to cling to the product on the brush so you have to really scrub hard to take it off. It also left a dry clear-glue like residue on the brushes sometimes too. While it did effectivley clean, you have to use alot of product on little eyeshadow brushes for it to feel like it actually does clean. It actually ruined my EL face brush, leaving the once soft bristles hard and clumpy. Now I clean with baby shampoo and use this too just to use up the product.

on 9/27/2010 12:27:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I love keeping my makeup brushes clean. Once a week, I go straight to my regular shampoo, or Dawn dishliquid and gently clean them.
On a whim, while at Sephora I picked up this purifying brush shampoo for $6.00. Personally, it ended up to be a waste of money. First off, it is low-sudsing. I'm the kind of gal who loves suds. Call me strange, but I really feel if a cleaning product is nice and sudsy, I'm in cleanliness heaven. Secondly, you need a lot of product to clean those brushes. That is a waste. I really did not see a lot of makeup come off my brushes, I really had to scrub them a lot.
Needless to say, Dawn, or any regular shampoo will suffice. If you are at Sephora and see this, walk on by and use the six bucks to go toward a MUFE product or a nice lipstick.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools