October 21, 2014 | 975 users online

Treatments (Face) - Botox

rated 5 of 5 on 9/26/2014 1:10:00 PM More reviews by tremson

I absolutely love Botox! I had my first injections right before my 41st birthday and it made all the difference in the world for me. I am now 47 and still have injections every 9 - 12 months. Drawbacks are that it is pricey and the results do wear off in a few months. My results are still visible for about 6 months since I have found a stellar cosmetic surgeon. The doctor I initially went to was good, but for some reason the results didn't last quite as long.

I would recommend Botox to anyone who wants a pick me up. Those pesky crows feet and the lines between the eyes (#11s) can really age a woman and make us feel so down in the dumps.

Also, the injection pain is gone almost immediately and the local anesthetic cream is very effective in controlling the pain of the actual injection. It's worth a try if you are feel that you are looking older on the outside than you feel on the inside.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/20/2014 8:23:00 PM More reviews by blondie1990

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am using botox as a preventative measure against wrinkles. Ever since having my daughter 2 years ago, I have noticed more wrinkles in the crows feet area. I tried so many creams that did nothing. so I bit the bullet and thought I'd try botox. I was very nervous about reacting to it and having swollen eyes for a month after. thankfully this never happened. I had 4 units injected each side which I hardly felt. it took a few days, probably 4, before I really noticed a difference. the left eye crows feet area is perfectly smooth, with the right almost perfect but it is my driving side so is normal to have a deeper wrinkle there. anyway, having my followup today and will ask for another unit or two to top up the right side. very happy with my results and will definitely be having more in a few months time.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/2/2014 7:46:00 PM More reviews by ShoeGal95

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have the annoying "11"s between my eyebrows. Last year, 2 of my kids were getting their wisdom teeth out together (hahaha…been there myself) :-) Anyway, while waiting, I noticed posters all over with a woman with bad "11"s promoting Botox. I asked one of the nurses if someone in their office gave injections. This was an oral surgeon's office. She said, the doctor/oral surgeon did. I thought, why not.
It wasn't wise of me to have this done with him. I felt a bit like a guinea pig :-) After 29 units with a price of $300 (he gave me a discount), he asked me if I squint a lot. Huh??? It took about 7 days to notice a difference. I would have preferred more Botox. The difference was about 50% better. It also wore off before 3 months.
I'd try it again, but only with a specialist in facial injections.
Rule of thumb-don't let a doctor not board certified in cosmetics give you Botox. I feel I wasted my money. On the positive side, it didn't hurt and my kids were ready to go home!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/23/2014 10:02:00 AM More reviews by hoosiermama92

I started getting Botox regularly (every 3-4 months) 4 years ago. I did not have a lot of deep wrinkles but I did have a crease mark in between my eyebrows. I get the Botox injected in my forehead, under and around my eyes, and in between my eyebrows. It usually takes maybe 4 days for me to see the results and they are always fabulous.

I would encourage anyone who wants to get Botox to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Dermatologist. These are professionals who have extensive knowledge of the structure of the face and haven't just taken a weekend course.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/22/2013 7:25:00 AM More reviews by fredrica32

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Had several times in my forehead and between eyes and it is Fabulous! Made me look years younger.Do not go with the cheapest doctor - It is very important to find a someone who knows what she is doing or it will be a waste of money. Ok....I can't give it top prize for price or packaging (ouch)....but will do again and again.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 9/25/2013 5:12:00 AM More reviews by Ryelluc

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I think i'm one of the unlucky ones! i had botox treament for my crows feet 2 weeks ago, and there is only a slight change :( i think its coz i have existing lines already and that my face is quite chubby? so my cheeks are pushing up the crows feet?

I am going for my review tomorrow, i hope that there is some way i can continue treatment, because i feel it could be a good thing for me.

Pain - well no pain for me, was the most easiest treatment every, i was very very very nervous but came away feeling good.

Nurse - i had an experience nurse facilitate my treatment, Im thinking now that i've read these reviews that there could be a few reasons my treatment hasn't worked as one would have hoped. Maybe she had the botox mixed up for a while or it had gone 'bad' some how. I hope it is something like that and that a new batch with give me the results.

I've mostly heard good things about the product and am WILLING to give it another go. I feel positive it might work this time round.

*EDIT* 2 months later I've had a lot of compliments on 'what have you done to your face it looks so refreshed", well i don't know whether that be from the botox or from my skin care regime, either way i'll take the compliments thanks!

THO 2 months later i can feel the effects of botox waring off. HOping for longer results next time.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/7/2013 6:26:00 AM More reviews by Urbanlollygagger

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

You will never get the lift or smoothing effect you get with Botox from creams and serums. NEVER.

I've been receiving Botox injections for the past three years and I'm very happy with the results. I look well rested, my brows have more lift and it has the added benefit of being a long term preventative measure! If your muscles cannot contract you don't form lines!

The injection procedure is annoying painful and I do have a headache for a few days post treatment but, for me, it's a small price to pay.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/9/2013 11:13:00 PM More reviews by Romyw

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

What can be said for Botox besides it works!!
At 38 I was dismayed with a line right in between my brow that had formed over the years...
I got my first Botox treatment that year and have been so pleased with the results.
I don't get many units-just in "the glabella region" to treat the lines between the brows...as it is marketed for and a bit on my forehead. I go in every 3-4 months. Once you start using it, you get coupons and rebates. So, Yes, it costs money, and yes I feel very lucky to be able to get the treatments...but!
I don't fake tan (history of melanoma!), spray tan(use jergens natural glow), do acrylic nails or get manicures/pedicures(do them at home:), or really use any high end products on my face. So for me its all about where do you want to allocate your money?
To justify the cost just think of the money you are wasting on creams and potions monthly that really don't do that much.... (Except for retinol, that in its pure form does work)
Summary:
1) pain, very very very minimal, my derm uses a very tiny gauge needle and it truly doesn't bother me, just a tiny poke.
2) works in 5 days or so, you will feel like you can't furrow your brow, like it is numb sort of...doesn't bother me at all.
3) yes you can get too much put in and you wont be able to lift your brows at all, did not like that feeling... I cant remember how much was used that time, but never again. I use 24 units on mine now, 20 units get dispersed into the glabella region (very standard dose I believe)and 4 go up on the forehead.
4) hope this helps!!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2013 2:24:00 AM More reviews by neurosciguy

People use this BECAUSE IT WORKS. Ladies, I'm a neuroscience major and I can tell you exactly how this works and why it is HANDS DOWN the single best investment you can make in preventing wrinkles.
Wrinkles are caused primarily by simply moving your face. Every time you frown, you cause forehead wrinkles. When you smiles, you get those loverly little crows feet creasing. Over time these creasings become permanently indented into the skin simply because of this repeated folding.
Now, in order for your muscles to move (to cause the wrinkles) a particular neurotransmitter called acetylcholine is fired- this MUST be received by its counterpart in the body for muscles to fire. Botox works as a competitive antagonist, which means it occupies the receptors where acetylcholine would normally land, so it just goes right back to where it came from. No ACh reception, no muscle firing, no wrinkles forming.
You may have noticed I said "forming." That's because that's really what this is best for; as a preventative treatment. While it may soften very very thin wrinkles if you're in your 20's by simply taughtening the skin a bit, it WILL NOT eliminate deep-set wrinkles. Sorry, but the only way to really get rid of them permanently at that point is to go under the knife.
I've had it for about a month and a half in my crow's feet area (they looked like crow's feet of an ever-smiling 35-year-old, and I'm only 21) and I saw a friend who's beauty-conscious like me and he instantly noticed that they were GONE. I didn't even mention anything to him.
Topicals like creams and serums are good but they simply can't replicate the effect of something injected into the skin and anyone selling you a product claiming that it does is a LIAR or CHARLATAN. The "frozen face" thing is something out of the movies, your face won't really get stuck like that. Also I advise going to an ACTUAL doctor and doing your homework; having stuff put under your skin with a needle is not something you want to find to cheapest person for. Hope this helps!

12 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/30/2013 5:34:00 PM More reviews by combatmedicwife

I LOVE Botox.
You hear the horror stories, you see the celebrities with obvious botox and it's easy to be turned off. But I'm here to tell you it's nothing short of miraculous, and no product you can smear on your face compares to it.
I take good care of my skin. But I'm not immune to the effects of gravity and genetics.
My mom has the two little vertical lines between the eyebrows and now they are permanent. I started to notice that if I'd had a particularly stressful day that the same lines would start to show up and would last awhile. I would try to consciously not furrow my brow, but it's impossible to not do. I know that with time and given the chance they will become etched in my skin and nobody wants to look angry when they're not.
So, on a referral to a local skin clinic from my esthetician I decided to try it. 15 units to the brow and and some of that used to subtly lift my brows. Emphasis on subtle.
Boy am I impressed! I am mostly using Botox prophylactically. The inability to furrow my brow has given my skin a break to repair the creasing damage from frowning, and now my collagen stimulating products can really do their job. If I keep up this regiment I will never develop wrinkles on my forehead.
Now- no wrinkles and the job was so well done that my doesn't have the typical tight Botox look. Just smooth young skin.
I am definitely getting this every 3-6 months. My advice is to go back and get another injection whenever you see the lines starting to form again. Treat yourself (I caught a speical and spent $140) and you won't be sorry. If I can stretch it to every 6 months then I'm only spending a little over $20 a month.
If wrinkles don't have a chance to develop, they will never be there. It will help if you already have wrinkle damage but ideally it should be used when wrinkles first start to appear.
I am not above getting a facelift someday when I need it, but the goal is to prolong that as much as possible because realistically you can only get one in a lifetime- any more and it starts to look like you got your face done at the morgue.
Try letting a nurse do it, they have tend to have a gentler touch than the docs when injecting and if they use Botox themselves, they know what they're doing. Call around and see what specials clinics are offering. If you go to an esthetician or spa, ask around there- they will know who does a good job. Go to a professional and follow their advice and guidelines. Each person's needs are different.
I place the efficacy of Botox well above any amount of spa treatments and all prescription creams including retin-A. Nothing short of serious surgery can achieve what Botox can do.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No