August 21, 2014 | 1712 users online

Liquid - Revlon - Colourstay in Buff

rated 5 of 5 on 8/8/2014 1:44:00 AM More reviews by Hadele

This review is for the NEW formula Revlon Colorstay in Buff (with a pump) for combination/dry skin.

This has been my go to foundation now for about three years. The colour is a perfect warm pale for countering my pinkish tones and blends particularly well when I am slightly fake tanned. The texture is quite thick but this ensures that the coverage is... AMAZING! This stuff covers up my many many dark scars from dermatillomania.
The finish is dewy yet matte enough not to need a setting powder.
It hasn't broken me out in my many years of using in, unlike some other reviews I much prefer the new formula as it is more blendable, lighter and the fragrance doesn't smell as strong.

I wouldn't say that it's 24hours but it definitely lasts 8 hours without need for any touch ups.

The price is only three stars for me because I live in Australia, and here is it $37.
I'm still happy to pay this though, as this the product works wonders for me.

For me, this foundation is BETTER than Mac Studio Fix Fluid (NC15), which I swapped to for a while but had to change after it gave me serious acne in just a week. There's a reason they call it Macne.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/9/2014 11:12:00 PM More reviews by treradical

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

The best drugstore foundation, imo. I used to use it with a beauty blender before I decided I wanted to use tinted moisturizers instead of heavy foundations since my skin really isn't that bad. Gives good and buildable coverage. Really great shade selection too.
This stuff is great and really does last a long time. The only things I hated about it were the smell and packaging.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/9/2014 4:32:00 PM More reviews by kyl77

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This review is for the 2014 version for normal/dry skin. I really love this formula. It's super light and provides seemless sheer to medium buildable coverage. The finish is somewhat matte. So, you don't have to powder afterwards unless you want a super matte finish. The main reason I bought this was because of the color. Buff was highly recommended on some other sites for redheads because it has yellow undertones. I wanted something that was light enough with warm enough tones to look natural with my fair skin and auburn hair. The color is spot on. The subtle yellow undertones blend seemlessly with my ivory coloring without looking too light or too dark. The little bit of yellow in the formula also gets rid of any redness I might have while remaining natural looking. Colourstay's formula really lasts too.I can wear it all day without needing any touch ups. Another bonus is the price. I got a generous sized bottle at Kroger's for about $10.00 bucks. The only downside is the bottle. I actually like that the bottle is clear glass because you can see the color choices really well. Glass is also easier to recycle. I only wish the bottle came with a pump top. However, I like this foundation so well, I wasn't going to remove points just because of the bottle. Overall, this is a terrific foundation and a beautiful color. I'll keep buying.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/4/2014 8:08:00 AM More reviews by mka87

For reference, this review is with regards to the new 2013 Combo/Oily formulation with SPF15.

Firstly, there is a lot of comparison between this, MAC SFF and Estee Lauder DW. For me, MAC wins hands down. It's creamier and easier to blend, looks gorgeous in photographs and can be built up or sheered down appropriately. It is very much multi-purpose and therefore worth the money. The reason I won't repurchase DW is because it feels thick and leaves a white cast in photos (I believe the new formula is lighter but the original didn't wow me enough to consider repurchasing the revived formulation). The reason I won't purchase Colourstay again is due to the fact that it is VERY heavy feeling and contains talc. I unfortunately can't wear liquid foundation that have talc in them as it makes me itch.

Colourstay is a good full coverage foundation that is reasonably priced and very accessible. The lack of pump makes it problamatic to use and it is hard to sheer down to a natural finish because it's incredibly thick and heavy. It looks ok in photographs and the colour range is decent enough. It does have the obvious 'I'm wearing foundation' feel/look and the formula can cling to skin somewhat. If that's the look you like, go for it, but for me, I prefer something I can sheer out more naturally (if my skin is behaving) but the primary reason this foundation isn't for me is due to ingredients. As I've said before, I can't wear liquid poducts that have talc inside them due to the itchiness my face endures when I perspire (nice, your welcome). My talc blushers seem to be ok, as are eye shadows so powder products seem better. Generally though, a good budget foundation though not hugely cheap but one that has good staying power.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/14/2014 5:16:00 AM More reviews by Shamar

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

To be totally honest I quite dislike this product. However, this is solely because I have really oily skin. Even though I purchased the 'oil free' version it just still doesn't work very well with my skin. If you have normal to combo skin then this would be a great drugstore product for you especially if high coverage is what you are needing. Unfortunately in Australia this product can reach the $35 mark, but if you are willing to spend an extra $15 you should look into trying the Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay In Place Liquid Foundation. This is by far my HG foundation and is perfect for us oily girls who need the coverage and the staying power. xx

rated 3 of 5 on 3/9/2014 1:25:00 AM More reviews by Catanamal

initially i LOVED this! I went to the mall, picked up a bottle for half price, went home, tried out it, loved it, fell asleep, woke up in 2 hours and the makeup was STILL on and looked great!!

However, there definitely are some things that have made me fall less in love with it as time went on. For example, although the color seems very pale once it's on my skin it always seems to darken quite a bit. I'm a really pale girl but come one. Like it looks nice and light but after it's all blended in it just seems at least two shades too dark.

The other thing is that it's really thick, so thick that i needed to put a bit of moisturizer in the bottle to make it more spreadable. It also goes into pores quite deep but that is fixed if you have a high quality pore minimizer.

Overall, would give about a 7/10. Not going to buy it again next time in hopes i can find a lighter foundation, but if nothing else works out, this is my next top pick.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/23/2014 2:22:00 PM More reviews by shortii53

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Overall it is a decent foundation. Not my ideal but good. The shade is nice. A Fair/Light with slight yellow undertones to counteract redness. It definitely lasts! I find it makes me very matte and one tone. People proabably like this but I find I look too even toned, almost corpse like so if I use this foundation I must wear blush. Must Blush. I find it a bit drying or maybe it is just that it's matte, it seems to show my dryness a bit more than other foundations I like. I myself like the glass bottle, I can pour out what I need and it's sanitary. Doesn't bother me. I like the full coverage for days I want it and the lasting power. Good for long day. I wish it was a bit more moisturizing. I have it in the normal to dry skin formula. The color is great for fair skin ladies. I only bought it because of great reviews on here. Good foundation just needs a little more moisture to be perfect.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/23/2014 8:46:00 AM More reviews by emilyoconnor

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This foundation is one of the best I have tried from a drugstore, and it still lacked many things.
I have acne prone skin and the foundation was able to cover that without a need for concealer which is the main reason I like it, as it doesn't really have many other pros. Oh and the colour buff is perfect for my pale skin, which was a bonus. It has many streak marks when applied with a brush and fingers so I have to spend a bit of time trying to even them out, and it is too liquidy to be applied properly with a cotton pad. I may have to try a sponge. I could not wear this foundation alone, it has to be accompanied with powder and some form of colour for it not too look ghostly. The price is pretty expensive in Australia at about $35 a bottle, which sucks. So all in all, it has amazing coverage and that's about all.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/11/2014 3:38:00 PM More reviews by anonyym

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I had to buy this online cause it isn't anywhere to find here in Denmark.. But I'm glad I did!!
WOW. My skin looks soooo good (well the best it is able to look)

Pros:
- It stays on all school day (about 8 hours - I haven't tried it out for longer time)
- The color "Buff" is perfect for my fair skin!
- It's absolutly the best foundation I've tried to control my oily skin!!
- Can be applied in several layers
- Surprisingly easy to apply!

Cons:
- The tube/packaging !
- It dosen't have a full coverage as I've read in other reviews (but it's perfect for day-looks!)

I will defiantly buy it again!!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/3/2014 7:56:00 AM More reviews by Allymays

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

It's funny when I put this on and see my self in the mirror it looks pretty average but when I look in natural light it looks fabulous. Reminds me kind of of Estée Lauder Dw not as full coverage in my opinion but very very close it looks more natural and is a defiant matte finish but doesn't make me look flat and dull.
I prefer not using a primer I just use my 'simple matte moisturiser' and makes it feel matte for longer but if I found a decent primer I think it will be even better but atm I'm just using NYX matte finish primer which in my opinion not that great at all. Any way I have a very oily t zone especially my forehead and chin and this foundation keeps it matte most of the day but ofcourse I set the foundation with my Maybelline dream matte powder or on special occasions clinique matte powder (forgot the name) which defiantly helps but I only apply in the t zone then I just apply a translucent loose powder every where els just coz I don't want it to cake to much
But overall great foundation I Looovveee it! U just gotta know how to work with it:) oh an another thing I find the best way to apply this foundation is with a beauty blender, sigma f80 and a normal foundation brush of-course work quickly

Pros
Long lasting
Matte
Great coverage
Non scented

Cons
Living in australia the prices are higher than US so the price for this foundation is $37.00 which is what most people in the US pay for high end brands

Not a great colour range