April 20, 2014 | 1617 users online

Liquid - Revlon - Colourstay in Buff

rated 3 of 5 on 4/4/2014 8:08:00 AM More reviews by mka87

For reference, this review is with regards to the new 2013 Combo/Oily formulation with SPF15.

Firstly, there is a lot of comparison between this, MAC SFF and Estee Lauder DW. For me, MAC wins hands down. It's creamier and easier to blend, looks gorgeous in photographs and can be built up or sheered down appropriately. It is multi-purpose and therefore worth the money. The reason I won't repurchase DW is because it feels thick and leaves a white cast in photos ( I believe the new formula is lighter but the original didn't wow me enough to consider repurchasing the revived formulation). The reason I won't purchase Colourstay again is due to the fact that it is VERY heavy feeling and contains talc. I unfortunately can't wear liquid foundation that has talc in it as it makes me itch.

Colourstay is a good full coverage foundation that is reasonably priced and very accessible. The lack of pump makes it problamatic to use and it is hard to sheer down to a natural finish because it's incredibly thick and heavy. It looks ok in photographs and the colour range is decent enough. It does have the obvious 'I'm wearing foundation' feel and look and the formula can cling to skin somewhat. If that's the look you like, go for it but for me, I prefer something I can sheer out more naturally (if my skin is behaving) but the primary reason this foundation isn't for me is due to ingredients. As I've said before, I can't wear liquid poducts that have talc inside them due to the itchiness my face endures when I perspire (nice, your welcome). My talc blushers seem to be ok, as are eye shadows so powder products seem better. Generally though, a good budget foundation though not hugely cheap but one that has good staying power.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/14/2014 5:16:00 AM More reviews by Shamar

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

To be totally honest I quite dislike this product. However, this is solely because I have really oily skin. Even though I purchased the 'oil free' version it just still doesn't work very well with my skin. If you have normal to combo skin then this would be a great drugstore product for you especially if high coverage is what you are needing. Unfortunately in Australia this product can reach the $35 mark, but if you are willing to spend an extra $15 you should look into trying the Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay In Place Liquid Foundation. This is by far my HG foundation and is perfect for us oily girls who need the coverage and the staying power. xx

rated 3 of 5 on 3/9/2014 1:25:00 AM More reviews by Catanamal

initially i LOVED this! I went to the mall, picked up a bottle for half price, went home, tried out it, loved it, fell asleep, woke up in 2 hours and the makeup was STILL on and looked great!!

However, there definitely are some things that have made me fall less in love with it as time went on. For example, although the color seems very pale once it's on my skin it always seems to darken quite a bit. I'm a really pale girl but come one. Like it looks nice and light but after it's all blended in it just seems at least two shades too dark.

The other thing is that it's really thick, so thick that i needed to put a bit of moisturizer in the bottle to make it more spreadable. It also goes into pores quite deep but that is fixed if you have a high quality pore minimizer.

Overall, would give about a 7/10. Not going to buy it again next time in hopes i can find a lighter foundation, but if nothing else works out, this is my next top pick.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/23/2014 2:22:00 PM More reviews by shortii53

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Overall it is a decent foundation. Not my ideal but good. The shade is nice. A Fair/Light with slight yellow undertones to counteract redness. It definitely lasts! I find it makes me very matte and one tone. People proabably like this but I find I look too even toned, almost corpse like so if I use this foundation I must wear blush. Must Blush. I find it a bit drying or maybe it is just that it's matte, it seems to show my dryness a bit more than other foundations I like. I myself like the glass bottle, I can pour out what I need and it's sanitary. Doesn't bother me. I like the full coverage for days I want it and the lasting power. Good for long day. I wish it was a bit more moisturizing. I have it in the normal to dry skin formula. The color is great for fair skin ladies. I only bought it because of great reviews on here. Good foundation just needs a little more moisture to be perfect.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/23/2014 8:46:00 AM More reviews by emilyoconnor

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This foundation is one of the best I have tried from a drugstore, and it still lacked many things.
I have acne prone skin and the foundation was able to cover that without a need for concealer which is the main reason I like it, as it doesn't really have many other pros. Oh and the colour buff is perfect for my pale skin, which was a bonus. It has many streak marks when applied with a brush and fingers so I have to spend a bit of time trying to even them out, and it is too liquidy to be applied properly with a cotton pad. I may have to try a sponge. I could not wear this foundation alone, it has to be accompanied with powder and some form of colour for it not too look ghostly. The price is pretty expensive in Australia at about $35 a bottle, which sucks. So all in all, it has amazing coverage and that's about all.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/11/2014 3:38:00 PM More reviews by anonyym

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I had to buy this online cause it isn't anywhere to find here in Denmark.. But I'm glad I did!!
WOW. My skin looks soooo good (well the best it is able to look)

Pros:
- It stays on all school day (about 8 hours - I haven't tried it out for longer time)
- The color "Buff" is perfect for my fair skin!
- It's absolutly the best foundation I've tried to control my oily skin!!
- Can be applied in several layers
- Surprisingly easy to apply!

Cons:
- The tube/packaging !
- It dosen't have a full coverage as I've read in other reviews (but it's perfect for day-looks!)

I will defiantly buy it again!!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/3/2014 7:56:00 AM More reviews by Allymays

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

It's funny when I put this on and see my self in the mirror it looks pretty average but when I look in natural light it looks fabulous. Reminds me kind of of Estée Lauder Dw not as full coverage in my opinion but very very close it looks more natural and is a defiant matte finish but doesn't make me look flat and dull.
I prefer not using a primer I just use my 'simple matte moisturiser' and makes it feel matte for longer but if I found a decent primer I think it will be even better but atm I'm just using NYX matte finish primer which in my opinion not that great at all. Any way I have a very oily t zone especially my forehead and chin and this foundation keeps it matte most of the day but ofcourse I set the foundation with my Maybelline dream matte powder or on special occasions clinique matte powder (forgot the name) which defiantly helps but I only apply in the t zone then I just apply a translucent loose powder every where els just coz I don't want it to cake to much
But overall great foundation I Looovveee it! U just gotta know how to work with it:) oh an another thing I find the best way to apply this foundation is with a beauty blender, sigma f80 and a normal foundation brush of-course work quickly

Pros
Long lasting
Matte
Great coverage
Non scented

Cons
Living in australia the prices are higher than US so the price for this foundation is $37.00 which is what most people in the US pay for high end brands

Not a great colour range

rated 1 of 5 on 12/29/2013 10:41:00 PM More reviews by MadeupandDone

I decided to write a review of this finally. I"m a makeup artist who is used to high end makeup brands. A couple months ago, I decided to find a cheaper foundation that I could use more often on myself that lasted all day while I was on photoshoots.(I personally feel like highlighting and contouring looks better with foundation under it) another makeup artist had talked about this stuff and Target had it for ten bucks so i gave it a shot. I have sensitive skin but it was pretty clear at the time. Let me tell you, changing to this foundation was absolutely the worst decision I'd ever made. For a week or two my skin looked beautiful when I wore this, but slowly I started noticing that the more I used this stuff the more I needed to use the next day. Fast forward to 2 months after I'd started using this my skin is an absolute mess! I stopped using it but clearly the damage had been done, now I spend most days make up free and when I work I use a much much gentler foundation. I really do not recommend this stuff and am now trying to get my skin back to it's clear state.

On the plus side of this foundation it did cover the acne it was causing very well..

rated 4 of 5 on 12/20/2013 2:18:00 PM More reviews by evarosie

I bought this foundation a few months ago to combat the oilier areas on my nose, chin and forehead and red areas on my cheeks. The foundation is much higher coverage than i normally go for, but a small amount goes a long way so it doesn't look fake and looks natural when blended in well. I found that it could be a little drying, but coupled with a good primer the foundation goes on smooth and keeps my skin matte but bright all day, normally without any need to touch up. I sometimes use a brush but think that using fingers is just as good, especially because the foundation dries quite quickly! only downside is that there's no pump on the bottle which makes it a bit messy!

rated 3 of 5 on 12/9/2013 1:04:00 AM More reviews by ericajaneee

After reading so many good reviews of this foundation on this website I was very excited to try it! Before I even tried it the first thing I disliked was the price. Here in Australia a bottle of this stuff goes for about $35, which in my opinion in a bit too pricey for a drug store foundation. Once I got it home and opened it I was really hoping that the actual quality of the foundation inside would make up for the amount I paid, sadly I was disappointed.
The bottle I bought had a pump on it which was good because it made it easy to control the amount of foundation that was dispensed, and the bottle fitted nicely in my hand size wise. The first thing I noticed when I pumped out the foundation was the smell and texture. Scent wise it had a strong, almost chemically smell to it which I didn't particularly like, and the texture of the foundation was very runny.
Still holding out for the quality of the foundation I applied a little onto my stippling brush from Blank Cosmetics and proceeded to gently buff it onto my skin. Almost immediately the foundation began to make the skin underneath my eyes sting quite badly. Now I don't consider myself to have sensitive skin after trying numerous drug store foundations, but this foundation has made me start to wonder otherwise!
I continued to buff it in, now pretty desperately holding out for something in the foundation formula that would make it worth the price I paid.
The foundation did buff in quite nicely, but by no means did it give my skin a natural finish. I have tried applying it with my fingers and a brush and also with primer underneath but every time it has sunk very quickly into my pores and really accentuated them and also given an unnatural, almost cakey finish! I also always have to use a little powder over my foundation on account of my oily skin so I don't get oily during the day, and this foundation did not perform well at all with powder over the top, it went extremely cakey looking!
I do have to say though, in terms of staying power this foundation is very good! I've tried wearing it for the whole day, from mid morning to really late at night and I didn't experience any flaking, slipping or transferring at all! It also has a very good coverage, it covered over all my acne scarring and even pimples without needing any concealer over the top.

Overall:

Pros:
- Has very good coverage.
- Has really good staying power and doesn't transfer, slip or flake for over 10+ hours.
-The bottle is a good size.
-The bottle has a pump on the top now, which makes the product easy to dispense.
-Buffs in quite easily.

Cons:
- Price (here in Australia at least!)
- Made the skin under my eyes sting quite badly, even though I don't consider myself to have sensitive skin.
- Had an unnatural almost cakey finish when applied with both fingers and a make-up brush.
- Sunk into and really accentuated my pores.
- Went very cakey with powder applied on top.

I was disappointed with this foundation overall, and I most likely will not be looking to purchase it again.