Revlon Colourstay in Buff

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide (4.4%), Zinc Oxide (2.0%) Inactive Ingredients: Aqua/Water/Eau (Water, Eau), Cyclomethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Butylene Glycol, Dimethicone, Cetyl/PEG/PPG 10/1 Dimethicone, Polyglyceryl 4, Isostearate, HDI/Trimethol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Phenyltrimethicone, Nylon 12, Alumina, Magnesium Sulfate, Isododecane, Boron Nitrate, Methicone, Laureth 7, Malva Sylvestris (Mallow) Flower Extract (Mallow), Lilium Candidum (White Lily) Bulb Extract, Lactobacillus/Eriodictyon Californicum Ferment Extract, Cymbidium Grandiflorum Flower (Orchid) Extract, Serica (Silk Powder) (Silk), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Tribehenin, Bisabolol (L-Alpha), Silica, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Dimethicone/Silsesquioxane Copolymer, Polysorbate 20, Polysorbate 80, Ammonium Polyacrylatedimethyl Tauramide, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Ethylene Brassylate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, May Contain (+/-):, Mica, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Zinc Oxide (CI 77947)

on 9/25/2015 1:28:00 PM

My review is for the 24hr formula for normal/dry skin. I was hoping I'd like this product a lot more since the 'buff' shade matches my skin perfectly. Aside from that though, I'm not overly impressed with this stuff. I find it can easily look cakey on my skin and seems to really draw attention to any dryness on my face. I feel like I can never get this to blend very well regardless of how I apply it. I have mixed it with a small amount of moisturizer and found that helps a bit. I also really don't like the bottle. Much prefer a pump. I don't find that this lasts me all day either. I wouldn't repurchase, not because it is the most terrible foundation I've ever used but because I'd rather try something else and for the time being, I prefer my L'Oreal True Match Lumi.

on 9/21/2015 1:41:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

This is a review (and oily versus dry formulas comparisons) for the 24hrs formula which appeared in late 2012 (I mention this because I had in the past some bottles labelled 24hrs that actually had the Softflex formula), the real 24hrs formula ingredient list begins with Cyclopentasiloxane and also contains PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone as the sixth ingredient. I own the pump bottle.

Container --------> still the old school bottle, which makes the product difficult to pour out of the bottle as the consistency is thick but, fortunately, the pump-bottle is popping up in some European countries (it has been available in Australia and Asia for 2 years)... so 3 stars for the current bottle and 5 stars for the one with pump that is to come.

Consistency --------> thick in the bottle but it seems to soften as you blend (the pump bottle seems to soften it too as it is not that thick anymore once I have pumped it on the back of my hand). Glides very easily on the skin, way more easily than the previous formula. The dry skin formula seems a bit more runny than the oily skin formula. This new formula is more stabilized than the previous Softflex one, it does not separate in the bottle anymore (surely this sixth ingredient I mentioned at the beginning of my review, which is an emulsifier, all the foundations I have that contain this ingredient never separate in the bottle).

Finish --------> here is the main bad point, it can look overly cakey (the oily skin one) or overly streaky (the dry skin one) depending on how you apply this foundation. Also, the dry skin one has very tiny shimmers (I mean tiny, not the kind of overwhelming glitters you can get from the Photoready Airbrush Finish makeup) which are invisible at first but become slightly visible when you buff your powder on top to set the foundation. The oily skin one has a matte look without shimmers and just a hint of satin. The oily skin one has some kind of tackiness that never dissipate until you set it with a powder, while the dry skin one contains a micro-sponge ingredient that (I suspect) neutralizes this tackiness and produce a silkier finish that looks more powdery/blurring. Honestly, calling one for oily skin and the other one for dry skin is a nonsense as the latter is not moisturizing in the least, in my opinion these are just twice the same product with only a few tweaks in the formulas to produce slighty different finishes, but both are especially designed for normal-to-oily skin types (as mine).

Application method --------> I tried first with my usual brushes (flat top), buffing the foundation into the skin (very easily I admit), but the finish was thick/cakey (oily skin one) or uneven/streaky (dry skin one)... since I began using a Beauty-Blender-type damp sponge, I re-discovered both formulas with pleasure as the finish is way more beautiful and no longer caked on. Be careful with these foundations as they are very water sensitive (they remove easily with plain water) until they are completely set... after they set, they have some good waterproof resistance. One comment : both formulas are very soluble in plain ethanol which make them Beauty-Blender friendly (I cleanse my sponge after each use with plain ethanol and these are the sole foundations that remove completely after the cleansing process, with no stains left behind, my sponge is as clean as a new one).

Coverage --------> with one layer I get medium-to-full with the oily skin one, and light-to-medium with the dry skin one.

Color --------> as usual, Buff is my shade, a very pale beige with a hint of yellow undertones. There are some slight differences between both formulas : the oily skin one tends to be more yellow and a tiny bit lighter than the dry skin one which is more brownish and slightly darker (1/4 level I would say). I can wear both with pleasure, the oily skin one in winter and the dry skin one in summer.

Oxidation --------> this does oxidize slightly as it dries but after half an hour the color stays unchanged for all day long (so do not trust the shade when freshly applied).

Setting --------> be careful with the oily skin one, powders tend to cling a lot on it because of its tackiness. To avoid creasing and settling into fine lines with both formulas (especially around the eyes), I dab one last time with my finger to smooth it and immediately set with powder (currently the latest pressed ELF HD Finishing Powder which is absolutely amazing), once set it does not move anymore.

Lasting power --------> once fully set, both formulas last a very long time, and seems to be waterproof. You will need a cleansing oil to remove them as a regular water-soluble cleanser will be ineffective. I said that I stuck on one single layer with both formulas because they tend to crease and collect into fine lines/pores if the layer is too thick. That happened when I applied them with a brush but I have now more control over the creasing when applying the foundation with a damp sponge (which sheers out a bit the thickness of the layer) : I loose a bit of coverage but the finish look skin-like. I do not know about the 24hrs supposed lasting power as I do not wear makeup for that long, but after 24hrs all that will be left is only traces and blotchiness.

Shine control --------> do not expect a lot of shine control with either formulas, this is not the Colorstay Whipped Creme (nor the previous Colorstay Softflex for oily skin, which was especially absorbent)... the counterpart is that your skin looks more alive rather than dull and flat.

Sun protection --------> there is no sun protection written on the bottles, but actually both offer some sun protection (as written on the bottles from Australia, Asia and Europe). The oily skin one has an SPF 15 and the dry skin one has an SPF 20.

Price : a bit on the expensive side for a drugstore foundation, but the quality is au rendez-vous.

My go-to foundation <3

on 6/10/2015 11:37:00 AM

I love this foundation as it comes in an oily/combination skin formula as well as the normal/dry skin formula. I use shade 'Buff' which is perfect for my yellow skin tone. I would say this is a perfect, but much cheaper, dupe of Estée Lauder Doublewear foundation. Same formula and feel and lasts just as long, but priced at £8.95 on eBay or £12.99 at Superdrug, compared to £27.50!

on 3/29/2015 12:35:00 PM

THE WORST foundation I have ever used, I had mild acne before using this, mainly on my right cheek. However, as i reached 16, it was pretty much only scaring, which I was planning to have a acid peel on in the new year. However, as the hyper pigmentation of the scaring was hard to cover, I heard this foundation had amazing coverage, and was great for oily skin! Seem'ed like a no brainer? I brought this foundation at the end of November, and by Christmas my skin had never been worse. I wish i'd left my skin alone rather than plastering it with this horrible makeup. It has left me looking like I have SEVERE acne. I now see a dermatologist and am on medication, to try and tame the mess left on my face. Oh, and I can no longer put makeup on because of the condition of my skin!

I'd say this makeup would be great for people who love full coverage, and DONT suffer from acne. However, if you're like me, and do suffer from acne & have oily skin, DO NOT BUY this makeup! It may seem like a good idea but no no no!!!! It may have looked great for a few weeks, but was not worth the damage. I hate my skin and don't even go out so much anymore. I wish I knew what this foundation could do before using it :(

It is also cakey, and i have smile lines haha, and it made them show up SO bad, I'm 16, and it looked like I was a 50 year old woman...
just don't buy this :(

on 3/14/2015 8:25:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

My HG drugstore foundation. I'm a light NC20 and I find the shade "Buff" to be a perfect match. Medium/full coverage, easy to blend, lasts ALL FREAKIN DAY, controls my oil, doesn't need a setting powder. I apply a modest amount to the center of my face (where I need the most coverage) and blend outwards with the Expert Face Brush from Real Techniques. The key to not making this foundation look cakey is to just use a small amount, make sure your skin is moisturized, and blend, blend blend. I have some discoloration from when I had bad acne several years ago, but people always tell me they wish they had my skin. I credit this stuff for letting me fake a perfect complexion!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

OMG....this is the best drug store foundation I have EVER used!!! I normally use estee lauder double wear.....and it really is the cheap version to it! I have very oily skin, and just like DW it lasts on me all day without a hint of shine! I think I actually prefer the shade range of this foundation to DW as I find a lot of their shades are either to pink or too yellow! All in all....great coverage and lasts all 5 lippys from me!

on 8/8/2014 1:44:00 AM

This review is for the NEW formula Revlon Colorstay in Buff (with a pump) for combination/dry skin.

This has been my go to foundation now for about three years. The colour is a perfect warm pale for countering my pinkish tones and blends particularly well when I am slightly fake tanned. The texture is quite thick but this ensures that the coverage is... AMAZING! This stuff covers up my many many dark scars from dermatillomania.
The finish is dewy yet matte enough not to need a setting powder.
It hasn't broken me out in my many years of using in, unlike some other reviews I much prefer the new formula as it is more blendable, lighter and the fragrance doesn't smell as strong.

I wouldn't say that it's 24hours but it definitely lasts 8 hours without need for any touch ups.

The price is only three stars for me because I live in Australia, and here is it $37.
I'm still happy to pay this though, as this the product works wonders for me.

For me, this foundation is BETTER than Mac Studio Fix Fluid (NC15), which I swapped to for a while but had to change after it gave me serious acne in just a week. There's a reason they call it Macne.

on 6/9/2014 11:12:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

The best drugstore foundation, imo. I used to use it with a beauty blender before I decided I wanted to use tinted moisturizers instead of heavy foundations since my skin really isn't that bad. Gives good and buildable coverage. Really great shade selection too.
This stuff is great and really does last a long time. The only things I hated about it were the smell and packaging.

on 4/4/2014 8:08:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium

For reference, this review is with regards to the new 2013 Combo/Oily formulation with SPF15.

Firstly, there is a lot of comparison between this, MAC SFF and Estee Lauder DW. For me, MAC wins hands down. It's creamier/easier to blend, looks gorgeous in photographs and can be built up or sheered down appropriately (partly because it doesn't dry instantly). It is very much multi-purpose and therefore worth the money. The reason I won't repurchase DW is because it feels thick and leaves a white cast in photos (I believe the new formula is lighter but the original didn't wow me enough to consider repurchasing the revived formulation). The reason I won't purchase Colourstay again is due to the fact that it is quite heavy feeling and, when in the heat, makes me itch. This must be down to an ingredient in the formulation as I have the same problem with Rimmel Wake Me Up.

Overall, Colourstay is a good full coverage foundation that is reasonably priced and very accessible. The lack of pump makes it problamatic to use and it is hard to sheer down to a more natural finish because it's incredibly thick/heavy feeling and dries remarkably fast. It looks ok in photographs and the colour range is pretty good. It does have the obvious 'I'm wearing foundation' feel/look and the formula can cling to skin somewhat. If that's the look you like, go for it, but for me, I prefer something I can sheer out more naturally (if my skin is behaving) but the primary reason this foundation isn't for me is due to ingredients.

Generally, a good budget foundation though not hugely cheap (try and get it on offer in Boots/Superdrug) but one that has good staying power.

Cheaper and readily available - can always get it on offer in Boots
Good colour selection
Good staying power
Good coverage - definitely on the full side

Dries quickly so hard to blend
Thick/heavy feeling so can risk looking obvious on the skin
Hard to sheer down due to thick formulation
Terrible paint like smell
Awful packaging - no pump! Hard to control product
Makes me itch - problematic ingredients

on 3/14/2014 5:16:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

To be totally honest I quite dislike this product. However, this is solely because I have really oily skin. Even though I purchased the 'oil free' version it just still doesn't work very well with my skin. If you have normal to combo skin then this would be a great drugstore product for you especially if high coverage is what you are needing. Unfortunately in Australia this product can reach the $35 mark, but if you are willing to spend an extra $15 you should look into trying the Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay In Place Liquid Foundation. This is by far my HG foundation and is perfect for us oily girls who need the coverage and the staying power. xx