Olay Total Effects Moisturizer Plus Cooling Hydration

2.3

on 5/13/2012 12:13:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I used Total Effects for years but got seduced by the exciting new scents and promises of other brands, and my skin seems to have suffered for it. Recently I spotted this Total Effects Moisturizer Plus Cooling Hydration on sale at a good price and decided to give it a go.
The consistency of this moisturiser is more like a lotion than a cream -- it seems thinner than the original Total Effects. It goes on easily and sinks in quickly, leaving my skin feeling smooth and fresh. I've only been using it for a week but already my skin feels better than it has done in a long time.
The 50ml container is taller and thinner than the original squat Total Effects container, so it is easy to slip into my toiletries bag. The pump means that the product itself won't get contaminated by having fingers stuck in it, which is also good.
The scent is pretty and fresh but I don't get any indication of "cooling" or anything like that. I think the cooling part is a gimmick but it doesn't change how much I like this product.
Highly recommend!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

So far so good, which is surprising. I have very acne prone oily sensitve skin and broke out from the last Olay moisturizer I used, so I was looking at this one with a very wary eye...(I had already bought this and wanted to give it a shot before I tossed it out) Lucky me, this doesn't break me out like the Sensitive Moisture Therapy did- go figure. It feels very light but provides great hydration. At first I hated the scent, but now it is kind of growing on me. It's too early to see any of the anti aging benefits, but I will update in time. This combined with the cleanser and toner for Olay are really calming my skin down.... hope it keeps it up!!
5/15: Breakouts, breakouts, breakouts, breakouts.....Still loving the Olay cleanser and toner but the moisturizer is a no go- back to Origins Youthtopia I go....

on 2/2/2011 7:53:00 PM

I bought this because of the popularity of total effects line. This product seem to be perfect for my oily skin. The price is decent and I like how it's in a slimmer bottle than the regular one.

The lotion goes on light and absorbed quick. 2 pumps are enough to cover my face and neck. It has a light cucumber-y scent to it which is not too annoying. I don't feel the cooling sensation it is promoting. My face felt adequately moistured.

Update Feb 6: this had caused a few breakouts in the past week. They were painful and took a while to heal. Not recommended for acne-prone skin! I will revert back to my NuSkin conditioning gel (mainly aloe). Sigh~

on 1/7/2011 2:45:00 AM

I was tempted by all the hype around this product, so I tried Total Effects, and since I have oily skin, I was suggested to use this. So I tried it once, and I feel this burning sensation on my face for no reason. And after a while, I couldn't stand the burning sensation and washed my face. I go back to my old moisturizer and then I notice big red bumps like insect bites around the sensitive part on my nose, and some on my right cheek. I was like "What the???"
It's funny how it supposed to give you cool hydration but what it did to me was burning my face. I will stay far far away from Olay.... I guess this product is just not for me.

on 11/7/2010 9:27:00 PM

Not sure whether this small little bottle will actually deliver so many promised results. At this point, seems like a good warm weather moisturizer and has a nice consistency but will have to give it a few more months to see whether it delivers on its hefty promises.

on 9/22/2010 10:30:00 AM

I really wanted to like this because the women in my family have all used and loved Olay for years. Unfortunately, though, I have acne-prone skin, and every time I try an Olay product, in breaks me out, so I've been using the more-expensive Clinique for years.

Anyway, after I ran out of some of my Clinique products, I decided to try an Olay regimen again to save a little money.

Big mistake - this moisturizer caused an awful breakout. Because I was afraid it was the mint in this product, I also tried the regular Total Effects Moisturizer, and it also broke me out.

The parts of my skin that weren't broken out did look even-toned and glowy, so if your skin isn't sensitive or acne-prone, this would be a good product, I guess. The fragrance is strong but pleasant, so if you like fragranced products, this is nice.

I wish it worked for me, because I keep hearing how wonderful and effective Olay products are, and since I'm in my mid-30s, I thought a good anti-aging product would be good for me, but I am going back to my pricier Clinique to try to clear up this awful breakout.

Popular Moisturizers