July 28, 2014 | 1965 users online

Shampoo - Liz Earle - Botanical Shine Shampoo

rated 5 of 5 on 12/1/2012 11:56:00 AM More reviews by emmahlie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I look forward to washing my hair knowing I get to use this in the shower. Compared to some natural shampoos this had a really nice fragrance, like my shower was filled with essential oils. One thing that impressed me was the lather as I wasn't expecting it to be so creamy but it was. You need only a blob about the size of a 10p coin, which works great on my shoulder length hair.

I suffer with dry scalp, especially in the winter, and although this doesn't get rid of the flakes (i'm still searching for something that will) it does make my hair and scalp feel clean and soft, and not itchy either.

I think the price is actually quite reasonable, as you don't need as much for a good wash, and the 200ml bottle barely feels like I've made a dent in it and I've had it a few weeks and I frequently wash my hair. So a little goes a long way.

Will definitely repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/29/2012 9:30:00 AM More reviews by kekecat

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I got a sample packet of this with one of my orders and thought it was good enough to purchase the full size. I have curly dry hair so i try to avoid SLS and silicones etc and generally these products come at a cost, in comparison to more basic shampoos. Currently sells for 8.50 for 200ml which is expensive - you can get similar products for less.

I still like this product and have found you have to use it consistently to get results. It does a good job of cleaning my hair without drying it out. It also doesn't cause a reaction to the skin on my body or face which some cheaper products do.

Now the only thing I dislike is the fragrance - very sweet and sickly. If it was more subtle I wouldn't mind but some mornings (during this pregnancy) it has been a bit too much. I would repurchase but due to the cost and impending birth it won't be soon.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/20/2012 8:03:00 AM More reviews by susie03

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really like this shampoo, it's moisturising and doesn't strip hair at all. Considering it has no artificial foaming agents a little lathers up well. It is thick for a shampoo and will last a long time. To the reviewer below who was so concerned about sodium chloride - that's just salt - won't harm your hair in the minimal quantities in this product!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2012 3:51:00 PM More reviews by yoyoko

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is my favourite SLS/SLES-free shampoo and I have repurchased it numerous times. My husband has dry scalp issues and whilst this does not cure the flakies, it is much better than other shampoos at not aggravating it (we use various oils massaged into his scalp for that). I wanted to share how I use it because before I was told this, I thought it was pretty mediocre.

The incredibly lovely sales assistant at the Liz Earle store (some of the nicest SAs in London there!) explained to me that you need to double wash with this. I use about three to four pea-sized dollops to massage this into my scalp. I used to have extremely long hair and that was enough because I never really suds up the lengths of my hair with shampoo - only the scalp. Once you've done the first wash and rinsed the shampoo out, do it again with about the same amount of shampoo. This second wash will lather a lot more and feel more satisfying, if you're after the sudsy experience that shampoos with SLS/SLES give (although it really doesn't lather nearly as much as the SLS/SLES shampoos).

If you struggle with tangled hair, I would tackle that with conditioner, rather than trying to use the shampoo to work through the tangles.

I find this shampoo is very good for my scalp - it is not drying and so I do not struggle with my scalp getting oily soon after a wash. It smells delicious and fresh and because I use much less of this than I used to use with SLS/SLES shampoos, that helps mitigate the cost a bit. The price is my only complaint because it's hard to stomach a 8 shampoo! However, until I find something better, I'll be going back for more.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/25/2011 9:58:00 AM More reviews by beeettthhh

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

A friend recommended this product to me as my hair is really damaged and it has natural ingredients so lessens the damage when washing! However it hasn't worked for me. The smell is like essential oils, it's not bad but I don't love it. More importantly though, when I wash my hair with this shampoo it just builds up and makes underneath my hair feel horrible sticky, even when i try to re-wash with another shampoo and rinse for ages the sticky feeling weighs my hair down and won't go away unless i use clarifying shampoo (which is damaging so I would rather not...). Really gutted because when I had dark hair it did make the top look so shiny, but now I am back to blonde it doesn't really make it shiny either. The conditioner is okay though, nearly finished that but probably won't even be finishing the shampoo

rated 2 of 5 on 7/23/2011 6:09:00 PM More reviews by materialgirl897

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I'm a big fan of Liz Earle so couldn't wait for the launch of this product but it just doesn't cut it.

Pros

Smells Divine
Produces a reasonable lather
SLS free

Cons

Contains sodium chloride

For us girls that colour sodium chloride is almost as bad as SLS for stripping colour from the hair so I feel that Liz Earle has scored a massive own goal with this formulation. Certainly not a patch on Green People products.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/15/2011 11:49:00 AM More reviews by leavingthingsbehind

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

It is not a bad product but it is not a favourite one either.

Indeed it does not contain harsh cleaning chemicals but unfortunately my hair does not cooperate with SLS free shampoos too well. My delicate, greasy hair just gets greasy faster and matte with that unwashed look so I have to come back to the usual product with SLS (like Elseve Nutri-Gloss light in pink bottle, which is my favourite) between washes with SLS free shampoo. Which kind of defeats the purpose...This shampoo was not as bad as some other 'natural' shampoos I have been using but I will not repurchase.

This product smells rather nice, lathers reasonably well though I would advise washing one's barnet twice instead of once as I would normally do with Elseve. It comes in a generous looking 200 ml tube, which is nicely designed in blue and green tones, going well with our dark stone bathroom lol!

My husband used it all up (and it is very longlasting! I think it took him about 3 to 4 month of twice a week use) and his scalp is very sensitive and sometimes itchy but he did not have any bad experience this time. However he is back to using my Elseve again!

Just one not to the fragrance of the product - it smells very earthy, very natural but the smell tends to linger on the hair longer than I would like it to do. I used to wash my makeup brushes with it and the fragrance was staying on the bristles for quite a bit!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/18/2011 5:15:00 PM More reviews by Salbongo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

I am a huge fan of Liz Earle products, I was expecting wonders when I bought this shampoo however I was a little let down.
It smells lovely and really cleans my hair. My bad points are it doesn't lather very well so you have to use a bit more product than advised and my hair did not feel/look any better than using a normal (cheep) shampoo.

I would buy this again due to the fact it smells nice and is natural which is a plus, so it's not too bad :)

rated 3 of 5 on 1/14/2011 10:30:00 AM More reviews by taverner

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have been in to natural hair products for some years now following a sudden reaction to a mainstream shampoo. I tried this (and the conditioner) thinking they would be good and they did deliver what they promised and hair did feel and look nice. However, after about three uses I developed really bad dandruff. Thinking this might be coincidence, I swapped to different products for a while and then reverted back to Liz Earle. Once again, same dandruff problem so, sadly, will not be purchasing again.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/16/2010 10:12:00 AM More reviews by Woots

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I really wanted to love this shampoo as I am a huge fan of Liz Earle's skincare range and couldn't wait to try the shampoo and conditioner. I also thought the price very reasonable. Unfortuantely it was just....average. Not bad for any reason just not great either. I used in conjunction with the botanical shine conditioner for dry or damaged hair and results were average. My hair was clean, I liked the smell but I certainly don't feel the need to repurchase now that my bottle is finished.