Kat Von D Painted Love Lipstick

3.9

Polyisobutene, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Isododecane, Beeswax (Cera Alba/Cire d'abeille), Polyethylene, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax (Candelilla Cera/Cire de candelilla), Tocopheryl Acetate, Trihydroxystearin, Phenoxyethanol, Flavor (Aroma), [ /-(May contain): Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Red 7 Lake, Red 30 Lake, Red 33 Lake, Blue 1 Lake, Yellow 5 Lake]

I got this lipstick in shade Lovecraft. It's a neutral color, but is more on the pink side. First and foremost, the shade is called Lovecraft. H.P. Lovecraft is one of my favorite writers. But for the lipstick itself, I think the shade is so beautiful. I was never much of a neutral lipstick fan because my lips have a natural tint, but this one is very pretty. It does look natural but the pink is pigmented to where you can tell there is color on your lips. You can pretty much where this color on any occasion: day-time, night-time, wedding, party, etc. It's also very moisturizing, since every lipstick dries out my lips. I'm on the fence with the longevity, though. It could be the color is more neutral than what I'm used to, but I didn't notice this staying when I ate or drank. As long as I didn't touch with lips it stayed. I'm debating about getting Adora, since it's such a gorgeous shade of red. But I might experiment with Urban Decay or Buxom lipsticks before purchasing another shade. But I'll definitely purchase Lovecraft again!

on 3/15/2013 6:45:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

This is a MLBB for medium skin tones. It is long lasting considering its not a long wear lipstick. It doesnt seem to dry my lips. For some reason this shade seems to make my lips look larger and sexy. I will definetly buy it again when i run out. I think the price in INdiana was 19 dollars plus tax at sephora. I usually wear loreal in fairest nude type shades for ref. but this has been the shade I keep reaching for as of late. You wont be let down.

on 2/2/2013 12:11:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

I bought Cathedral, which is a "spiced pinkish brown" according to Sephora. I bought it because my friend bought the mini lipstick set that included a sample of Cathedral, which she already had one so gave it to me to try. I fell in love with the colour and went looking for a drugstore dup (because I am cheap), but came up blank so bit the bullet and bought the full size from Sephora for $23.00. It is a beautiful colour, MLBB with beautiful and elegant rose designed packaging. The tube is slightly bigger than regular lipstick tubes, but not to the point where it is a problem. This was just an observation.

I am so disappointed in the quality! The formula is dry on the lips AND too soft so the bullet is breaking off. I still love the colour, but this was my only splurge and of course, I get burned! I will not buy this again, in comparison MAC lipsticks are cheaper so if I ever want to go high end again I will try them.

on 12/3/2012 10:21:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I wrote a haiku about this lipstick. I'd like to share it with you all.

No no no no no
No no no no no no no
No no no no bad.

I thought I bought a lipstick. Instead, what I ended up with was envelope sealing wax.
This stuff is overpriced junk. I bought it in Rosary, thinking the gorgeous burgundy in the tube was just what I was looking for. And when I tried it on at Sephora, it looked gorgeous.
Too bad two hours later, it was feathering WAAAAY outside my lip line (even with a healthy dose of liner and primer), settling into cracks in my lips, and fading to a horrible fudgesicle brown hue that was horrendous against my somewhat cool-leaning tone.
Then the flaking happened. Big flakes.
To make matters worse, no matter how many times I did the old "stick the finger between the lips" trick, this stuff still ended up on my teeth. Wut?
$19 for a piece of junk I could have gotten at the dollar store (you know - all the two-year-old Revlon backstock) is absolutely unacceptable.
The only positive here is the adorable packaging. But the whole "can't polish a turd" thing really rings true here.
Oh, and the smell is atrocious. It reeks. Like maybe rancid vegetable oil or boiled beef. I mean really...

on 11/9/2012 3:55:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

i bought this in adora. I love it! the color lasts for hours, and really stays on your lips, no smudging. i think it's a little drying too, but i tend to think the more dry a lipstick is the better it sticks to your lips. i REALLY like that even when this color starts to fade, it still looks really cool, like you meant for it to look like that.

i bought this lipstick in Lovecraft which looks like berry mixed with nude. i love the shade. however, it IS very drying. don't even think about putting it on without using a lip balm. also, the color only lasts for about an hour. overall, i'm not sure if i'll repurchase.

on 8/21/2012 1:42:00 AM

I have this in Lovecraft which is a pretty pink/nude color, on my fair complection it's very flattering. The packaging is beautiful, it has the same rose stencil/outline as most of her other products. Unfortunately this is very drying, I have to layer a balm or gloss on top. It's also not very longlasting (2-3 hours). For $19 the formula should be a lot better than it is. It's a shame since the color is gorgeous! Because I've had so much luck with Kat's other products I might try another shade to see if it's just Lovecraft that's so-so. I'll update if I do.

on 8/14/2012 11:28:00 PM

The lovely packaging and super cool range of shades are what first attracted me to this lipstick. I wanted to like it, I really did. I gave it a chance...and soon realized that the formula was just okay, and the color itself looked almost like I painted it on. I realize that that is what some people are looking for, and maybe it's because I purchased one of the darker shades, but this lipstick just didn't do it for me.

on 7/31/2012 10:15:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I purchased this in Stiletto, I am really into red, but I wanted something bright red that had just the right hint if orange to it, I actually went to Sephora looking for something like it, saw some nice ones from NARS and others, but while browsing, saw Kat Von D's line and saw it and just had to get it. It is a gorgeous shade, my favorite red lipstick! I am really glad I stumbled upon this little gem, I'm happy to say I found my HG Red Lipstick! I don't have any complaints, the packaging is gorgeous, there is a good amount of it to last you a while. I have had it for about five or six months, still have a lot left over and I use this more than four days a week. The lipstick is smooth, easy to apply and it lasts a really long time unless you eat something really oily in which case it comes off sometimes or smears. It may be pricey to some people, but $19 is something I don't mind paying for my HG Red Lipstick! I am looking forward to trying another color I saw, and as for this color...will absolutely repurchase.

on 7/22/2012 1:55:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I'm using Stiletto, and I love it. It is a perfect summer red. I've been wary of orange-y reds in the past, but this is a fabulous bright color for July. I wandered around Sephora trying on a lot of orange-y reds one day (everything from Nars to Dior to the Sephora brand), and much to my surprise, the Kat von D was by the best brilliant orange-red.

It's moisturizing, goes on smoothly and lasts a long time (I apply, blot, then reapply).

Popular Lipsticks