Smashbox Limitless Liquid Liner Pen

3.5

Water (Aqua, Eau), Ammonium Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer, Butylene Glycol, Alcohol, CETETH-20, Pentylene Glycol, Sea Salt, POLYGLYCERYL-3 Disiloxane Dimethicone, Disodium EDTA, Acrylates/Octylacrylamide Copolymer, Sodium Hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Carbon Black (CI 77266).

on 6/26/2015 4:15:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This doesn't last long enough for me. It rubs off very easily.

I bought Dark Brown because I had so many black liners, and it's a nice, deep brown, dark enough to show up with most eye shadow combinations but if I use dark brown or dark grey shadow, I have to use a black liner instead.

The very best eyeliner I've ever used is still Bobbi Brown's gel liner in the little ink pot that you have to apply with a brush. However, it takes longer to apply and you have to be experienced with a brush. I buy liquid pens because I don't want to carry all that around in my purse. I find it faster and more practical to use a pen, and I've come to expect that they won't be quite as good as my Caviar Ink gel liner, but I still search.

Tips: If you buy Smashbox Limitless Liquid Liner Pen, loading the eye area with eye cream will cause the liner to smear. If you have oily eyelids and use a cream shadow, take the extra step and put a powder shadow over it. Really anything you can do to limit the amount of oil around the liner will help it stay. Also if you use eye drops, know that you'll have to take this with you for touch-ups. After trial and error, I can get it to work, but I'd rather have a better liner. It fades easily.

I've been through liquid pens from Kat Von D, Geisha Ink, and countless others. Stila's waterproof liquid pen in Black is the front-runner so far. Stila's lasts longer than this one.

I was at a Sephora recently and the SA recommended this pen, and I said, "No way. I already own one in brown, and I hate it. I would never buy it again in black; I'm sorry."

Pens that last better than this: Clinique Pretty Easy Liquid Liner Pen and Stila Stay All Day.

on 5/27/2015 2:17:00 AM

I have tried a variety of different liquid eyeliners, and I am extremely picky when it comes to eyeliners- the pigmentation has to be just right, it has to stay on well, etc etc etc.- and this eyeliner is by far the best that I've purchased so far. I have used Stila, Tarte, Urban Decay, Kat von D, & MAC's eyeliners, and don't get me wrong; all of their eyeliners are decent, but they are nowhere near as good as this eyeliner from Smashbox. I have bad allergies and my eyes water a lot, so I'm constantly trying to 'get rid' of the tears, and this eyeliner barely smudges, if at all when my allergies are acting up. This eyeliner is DEFINITELY worth the money.

on 10/27/2014 5:53:00 PM

Just amazing! I use this for the inner corners of my eyes and for a cat eye wing. Perfection almost every time and lasts all day long.

on 9/23/2014 1:30:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Was convinced by a Smash Box Make up artist to buy this product and boy was I dissapointed after wearing it for a few days. With the combination of having asian and oily eyelids this eyeliner did not work for me as described. I was told that this eyeliner would last through sweat, tears, (i.e. waterproof) and would be long lasting but it smeared after half an hour. This eyeliner may work for some but defintely not for me. I've used Stila's liquid eyeliner in the past and I should have just stuck with that. It's cheaper and last throughout the day! But I do have to give smashbox one thing... it is very pigmented and the color does glide on very nicely.

on 8/29/2014 10:22:00 PM

This eyeliner is horrible compared to its price. I bought it at the "high-end" sections of makeup brands, but honestly I would rather get a drug store brand one for much cheaper with the same effectiveness. I put this eyeliner even with the Urban Decay Primer Potion, but by the end of the day it was literally all smudged off. Mind you, my eyelids tend to be oily in general, but I didn't know it would come off THAT easily. I was so embarassed because it looked like I had no eye makeup on. I will definitely throw this out or give it to someone. Will NOT repurchase this.

on 7/14/2014 3:12:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I am a big fan of tightlining and using dark DARK brown (not black) or dark gray liquid eyeliner. My most recent purchases were LORAC Front of the Line in Charcoal (a dark smokey gray almost black) and Nars Liquid Liner in Koala (again, a dark smokey gray). I was finding that most dark brown liquid liners weren't dark enough and black liners looked too harsh on my skin. I was at Sephora yesterday picking up a gift for a friend and I had a few extra minutes so I started swatching all the well known liquid liners on my hand (Stila, Urban Decay, Nars, Kat Von D, Dior, etc). This eyeliner won for me - the pen was so easy to use and the color is fantastic - the darkest darkest chocolate brown (darker than Stila's version). It does not budge or run. I put it on at 6 AM and it stays put until I wash it off at 9 PM. I would definitely recommend!

When I first got my hands on this eyeliner, I fell in love with it. I don't particularly like flexible tips on liquid eyeliners and this pen had a stiff felt tip so I loved it. I could apply the product easily in one stroke and get the perfect line in one go. But the cons outweigh the pro...

Firstly, it's kinda pricey. Secondly, it stopped working properly on me only after a month or so (and it was only used around once or twice a week)! The formula wouldn't go on my eyelid and when I'd try to redraw the line, the liner would act as a dry erase- erasing the previous, barely there, line!

I feel really sad about its failure to work efficiently as an eyeliner, especially since I loved the felt tip and the liner's black pigmentation!

on 12/2/2013 1:13:00 PM

I really don't understand all of the negative reviews for this product because for me, this works great. This is a great liquid eyeliner pen, especially to create a cat eye. This holds up all day, no cracking, smearing, easy to use (glides effortlessly) so you will maintain control of the pen, and great color selections. I have this in jet black & it truly is an intense black. I work in Sephora, & customers are always asking me what eyeliner I use when I wear this. I would definitely reccommend & I will continue to buy this. This is EXTREMELY comparable to Stila's liquid liner pen. I have compared the two side by side (I own & regularly use both, alternating between the two), and they are exactly the same & give the same effect, overall. The Smashbox one is actually a little bit of a darker black & the tip of the pen is a little bit stiffer, but not by that much to make a difference quite honestly. The reason I would actually buy this one over Stila's is because this one comes with more product and they are comparable in price.

on 10/26/2013 5:05:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I wear this eyeliner everyday, not because it's my HG eyeliner but because I payed so much for it and feel bad for chucking it away...First things first, the brush is firm and the tip of the pen is short which doesn't really allow me to create a fine flick that easily. Therefore the application isn't completely smooth, thanks to the tip of the brush and the relativity thick content inside, I find it that it drags, a lot. What started out as a thin line is now some crazy thick graphic 60's stuff, not really ideal for everyday use (not for me anyway). I can't really complain about the colour although, I cannot fail to mention that it really doesn't dry matte in fact due to its 'liquidy' tone it aways seems wet, again not my cup of tea... But the thing that really annoys me about this eyeliner is that although it's not waterproof it doesn't not resist my eyelash curlers at all,which mean that I have to re-apply it like twice because most of the eyeliner seems to be gone (somewhere far away, somewhere only God knows, really? Really.) which gets in the way of my curled lashes and aaaaaaargh it's just a bit of a mess really, honestly expected more from smashbox :( £££££$$$$$

on 8/20/2013 9:53:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This review is for the colour 'Jet Black'.

Firstly, I wear black liquid eyeliner EVERY day (seriously) - it's a staple in my daily makeup routine! I find that once you get the hang of liquid liners, you will sort of become obsessed, they are so quick and easy (once you've mastered them), and they create an instant 'pop' to the eyes. There are a few factors that make a great black liquid eyeliner, or at least things I consider important! So I've broken down this review into those categories as I find it may be helpful to anyone looking for a good black liquid liner.

Colour:
I look for the blackest of black when I choose a liquid liner - I think the Smashbox liner delivers! It's not the MOST black liner I have ever used but, it comes close. It's more of a mix between a matte and shiny finish, which I like. I prefer matte shades of black (like Urban Decay Perversion liner), however I find this isn't too shiny for my liking. If you want to, you can take a small liner brush and apply black eye shadow on top of it to create a matte look, and soften the line.

Application:
I LOVE the application of this liner. LOVE. I think as far as liquid liners are concerned, the applicator brush is so key to the product - this is by far my fave brush. I can't count how many liquid liners I've had, where I loved the colour and longevity, but the applicator was flimsy, not user friendly, and just generally a nightmare (Lancomes 'Art Liner' has a longer and flimsier felt tip, which is OK for thin lines but if you like to do the cat eye or winged look, I find it's hard to be precise). This liner has a great shape - easy to get a precise small/thin line, or do a full out bold winged eye look. It's really a dream.

Longevity/Formula:
The product isn't waterproof, but it is classified as long lasting. I have oily eyelids, so I've had a rough time in the past with transfer to the upper eyelid area with other brands. Currently I apply this over my Bobbi Brown long wear cream eyeshadow, and it lasts quite a while on my oily lids. I don't notice any transfer or smudging throughout the day. Overall I have no complaints about it flaking off (like I used to see with my Makeup Forever Aqua Liquid Liner), or fading too much. The formula isn't too dry or too liquidy (again like the Makeup Forever Liquid Liner, which used to be my 'go to', BTW).

So...overall I love this liquid liner. The only downside is the price ($30 Canadian). I do find it's better than most/all drugstore brands I've tried, so I am willing to foot the bill. I think it's awesome and I've worn it every day since purchasing it. I can't say HOW long the physical product lasts for, but I will update. This is a great choice for creating perfect and precise lines - thick, thin, cat eye, whatever! I'd recommend it to anyone!

Note: A cheeper alternative that I liked from the drugstore is Loreal Infallible 'the Super Slim' liquid eyeliner in Carbon Black. It falls short in terms of longevity, and fades/smudges slightly throughout the day on my oily eyelids, but it's overall a decent cheeper alternative to try.

Top Rated Smashbox Products