July 29, 2014 | 2058 users online

Eyeliner - Smashbox - Limitless Liquid Liner Pen

rated 5 of 5 on 7/14/2014 3:12:00 PM More reviews by cbeduke

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am a big fan of tightlining and using dark DARK brown (not black) or dark gray liquid eyeliner. My most recent purchases were LORAC Front of the Line in Charcoal (a dark smokey gray almost black) and Nars Liquid Liner in Koala (again, a dark smokey gray). I was finding that most dark brown liquid liners weren't dark enough and black liners looked too harsh on my skin. I was at Sephora yesterday picking up a gift for a friend and I had a few extra minutes so I started swatching all the well known liquid liners on my hand (Stila, Urban Decay, Nars, Kat Von D, Dior, etc). This eyeliner won for me - the pen was so easy to use and the color is fantastic - the darkest darkest chocolate brown (darker than Stila's version). It does not budge or run. I put it on at 6 AM and it stays put until I wash it off at 9 PM. I would definitely recommend!

rated 2 of 5 on 5/8/2014 8:35:00 AM More reviews by charmvelarde

When I first got my hands on this eyeliner, I fell in love with it. I don't particularly like flexible tips on liquid eyeliners and this pen had a stiff felt tip so I loved it. I could apply the product easily in one stroke and get the perfect line in one go. But the cons outweigh the pro...

Firstly, it's kinda pricey. Secondly, it stopped working properly on me only after a month or so (and it was only used around once or twice a week)! The formula wouldn't go on my eyelid and when I'd try to redraw the line, the liner would act as a dry erase- erasing the previous, barely there, line!

I feel really sad about its failure to work efficiently as an eyeliner, especially since I loved the felt tip and the liner's black pigmentation!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/2/2013 1:13:00 PM More reviews by italiana800

I really don't understand all of the negative reviews for this product because for me, this works great. This is a great liquid eyeliner pen, especially to create a cat eye. This holds up all day, no cracking, smearing, easy to use (glides effortlessly) so you will maintain control of the pen, and great color selections. I have this in jet black & it truly is an intense black. I work in Sephora, & customers are always asking me what eyeliner I use when I wear this. I would definitely reccommend & I will continue to buy this. This is EXTREMELY comparable to Stila's liquid liner pen. I have compared the two side by side (I own & regularly use both, alternating between the two), and they are exactly the same & give the same effect, overall. The Smashbox one is actually a little bit of a darker black & the tip of the pen is a little bit stiffer, but not by that much to make a difference quite honestly. The reason I would actually buy this one over Stila's is because this one comes with more product and they are comparable in price.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/26/2013 5:05:00 PM More reviews by Luna101

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I wear this eyeliner everyday, not because it's my HG eyeliner but because I payed so much for it and feel bad for chucking it away...First things first, the brush is firm and the tip of the pen is short which doesn't really allow me to create a fine flick that easily. Therefore the application isn't completely smooth, thanks to the tip of the brush and the relativity thick content inside, I find it that it drags, a lot. What started out as a thin line is now some crazy thick graphic 60's stuff, not really ideal for everyday use (not for me anyway). I can't really complain about the colour although, I cannot fail to mention that it really doesn't dry matte in fact due to its 'liquidy' tone it aways seems wet, again not my cup of tea... But the thing that really annoys me about this eyeliner is that although it's not waterproof it doesn't not resist my eyelash curlers at all,which mean that I have to re-apply it like twice because most of the eyeliner seems to be gone (somewhere far away, somewhere only God knows, really? Really.) which gets in the way of my curled lashes and aaaaaaargh it's just a bit of a mess really, honestly expected more from smashbox :( £££££$$$$$

rated 4 of 5 on 8/20/2013 9:53:00 PM More reviews by firefox23

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This review is for the colour 'Jet Black'.

Firstly, I wear black liquid eyeliner EVERY day (seriously) - it's a staple in my daily makeup routine! I find that once you get the hang of liquid liners, you will sort of become obsessed, they are so quick and easy (once you've mastered them), and they create an instant 'pop' to the eyes. There are a few factors that make a great black liquid eyeliner, or at least things I consider important! So I've broken down this review into those categories as I find it may be helpful to anyone looking for a good black liquid liner.

Colour:
I look for the blackest of black when I choose a liquid liner - I think the Smashbox liner delivers! It's not the MOST black liner I have ever used but, it comes close. It's more of a mix between a matte and shiny finish, which I like. I prefer matte shades of black (like Urban Decay Perversion liner), however I find this isn't too shiny for my liking. If you want to, you can take a small liner brush and apply black eye shadow on top of it to create a matte look, and soften the line.

Application:
I LOVE the application of this liner. LOVE. I think as far as liquid liners are concerned, the applicator brush is so key to the product - this is by far my fave brush. I can't count how many liquid liners I've had, where I loved the colour and longevity, but the applicator was flimsy, not user friendly, and just generally a nightmare (Lancomes 'Art Liner' has a longer and flimsier felt tip, which is OK for thin lines but if you like to do the cat eye or winged look, I find it's hard to be precise). This liner has a great shape - easy to get a precise small/thin line, or do a full out bold winged eye look. It's really a dream.

Longevity/Formula:
The product isn't waterproof, but it is classified as long lasting. I have oily eyelids, so I've had a rough time in the past with transfer to the upper eyelid area with other brands. Currently I apply this over my Bobbi Brown long wear cream eyeshadow, and it lasts quite a while on my oily lids. I don't notice any transfer or smudging throughout the day. Overall I have no complaints about it flaking off (like I used to see with my Makeup Forever Aqua Liquid Liner), or fading too much. The formula isn't too dry or too liquidy (again like the Makeup Forever Liquid Liner, which used to be my 'go to', BTW).

So...overall I love this liquid liner. The only downside is the price ($30 Canadian). I do find it's better than most/all drugstore brands I've tried, so I am willing to foot the bill. I think it's awesome and I've worn it every day since purchasing it. I can't say HOW long the physical product lasts for, but I will update. This is a great choice for creating perfect and precise lines - thick, thin, cat eye, whatever! I'd recommend it to anyone!

Note: A cheeper alternative that I liked from the drugstore is Loreal Infallible 'the Super Slim' liquid eyeliner in Carbon Black. It falls short in terms of longevity, and fades/smudges slightly throughout the day on my oily eyelids, but it's overall a decent cheeper alternative to try.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/20/2013 10:08:00 AM More reviews by Leahcd

Got a few as a gift from the company to try out and at first the product works amazing, its loaded with liquid and its not dry, the tip is thin and it creates beautiful lines. I gotta say this product can last a little while, but just like any other liquid eyeliner it dries after. I gave it 4 lippes because i wish it lasted a bit longer, once it starts drying its very hard to use, you gotta push down the tip to get some liquid out but this creates a mess but not a thin line. So i prefer a liquid eyeliner in a pot, because this after 2 months is a bit of a mess..

rated 2 of 5 on 8/20/2013 6:47:00 AM More reviews by Rah3476

This eyeliner didn't work for me. It was quite dry, making it hard to apply, and didn't come out as black as I would have liked. It gets points for not smudging or cracking off, but I'm going to stick to my usual maybelline liquid liner.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/30/2013 11:48:00 PM More reviews by Cassyray123

I was so disappointed in this. I got it for twenty five dollars thinking that it would be amazing for its price and its brand. It was so hard to apply! I had to go over the line about six times to even get a decent, noticeable amount of pigment. It dried out completely within two weeks, and smeared terribly to the point I literally had raccoon eyes. I'm going to stick with my one dollar e.l.f liquid eyeliner- instead of throwing my money away in eyeliners that DON'T EVEN WORK.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/7/2013 1:22:00 PM More reviews by snowshoe73

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I was actually kind of disappointed in this. The application is where the liner lost major points with me. The felt tip is firm, which could provide for a precise line if the formula wasn't so dry and tough to apply. I intended to draw thinner lines but because the edges drawn were jagged due to the pen skipping and dragging, and then having to go back and try to smooth things out, the lines came out much thicker than desired.

On the positive side, the colors are true and rich, and the staying power is excellent. However, the lack of precision in application was the deal-breaker for me. If you like thick, bold lines this pen will deliver. But as I prefer thinner lines, I probably will not repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/21/2013 10:06:00 PM More reviews by kaycon

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Love this eyeliner! I only wear liquid eyeliner so I have tried quite a few different brands of liquid eyeliner. I was a little reluctant to go with a pen eyeliner because I have had bad experiences with the pen eyeliners drying out very quickly. This pen liner is excellent because it does not dry out. The formula is very pigmented and flows out well. The tip narrow tip allows for very precise application, and allows you to use different techniques and thickness, from a very thin, natural look, to thick, dramatic winged eyeliner. The only con of this liner is the price. It is on the expensive side. I live in Canada and it cost $25. But overall, this is an excellent eyeliner and well worth the money. I would definately buy this eyeliner again!