September 2, 2014 | 1870 users online

Moisturizers - Alba Botanica - Natural Acnedote Oil Control Lotion

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2014 8:44:00 PM More reviews by lushlife505

I enjoyed the scent of this and the slight cooling sensation it gives. I though I would like using it in the summer to help cool the skin but instead it felt greasy and heavy on the skin.
As far as oil control that was a joke. As usual it only made my oily skin worse. I did use the whole tube to give it a fair trial and this for me was a dud.
If it helps any none of the oil control lotions etc have ever worked on my skin.
I think this would be best for dry skin with blemishes as I feel it might be a bit heavy for even normal skin types.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/28/2013 7:08:00 PM More reviews by lyrastar

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is 1% Salicylic acid. When you put it on it will burn a bit. And over a few days, if you tend to slather it on , it will dry out your skin and make it feel raw. This is not unusual from an SA treatment as SA is meant to be an exfoliant and deep poor cleanser. **Because of this, I only use it as a spot treatment or over smaller trouble areas only. Don't use this in the same way you would use, say, the Clean and Clear acne lotions where you can apply it like a regular face lotion. It is too strong to be used this way. As far as oil control, I don't feel it works any miracles.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/25/2013 4:45:00 PM More reviews by koalaluff

I have mild to moderate acne (depending on the time of the month...), but I bought this mainly because I get a lot of clogged pores and my face gets super oily within a few hours. I have dry skin but even with a light moisturizer, my face still gets shiny after about 2-3 hours. My skin doesn't really FEEL moisturized after applying this lotion, but it is moisturized. I dislike the scent because it's so strong, but I don't smell it after application. So far, my clogged pores have decreased. The oil control is great - my face is not shiny but just dewy after 5 hours! I've never had a product work that well before, especially in humid southern California. If I used this in northern California, my face would probably stay matte the entire day.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/27/2013 1:31:00 PM More reviews by sept27

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

At first, I really loved this moisturizer! The salicylic acid in it made a huge impact on my acne prone skin. After using it for a month however, I have discovered that I can no longer use this product. After I wash my face and treat my acne with tea tree oil, I apply this moisturizer to my oily skin. I used to love this moisturizer and what it was doing for my skin, but now the great impact it had on my acne is gone and even worse; this product burns and burns for a minute straight after applying, leaving my face bright red for a good 30 minutes after! I don't know what caused this, but I am very disappointed. The oil control properties in this moisturizer, which originally drew me in, are non-existent. Too bad, because I really wanted to love this product.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/15/2013 5:09:00 PM More reviews by binap28

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I am in LOVE with this product after using it for only a MONTH so far!!
I have had acne since my very young teenage years, and this is the first product that seems to control the acne without giving me a dry skin problem.
I was using the Clearasil face wash, which had salicylic acid, so I thought this wouldn't really do much for me. I bought it from Walmart just to try it, and bought the Origins Zero Oil line that same week to try since I figured I wouldn't like this product more than a couple weeks anyway.
Well, turns out I LOVED this product so much, I returned the Origins zero oil moisturizer--it was more moisturizing/greasy. This product seems to have the right amount of moisturizer and medicine combination, but the natural ingredients are also clearly helping since I have tried the two ingredients before.
I was even able to pass it on to a brother last week, and he loves that his acne is being controlled better!!

I usually use this product after toner and before a matte makeup (MUFE Mat Velvet)

This product is a acne treatment and moisturizer, NOT A MATTIFIER!! So, you may need one if you don't want to use a matte makeup. I like the Peter Thomas Roth Anti-shine Mattifying gel if I'm not going to use makeup.
(I have VERY EXTREMELY oily skin, so this is the combination that works to keep the oil in check)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/20/2013 2:02:00 PM More reviews by asf

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

This stuff is fantastic. I am going through a stressful time and was breaking out in horrible, cystic acne (unusual for me) on my cheeks and jawline. Purchased this about 10 days ago because 1) I love my Alba papaya enzyme & deep sea masks and 2) the salicylic acid/moisturizer combo seemed like a great treatment for under makeup.

I have been using every morning after washing and toning. Have noticed a DRAMATIC improvement in the cystic acne on my cheeks and chin. Zero new zits since I've started using this. Has not dried out my skin at all. I don't know if I would say that this is an "oil control lotion," as my facial oiliness does not seem to have decreased, but I don't care because as an acne treatment, this stuff is spectacular.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/7/2013 5:57:00 PM More reviews by lauramarie03

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I am a huge fan (in the summer) of AB's Natural Hawaiian Oil Free Moisturizer, so I thought I'd love this one. My skin is sensitive as well as combination. From the first use, and every time after that, my skin felt a tingling sensation and quickly became not just extremely shiny but practically wet feeling. After a week of use I began breaking out (my skin is usually blemish free). I thought it was my skin adjusting and tried to stick with it but after a month of more intense acne I decided to go back to my old lotion. One week later, I am once again acne (and weird wet skin) free. If you have sensitive skin, beware this product..

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2013 12:34:00 AM More reviews by sammraovich

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is the great Alba product I keep talking about that has a 2% salicylic acid in it. It comes in 2 ounce size and is sold at Wal-Mart and Target and other stores. I have nothing bad to say about it. If you are concerned about shine you may want to put on a powder foundation, and Mary Kay does have great powder foundations. (Note: as with all powder foundations, you apply with a brush, and you should be washing out your brush about twice a month, and Mary Kay's Deep Cleansing Soap #3 from the Classic Basic line has enough preservatives to kill that bacteria in the brush and make it literally new! That's what I use on my face and to clean my brush) Before putting on your foundation, let this Alba lotion sit on your face for about 10 minutes so the acids have a chance to break down blackheads and whiteheads. Or, use it at night and then you don't need a powder foundation on. The 2% Alba toner is very good too. I love that and it performs well at controlling oil so it won't harden in your pores. If Mary Kay could create something like this, I would switch to their brand, but I've called a million times over the last 3 years with no success. God! How can they be in the world of skin care and not have a very well formulated salicylic acid product??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/26/2012 2:43:00 PM More reviews by KaelynMarie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I use this everyday under my makeup. It is awesome and keeps my face from getting as oily as well as clearing breakouts. I love it. A friend of mine tried it and immediately went out and bought some for herself.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/2/2012 5:53:00 PM More reviews by lulu94

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm surprised at the bad reviews for this product. I'm really, really thrilled with it! I bought it at walmart for $11, very reasonable. I have normal/slightly combination skin - as in, as long as I use a 2% salicylic acid cleanser daily, I don't really get breakouts. Maybe one-two zits per month, at most. However, the salicylic acid wash does dry out my skin and cause my nose, mouth and forehead areas to become dry and flaky. Unfortunately most moisturizers I have tried break me out - the only one that has not, until now, was clean & clear dual action. That one worked awesome for my skin. One issue - I prefer to keep products that are absorbed by my skin (lotions, deodorant, etc) all-natural. It just grosses me out to think my skin is drinking up a bunch of chemicals. This is the ONLY natural moisturizer that I have gotten to work for me! Doesn't cause pimples, yet still moisturizes enough. I'm so happy!

I think one reason others were disappointed in this was they purchased it for the purpose of oil control. I must mention that I do not have any issues with oiliness- I never need to blot or apply powder, so I did not purchase this moisturizer for that purpose and can't comment on it's effectiveness for that purpose.