Alba Botanica Natural Acnedote Oil Control Lotion

2.9

Not tested on animals

on 6/1/2015 12:23:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Not good. The first time I put it on I thought it was going to work out; it felt nice, smelled good to me, and it seemed to make my skin matte. Plus it's kind of hard to find a natural moisturizer that has 2% salicylic acid. Normally I have 4-5 pimples on my face at a time but here I am 5 days later and I literally have probably 30! I am covered. A couple of them are even cystic. It's so awful. I have to appear in court in a couple of days and I look like THIS.
To be fair, I bought this with the face wash and the moisturizer was 7 months expired and didn't realize it until later but I don't think that's what's wrong.
What a bummer :(

I've been looking for a moisturizer that worked 2X daily for 14 years. Every time I found one that seemed to be good for my fussy face (combination oily skin..dryer in winter, oily-er in summer humidity...acne-prone...medium to larger pores...SUPER unforgiving of a poor diet and me not drinking enough water...etc), it was good for a month or so then would join the ranks of half used moisturizers that I had to stop using. I started using the Alba Botanica body wash a couple years ago and fell in love, so when my walmart started carrying some Alba Botanica products and my Burt's Bees Acne face wash just wasn't cutting it, I tried the Acnedote face wash and FELL HARD! My new HG for sure. Been using it every day sometimes 2X/day (I try not to over wash and I rarely wear makeup every day) for over a year and a half and it has stayed just as awesome as the first week I used it. Last spring (2014) I decided to try the Acnedote Oil Control Lotion and after the first week I was HOOKED. I grimaced each time I applied, thinking surely THIS was going to be the time it went bust for me. Almost a year later and I'm still waiting...I don't believe it will happen...ever. This stuff rocks my world under primer and makeup even. It has a mattifying effect for me. I have re-purchased it twice.

on 1/2/2015 1:48:00 PM

Does NOTHING to control my oil, to be honest it even has a greasy feel to it. Don't like the smell or the texture. Horrible lotion. Really I tossed it out.

on 8/28/2014 8:44:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

I enjoyed the scent of this and the slight cooling sensation it gives. I though I would like using it in the summer to help cool the skin but instead it felt greasy and heavy on the skin.
As far as oil control that was a joke. As usual it only made my oily skin worse. I did use the whole tube to give it a fair trial and this for me was a dud.
If it helps any none of the oil control lotions etc have ever worked on my skin.
I think this would be best for dry skin with blemishes as I feel it might be a bit heavy for even normal skin types.

on 9/28/2013 7:08:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

This is 1% Salicylic acid. When you put it on it will burn a bit. And over a few days, if you tend to slather it on , it will dry out your skin and make it feel raw. This is not unusual from an SA treatment as SA is meant to be an exfoliant and deep poor cleanser. **Because of this, I only use it as a spot treatment or over smaller trouble areas only. Don't use this in the same way you would use, say, the Clean and Clear acne lotions where you can apply it like a regular face lotion. It is too strong to be used this way. As far as oil control, I don't feel it works any miracles.

on 9/25/2013 4:45:00 PM

I have mild to moderate acne (depending on the time of the month...), but I bought this mainly because I get a lot of clogged pores and my face gets super oily within a few hours. I have dry skin but even with a light moisturizer, my face still gets shiny after about 2-3 hours. My skin doesn't really FEEL moisturized after applying this lotion, but it is moisturized. I dislike the scent because it's so strong, but I don't smell it after application. So far, my clogged pores have decreased. The oil control is great - my face is not shiny but just dewy after 5 hours! I've never had a product work that well before, especially in humid southern California. If I used this in northern California, my face would probably stay matte the entire day.

on 6/27/2013 1:31:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

At first, I really loved this moisturizer! The salicylic acid in it made a huge impact on my acne prone skin. After using it for a month however, I have discovered that I can no longer use this product. After I wash my face and treat my acne with tea tree oil, I apply this moisturizer to my oily skin. I used to love this moisturizer and what it was doing for my skin, but now the great impact it had on my acne is gone and even worse; this product burns and burns for a minute straight after applying, leaving my face bright red for a good 30 minutes after! I don't know what caused this, but I am very disappointed. The oil control properties in this moisturizer, which originally drew me in, are non-existent. Too bad, because I really wanted to love this product.

on 6/15/2013 5:09:00 PM

I am in LOVE with this product after using it for only a MONTH so far!!
I have had acne since my very young teenage years, and this is the first product that seems to control the acne without giving me a dry skin problem.
I was using the Clearasil face wash, which had salicylic acid, so I thought this wouldn't really do much for me. I bought it from Walmart just to try it, and bought the Origins Zero Oil line that same week to try since I figured I wouldn't like this product more than a couple weeks anyway.
Well, turns out I LOVED this product so much, I returned the Origins zero oil moisturizer--it was more moisturizing/greasy. This product seems to have the right amount of moisturizer and medicine combination, but the natural ingredients are also clearly helping since I have tried the two ingredients before.
I was even able to pass it on to a brother last week, and he loves that his acne is being controlled better!!

I usually use this product after toner and before a matte makeup (MUFE Mat Velvet)

This product is a acne treatment and moisturizer, NOT A MATTIFIER!! So, you may need one if you don't want to use a matte makeup. I like the Peter Thomas Roth Anti-shine Mattifying gel if I'm not going to use makeup.
(I have VERY EXTREMELY oily skin, so this is the combination that works to keep the oil in check)

on 2/20/2013 2:02:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

This stuff is fantastic. I am going through a stressful time and was breaking out in horrible, cystic acne (unusual for me) on my cheeks and jawline. Purchased this about 10 days ago because 1) I love my Alba papaya enzyme & deep sea masks and 2) the salicylic acid/moisturizer combo seemed like a great treatment for under makeup.

I have been using every morning after washing and toning. Have noticed a DRAMATIC improvement in the cystic acne on my cheeks and chin. Zero new zits since I've started using this. Has not dried out my skin at all. I don't know if I would say that this is an "oil control lotion," as my facial oiliness does not seem to have decreased, but I don't care because as an acne treatment, this stuff is spectacular.

I am a huge fan (in the summer) of AB's Natural Hawaiian Oil Free Moisturizer, so I thought I'd love this one. My skin is sensitive as well as combination. From the first use, and every time after that, my skin felt a tingling sensation and quickly became not just extremely shiny but practically wet feeling. After a week of use I began breaking out (my skin is usually blemish free). I thought it was my skin adjusting and tried to stick with it but after a month of more intense acne I decided to go back to my old lotion. One week later, I am once again acne (and weird wet skin) free. If you have sensitive skin, beware this product..