September 18, 2014 | 1015 users online

Eyeliner - Smashbox - Soft Focus Powder Eyeliner

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/12/2013 12:18:00 PM More reviews by snowshoe73

It definitely makes a soft-focus eyeliner look that is beautiful. The brown color is a nice, soft shade that is not harsh at all and goes well with a variety of eyeshadow shades. But there's also fallout to deal with because of the formula and its applicator. To deal with the fallout, you'd best put some extra face powder under your eyes so it can catch the fallout and you can whisk it away, or do your eyes before making up the rest of your face.

The applicator tip is also on the larger size, so it won't do a precise line...but I guess that's the point of "soft-focus," right?

Unfortunately, wear time is poor. I applied it to the upper eyelid, and it was gathering under my eyes after only two hours of wear. And this was on a dry, comfortable day!

This was a gift-with-purchase so it cost me nothing. Would I buy it for full price? Definitely not. I can get just as good of an effect--with less mess and for less money--with an eyeliner brush and some eyeshadow.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/23/2012 6:21:00 PM More reviews by blooiejagwa

One of the few times I must disagree with majority here. I have it in gunmetal. It works well for my smokey eye. I don't experience fallout tbh. And the colour is perfect, with flecks of glitter. I use this on my waterline with no irritation or redness. I'm sorry other ppl aren't liking it, but have you tried shaking bottle, tapping excess, before lining? Maybe it will help salvage a rather expensive buy?

rated 4 of 5 on 5/1/2011 11:05:00 PM More reviews by Marcelaine

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this eyeliner. goes on perfectly/smoothly and didn't flake or come off until I took a shower in the evening. I purchased the aubergine color. Looks great on brown eyes!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/24/2011 1:41:00 PM More reviews by CuddleCore

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

Wow! Maybe I am crazy or something. But I love this eyeliner! & I have never had any problems with flakes or it running down my face! I was actually surprised to see that Every review was a 1!
But here are my experiences with this ... I purchased it in brown for a nice subtle liner & it gave me just that. I use it about everyday for a natural look. When I apply it though I kinda shake it before I open and use. And I just dab it on ...or gentle smudge. I never have it run or flake. It sits right where I put it. & though I love it so much ... I gave it 4 simply because it doesn't last all day. But It's not Gone by noon ...still noticeable ...just not as bold but I completely understand that since it is a light powder.
But I def recommend it for anyone looking for a natural look ..it's soo easy to use and I would love to get it grey & the new black shade they have come out with.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/21/2011 11:17:00 AM More reviews by SavvyChic

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

The concept is good, however it falls all down your face when applying and there's no way around it unless you hold a tissue under your eyes. I have used powder liners in the past but because the applicator is stored in the tube, it has so much on it that it can't be helped to fall all over your face. I suppose you could wipe the wand off and hold the tissue but it is a lot more work than their Waterproof Shadow Liner which gives a soft line look. I wish that Smashbox would keep a good liner idea as mentioned in their line instead of always "onto the next idea" because even though in theory it's good, in reality it isn't. Guess I will have to back to pencils...

(It seems they are phasing their Waterproof Shadow Liner out at QVC as they only have 3 colors left and no longer have the options to sell it with the brushes & have the other colors only in kits that once they sell out are gone.)

rated 1 of 5 on 10/24/2010 1:02:00 PM More reviews by perfumequeen

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Awful stuff. The concept is good, but it flakes ALL over the place, worse than any other eyeliner I've ever purchased. I love Smashbox pencils - have lots of the Muse line and bought backups, even - but I sent this right back.

PLUS it had little shiny flakes in it.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/20/2010 1:16:00 PM More reviews by Jolene5329

I agree with the Z's review. By noon this stuff is gone, gone, gone!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/7/2010 3:57:00 PM More reviews by ziebam

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I haven't written a review in a long time, but this product is so bad that i had to warn others. Smashbox introduced this new product in August 2010.

Smashbox lists this as:
This innovative powder eyeliner creates a soft-focus line that never looks harsh or severe.

Who is it for: All women looking to achieve softer definition from their eyeliner. If you've used eye shadow to achieve this look in the past, but have been disappointed by the application (flaking or fading throughout the day), this is the liner you'll want to reach for.

Why is it different: So often, we want subtle definition at the lash line instead of the dense line you get from a traditional eyeliner. This powder liner allows you to achieve definition to make your eye color and eye shape stand out, but because the powder allows for a more smoldering effect, it's the eyeliner of choice for casual days or softer evenings out. You can't achieve this look with the traditional waxy crayon pencil. The powder formula is truly unique!

How do I use it: Using the wand, gently glide the powder beginning at the outer corner of your top, bottom, or both lash lines. Simply drag the liner across your lashes until you've achieved the desired depth and shape. This formula can also be applied thicker along the top lash line, over a base shadow for smoky results.

From smashbox.
•Includes 0.025 oz eyeliner in Charcoal, a black with metallic shade
•Made in Germany".

Well, first off, when you tap this is still drops down all over your face and is a pain to take off. i do have to admit application is easy, it just glides on for a very perfect line that isnt too thick or too thin. But the rest of your face is still a mess! THe color is described as metallic?? No flat soft black. THats it. The worst part if this product is that it doesnt last at all. by mid day i had raccoon eyes and looked awful!. Retails for $22, skip this product its a mess and doesnt live up to the hype!