September 18, 2014 | 2066 users online

Fragrances - Caron - Bellodgia

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/18/2014 6:06:00 AM More reviews by violette

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

A lovely carnation confection with that signature Caron dark vanilla base. Bellodgia is delicious stuff & like Nuit de Noel, was love at first sniff for me. This is for the current EDT in the purple box, which, according to purists, is not worth the bother. But I beg to differ... although I have never experienced the original/vintage, I still think the reformulation is beautiful & CERTAINLY doesn't deserve the vilifications. I've smelled MUCH, MUCH worse reformulations of classics that should've just died a dignified death a long time ago & believe me, the Carons don't count among them. My only gripe, of course, is the poor longevity... thankfully, the EDT lasts exceptionally well (& smells absolutely scrumptious) on clothing. And for the record, I don't get the pine note mentioned by msm4slm & ellizam below.

The notes from Fragrantica:

Top: Carnation, Ylang-ylang
Heart: Carnation, Lily-of-the-Valley, Jasmine, Rose
Base: Sandalwood, Musk

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/30/2013 5:59:00 PM More reviews by fergiefergie

Ordered a sample of this from Lucky Scent. Had such high hopes for it, as Iove the spicy scent of carnations. I have dry skin that is notorious for devouring fragrances. Unfortunately, it devoured this one almost instantly. Applied it 30 minutes ago. Have to press my nose against my wrist to barely smell a soapy nothing of a scent.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/15/2013 2:43:00 PM More reviews by debrsl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been able to try two versions of Bellodgia; there was quite a difference between the two. The first was a vintage cologne. The topnotes were unpleasant, but then the carnation itself unfolded. I'm not sure exactly what was off, as the only topnote listed is carnation, and the carnation itself was beautiful. Also incredibly beautiful was the drydown; just stunning. Rich. The next sample was the modern EDT. It was pathetic. I had to use the whole 2 ml sample to obtain any scent. It went straight to carnation; however, it was not nearly as full-bodied as the carnation in the vintage cologne. And there is none of the gorgeous drydown in the modern version at all. In short, unless you want a weak, simplistic carnation fragrance, don't bother with the current EDT. If you can find a vintage that doesn't have a poor beginning--or if you can just wait through that--the vintage is a great carnation fragrance.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/6/2012 4:14:00 PM More reviews by remychic

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have the edp version of this and I find it to be quite lovely. It is a spicy carnation-based floral. I don't smell pine at all, which other reviewers mention on the edp so I would recommend trying it first. The sillage is excellent. After 12 hours I could still smell it on my arm. If you like carnations and spicy florals I would recommend that you try it first. I plan on keeping it in my perfume collection with a consistent rotation because I find it to be a perfect carnation fragrance.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/6/2012 3:31:00 PM More reviews by alba75

Bellodgia is a lovely perfume with warm notes of carnation, clove and cinnamon. The perfume is not cloying, when worn during sweltering summer heat. It is spicy and light at the same time. Alas, it smelt like "Red Mosow" by Novaya Zarya on me.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/14/2011 5:37:00 AM More reviews by kerriki

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

The old Bellodgia was lovely...how misguided I was in the days (before I realised one had to collect everything beautiful, never even dreaming it would just disappear) when I thought I could go back and get it...
Old Bellodgia is beautifull...the new one does not even approximate it...
Somehow it is just a zingy dusty sort of thing...its not rock bottom, in fact quite unusual and definitely worth trying, but never buy the new vesion unsniffed...

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/20/2010 9:49:00 AM More reviews by msm4slm

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Please read Ellizam's review below. I recently purchased the edt version of Bellodgia. I had a sample of the pure parfum from the Perfumed Court and loved it.

I personally love to spray perfume, so I thought I would try the edt instead (avoiding the edp per Ellizam's advice). I love Caron's Muguet du Bonheur and get excellent results with the edt. So why not?

Unfortunately, it has been my experience that the edt also has a very strong pine note. Ellizam is right on the target when she describes it as such below. She describes it perfectly but I would add I do not recommend the edt, either.

I also want to say that I get very little powdery quality which I had hoped for, even in the drydown. I guess I was hoping for a carnation version of Muguet du Bonheur, but in this case that awful pine note just really dominates!

I do not want to do this perfume injustice, however, as the pure parfum was just lovely. Too bad we can't send a letter to Caron (What WERE you thinking; don't you smell this stuff before you release it with your good name on it??)! Perhaps they are just unfamiliar with Pinesol and the fact that American women don't want to smell like household cleaner??

I also caution I am unsure as to whether I received a vintage or new version of the pure parfum from Perfumed Court. I will be more cautious in the future as to which version I purchase--particularly with Carons.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/22/2009 5:16:00 PM More reviews by ellizam

Bellodgia is a tricky little product. I long suspected that different formulas are used in the different concentrations and one MUA'er claims she got confirmation of this at Caron in Paris. Here's what I can attest to: the edt and the parfum are spicy/floral confections of carnation (cinnamon and clove-y kind), lily, and jasmine over the classic creamy/vanillic Caron base. The edp is different and to my nose, unpleasant, with a distinctly predominant pine note. You can find the pine note, or rather a hint of the pine note in the edt and parfum, but it is overwhelming in the edp and not in a good way.

The lotion, especially the lait version, are exquisite, and the sillage of Bellodgia is a dream. As with all Carons, the packaging is glorious. I've not noticed a particular difference over age with this, and the parfums I've gotten in it were both quite nice. I'm not sure this is a fragrance where one needs the parfum -- the edt is lasting and has good sillage and basenote retention. One does not, ever, for any reason (unless one is a pine note afficianado, poor creature) need the edp. Frankly, I'm a little pissed off at the tweak. Why on earth would they foreground the pine note? -- it's awful.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2009 10:33:00 PM More reviews by reikigoddess

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Can anyone comment on the parfum/extrait vs. the EDT & EDP. I've tried both the EDT & EDP and while it's a beautiful scent it's WAY too powdery for me. I'm finding that Carons, like Guerlains, are really worth the investment for the pure perfume. If I smelled Farnesiana in EDT or EDP I would never have wanted to even try the extrait & it's absolutely gorgeous, imo.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/19/2009 11:54:00 PM More reviews by Dagney

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Classy, floral fragrance that's a spicy carnation in the beginning drying down to a delicious, spicy vanilla. Very nice.