July 29, 2014 | 2044 users online

Hair Color - Palette by Nature

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2014 12:43:00 PM More reviews by Kittymarch

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I had a good experience with the product both the permanent and the touch up versions. It blended in the grays around my hairline nicely. I think it takes a day or two on the hair to oxidise and develop the colour. Glad to have found a product that is cosmetically acceptable without PPDs.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/5/2014 10:21:00 PM More reviews by sbjazevics

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I normally use Eccocolors, but the problem is that after 2 weeks my hair becomes redish, so I decided to try Palette by Nature, I am sad I did.
I have few white hairs, like 20, and after a lenghthy 1 hour, the greys were not covered :(. Also, before coloring with palette by nature, my hair was soft, now it feels like there is some product build up. Dont waste your money, people who have left positive reviews are probably paid by the company

rated 2 of 5 on 4/4/2014 10:54:00 PM More reviews by Darunee

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

My hair went from brown to completely white when I was in my 20s. I've been coloring it ever since...over 20 years now. Presently, I am medium blonde but still color my hair every week because my hair grows fast & I hate white roots. My scalp is very sensitive and I am feeling the effects of years & years of harsh chemicals. So, I was excited to try something new and natural. I give this company kudos for trying to fill the niche market of natural hair color products. It will work for some people, but unfortunately it did not work for me. I bought two boxes b'cz some reviews said I may have to apply twice. Total cost with shipping was over $60. I was disappointed that I had to apply the base first, then the color (instead of mixing beforehand) because I have a LOT of hair & it's so time consuming. The directions say to completely saturate the hair with the base. As I was just doing my roots, and the bottle was so small (2 oz?), I just put the base on my roots. Imagine my utter disappointment when that little bottle wasn't enough to cover the roots of even half my head. I had to open the 2nd box and use that base. Then I applied the color over that (one 2 oz bottle was enough for that). I sat under a heat lamp for half an hour, then rinsed. On a positive note, I liked how smooth & soft the hair was that got colored. I wanted so much for this to work. Sadly, my scalp did not respond well. It got red and was a little bit itchy...not bad, but enough for me to notice. My scalp did get stained, so that when I scratched, brown came under my fingernails. The worst part, my blonde hair turned brown (even though I was using light blonde under the company's recommendation), and my grays were hardly touched. The directions say to completely cover gray might take two or three applications, but I find the time and cost involved to do that on a weekly basis is absolutely prohibitive, even for me, and I'm a desperate person. My suggestion for you is, if you have no gray hair and desire an all-over darker color and don't have thick hair, this product will probably work for you. Conversely, if you have blonde hair color, thick hair, and gray roots, I do NOT recommend it. Basically, I spent over $60 on a product that didn't work, but I don't really regret it. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/5/2013 3:16:00 AM More reviews by yummycupcake

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I wanted to like this product. I REALLY, REALLY did. But after several attempts at trying to dye my gray hair, I gave up on it.
Here are my reasons:
1. Customer Service. There wasn't any. I contacted the company many times prior to purchasing because I had some very important concerns and questions regarding their dyes. I'm highly allergic to PPD and conventional hair color. I know this product doesn't contain harsh chemicals however, I had written to them with some questions that were exceptionally important to me and never received a response. This both frustrated and angered me immensely.

2. Base Coat. The base coat, the first application product, burns my scalp and smells like nothing more than rubbing alcohol.

3.Coverage. What coverage?! I applied this product TWICE and experienced a veeeeeeery slight hint of color deposit. This pissed me off. A lot.

4. Staining. My SCALP received so much staining from this product (5N) that I spend almost 30 minutes trying to remove it! A week later and it's still on my scalp, while my hair is white/gray.

5.Price. For the price, this had better work. And it did not for me.

I am very thankful that chemical free hair color exists, but I'm also heartbroken that it did not work for me.
It's not like I can contact the company and troubleshoot. NOBODY contacts you back!!
UGH.

So pissed off.

Just a bit about me; I'm 35 and have been going gray since I was 17 years old. I look dreadful with gray/white hair and it depresses me a great deal. I became extremely allergic to conventional hair dye after I got sick with a chronic illness. Upon dying my hair one night, I couldn't breathe, I felt faint and I began to shake. Conventional hair dye was no longer an option for me. I cried for so long about my options or lack of options. I was so upset about it that I passed out. (I know, kind of pathetic) But this is how upset I was that I couldn't cover my disgusting white scraggly hairs. I have coarse, wavy hair too.So talk about haggard.
God, I'm so pissed this didn't work. I guess it's just time for me to bite the bullet and either try henna or go grey. As I see it, those are my only options.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/13/2012 9:53:00 PM More reviews by Teacherof3

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

II have been using Palette by Nature hair color for four years, and I had to write a review after reading many of the negative reviews on this thread. This is a totally non-toxic hair color. No other brand except henna compares to it in that regard. But unlike henna, this product can deliver a plant-based color that is not red or red-tones. You can get a beautiful brown that compliments a cool skin tone. When it comes to covering gray, it does take more than one application to build up the coverage. But once you have that established, you will be fine. It does run darker than pictured, so select a shade lighter than you want your hair to be. Light brown will give you a rich medium to dark brown color. Medium brown will give you a dark brown, and so on. If you put a cap on and apply a hair dryer, you may turn those sections darker (especially if you have long hair) since the hair dryer only heats up parts of the head. I prefer to apply the product and just leave it on for an hour or more with no heat. It comes out more even that way. Plan on buying extra if you are covering gray, so you can do another application to get started. Yes, it is very expensive, but you get what you pay for - a totally non-toxic hair color.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/3/2012 7:42:00 PM More reviews by shel2boys

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I liked the idea of no chemicals and a healthier way to color the small amount of gray in my hair. Huge mistake - I was very disappointed and now my hair feels like it has a residue that cannot be washed out. It did not really cover the little bit of gray in my part line. I left a message with the company but haven't received a phone call yet. I used 5N and it was not a medium brown either! I didn't see these reviews before I ordered and tried the product, but I really wish I had. My hair was healthy and shiny before and now dull and ruff - very disappointed with this product! Not sure what I can do to make it feel normal again - any suggestions appreciated.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/27/2012 8:38:00 PM More reviews by swimkick

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Grey, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I read the reviews on this site AFTER trying Palette by Nature. At first, I was shocked at the outcome. However, I decided to try it again, but with a different way of applying it. I used a hair color application brush cut shorter instead of the bottle. I was careful to keep the contact with my scalp to a minimum with both the base and the color. By sectioning out my hair FIRST, it went well. I treated it like a root touch-up then combed the color through my hair sections then clipped the sections up. I did NOT use the plastic cap. Instead I put the bonnet for the dryer right on my head for the amount of time the instructions said. Keeping in mind that silvery-white hair is harder to get color to cover, I expect to touch them up with the color again this weekend. I cut a lemon in sections and rubbed it on the sink and tub to clean up spills. It is cheaper than lemon juice and very effective. This was the better way that worked for me. I am allergic to PPD and have celiac disease. My options are limited. Hopefully this is helpful to someone.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/3/2011 3:11:00 AM More reviews by Emma05

Boy, I wish I had seen this site before purchasing, as well as "experiencing" the outcome of using this product.
This afternoon I had my hairstylist of 12 years apply this product (color 5N) exactly as directed. What resulted was nothing short of a nightmare.
My scalp is now a majestic shade of coal, with bluish undertones. Whatever gray was at my roots is still gray, my hair feels dry, the color is close to being black (not even close to the image on the website or on the box) , and my scalp feels "tight" and a bit itchy.
Their advisement of using the lemon juice solution to remove the staining, only resulted in further irritation and a bit of a rash developing.
Everyone in the salon was so concerned when they witnessed what had transpired.
I am going to contact the company and ask for a full refund. I might even send in pictures of what my hair/scalp looks like. (and it's not pretty)

Please be careful before using this product !

rated 1 of 5 on 10/18/2011 8:46:00 AM More reviews by Katilda

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This product is even worse than a regular bad product because it gives hope in an almost hopeless quest for a natural hair color and then brutally crashes it.
The application was alright - but i did at a salon. A bit lengthy but it would have been acceptable if the color had been good. In my case - a waste of 2 hours.
i bought 6g, which i expected to be warm medium brown color. When wet it looked totally black but when i rinsed it and dried my hair it turned out to be dark brown with unpleasant bluish-greenish undertones. The hair looked rather dull. The worst part – it colored my sculp. I have a habit of scratching my head from time to time so my nails always looked dirty because of the color residual. It lasted for 2 weeks (I wash my hair every other day) and was really annoying!
Finally – it didn’t color my grays! I have maybe 20 of them, but they are right in my bangs – very visible((( so I have to color. All that waste of time and money and suffering with nails and absolutely no effect! Really disappointing…
It’s been almost a month now. The bluish-greening undertones have faded, but the color is still somewhat dirty and cold. I didn’t notice any change in the texture of my hair so at least thanks for that!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/12/2011 10:42:00 AM More reviews by eajones33

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Background: I have been using a combination of henna and indigo to color my hair. I have naturally dark brown hair with only a couple of strands of gray. However my natural hair color seemed to be duller than it used to be a little lighter, especially around the temples. So I used the Henna and indigo to give my hair the rich color it used to have, but without all the harmful chemicals found in regular hair dye. However, the henna/indigo process is messy and takes hours. I went from leaving it on for 3 hours to eventually having to leave it on 6 hours. I wanted something that was still natural, but took less time.

Searching the internet I found an organic salon that used the Palette by Nature product. Then I discovered it was an at home kit. I ordered 4n, natural dark brown and 6cb light chesnut brown (the only color that can be combined with 4n). I had read that 4n can come out really dark almost black and I did not want black hair. My natural color is a very dark brown, but with a hint of warmth. My stylist put the color on for me. We decided the brush on method would be best. We combined 3/4 of the 4n to 1/4 6cb. Smell was nice. Did not have that chemical smell most hair dyes have or that awful henna smell. I left it on for an hour under the salon's bonnet dryer rather that the usual 35-40 minutes because the company stated that hair that has been hennaed can be diffucult to color over. The color turned out beautiful and exactly what I wanted. There are only a couple of grey strands that did not pick up the color, but I know this has buildable color and since I did not have a lot of grey to begin with, I don't mind that it will take a couple of applications to cover the grey. I took one lippie off because of price and it does stain the scalp. However, it is not that hard to get the stain off your scalp and I prefer that to horrible harmful chemicals.