November 28, 2014 | 1257 users online

Palettes - Urban Decay - Book of Shadows Vol. III

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/27/2013 8:53:00 AM More reviews by BriddaBella

I bought this online because I live in the middle of nowhere. My first problem is that they this palette used to have 2 eyeliners and one primer potion included with it and now it only comes with one eyeliner!

I already own the Ammo and the Naked Palette so when I got this one I noticed that 6 of these colours I already own from the other palettes.
Then there are 2 brownish colours YDK and Stray Dog, which are really similar to the colours from my Naked palette.

On top of that this palette has 4 glitter eyeshadows (Goddess, Midnight Cowboy, Uzi, Oil Slick), which are really chunky and in my opinion unwearable. They don't blend well and there is too much fall out.

Then there are colours I simply would never use like Haight and Aquarius.
That leaves me with only 2 new wearable colours (Rockstar, Ecstasy) that I don't already have and which don't look similar to any eyeshadows from the other Urban Decay palettes.

I wish they Urban Decay would have focused on making great new eyeshadows instead this "Book of Shadows" is a "Book of Repromotes and Unwearable Shadows". The packaging is kind of tacky as well and it's wayyyy to big and heavy. The mirror doesn't even hold up on its own and keeps closing.

Overall it's a disappointing product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/1/2012 10:04:00 PM More reviews by mandiluk

I finally decided to use it. It was in my drawer for about a year and I didn't want to use it because I had a lot more shadows to finish up.

All I have to say is, why didn't I start using it earlier. The first color I was drawn to was Bordello. Absolutely beautiful pink champagne color. A tad darker and with very little sparkles. All the colors are very buttery smooth. I use Perversion, a matte black to line my eyes. Absolutely love the smoothness and consistancy of all the colors. Uzi, a white glitter and Maui Wowi, beige glitter, are lovely colors for a night out because of the glitter. Just gotta be super careful with the fall out.

I actually can not wait to try out Haight, a teal green blue color with some shimmer.
Absolutely LOVEE!!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/28/2012 10:24:00 PM More reviews by emma_wonders

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

The packaging while not even remotely practical is certainly gorgeous and fun. The actual eye shadows are beautiful colors and nicely pigmented BUT unless you want to press a tissue on the rest of your face while applying (even with specialty glitter eye shadow brush/applicators) you will have the very unfortunate glitter fallout from disco ball hell going on. I've had this palette since the month it was released- and it's still in virtually mint condition. I tried using some of it today..the look was nice (I used four different colors in a classic technique to neutrally define my eye) but my husband actually laughed when he saw the amount of glitter on my face afterwards. I'm glad my husband laughed- because I tried in vain to get rid of all the excess fallout and this is a sign that I can't really use these without worrying about my face being a glitter project :\. Would not purchase again, only truly useful for a specific segment of make up consumers IMO. Other than a few more subtle shimmer colors I won't be purchasing UD eye shadow again.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/24/2012 4:22:00 PM More reviews by MrzVentura

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am in love with this pallett...I use this all the time and I still havent hit pan on any shadow...the colors are amazing ( like all UD shadows) and my son gets a kick out of the pop up stuff. Love love love love this. I can't really say anything else but I love this thing!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/18/2012 1:14:00 AM More reviews by alexa1995

Let me begin by saying that this is a palette for those who enjoy nighttime/dramatic eye looks!! The packaging is cute, but I care about the product. The palette comes with 16 eyeshadows (equivalent in grams to about half of a MAC eyeshadow each) two small eyeliners, and a mini Primer Potion. The pigmentation of the shadows is fantastic. Kush, Radium, Haight, and Psychedelic Sister are my favorite shadows in the palette. While given a few neutrals to work with, there isn't a matte blending or highlighting shade. This palette is full of shimmer and glitter, but for colorful looks, the Book of Shades III cannot be beat!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/18/2012 12:09:00 PM More reviews by slightlyobsessive

I received this as a gift, I have to admit I probably wouldn't have bought such a bright lot of eyeshadows from looking at them!! But now I have played around a bit and worked out what shadows can be worn when I love this palette. I love Smog and Suspect for every day - just slap them on - or Bordello for a bit of colour. Radium, Psychedelic Sister, Last Call and Kush are also really good for if you want more colour, like going out, and I love Rockstar for a purply smoky eye. I'll admit I mostly use Perversion as a liner as black smoky eyes don't really work on me, but I love using shadow as a liner so it's not an issue! The only colour I can't use is Loaded, it doesn't seem to work on me, I'm quite fair with very light, like creepy luminous green eyes (cat eyes lol) and it just doesn't seem to go with my colouring. I don't like Zero as a liner either, I find it sort of very smudgy? Even with the UDPP, which I LOVE. The purple liner is quite nice though, and as I already said, I love UDPP. So overall, I think this palette is worth your money, although I don't know about availability because I know BOS IV has come out, I only said I wouldn't buy it again because I don't think I will ever finish it. But for me UD shadows are totally worth the money :)

rated 4 of 5 on 4/12/2012 1:23:00 PM More reviews by Morahmakeupblog

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Another great BOS from Urban Decay, this one is quite different from BOS II which had more neutral colors, BOS III's colors are warmer and more pigmented, making it a worthy purchase even though I already own BOS II.

Uzi, MCRA, and Maui Wowie have large glitter in them and do cause fallout. Snatch has less glitter and less fallout. Everything else is shimmery without glitter.

With 16 eyeshadows to choose from, there is something for everyone and every occasion. If you love the endless combinations from a big palette like this, then BOS III is an excellent choice.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/3/2012 12:10:00 AM More reviews by LauraAnn13

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

My best friend got this for me as a gift and I love it! I would have never even though of buying it for the price but after using the PERFECT liner and the nicely pigmented shadows i totally would buy it myself. I love all the colors and the primer never fails!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/26/2012 9:51:00 AM More reviews by luxlover79

This is my first UD palette and got it after reading great reviews. I was curious to try how pigmented UD shadows are. My only Urban Decay purchase before this palette were the pigments and I was satisfied with the vivid colors and shimmer. It made me wanna try more UD products. When this palette arrived to me, first thing I did was swatch the colors. I was shocked that a very light tap of my finger gets a lot of color.The exact colors on the palette is what you'll get on ur lids! I love glittery shades but this palette would have been convenient to tote around if there are more matte colors in it. However, some of the colors here are very UD original, nothing like the colors I seen before in other brands. That will keep me interested in buying UD in the future. I personally refer to this palette now as my intense-color-and-glitter palette :) Now, for the packaging, I won't blame it for being thick and fancy coz that's what gets us peolple to lust for these book of shadows series,ha ha! Admit it or not, Urban Decay got the huge raves (and sales) coz of these overly designed palettes. They are unique! People can whine about it but they still wanna collect them. As for me, I just pull out the eyeshadow drawer, no hassles!

rated 3 of 5 on 1/4/2012 2:56:00 PM More reviews by bambivalente

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I really wish I could give this palette a rage review, but unfortunately, it's just sitting on my dressing table looking cute.
I absolutely LOVE the design and the colours are amazing; however, almost every single shadow creates such massive fallout that I gave up trying to use them, and I REALLY wanted to make it work. Can't bring myself to sell it, because it's just ever so pretty.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No