August 27, 2014 | 1892 users online

Treatments - ProStrong - Pro Accelerator Fluoride Nail Strengthener

rated 4 of 5 on 8/25/2011 10:02:00 PM More reviews by thirdeye32

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I like this. I have two small sample bottles that I used almost everytime I change my polish, about two or three times a week. They both are still rather full even after three or four months. It goes on nice and dries instantly. Its just as if you were putting rubbing alcohol on your nails, thats how it dries. It does seem to work because the middle nail on my right hand would always break , but the past few months its been holding up better. My nails also seem to grow faster, but they do that anyways. I like it, but would look on eBay or try to get a two for one on QVC since I think its kinda of expensive.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/31/2010 8:29:00 PM More reviews by xbanannax

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have been on a search for nail strengthening and improving products since 1993. I have bought this product over and over again since ~2001. I have bought kits as well as only the pro accelerator. The pro accelerator is really the key ingredient to all these kits. I usually purchase the 0.75 fl. oz bottles and it runs ~$19 and last for ~6 months. The Prostrong website sometimes has better deals than QVC. At times they run specials, 2 for 1 for instance, of the 0.75 oz bonus size. Do your homework and find out how much you are getting, i.e. fluid oz. vs price before you purchase from qvc or the pro strong website.

The way it works:
We all have calcium in our nails. Calcium Fluoride makes a very strong bond. By putting fluoride on our nails we strengthen them. This is similar to the way tooth paste works.

How to use:
This product is alcohol base solution and not a polish, it dries pretty fast, in 10 seconds maybe. You begin using it two times a day on clean DRY nails (polished or unpolished). If nails are wet a white haze can ruin a beautiful polish job. Once you achieve the desired hardness you can taper off to once a day. It take 6 weeks or more to see nice results as the damaged nail has to grow out. Use some sort of moisturizer since alcohol can be drying and its just good for you nails.

My experience:
I use to swear by this product (and one other) but in the last 5 years have tapered off with both. To be honest, I have not used it in about a year, but would drop everything if I started having nail issues. In the past I have noticed my nails DO get harder, but can become so hard that they break because they are brittle. I have learned the use of oil, cuticle creams, etc is just as important as the fluoride treatment; I think it circumvents the brittleness. My nails used to peel and flake off particularly the thumb, pointer and middle; this product seemed to bond all the layers together and stopped that whole mess. I also use to get really bad cracks on the side of my nails before I even saw tip, particularly on the thumbs and middle fingers. This product also stopped that. However, although I love this product, I don't think you need it if you follow steps 1-6 below.

What I do now:
Now a days I think the most important thing is to
1. moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! At least 2x a day
2. keep hands out of water (long periods with soaps like washing dishes)...wear gloves
3. avoid using nails as tools.
4. take care of cuticles, this is where your nail begins. Push them back, massage them and moisturize them.
5. do not file the sides of the nail (vertical direction to nail bed). You are basically filling off the strength.
6. Us a 220 grit file or larger. Lower grits files will tear the nail layers apart.
7. Make sure your diet is on point and you don't have some illness that effects the nails.

Happy Nails!