October 31, 2014 | 845 users online

Crème - Laura Mercier - Crème Smooth Foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 9/28/2014 11:42:00 PM More reviews by hlrk

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Large glass circular jar with screw lid and small plastic scoop to scoop out creme - comes in a box. Jar is quite bulky and heavy - not great for travelling - would recommended scooping into a small tester plastic container when travelling - do not worry, a lot goes a long way.

You have to lift off the small plastic plug from the glass jar - not fun to try and pull off after you have applied moisturiser or primer - super hard.

It smells like a sort of neutral play dough type smell - not overpowering at all.

It looks like a dollop of thickened cream - hence the creme foundation.

I apply onto my moisturised and primed skin with a sigma flat kabuki brush and buff it slightly with a beauty blender for an airbrush finish (not too much as it might take too much off) - i use tiny amounts at a time. You DO NOT want to apply a lot at all, you will have heaps left over and no where to put it.

Yes it feels a bit sticky at first but it gives the skin an amazing nourished feeling if you have dry/combo skin like myself.

I apply bronzers,illuminators, blush and minimal powder to my t zone so it takes the sticky-ness away. If you wanted to avoid powders, be careful to where your face will be and what it will be touching - will with out a doubt transfer. So take back up to reapply thruogh out the day.

After a full 9-10 hour day the result of foundation with minimal powder to set is average. Yes it feels oily in t zone and it shows in your lines. However still has a pretty good coverage left. You would need to apply more powder to fully set it so it stayed it place all day.

Coverage is ok, I would not say it is FULL like the rest of people, it is a more medium + finish. It is hard to add layers of it on top for a fuller coverage as of the creamy finish.

Finish of the creme foundation is dewy for sure and more of a satin look when powder is applied, obviously.

I have Honey Beige for summer and Sunny Beige for winter.
Honey Beige has strong orange tones but suits my skin tone well as i am a golden undertone - I can not have any pink in my makeup. For me it is a foundation for the height of summer, it is a deep colour for me.
Sunny Beige is a bit more of a tan base colour rather then golden, it does appear the tiniest amount pink on my skin but only minuscule - it is fine. Great go to colour, can apply the Honey Beige for when my skin tone is in between light and tan, a more medium colour.

Overall i would go back to this foundation as it is so moisturising for me, doesn't leave my face feeling flaky. Has great colour tones. Especially for me in summer with Honey Beige shade. Doesn't look cakey if you apply it correctly.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/30/2014 8:51:00 PM More reviews by Tbear

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It has thick, cakey texture, but it blended well and worked well on my dry skin. It's definitely for dry skin only. I wouldn't bother with this foundation if you have oily, combination or normal skin. It doesn't settle into pores, and lasts with only minimal touch up. Unfortunately, this foundation transfers. If I use blotting sheet, it comes off. If I change shirt, it might rub off. If I use powder to touch up, it rubs off. For that reason, I won't be re-purchasing. Except for the fact it transferred easily, I really liked this foundation for cold weather months.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/25/2014 1:43:00 AM More reviews by vespera

I find this foundation extremely thick so it feels heavy, it is a bit cakey, doesnt have good lasting power and my biggest gripe with this foundation - it settles into fine lines! and yes the smell does remind me of oilpaint. That being said, it photographs well I think - i actually bought it after seeing some youtube reviews and their skin looks amazing..but i just dont like the way it feels on me. :(

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2014 8:38:00 AM More reviews by richardiii

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This may well be my HG foundation. I prefer it to the By Terry foundation, the Helena Rubenstein foundation, Sisley, Chanel ... in fact, any other I've tried. I've pretty good skin with very few wrinkles (thanks to prodigious use of SPF) but I have some redness. A tiny amount of this covers everything. It was quite expensive (bought it at Space NK) but worth every penny. I put it over Chanel moisturiser, Chanel SPF30 and then Laura Mercier hydrating primer (or I skip the SPF at night). You do have to blend quickly but it gives a flawless finish. I don't mind the packaging but, then again, that's never high on my list - it's what's inside that matters - although I kind if like the "old lady" jar, but that sort of thing doesn't bother me. I'm Warm Ivory and I think I'm about NC20 in MAC.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2014 4:53:00 AM More reviews by rupcru

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I love this product. Finally a foundation that hydrates my thirsty skin and also matches my skin tone perfectly which is very rare for me. (At the MAC counter my skin colour wasn't able to be matched.) This foundation doesnt sit in my forehead wrinkles and can give you as much or as little coverage as you like. Even if you build the coverage it still looks natural and feels absolutely beautiful on the skin. I wore this for a good 10 hours and still looked flawless (a little powder on my nose to control shine). My only complaint is that its in a jar however you're given a little spatula to use instead of your fingers. I can't rave enough about this foundation.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/16/2014 10:31:00 AM More reviews by redsunset

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is my special occasion foundation for when I want to look my absolute best. It gives full coverage but still looks natural and is just perfect for my dry skin, leaving a soft dewy finish. I always get compliments when wearing this foundation. I know many people are not fond of jars, but I find the packaging classy. It is quite expensive but a little goes a long way and the results are worth the extra cost. I have only given it 4 lippies purely for the fact it is quite heavy so unsuitable for everyday use, and it is also quite difficult to apply.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/10/2014 1:13:00 PM More reviews by loveylove

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

rated 4 of 5 on 3/2/2014 8:09:00 AM More reviews by jademichelle9

First off, this is a WINTER ONLY foundation. It's extremely thick, heavy (reminds me of oil paint tbh) and FULL coverage. If you have freckles that you are fond of, do not buy this, cos this foundation covers everything.

I happen to love this foundation, but purely for the fact that it looks amazing in photographs. This is definitely a photography/night out foundation - as an everyday foundation, not so much, it's just too heavy. It also looks pretty incredible when used with Urban Decay All Nighter - thats a match made in make up heaven when you are out until 4am. In fact, the only other person I've met who uses this as a daywear foundation is a drag queen, make of that what you will.

I have given this 4 stars as a night -out foundation & here's why:
- It looks great in photos.
- It lasts pretty well (especially with UD All Nighter Spray)
- The choice of colours is fab, they are based round pink, neutral and yellow undertones so it's the closest match I've ever had with any foundation.

Just don't buy it to wear in the day, you will look over done.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/28/2014 6:55:00 PM More reviews by katmu1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've spent most of this miserable, cold winter searching for a new foundation. I'm a big fan of Laura Mercier and creme smooth was supposed to be good for dry skin. I ended up having 2 issues with this foundation:

1. Same issue I had with LM Tinted Moisturizer (original formula) in that I'm in between shades. Porcelain ivory was a bit too light and washed me out, and warm ivory was a bit too dark. Now I might have considered mixing shades were it not for issue #2.

2. After wearing this for more than a week, with various application techniques - primer/ no primer, apply with brush / apply with fingers / apply with sponge, etc. I came to the conclusion that no matter what I did this foundation aged me. It wasn't drying but it clung to any dry spots, and seemed to really highlight texture issues on my cheeks (I have mild rosacea).

I can see how this could work great for someone with normal to dry skin who has a smoother texture that I have at the moment, but for me this may have been my biggest foundation fail to date.

I'm 43 with very dry (dry in summer), sensitive skin and mild rosacea. I'm around NC15 in MAc and Porcelain in Bobbi Brown. I would like to mention that I did not have any allergic reactions to this so that was a plus.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2014 9:10:00 PM More reviews by antolin1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is an excellent full coverage foundation for people with dry skin. It's too heavy for me in the Summer time but I love it in the Winter when my skin needs that extra layer of protection, moisture, and is a bit lighter in shade. I get a flawless application with this and a really healthy dewy finish (for me, this is best applied with my stippling brushes). Packaging is bulkier than I would like but it's such good stuff that I can overlook that. It's expensive at $50.00 an oz (gulp!) but it outshines the majority of high end foundations in terms of texture and slip, coverage, quality, and overall formulation.

The only downside to this is the same problem I have with about 85% of all foundations: shade limitation. As an NC25/30 gal during the winter months the LM shade I purchase is Sunny Beige. I find this too be more pale than I prefer so I need to go darker than I am or would like with my setting powder. But the next few shades up are either too peach or too orange for me. The pale element is my own OCD quirk and isn't something noticeable to anyone but me, so it's certainly not a deal breaker. Basically this color matches my neck and decolletage which is lighter than my body, whereas I'd rather my foundation match my body and I simply self tan my neck. This foundation is so great though I am willing to overlook this small nit-picky detail.

I highly recommend this foundation to all skin types, but especially women with dry skin. Since it is super pricey I suggest first getting matched to your shade and trying a sample OR trying the Revlon Colorstay Whipped Creme Makeup ($13.99) which is a close dupe for it. If it turns out your skin loves the texture and coverage of the Revlon, run out and buy the Mercier because its the more luxurious version.