April 20, 2014 | 1650 users online

Crème - Laura Mercier - Crème Smooth Foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 4/16/2014 10:31:00 AM More reviews by redsunset

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is my special occasion foundation for when I want to look my absolute best. It gives full coverage but still looks natural and is just perfect for my dry skin, leaving a soft dewy finish. I always get compliments when wearing this foundation. I know many people are not fond of jars, but I find the packaging classy. It is quite expensive but a little goes a long way and the results are worth the extra cost. I have only given it 4 lippies purely for the fact it is quite heavy so unsuitable for everyday use, and it is also quite difficult to apply.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/10/2014 1:13:00 PM More reviews by loveylove

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

rated 4 of 5 on 3/2/2014 8:09:00 AM More reviews by jademichelle9

First off, this is a WINTER ONLY foundation. It's extremely thick, heavy (reminds me of oil paint tbh) and FULL coverage. If you have freckles that you are fond of, do not buy this, cos this foundation covers everything.

I happen to love this foundation, but purely for the fact that it looks amazing in photographs. This is definitely a photography/night out foundation - as an everyday foundation, not so much, it's just too heavy. It also looks pretty incredible when used with Urban Decay All Nighter - thats a match made in make up heaven when you are out until 4am. In fact, the only other person I've met who uses this as a daywear foundation is a drag queen, make of that what you will.

I have given this 4 stars as a night -out foundation & here's why:
- It looks great in photos.
- It lasts pretty well (especially with UD All Nighter Spray)
- The choice of colours is fab, they are based round pink, neutral and yellow undertones so it's the closest match I've ever had with any foundation.

Just don't buy it to wear in the day, you will look over done.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/28/2014 6:55:00 PM More reviews by katmu1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've spent most of this miserable, cold winter searching for a new foundation. I'm a big fan of Laura Mercier and creme smooth was supposed to be good for dry skin. I ended up having 2 issues with this foundation:

1. Same issue I had with LM Tinted Moisturizer (original formula) in that I'm in between shades. Porcelain ivory was a bit too light and washed me out, and warm ivory was a bit too dark. Now I might have considered mixing shades were it not for issue #2.

2. After wearing this for more than a week, with various application techniques - primer/ no primer, apply with brush / apply with fingers / apply with sponge, etc. I came to the conclusion that no matter what I did this foundation aged me. It wasn't drying but it clung to any dry spots, and seemed to really highlight texture issues on my cheeks (I have mild rosacea).

I can see how this could work great for someone with normal to dry skin who has a smoother texture that I have at the moment, but for me this may have been my biggest foundation fail to date.

I'm 43 with very dry (dry in summer), sensitive skin and mild rosacea. I'm around NC15 in MAc and Porcelain in Bobbi Brown. I would like to mention that I did not have any allergic reactions to this so that was a plus.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2014 9:10:00 PM More reviews by antolin1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is an excellent full coverage foundation for people with dry skin. It's too heavy for me in the Summer time but I love it in the Winter when my skin needs that extra layer of protection, moisture, and is a bit lighter in shade. I get a flawless application with this and a really healthy dewy finish (for me, this is best applied with my stippling brushes). Packaging is bulkier than I would like but it's such good stuff that I can overlook that. It's expensive at $50.00 an oz (gulp!) but it outshines the majority of high end foundations in terms of texture and slip, coverage, quality, and overall formulation.

The only downside to this is the same problem I have with about 85% of all foundations: shade limitation. As an NC25/30 gal during the winter months the LM shade I purchase is Sunny Beige. I find this too be more pale than I prefer so I need to go darker than I am or would like with my setting powder. But the next few shades up are either too peach or too orange for me. The pale element is my own OCD quirk and isn't something noticeable to anyone but me, so it's certainly not a deal breaker. Basically this color matches my neck and decolletage which is lighter than my body, whereas I'd rather my foundation match my body and I simply self tan my neck. This foundation is so great though I am willing to overlook this small nit-picky detail.

I highly recommend this foundation to all skin types, but especially women with dry skin. Since it is super pricey I suggest first getting matched to your shade and trying a sample OR trying the Revlon Colorstay Whipped Creme Makeup ($13.99) which is a close dupe for it. If it turns out your skin loves the texture and coverage of the Revlon, run out and buy the Mercier because its the more luxurious version.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/20/2014 5:56:00 PM More reviews by Esmerelda55

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

After reading so many great reviews from ladies my own age and with my own skin challenges, I made a five hour round trip to Nordstroms for a color match. I came home with so many things.. but that's another story. :)
What the people who love it say is true. You just can't do this with a brush and, for me anyway, not even my beloved Beauty Blender. This is a fingers only kind of application. So, yes, it takes a little longer. But it is really, really worth it.
I've been using it for about 6 weeks now and went through some extreme hate. Because I refused to conform. hehehe. I tried every method of application and also used way too much product. I mixed it with other foundations, I mixed it with lotions, yada yada.
It was when I hunkered down and did a couple simple steps that I fell in love.
Sunscreen, primer, lotion, finger application. Not too thick, either... it will look blech fast if you try and layer it up. But you just don't need to. I have some pretty badly sun damaged skin and this is just lovely on it. I look in the mirror out in the car in the full sun and I swear it doesn't look like I have foundation on.
It feels great. I don't notice I'm wearing it.
It lasts all day.
My skin doesn't mind it at all.
I scoop a bit onto the back of my hand, use my fingers and work it into my face. Then what's left on my hand gets used on the back of my hands.
Love it.
I highly recommend it, but only if you're willing to work with it the way it requires.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/20/2014 10:59:00 AM More reviews by mskittynoir

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Hello, I love this foundation. It's a fuller coverage, it lasts all day...I use my finger tips and blend around the edges after application with my flat sigma max brush. If you use a foundation brush with this, it will be too cakey. You need just the smallest amout, less than a pea size. I finish with dusting MakeUpForever Hd loose powder with the Mac stippling brush. Perfect color for my yellow pale skin, I am a NC 10-15 (Mac is too pinky for me) I use Porcelain Ivory, it's perfect beyond words. Looks darker in container, goes on lighter. I have sensitive combo skin. 32 years old. The contain is kinda sucky, but it's worth the extra time to take the lil applicator to dig out a pea amout. Got it at Nordstroms 50$, sephora discontinued it. Thank you Laura!!! I also use Sisley Éclat foundation for a lighter coverage in porcelain.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/12/2014 3:54:00 PM More reviews by yummymummy2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

For once I found a foundation that was too pale for me!
Loved the texture- bit like applying a moisturiser. Good coverage. Dewy but not greasy.
BUT- Porcelain Ivory was too pale by about a shade- made me look ghostly.
In Bobbi Brown I use Porcelain.
Back to Laura Mercier....Porcelain Blush is far too pink and the next shade up is too dark.

So- no good for me which is sad.

I'm afraid the same applies to all LM foundations because the range of shades is just not there for me.

I don't like the jar packaging. It reminds me of what an older woman might be perceived to like on her dressing table- I'd rather have a tube that was portable in my handbag!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/25/2014 2:49:00 AM More reviews by road2lane

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

LOVE this makeup. HG for sure. The only annoying thing is I have to buy two shades then mix.( Warm/Blush Ivory) If I had to I could maybe get away with just Warm Ivory. This looks so natural on me. I love the way my face looks with this, and it will never "peel" if you are dry. You only need a little bit or you can cake it... as it is full coverage.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/13/2013 11:37:00 AM More reviews by Refuge

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is my HG foundation! I got a small sample in a swap and immediately saw that I couldn't live without it. I am 41 years old and while I've always had decent skin, I've noticed that as I get older my skintone is not as even. I used to be a loyal fan of LM's tinted moisturizer, but as soon as I tried the Creme Smooth foundation, I saw how much better my skin could look. This gives a lot of coverage without looking cakey or fake. It wears beautifully all day and there are tons of shades. I wear the Warm Ivory and used to be Sand in the tinted moisturizer. I think I'm roughly an NC30, if that helps others choose. Wonderful foundation! It is pricey but you get a lot of it. I try to time my purchases with FF sales at Sephora.