September 17, 2014 | 1937 users online

Crème - Laura Mercier - Crème Smooth Foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 8/30/2014 8:51:00 PM More reviews by Tbear

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It has thick, cakey texture, but it blended well and worked well on my dry skin. It's definitely for dry skin only. I wouldn't bother with this foundation if you have oily, combination or normal skin. It doesn't settle into pores, and lasts with only minimal touch up. Unfortunately, this foundation transfers. If I use blotting sheet, it comes off. If I change shirt, it might rub off. If I use powder to touch up, it rubs off. For that reason, I won't be re-purchasing. Except for the fact it transferred easily, I really liked this foundation for cold weather months.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/25/2014 1:43:00 AM More reviews by vespera

I find this foundation extremely thick so it feels heavy, it is a bit cakey, doesnt have good lasting power and my biggest gripe with this foundation - it settles into fine lines! and yes the smell does remind me of oilpaint. That being said, it photographs well I think - i actually bought it after seeing some youtube reviews and their skin looks amazing..but i just dont like the way it feels on me. :(

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2014 8:38:00 AM More reviews by richardiii

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This may well be my HG foundation. I prefer it to the By Terry foundation, the Helena Rubenstein foundation, Sisley, Chanel ... in fact, any other I've tried. I've pretty good skin with very few wrinkles (thanks to prodigious use of SPF) but I have some redness. A tiny amount of this covers everything. It was quite expensive (bought it at Space NK) but worth every penny. I put it over Chanel moisturiser, Chanel SPF30 and then Laura Mercier hydrating primer (or I skip the SPF at night). You do have to blend quickly but it gives a flawless finish. I don't mind the packaging but, then again, that's never high on my list - it's what's inside that matters - although I kind if like the "old lady" jar, but that sort of thing doesn't bother me. I'm Warm Ivory and I think I'm about NC20 in MAC.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2014 4:53:00 AM More reviews by rupcru

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I love this product. Finally a foundation that hydrates my thirsty skin and also matches my skin tone perfectly which is very rare for me. (At the MAC counter my skin colour wasn't able to be matched.) This foundation doesnt sit in my forehead wrinkles and can give you as much or as little coverage as you like. Even if you build the coverage it still looks natural and feels absolutely beautiful on the skin. I wore this for a good 10 hours and still looked flawless (a little powder on my nose to control shine). My only complaint is that its in a jar however you're given a little spatula to use instead of your fingers. I can't rave enough about this foundation.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/16/2014 10:31:00 AM More reviews by redsunset

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is my special occasion foundation for when I want to look my absolute best. It gives full coverage but still looks natural and is just perfect for my dry skin, leaving a soft dewy finish. I always get compliments when wearing this foundation. I know many people are not fond of jars, but I find the packaging classy. It is quite expensive but a little goes a long way and the results are worth the extra cost. I have only given it 4 lippies purely for the fact it is quite heavy so unsuitable for everyday use, and it is also quite difficult to apply.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/10/2014 1:13:00 PM More reviews by loveylove

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

rated 4 of 5 on 3/2/2014 8:09:00 AM More reviews by jademichelle9

First off, this is a WINTER ONLY foundation. It's extremely thick, heavy (reminds me of oil paint tbh) and FULL coverage. If you have freckles that you are fond of, do not buy this, cos this foundation covers everything.

I happen to love this foundation, but purely for the fact that it looks amazing in photographs. This is definitely a photography/night out foundation - as an everyday foundation, not so much, it's just too heavy. It also looks pretty incredible when used with Urban Decay All Nighter - thats a match made in make up heaven when you are out until 4am. In fact, the only other person I've met who uses this as a daywear foundation is a drag queen, make of that what you will.

I have given this 4 stars as a night -out foundation & here's why:
- It looks great in photos.
- It lasts pretty well (especially with UD All Nighter Spray)
- The choice of colours is fab, they are based round pink, neutral and yellow undertones so it's the closest match I've ever had with any foundation.

Just don't buy it to wear in the day, you will look over done.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/28/2014 6:55:00 PM More reviews by katmu1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've spent most of this miserable, cold winter searching for a new foundation. I'm a big fan of Laura Mercier and creme smooth was supposed to be good for dry skin. I ended up having 2 issues with this foundation:

1. Same issue I had with LM Tinted Moisturizer (original formula) in that I'm in between shades. Porcelain ivory was a bit too light and washed me out, and warm ivory was a bit too dark. Now I might have considered mixing shades were it not for issue #2.

2. After wearing this for more than a week, with various application techniques - primer/ no primer, apply with brush / apply with fingers / apply with sponge, etc. I came to the conclusion that no matter what I did this foundation aged me. It wasn't drying but it clung to any dry spots, and seemed to really highlight texture issues on my cheeks (I have mild rosacea).

I can see how this could work great for someone with normal to dry skin who has a smoother texture that I have at the moment, but for me this may have been my biggest foundation fail to date.

I'm 43 with very dry (dry in summer), sensitive skin and mild rosacea. I'm around NC15 in MAc and Porcelain in Bobbi Brown. I would like to mention that I did not have any allergic reactions to this so that was a plus.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2014 9:10:00 PM More reviews by antolin1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is an excellent full coverage foundation for people with dry skin. It's too heavy for me in the Summer time but I love it in the Winter when my skin needs that extra layer of protection, moisture, and is a bit lighter in shade. I get a flawless application with this and a really healthy dewy finish (for me, this is best applied with my stippling brushes). Packaging is bulkier than I would like but it's such good stuff that I can overlook that. It's expensive at $50.00 an oz (gulp!) but it outshines the majority of high end foundations in terms of texture and slip, coverage, quality, and overall formulation.

The only downside to this is the same problem I have with about 85% of all foundations: shade limitation. As an NC25/30 gal during the winter months the LM shade I purchase is Sunny Beige. I find this too be more pale than I prefer so I need to go darker than I am or would like with my setting powder. But the next few shades up are either too peach or too orange for me. The pale element is my own OCD quirk and isn't something noticeable to anyone but me, so it's certainly not a deal breaker. Basically this color matches my neck and decolletage which is lighter than my body, whereas I'd rather my foundation match my body and I simply self tan my neck. This foundation is so great though I am willing to overlook this small nit-picky detail.

I highly recommend this foundation to all skin types, but especially women with dry skin. Since it is super pricey I suggest first getting matched to your shade and trying a sample OR trying the Revlon Colorstay Whipped Creme Makeup ($13.99) which is a close dupe for it. If it turns out your skin loves the texture and coverage of the Revlon, run out and buy the Mercier because its the more luxurious version.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/20/2014 5:56:00 PM More reviews by Esmerelda55

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

After reading so many great reviews from ladies my own age and with my own skin challenges, I made a five hour round trip to Nordstroms for a color match. I came home with so many things.. but that's another story. :)
What the people who love it say is true. You just can't do this with a brush and, for me anyway, not even my beloved Beauty Blender. This is a fingers only kind of application. So, yes, it takes a little longer. But it is really, really worth it.
I've been using it for about 6 weeks now and went through some extreme hate. Because I refused to conform. hehehe. I tried every method of application and also used way too much product. I mixed it with other foundations, I mixed it with lotions, yada yada.
It was when I hunkered down and did a couple simple steps that I fell in love.
Sunscreen, primer, lotion, finger application. Not too thick, either... it will look blech fast if you try and layer it up. But you just don't need to. I have some pretty badly sun damaged skin and this is just lovely on it. I look in the mirror out in the car in the full sun and I swear it doesn't look like I have foundation on.
It feels great. I don't notice I'm wearing it.
It lasts all day.
My skin doesn't mind it at all.
I scoop a bit onto the back of my hand, use my fingers and work it into my face. Then what's left on my hand gets used on the back of my hands.
Love it.
I highly recommend it, but only if you're willing to work with it the way it requires.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No