March 3, 2015 | 1074 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Matte - Carbon

rated 4 of 5 on 2/18/2015 2:49:00 AM More reviews by cllien

Good basic black. Not super pigmented, but I agree with other reviewers that it is nice to have more control in building the color. Can be tricky to blend. Typographic is much more pigmented but unfortunately I had an allergic reaction, so I'm sticking with Carbon. I use it in the outer V, crease, and as a liner.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/18/2015 9:59:00 AM More reviews by rayoflight121

First swatch isn't very impressive. I'm used to having eyeshadows having full on pigment, when testing them out. But this does what its supposed to and blends perfectly. Its easy to layer and is easy to work with. Most black shadows deposit too heavily and ruin my eye looks. Its nice and black without all the trouble they usually cause.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/18/2014 6:08:00 PM More reviews by blair_77_1999

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

There is nothing special about Carbon. It looks black but shows up dark grey & is very dupe able. It was not worth the $16 as its not a color I reach for often. Also for a color as basic as black Sally Girl would be a great alternative. I ended up giving this away & will not repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/14/2014 9:49:00 PM More reviews by PlanetAmour

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I use this more as an eyeliner than a shadow and for that purpose I love it. It's a nice matte black. Great quality, doesn't make a mess. Love!

rated 2 of 5 on 8/1/2014 7:40:00 AM More reviews by Theiuare

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is kinda patchy. I think there are other matte blacks that will work better.
Meh.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/6/2014 11:28:00 PM More reviews by kblimm

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Perfect crease color for a dramatic effect. I find it highly pigmented, so don't put too much on your brush at one time. It's better to start off with a little bit and work your way up. I like to use the MAC #217 blending brush to apply this to my crease. This black basically works with any eye shadow color. I like how it is matte...That way I can just add some shimmer powder over it when I am in the mood for it!

I use my smashbox eyeliner brush to apply this is an eyeliner as well. It's easy to smudge if you want to, and I don't get a lot of fall out when I use it!

rated 2 of 5 on 3/25/2014 9:01:00 PM More reviews by prettysaysay

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Eh, Carbon. Formulation has changed significantly over the years, not nearly as pigmented or smooth as it once was. In order for me to even get a somewhat decent smoky eye with it, I have to use Blackground paint pot as a base & load TONS of Carbon onto a brush. With so many other better black e/s on the market (Sugarpill, Saucebox, MUG, even Milani for half the price MAC is), MAC better step their game up, in a hurry!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2014 1:40:00 AM More reviews by prettygirlmo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've had this eyeshadow for years, and it's not even close to showing pan. It isn't my favorite matte black eyeshadow to use, because it's not very pigmented, it's fairly patchy, and it can be hard to blend. If you want to use it for a smokey eye, you really need a dark cream eyeshadow as a base first. You're better off using Urban Decay's Blackout.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/18/2013 4:53:00 PM More reviews by ninnu

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I use this as eyeliner with wet eyeliner brush. Carbon is very well pigmented eye shadow, but requires primer to stay in place.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/9/2013 4:14:00 PM More reviews by greenbird

Emily Noel said that the black shade in the Wet N Wild Blue had me at Hellow palette was blacker than Carbon. She swatched it-and it was noticeably darker than Carbon. I have that palette, and the black alone seems worth it to me to get the whole palette (however, I like blues). If you want to buy the single dupe-Wet N Wild Panther was recommended. Carbon is not the blackest black color you can find-however, some fairer skin tones look very harsh with a super black eyeshadow. Perhaps if you only use it wet or dry as a liner on the lash line-it's not so overwhelming to go black. I have medium toned skin (like an NC35) and I can handle color-like a blacket black shade. I have tried Carbon and it is not so unique that I would keep shelling out for it. But its not glittery, and makes a wonderful accent color to deepen your smokey eye. Even when I wear other colors-brown, grey, blue, green, purple, pink on my lids-Carbon deepens the color. However, you can find better or very similar replacements for a fraction of the cost.