MAC Matte - Carbon

4.1

Talc, Zinc Stearate, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Isostearyl Neopentanoate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Caprylyl Glycol, Hexylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol [ /- Silica, Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090), Carmine (CI 75470), Chromium Hydroxide Green (CI 77289), Chromium Oxide Greens (CI 77288), Ferric Ferrocyanide (CI 77510), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Red 40 Lake (CI 16035), Ultramarines (CI 77007), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140)]

on 4/30/2015 9:29:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I'd say this is a decent, basic black. Carbon is MAC's matte black. It's not charcoal or grey, but it's a basic black. I purposely LIKE the fact that this isn't an incredibly dark black. I know some reviews of it aren't good, but I like the fact that you can use to to smoke up an eye look without completely blacking out other colors that you're using. I've had this for years and it barely has a dip in it. This is also great for setting eyeliner or using wet as a liner itself. It can apply a little patchy if you're using it alone, but used over a darker base it's fine.

on 4/30/2015 9:01:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

On the phone ordering I asked the dude for a "basic black matte e/s single" & he said Carbon. So that is what I got bought sight unseen. I really like it thou. I wear it as an eyeshadow somexs, a liner w a bent brush (wet or dry), & mostly for tracing over my eyeliners to "set" then. This is very black & matte. Any "blacker" would be a goth sort of look which is not what I'm going for. I'm sorry to see the bad reviews. I have wnw Panther & it's good if ur frugal but if you can spend it get MAC Carbon. It's so much less likely to smudge & more likely to stay where you tell it to stay (lol!), I've had a few DS blacks like Maybelline, CG, & wnw but they are subpar compared to Carbon. If you really prefer the best get Carbon. I don't get how people are saying it's not black. It's your basic black. Not charcoal or grey or blue. I use this to smoke out my eyes & wear Myth lipstick/lipglass. Perfect! I would rebuy but it's gonna take me forever to use it up!! I love me some MAC!! There are also some good blacks in the Nakeds palette .... Theres a w red glitter one; & in the Clinique All About Eyes palette there is an excellent black fwiw but carbon is the best!!!!

on 3/17/2015 1:18:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Ultimate jet black matte eyeshadow that last long and doesn't smudge on me. I use this to set my liquid liner (Jordana FabuLiner) and it really makes a difference. It makes my liner last longer, even at the gym when I go after work! It stays in place and keeps the liner looking matte which is great. The only small downfall is that there is some fallout, but I place some tissue under the eye before I apply it and there isn't any issues. I had it for about 3-4 months and its still going. I will definitely repurchase!

on 2/18/2015 2:49:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Good basic black. Not super pigmented, but I agree with other reviewers that it is nice to have more control in building the color. Can be tricky to blend. Typographic is much more pigmented but unfortunately I had an allergic reaction, so I'm sticking with Carbon. I use it in the outer V, crease, and as a liner.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

First swatch isn't very impressive. I'm used to having eyeshadows having full on pigment, when testing them out. But this does what its supposed to and blends perfectly. Its easy to layer and is easy to work with. Most black shadows deposit too heavily and ruin my eye looks. Its nice and black without all the trouble they usually cause.

on 10/18/2014 6:08:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

There is nothing special about Carbon. It looks black but shows up dark grey & is very dupe able. It was not worth the $16 as its not a color I reach for often. Also for a color as basic as black Sally Girl would be a great alternative. I ended up giving this away & will not repurchase.

on 8/14/2014 9:49:00 PM

I use this more as an eyeliner than a shadow and for that purpose I love it. It's a nice matte black. Great quality, doesn't make a mess. Love!

on 8/1/2014 7:40:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

This is kinda patchy. I think there are other matte blacks that will work better.
Meh.

on 5/6/2014 11:28:00 PM

Perfect crease color for a dramatic effect. I find it highly pigmented, so don't put too much on your brush at one time. It's better to start off with a little bit and work your way up. I like to use the MAC #217 blending brush to apply this to my crease. This black basically works with any eye shadow color. I like how it is matte...That way I can just add some shimmer powder over it when I am in the mood for it!

I use my smashbox eyeliner brush to apply this is an eyeliner as well. It's easy to smudge if you want to, and I don't get a lot of fall out when I use it!

on 3/25/2014 9:01:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Eh, Carbon. Formulation has changed significantly over the years, not nearly as pigmented or smooth as it once was. In order for me to even get a somewhat decent smoky eye with it, I have to use Blackground paint pot as a base & load TONS of Carbon onto a brush. With so many other better black e/s on the market (Sugarpill, Saucebox, MUG, even Milani for half the price MAC is), MAC better step their game up, in a hurry!

Top Rated MAC Products